Tower Block fire in London?

All things Rugby
User avatar
ScarfaceClaw
Posts: 12514
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Yer Man wrote:I'm waiting to see what's in Hillary's emails... it must have been her fault.
Barrack Obama did nothing about fires in towers. Clearly ineffective.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41995
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Silver wrote:Its a bit late now. But they must have known how dangerous this product was. and that it was EU rated for a purpose that it should not have been rated for

And why not just stop selling this product full stop? They have another one that doesn't cost much more that is fire resistant.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... er-charges
The manufacturer of the insulation used in the £8.6m refurbishment of Grenfell Tower has announced the material will no longer be supplied for use in cladding on high-rise buildings.

Celotex said it was stopping the supply of Celotex RS5000 for rainscreen cladding systems in buildings over 18 metres tall “with immediate effect, including in respect of ongoing projects, pending further clarity”.
Sometimes I think there is more than one shill using the Silver login. Silver keeps posting stuff that has been posted many times and discussed many times before on previous pages. I've noticed this on different threads as well.
Silver
Posts: 9980
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Silver »

McDonnell goes lumbering in like a fool
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -mcdonnell
Grenfell Tower victims 'murdered by political decisions' – John McDonnell

Shadow chancellor’s claim at Glastonbury festival debate bound to anger Tory MPs who accuse Labour of politicising disaster

Rajeev Syal

Sunday 25 June 2017 15.04 BST
Last modified on Sunday 25 June 2017 19.44 BST

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, has claimed that the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire were “murdered by political decisions”, saying politicians’ decisions over recent decades were important factors in the deaths of 79 people in the tower block in north Kensington, London.

Addressing a debate on Sunday at the Glastonbury festival, in Somerset, chaired by the Guardian’s John Harris, McDonnell said: “Is democracy working? It didn’t work if you were a family living on the 20th floor of Grenfell Tower. Those families, those individuals – 79 so far and there will be more – were murdered by political decisions that were taken over recent decades.”

The strength of the language used by the MP, whose Hayes and Harlington constituency is a few miles from the site of the tower block fire, will anger some Conservative MPs who have accused Labour of trying to politicise a disaster.

McDonnell added that housing provision was now driven by profitability instead of need. “The decisions not to build homes and to view housing as only for financial speculation rather than for meeting a basic human need, made by politicians over decades, murdered those families,” he said. “The decision to close fire stations and to cut 10,000 firefighters and then to freeze their pay for over a decade contributed to those deaths inevitably and they were political decisions.”

McDonnell’s intervention came amid continuing tension in Camden, north London, where the local council is trying to persuade remaining residents to leave their homes in tower blocks where most have been evacuated.

Thousands of residents have left their homes on the Chalcots estate after an evacuation operation which began Friday to clear the buildings because of an “unacceptable fire risk”. Some residents said they had been intimidated by security guards.

The effort to clear the estate comes after the government revealed that all of the 34 high-rises that submitted building cladding samples for inspection after the Grenfell Tower disaster failed combustibility tests. Hundreds more blocks have still to be tested.

The Glastonbury debate took place on Sunday in the Left Field a day after Labour’s leader, Jeremy Corbyn, drew a crowd of thousands to the Pyramid stage. McDonnell appeared with the Green party’s co-leader Jonathan Bartley, and Faiza Shaheen, an economist.

McDonnell’s words echoed the claims of the Labour MP Diane Abbott, who told a Progress meeting on Saturday that the final death toll from the Grenfell Tower would exceed 100 and blamed the disaster on Conservative attitudes towards social housing.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 17023
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Silver wrote:Its a bit late now. But they must have known how dangerous this product was. and that it was EU rated for a purpose that it should not have been rated for

And why not just stop selling this product full stop? They have another one that doesn't cost much more that is fire resistant.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... er-charges
The manufacturer of the insulation used in the £8.6m refurbishment of Grenfell Tower has announced the material will no longer be supplied for use in cladding on high-rise buildings.

