OFFICIAL All Blacks vs B&I Lions FIRST TEST MATCH THREAD

All things Rugby
MaccTaff

Re: OFFICIAL All Blacks vs B&I Lions FIRST TEST MATCH THREAD

Post by MaccTaff »

ovalball wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:I'm just so disappointed in the pack.
Yep - didn't rise to the occasion and got well outplayed by the ABs.

Still wouldn't change personnel much. Possibly make more use of the bench and make changes a little earlier.

I don't think the Murray/Farrell combo works brilliantly - Webb looked much sharper and I still prefer sexton at 10.
I'm a huge fan of Webb, but a sub SH often looks very sharp against a tiring team.

I would give him more game time next week though certainly.
Tony Blair's Therapist

Post by Tony Blair's Therapist »

BlackMac wrote:I will get slaughtered for this, and Gatland would never even consider it. But Farrell and Sexton appear to have a total lack of confidence. If only we had drafted in a cocky and confident stand off who had just played the game of his life.
I wouldn't have a problem with it actually. Neither Farrell nor Sexton are showing form atm.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Sonny Blount wrote:
JB1981 wrote:Interesting decision for Hansen if Ben Smith is out. Dagg to fullback and shuffle the wings with Savea back in, give Jordie Barrett a go or is NMS match fit for test rugby.

NMS is nowhere near it. Not even for the Rugby Championship.
I forgot Naholo in the mix too.
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

Sonny Blount wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
Sonny Blount wrote:
Tony Blair's Therapist wrote:
ovalball wrote:Congrats Abs - outplayed us. Really bossed the breakdown.

Bit disappointed with our back row forwards - really didn't make much impact. And our pack struggled a bit.

JD2 had a fine game as did Williams. Webb looked sharp when he arrived.

Not all bad though - got caught napping a couple of times and got pinged too often, but some excellent breaks from the back 3.

Difficult to know if different selections would help - definitely need to do more at the breakdown.
It's a great shame Billy V wasn't fit.

Lions are much better off with Faletau. 20 something tackles for him tonight, topped the count.
Yeah, tackling. Passive. Billy V would be tying in defenders and off-loading.
pfft. tackling. who needs it.
Both tackle great. I had them pencilled in at 6 and 8 for 18 months. But that's no point in pining for players who aren't there, so whatever.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

WelshmanJim wrote:
bessantj wrote:I can't see how the Lions are going to win this series unless Gatland faces facts and realises he is going to have to do something radically different. Even if it means some Lions players picking up "injuries" so other players can be brought in. Howley can get stuffed. The Lions have to start finishing their chances and some of their half chances and work out a way to dominate up front. So yeah, be completely different in all facets of the game :? :lol:
Not to defend Howley but backplay wasn't really the issue for the Lions.

The pack were pretty much stuffed for about 50 minutes of that test.
I'm on about for the whole tour. The Lions back play as been rancid.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Couldn't see much detail from where I was at the ground, but Sam Cane was great and Read looked like he hadn't missed two months Rugby.
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

Wendigo7 wrote:
BlackMac wrote:I will get slaughtered for this, and Gatland would never even consider it. But Farrell and Sexton appear to have a total lack of confidence. If only we had drafted in a cocky and confident stand off who had just played the game of his life.
Do you mean George :D ?

Cips?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

HurricaneWasp wrote:I thought Daly played well. He was always dangerous, won lots of box kicks, and made some good decisions with the ball. I can't believe people are saying he was awful. What did he do wrong? No-one was catching Ioane at the end there.
I don't think we lost because of our back 3 - Our breakdown work was the big issue.
Silvio Berlusconi

Post by Silvio Berlusconi »

Congratulations NZ
:thumbup:
Clive Simms

Post by Clive Simms »

All Blacks are still nothing special. They are number 1 on Earth but you have to remember the Earth in relation to the universe is very small. You have to remember that
Silvio Berlusconi

Post by Silvio Berlusconi »

