Gatland's big choice at 10

All things Rugby
Flametop

Gatland's big choice at 10

Post by Flametop »

Gatland has proven that he is willing to drop a big name player even when it is an unpopular decision.
I don't believe that he is going to start a test with the double out half 10-12 combo, though it might feature due to injuries or with 20 mins to go as a change up.
That said, you have an out half who can pass and slot his goals and tackle who many people believe is a world class player who delivers under pressure and who should be the starting Lions 10.
But that's enough about that donkey Farrell, why would you pick him when you can have one of the best 10's in world rugby, who can control a match, run and make breaks, put players into gaps, win turnovers, hold players up to create winning mauls, slot goals, put manners on the back line and just generally be superior?

Gatland knows that Sexton is a far better player than Farrell. Sexton is playing himself back into form from injury. Gatland knows that Jonny won him the Lions series in Oz.
Don't be surprised if Farrell doesn't make the starting 15.
Saturnine

Re: Gatland's big choice at 10

Post by Saturnine »

Flametop wrote:Gatland has proven that he is willing to drop a big name player even when it is an unpopular decision.
I don't believe that he is going to start a test with the double out half 10-12 combo, though it might feature due to injuries or with 20 mins to go as a change up.
That said, you have an out half who can pass and slot his goals and tackle who many people believe is a world class player who delivers under pressure and who should be the starting Lions 10.
But that's enough about that donkey Farrell, why would you pick him when you can have one of the best 10's in world rugby, who can control a match, run and make breaks, put players into gaps, win turnovers, hold players up to create winning mauls, slot goals, put manners on the back line and just generally be superior?

Gatland knows that Sexton is a far better player than Farrell. Sexton is playing himself back into form from injury. Gatland knows that Jonny won him the Lions series in Oz.
I think most knowledgeable observers would acknowledge that Farrell and Biggar have been the better performing 10's so far on the tour.

That said, I expect Farrell and Sexton to feature in the Test 23, unless Sexton's cameo against the Crusaders was a one-off.

He's been absolute toilet for the last month of the regular season.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

10 I don't know, but t'eo and jiffy are probably nailed on in the centres.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Saturnine wrote:
Flametop wrote:Gatland has proven that he is willing to drop a big name player even when it is an unpopular decision.

I think most knowledgeable observers would acknowledge that Farrell and Biggar have been the better performing 10's so far on the tour.

That said, I expect Farrell and Sexton to feature in the Test 23, unless Sexton's cameo against the Crusaders was a one-off.

He's been absolute toilet for the last month of the regular season.
Nah, Biggar's aimless downtown kicks (along with Webb's) that invited constant counter attacks has ruled him out.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Sympathy nibble. 2013 called - they want their analysis back.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Where the fudge do you get off thinking you can select Cruden?
englishchief

Post by englishchief »

But that's enough about that donkey Farrell, why would you pick him when you can have one of the best 10's in world rugby, who can control a match, run and make breaks :lol: , put players into gaps, win turnovers, hold players up to create winning mauls, slot goals, put manners on the back line and just generally be superior?

Gatland knows that Sexton is a far better player than Farrell :lol: . Sexton is playing himself back into form from injury. Gatland knows that Jonny won him the Lions series in Oz.
You must be drunk
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

It is a big choice, but I think we can all agree that Biggar has proven himself to be the best candidate. :thumbup:
Red Chopper

Post by Red Chopper »

Jeff the Bear wrote:It is a big choice, but I think we can all agree that Biggar has proven himself to be the best candidate. :thumbup:
Bit early to be drinking, isn't it Jeff?
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

If I was Gatland, Faz would have been the first name on my Lions selection sheet...
nardol

Post by nardol »

All that bluster about oh Farrel and sexton so amazing after the game before last...