Celotex said it was stopping the supply of Celotex RS5000 for rainscreen cladding systems in buildings over 18 metres tall “with immediate effect, including in respect of ongoing projects, pending further clarity”.
Lying scum, your trolling off the back of a lot of dead people. You're despicable beyond words.
User avatar
camroc1
Posts: 43361
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by camroc1 »

Gavin Duffy wrote:Also, there is an error/ambiguity in the British Building Regulations between what is called up in Diagram 40 and what is stated in Appendix A7. Could become and issue in any legal action although the Reynobond PE doesn't appear to comply with either anyway.
There are generally two ways to comply with all building regs. A 'deemed to' comply if the specific detail(or diagram) is followed exactly in construction. Most Building Regs will also give the option of individually proving compliance by reference to specific Euronorms. Most specifiers go the 'approved detail' route, but there are cases where that detail obviously can't apply, where proof from scratch by reference to relevant Euronorms is required.
User avatar
theo
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by theo »

McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
ID2
Posts: 3253
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by ID2 »

Anonymous. wrote:
Silver wrote:Its a bit late now. But they must have known how dangerous this product was. and that it was EU rated for a purpose that it should not have been rated for

And why not just stop selling this product full stop? They have another one that doesn't cost much more that is fire resistant.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... er-charges
The manufacturer of the insulation used in the £8.6m refurbishment of Grenfell Tower has announced the material will no longer be supplied for use in cladding on high-rise buildings.

Celotex said it was stopping the supply of Celotex RS5000 for rainscreen cladding systems in buildings over 18 metres tall “with immediate effect, including in respect of ongoing projects, pending further clarity”.
Sometimes I think there is more than one shill using the Silver login. Silver keeps posting stuff that has been posted many times and discussed many times before on previous pages. I've noticed this on different threads as well.

One account many users vs. Many accounts one user
This could be a battle for the ages
User avatar
blindcider
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by blindcider »

ID2 wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
Silver wrote:Its a bit late now. But they must have known how dangerous this product was. and that it was EU rated for a purpose that it should not have been rated for

And why not just stop selling this product full stop? They have another one that doesn't cost much more that is fire resistant.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... er-charges
The manufacturer of the insulation used in the £8.6m refurbishment of Grenfell Tower has announced the material will no longer be supplied for use in cladding on high-rise buildings.

Celotex said it was stopping the supply of Celotex RS5000 for rainscreen cladding systems in buildings over 18 metres tall “with immediate effect, including in respect of ongoing projects, pending further clarity”.
Sometimes I think there is more than one shill using the Silver login. Silver keeps posting stuff that has been posted many times and discussed many times before on previous pages. I've noticed this on different threads as well.

One account many users vs. Many accounts one user
This could be a battle for the ages
No account
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41995
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Silver wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
armchair pundit wrote:Silver, how confident are you that the inquiry will conclude that the EU was to blame for the disaster ?
Maybe a fairer question would be how confident is he that the inquiry will show the boards complied with EU regs. UK regs not being an issue as according to Silver they cannot be more stringent because UK manufacturers of safe boards would have an unfair advantage in the UK over EU manufacturers of unsafe boards.
A trade agreement (like the single market) must cover regulations otherwise individual countries will use stds (regulations) to impose non tariff restrictions on other countries. So it was important that the EU when they take over (like they have with cladding) must come up with a good set of regulations.

Thankfully stds setting is now moving to international bodies. But once again they must get the stds right. Not for example buckle under when lobbyists do their thing.
I think the enquiry will find that the boards used did meet EU regs and I think the government panicked when they declared they were illegal in the UK. I do find it very hard to believe we cant have regs in the the UK that mean these boards cannot be used.
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22087
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by sewa »

Anonymous. wrote:
armchair pundit wrote:Silver, how confident are you that the inquiry will conclude that the EU was to blame for the disaster ?
Maybe a fairer question would be how confident is he that the inquiry will show the boards complied with EU regs. UK regs not being an issue as according to Silver they cannot be more stringent because UK manufacturers of safe boards would have an unfair advantage in the UK over EU manufacturers of unsafe boards.