Clive Simms wrote:All Blacks are still nothing special. They are number 1 on Earth but you have to remember the Earth in relation to the universe is very small. You have to remember that
Where does your intellect stand in relative terms
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Teenage_hooker wrote:
terryfinch wrote:We don't need to change much. Itoje for AWJ. Lawes to the bench. Tipuric for Warburton on the bench. ....
I'd be happy with that
Yep
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Well done ABs....tight game, plenty of pressure.....again good skills at the important times the difference in the end. Well played Lions....good open game and your try from fullback over the length of the paddock was spectacular.....roll on Test No 2.......great game to watch.
Tschussie

Post by Tschussie »

Clive Simms wrote:All Blacks are still nothing special. They are number 1 on Earth but you have to remember the Earth in relation to the universe is very small. You have to remember that
:lol:
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

The Native wrote:Couldn't see much detail from where I was at the ground, but Sam Cane was great and Read looked like he hadn't missed two months Rugby.
Read, Retallick and Kaino turned the rush defense to mince meat by splitting them up the middle.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

ovalball wrote:
HurricaneWasp wrote:I thought Daly played well. He was always dangerous, won lots of box kicks, and made some good decisions with the ball. I can't believe people are saying he was awful. What did he do wrong? No-one was catching Ioane at the end there.
I don't think we lost because of our back 3 - Our breakdown work was the big issue.
I haven't seen the stats but it feels like NZ had loads of possession and territory compared to the Lions.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

JM2K6 wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Zico wrote:At the breakdown Peyper neutered the Lions in the first few minutes by applying one rule for NZ to compete at will while penalising the Lions in a fair contest. NZ didn't need the help but they got it.
Utter bullshit. You were dominated at the breakdown.
Indeed. Sam Cane destroyed them.
Genuinely no idea what the complaints are about the ref. Saw a few things he missed, but that's it. Big deal.
Bro do you even PR ?
Silver

Post by Silver »

JM2K6 wrote:
acehigh wrote:Lions' half-backs were completely outplayed. As predicted, Farrell was gash at 10. No pace or quick feet, just a plodding passer and good kicker. Couldn't do those things right either tonight. Don't know if the lack of spark outside him convinced Murray to rely on kick-and-hope tactics but that didn't work much either. Just gave the ball back to the ABs. In his cameo, Webb showed what pace and invention can do. He should start 2nd test. Sexton was meh when he came on but is more likely to create something than Farrell ever will.
The only thing Sexton created when he came on was confusion for the Lions and tries for the kiwis.
Its an issue for the Lions. Teams must have a quality first 5 and the Lions haven't really got one.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

OK, I haven`t seen the game yet, but, after reading this thread I`m totally confused. The Irish appear to think that the other nations let them down, The majority of the English seem to think that apart from Farrell, the English contingent went well, I`d prefer not to comment on some of the Welsh comments on here :blush: . It reminds me of reading supporters views on other websites after Welsh regional games, very parochial.So I suppose I will just have to watch it myself at some stage and make my own mind up. :?
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

It's true. You have to remember all the All Blacks did was score more points that the Lions, that's all. The Lions only need to change that one thing.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

MaccTaff wrote:
ovalball wrote:
TheBouncer wrote:I'm just so disappointed in the pack.
Yep - didn't rise to the occasion and got well outplayed by the ABs.

Still wouldn't change personnel much. Possibly make more use of the bench and make changes a little earlier.

I don't think the Murray/Farrell combo works brilliantly - Webb looked much sharper and I still prefer sexton at 10.
I'm a huge fan of Webb, but a sub SH often looks very sharp against a tiring team.

I would give him more game time next week though certainly.
I like Webb as a scrumhalf, but it was the control that Murray gave that helped keep the Lions in the game in the first half. Webb actually didn't do anything but pass until he made the two darts at the end, and if the ABs had a pillar he wouldn't have got over the line imo. Those who think Murray lacks breaking ability need to take a look at his try against the ABs in Chicago, scored when the game was a contest, and from much greater distance
Silver

Post by Silver »

GWO2 wrote:OK, I haven`t seen the game yet, but, after reading this thread I`m totally confused. The Irish appear to think that the other nations let them down, The majority of the English seem to think that apart from Farrell, the English contingent went well, I`d prefer not to comment on some of the Welsh comments on here :blush: . It reminds me of reading supporters views on other websites after Welsh regional games, very parochial.So I suppose I will just have to watch it myself at some stage and make my own mind up. :?
Kruis
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