Neither were that good... Murray and the pack won that game.
Not a single back has put his hand up for the lions so far and that's because back play in the modern game requires more intricate moves that take time to bed in. Time is not something the lions have, had or will have
The Native

Post by The Native »

Would love the Lions to play Sexton at 10 or 12. He's been shite and would be an absolute liability.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Gatland will have a bosher at 12.
Farrell's claim to fame is that he can pass the ball.
The problem is that Gatland won't pick anybody outside worth passing to.
HurricaneWasp

Post by HurricaneWasp »

Sexton :lol:
Farrell is streets ahead. It isn't even close.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

HurricaneWasp wrote:Sexton :lol:
His cameo to lose the match against the Highlanders may not have endeared him to Gatland.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Flametop wrote:
His cameo to lose the match against the Highlanders may not have endeared him to Gatland.
Sexton's cameo in the blues and baa baas match probably won't have helped his cause. And also the fact that rapey eyes is a much better player.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

:thumbup:
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

ScarfaceClaw wrote:
Flametop wrote:
Sexton's cameo in the blues and baa baas match probably won't have helped his cause. And also the fact that rapey eyes is a much better player.
The only thing scared of Farrell is the posts.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Didn't Sexton also miss a relatively straightforward kick the other day? Without the excuse of it being literally the first thing he had to do coming off the bench?
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

JM2K6 wrote:Didn't Sexton also miss a relatively straightforward kick the other day? Without the excuse of it being literally the first thing he had to do coming off the bench?
On what planet is that an excuse
TheBouncer

Post by TheBouncer »

Anyway I am totally opposed to a Teo/JD centre pairing so would push Faz in. There are concerns over Sexton and that's fair, just my take.
HurricaneWasp

Post by HurricaneWasp »

The green tinted glasses of the Irish must have a very powerful prescription. I've seriously seen them advocate Payne and Sexton in the starting team :lol:
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

TheBouncer wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:Didn't Sexton also miss a relatively straightforward kick the other day? Without the excuse of it being literally the first thing he had to do coming off the bench?
The one where it's a weird situation to be in? Like coming off the bench to take a penalty in football - it probably takes a short while to get your head in the right place.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

JM2K6 wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:
The one where it's a weird situation to be in? Like coming off the bench to take a penalty in football - it probably takes a short while to get your head in the right place.
Jet laaaaaaaaaag!
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Hitting JJ in the face with a bullet pass on the last play of the game was inexcusable.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Flametop wrote:Hitting JJ in the face with a bullet pass on the last play of the game was inexcusable.
That was a bit school boy.
Jake

Post by Jake »

The only time the Lions backline looked cohesive and threatening was when Sexton and Farrell ended up together v Crusaders.

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

I think he'll go OF/RH/JD2 from what I've heard.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Sexton is behind Biggar for the bench tbh.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Jake wrote:The only time the Lions backline looked cohesive and threatening was when Sexton and Farrell ended up together v Crusaders.

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

Hopefully RH is Rob Henderson
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

JM2K6 wrote:
Jake wrote:The only time the Lions backline looked cohesive and threatening was when Sexton and Farrell ended up together v Crusaders.

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

I'd take Rob Horne over Henshaw, at the moment. He's probably English, right?
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

No idea what the stats say but t'eo has looked the best ball runner to
Me.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Colin Farrell would be a better pick.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

JM2K6 wrote:

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

Richard Hibbard?
Jake

Post by Jake »

JM2K6 wrote:

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

No, I just needed to give Hilly's chances a little nudge....he's quicker than that lot on one leg at 43.
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

Plan B is a creditable Warrenball strategm. But not necessarily a winning one.

I expect JS/OF/JD2 for the later tests. Huge Henshaw fan but he is being expected to produce a creative game he is capable of but has not really been asked to do for a number of years.

Te'o has not demonstrated the passing skills to warrant a nailed-down place, but I would be happy if he can bust the joint open next time.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Botha Boy wrote:

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

I expect JS/OF/JD2 for the later tests. Huge Henshaw fan but he is being expected to produce a creative game he is capable of but has not really been asked to do for a number of years.

Te'o has not demonstrated the passing skills to warrant a nailed-down place, but I would be happy if he can bust the joint open next time.
By "next time" you mean in South Africa?
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Flametop wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

But preferably at the weekend ... #just sayin' :thumbup:

By "next time" you mean in South Africa?
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

DragsterDriver wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:

I hope he goes JS/OF/Teo

Richard Hibbard?
Rob Howley.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

All three will be in the XXIII.
Last edited by Hellraiser on Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Hellraiser wrote:All three will be in the XVIII.
Rob Howley will be the first name on the team sheet.