The EU needs to investigate Scotland for breaking the rules
The Scottish Government has already said that no council or housing association high-rise block has cladding of the type believed to have been used in Grenfell Tower.
A good point and pretty much the key to the whole thing
User avatar
Lobby
Posts: 1598
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Lobby »

theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
User avatar
croyals
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by croyals »

theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
McDonnell is Labour's major weakness IMO. A genuinely nasty piece of work who feels vindicated by the election, he is going to wildly overstep sooner rather than later.
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22087
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by sewa »

Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
These types of slurs are convincing no one. The Tories dirty tricks campaign has backfired.
Brazil
Posts: 8108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Brazil »

Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
Ouch :lol:
User avatar
theo
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by theo »

sewa wrote:
Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
These types of slurs are convincing no one. The Tories dirty tricks campaign has backfired.
By 56 seats.
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 16126
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by RodneyRegis »

theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Would not be out of place in pre-war russia.
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22087
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by sewa »

theo wrote:
sewa wrote:
Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
These types of slurs are convincing no one. The Tories dirty tricks campaign has backfired.
By 56 seats.
You wanted a mandate, you went for the kill. It backfired, you have actually done the impossible - made Corbyn electable
User avatar
RodneyRegis
Posts: 16126
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by RodneyRegis »

Silver wrote:McDonnell goes lumbering in like a fool
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -mcdonnell
Grenfell Tower victims 'murdered by political decisions' – John McDonnell

Shadow chancellor’s claim at Glastonbury festival debate bound to anger Tory MPs who accuse Labour of politicising disaster

Rajeev Syal

Sunday 25 June 2017 15.04 BST
Last modified on Sunday 25 June 2017 19.44 BST

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, has claimed that the victims of the Grenfell Tower fire were “murdered by political decisions”, saying politicians’ decisions over recent decades were important factors in the deaths of 79 people in the tower block in north Kensington, London.

Addressing a debate on Sunday at the Glastonbury festival, in Somerset, chaired by the Guardian’s John Harris, McDonnell said: “Is democracy working? It didn’t work if you were a family living on the 20th floor of Grenfell Tower. Those families, those individuals – 79 so far and there will be more – were murdered by political decisions that were taken over recent decades.”

The strength of the language used by the MP, whose Hayes and Harlington constituency is a few miles from the site of the tower block fire, will anger some Conservative MPs who have accused Labour of trying to politicise a disaster.

McDonnell added that housing provision was now driven by profitability instead of need. “The decisions not to build homes and to view housing as only for financial speculation rather than for meeting a basic human need, made by politicians over decades, murdered those families,” he said. “The decision to close fire stations and to cut 10,000 firefighters and then to freeze their pay for over a decade contributed to those deaths inevitably and they were political decisions.”

McDonnell’s intervention came amid continuing tension in Camden, north London, where the local council is trying to persuade remaining residents to leave their homes in tower blocks where most have been evacuated.

Thousands of residents have left their homes on the Chalcots estate after an evacuation operation which began Friday to clear the buildings because of an “unacceptable fire risk”. Some residents said they had been intimidated by security guards.

The effort to clear the estate comes after the government revealed that all of the 34 high-rises that submitted building cladding samples for inspection after the Grenfell Tower disaster failed combustibility tests. Hundreds more blocks have still to be tested.

The Glastonbury debate took place on Sunday in the Left Field a day after Labour’s leader, Jeremy Corbyn, drew a crowd of thousands to the Pyramid stage. McDonnell appeared with the Green party’s co-leader Jonathan Bartley, and Faiza Shaheen, an economist.

McDonnell’s words echoed the claims of the Labour MP Diane Abbott, who told a Progress meeting on Saturday that the final death toll from the Grenfell Tower would exceed 100 and blamed the disaster on Conservative attitudes towards social housing.
:lol: that debate sounds diverse and balanced.
User avatar
theo
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by theo »

sewa wrote:
theo wrote:
sewa wrote:
Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
These types of slurs are convincing no one. The Tories dirty tricks campaign has backfired.
By 56 seats.
You wanted a mandate, you went for the kill. It backfired, you have actually done the impossible - made Corbyn electable
He's no more electable then he was prior to the election being called. It just that the campaigns of each party were chalk and cheese.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41995
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Anonymous 1 »

I felt sorry for this guy. He was so nervous he stuttered more than Mrs May
A senior minister has denied there is a Government "cover up" around the Grenfell fire

Senior minister has denied there is a Government "cover up" around the Grenfell fire, but still refused to give straight answers to questions about the legality of the tower's cladding and number of victims.

Housing Minister Alok Sharma repeatedly dodged questions in a series of interviews as anger at the Government's response to the tragedy simmers.

He also sought to point the finger of blame at councils for the slow pace of tests to discover if hundreds of other buildings also have flammable cladding similar to that linked to Grenfell's blaze.

Mr Sharma who only took up his job as the minister responsible for housing the day before the fire tore through Grenfell Tower in Kensington, first appeared on ITV's Good Morning Britain where he refused to be drawn on whether cladding on the building was illegal.

He was asked at least five times, but only told viewers, "from what we've seen it would suggest that the material used was combustible".
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 08076.html
armchair pundit
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by armchair pundit »

How the fudge could this Mcdonell geezer ever be chancellor of the exchequer ffs ??????
User avatar
theo
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by theo »

FFS this continued badgering about the number of deaths. They don't know. They don't know because they have no idea how many people were in the tower when it went up and they haven't been able to identify all of the bodies yet.

Really shit reporting.
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22087
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by sewa »

theo wrote:
sewa wrote: You wanted a mandate, you went for the kill. It backfired, you have actually done the impossible - made Corbyn electable
He's no more electable then he was prior to the election being called. It just that the campaigns of each party were chalk and cheese.
I agree, how they thought run and hide would be a decent election strategy is beyond me. It points to a serious lack of political understanding in Tory HQ. When you look at that last article quoted above it only reinforces it. People want answers and this clown just refuses to say anything, he'd have been better off not turning up
User avatar
theo
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by theo »

They can't give answers as they don't know. Better to not say something wrong, particularly when commenting on the number of dead.

However it would appear to me that someone massively messed up when designing the cladding.
User avatar
croyals
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by croyals »

sewa wrote:
Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
These types of slurs are convincing no one. The Tories dirty tricks campaign has backfired.
In what way is this, against John McDonnell, a smear?
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22087
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by sewa »

croyals wrote:
sewa wrote:
Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
These types of slurs are convincing no one. The Tories dirty tricks campaign has backfired.
In what way is this, against John McDonnell, a smear?
Because its a completely inaccurate reporting of his position on the matter. The british public have started to see through the rubbish accusations though
bimboman
Posts: 70523
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by bimboman »


I wonder what he was apologising for Sewa, being misrepresented ?

You're a stupid c unt.
User avatar
croyals
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by croyals »

sewa wrote:
croyals wrote:
sewa wrote:
Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
These types of slurs are convincing no one. The Tories dirty tricks campaign has backfired.
In what way is this, against John McDonnell, a smear?
Because its a completely inaccurate reporting of his position on the matter. The british public have started to see through the rubbish accusations though
The bullet and the bomb were used in a peaceful, tolerant and progressive way I guess.

FWIW I think the Tories should focus less on IRA links and more on consequences of socialist policies in Venezuela etc but it doesn't change the facts in respect to the lifetime positions of people like McDonnell.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41995
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Anonymous 1 »

theo wrote:
sewa wrote: You wanted a mandate, you went for the kill. It backfired, you have actually done the impossible - made Corbyn electable
He's no more electable then he was prior to the election being called. It just that the campaigns of each party were chalk and cheese.
No more fit for office now then when they called the election. However he is clearly more electable now than when they called the election.
User avatar
theo
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by theo »

sewa wrote:
croyals wrote:
sewa wrote:
Lobby wrote:
theo wrote:McDonnell acting the tit again I see.
Indeed, he's usually in favour of the murder of British citizens.
These types of slurs are convincing no one. The Tories dirty tricks campaign has backfired.
In what way is this, against John McDonnell, a smear?
Because its a completely inaccurate reporting of his position on the matter. The british public have started to see through the rubbish accusations though
What's inaccurate. He said, very clearly, that those killed in the Grenfull Tower were murdered.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40401314
He said: "Is democracy working? It didn't work if you were a family living on the 20th floor of Grenfell Tower.
"Those families, those individuals - 79 so far and there will be more - were murdered by political decisions that were taken over recent decades.
"The decision not to build homes and to view housing as only for financial speculation rather than for meeting a basic human need made by politicians over decades murdered those families.
"The decision to close fire stations and to cut 10,000 fire fighters and then to freeze their pay for over a decade contributed to those deaths inevitably, and they were political decisions."
A source close to Mr McDonnell confirmed the quotes were accurate.
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22087
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by sewa »

This position upsets you? Its a perfectly understandable position and not in any way contraversial imo.

''Let me be clear, I abhor the killing of innocent human beings. My argument was that republicans had the right to honour those who had brought about this process of negotiation which had led to peace. Having achieved this central objective now it was time to move on. The future for achieving the nationalists' goals is through the political process and in particular through the Northern Ireland Assembly elections... Irish republicans have to face the fact that the use of violence has resulted in unforgivable atrocities. No cause is worth the loss of a child's life. No amount of political theory will justify what has been perpetrated on the victims of the bombing campaigns."
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41995
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Lets face it. Its the worst thing McDonnell could have said. Its now shifted attention to what he said over the weekend as opposed to the Governments failure to act after the inquest on the Lakanal House fire despite the many warnings they have had from various individual experts and organisations.
It wont last long though. It does show that the guy is a fool who cant just play with a straight bat while the Tories are squirming in a shit pile of their own making.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41995
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Anonymous 1 »

sewa wrote:This position upsets you? Its a perfectly understandable position and not in any way contraversial imo.

''Let me be clear, I abhor the killing of innocent human beings. My argument was that republicans had the right to honour those who had brought about this process of negotiation which had led to peace. Having achieved this central objective now it was time to move on. The future for achieving the nationalists' goals is through the political process and in particular through the Northern Ireland Assembly elections... Irish republicans have to face the fact that the use of violence has resulted in unforgivable atrocities. No cause is worth the loss of a child's life. No amount of political theory will justify what has been perpetrated on the victims of the bombing campaigns."
The only chance of achieving anyones goal has always been through the political process. All those years of murder never achieved anything that couldnt have been achieved by putting an argument forward and getting people to vote for it.
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22087
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by sewa »

Anonymous. wrote:
sewa wrote:This position upsets you? Its a perfectly understandable position and not in any way contraversial imo.

''Let me be clear, I abhor the killing of innocent human beings. My argument was that republicans had the right to honour those who had brought about this process of negotiation which had led to peace. Having achieved this central objective now it was time to move on. The future for achieving the nationalists' goals is through the political process and in particular through the Northern Ireland Assembly elections... Irish republicans have to face the fact that the use of violence has resulted in unforgivable atrocities. No cause is worth the loss of a child's life. No amount of political theory will justify what has been perpetrated on the victims of the bombing campaigns."
The only chance of achieving anyones goal has always been through the political process. All those years of murder never achieved anything that couldnt have been achieved by putting an argument forward and getting people to vote for it.
I am not defending the RA and I agree with your point, however I don't accept the contention above (by other posters) that McDonnell supported them and their armed campaign. Its a politically motivated slur, quite childish to be fair
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41995
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Anonymous 1 »

sewa wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
sewa wrote:This position upsets you? Its a perfectly understandable position and not in any way contraversial imo.

''Let me be clear, I abhor the killing of innocent human beings. My argument was that republicans had the right to honour those who had brought about this process of negotiation which had led to peace. Having achieved this central objective now it was time to move on. The future for achieving the nationalists' goals is through the political process and in particular through the Northern Ireland Assembly elections... Irish republicans have to face the fact that the use of violence has resulted in unforgivable atrocities. No cause is worth the loss of a child's life. No amount of political theory will justify what has been perpetrated on the victims of the bombing campaigns."
The only chance of achieving anyones goal has always been through the political process. All those years of murder never achieved anything that couldnt have been achieved by putting an argument forward and getting people to vote for it.
I am not defending the RA and I agree with your point, however I don't accept the contention above (by other posters) that McDonnell supported them and their armed campaign. Its a politically motivated slur, quite childish to be fair
He was talking about honouring them for "their armed struggle". I have no doubt he, Corbyn and Abbott (she can no longer deny it as the evidence has been discovered but not to worry she no longer has an afro) all low life scum just like the IRA murderers they supported.
armchair pundit
Posts: 919
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by armchair pundit »

Corbyn was arrested in 1986 for protesting against the trial of a group of IRA members including the Brighton Bomber Patrick Magee. Magee was convicted of murdering five people and the group were convicted of planning a "massive bombing campaign in London and seaside resorts". After refusing police requests to move from outside the court, Corbyn and the other protesters were arrested for obstruction and held for five hours before being released on bail, but were not charged.[57] Following the 1987 Loughgall ambush, in which 9 IRA members were killed while trying to blow up a police station, he attended a commemoration by the Wolfe Tone Society and stated "I’m happy to commemorate all those who died fighting for an independent Ireland’.[58][59]

In the early 1990s, MI5 opened a file on Corbyn over fears his IRA links meant he could have been a threat to national security.[60][61] The Metropolitan Police's Special Branch was also monitoring Corbyn at the time, and continued to monitor him for two decades over fears he was attempting to "undermine democracy".[62][63] According to The Sunday Times, following research in Irish and Republican archives, Corbyn was involved in over 72 events connected with Sinn Fein, or other pro-republican groups, during the period of the IRA's paramilitary campaign.[64]
User avatar
sewa
Posts: 22087
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by sewa »

armchair pundit wrote:
Corbyn was arrested in 1986 for protesting against the trial of a group of IRA members including the Brighton Bomber Patrick Magee. Magee was convicted of murdering five people and the group were convicted of planning a "massive bombing campaign in London and seaside resorts". After refusing police requests to move from outside the court, Corbyn and the other protesters were arrested for obstruction and held for five hours before being released on bail, but were not charged.[57] Following the 1987 Loughgall ambush, in which 9 IRA members were killed while trying to blow up a police station, he attended a commemoration by the Wolfe Tone Society and stated "I’m happy to commemorate all those who died fighting for an independent Ireland’.[58][59]

In the early 1990s, MI5 opened a file on Corbyn over fears his IRA links meant he could have been a threat to national security.[60][61] The Metropolitan Police's Special Branch was also monitoring Corbyn at the time, and continued to monitor him for two decades over fears he was attempting to "undermine democracy".[62][63] According to The Sunday Times, following research in Irish and Republican archives, Corbyn was involved in over 72 events connected with Sinn Fein, or other pro-republican groups, during the period of the IRA's paramilitary campaign.[64]
None of which amounts to anything. If they had any credible evidence of criminal wrong doing they would have prosecuted him. Set this against the background of the time where wrongful and baseless convictions were being handed down regularly in British courts. No wonder people were protesting after the Birmingham 6 and Guilford 4 and Maguire 7 show trials.

MI5 open files on all sorts of people, again a politically motivated slur deliberately released to the press and which amounted to nothing.

You will have to come up with something other than this rubbish
User avatar
Lobby
Posts: 1598
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by Lobby »

This is from a Guardian article in 1996, long before anyone could be bothered to smear the Dear Leader:
Every few years, the London Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn indulges his romantic support for Irish republicans by using his parliamentary privileges to give them a publicity platform. These occasions always also provide a showcase for Mr Corbyn’s abiding qualities: his lack of wider political and moral judgment, his predilection for gesture politics, his insensitivity to the feelings of most Londoners and his indifference to the policies of his party… Mr Corbyn’s actions do not advance the cause of peace in Northern Ireland and are not seriously intended to do so. It is surprising that a politician as clever and important as the Sinn Fein leader should be bothered with him. Grown-up people ought to keep this childish sideshow in perspective. Mr Corbyn is a fool, and a fool whom the Labour Party would probably be better off without.
User avatar
theo
Posts: 13023
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by theo »

:lol: :lol:
User avatar
croyals
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: Tower Block fire in London?

Post by croyals »

Lobby wrote:This is from a Guardian article in 1996, long before anyone could be bothered to smear the Dear Leader:
Every few years, the London Labour MP Jeremy Corbyn indulges his romantic support for Irish republicans by using his parliamentary privileges to give them a publicity platform. These occasions always also provide a showcase for Mr Corbyn’s abiding qualities: his lack of wider political and moral judgment, his predilection for gesture politics, his insensitivity to the feelings of most Londoners and his indifference to the policies of his party… Mr Corbyn’s actions do not advance the cause of peace in Northern Ireland and are not seriously intended to do so. It is surprising that a politician as clever and important as the Sinn Fein leader should be bothered with him. Grown-up people ought to keep this childish sideshow in perspective. Mr Corbyn is a fool, and a fool whom the Labour Party would probably be better off without.
:lol:

I don't say this often but I agree with the Guardian.
Post Reply