GWO2 wrote:OK, I haven`t seen the game yet, but, after reading this thread I`m totally confused. The Irish appear to think that the other nations let them down, The majority of the English seem to think that apart from Farrell, the English contingent went well, I`d prefer not to comment on some of the Welsh comments on here :blush: . It reminds me of reading supporters views on other websites after Welsh regional games, very parochial.So I suppose I will just have to watch it myself at some stage and make my own mind up. :?
Everyone was shite. There you go, sorry about the spoiler.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Rugby2023 wrote:
ovalball wrote:
I haven't seen the stats but it feels like NZ had loads of possession and territory compared to the Lions.

60-40 ish

The top 5 carriers were all AB's from what I saw.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Wendigo7 wrote:
Do you mean George :D ?
The forwards need to give them a better platform - they never sucked in players and gave quick ball with the ABs on the back foot. There's only so much a FH can do when faced with a line of defenders on their starting blocks.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

bessantj wrote:
It's true. You have to remember all the All Blacks did was score more points that the Lions, that's all. The Lions only need to change that one thing.
We scored last
Moral victory
Nabberuk

Post by Nabberuk »

Rory Best :lol:

We'll lose every lineout
matta25

Post by matta25 »

Ferris calling for Rory Best to start next week :lol:
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

Hareaway wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
Beaver_Shark wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Zico wrote:At the breakdown Peyper neutered the Lions in the first few minutes by applying one rule for NZ to compete at will while penalising the Lions in a fair contest. NZ didn't need the help but they got it.
Utter bullshit. You were dominated at the breakdown.
Indeed. Sam Cane destroyed them.
Genuinely no idea what the complaints are about the ref. Saw a few things he missed, but that's it. Big deal.
Bro do you even PR ?
Hard luck JM. Hope you make a day of it at the pub at least.

It is really only Duff and a couple of the Irish. Nothing to worry about.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

terryfinch wrote:We don't need to change much. Itoje for AWJ. Lawes to the bench. Tipuric for Warburton on the bench. ....
I totally agree
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

Winnie wrote:
bessantj wrote:
We scored last
Moral victory
There is that. Going into the second test the All Blacks will already be on the back foot.
Croft

Post by Croft »

matta25 wrote:Ferris calling for Rory Best to start next week :lol:
Just incredible. The AB would score fifty.
BlueThunder

Post by BlueThunder »

Enzedder wrote:
I totally agree
Yep, AWJ and Warburton are non entities.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

bessantj wrote:
Winnie wrote:
bessantj wrote:
We scored last
Moral victory
There is that. Going into the second test the All Blacks will already be on the back foot.
I was pleased with that, the AB defense was shaky tonight and a larger margin would have papered over it a little. Hopefully they can improve that next week.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

The Native wrote:Couldn't see much detail from where I was at the ground, but Sam Cane was great and Read looked like he hadn't missed two months Rugby.
Read was quite superb, I Honesly thought he would struggle in his first game.
I should have more faith.

I thought the Lions pack might shade us, but for the most part we shaded them simply by continually hitting the ball with enough to get over the gain line.

Lineouts sucked, mostly from under throwing and over complication.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I enjoyed that. My impressions, which may well differ from other, are as follows.

- Both teams played some lovely rugby.

- The ABs looked in control for most of the match.

- First Lions try was a thing of beauty.

- AB's dominant in the scrums

- Not so in the line outs which was a surprise. Some was great Lions work, some was just silly mistakes such as the bug overthrow. Although that could have been due to pressure getting to them form the Lions work.

- Injuries suck.

- Next week's game should be awesome and could be anyones.

:thumbup:
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Goldie Wilson pointing out SBW's influence was limited until Te'o went off.
slick

Post by slick »

BlueThunder wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
I totally agree
Yep, AWJ and Warburton are non entities.
There isn't many options anyway really.

I thought Kruis had a total shocker and Furlong was poor, apart from that don't see what else we can do really.

It's like playing 15 hybrids of backs/forwards, they all do everything really well, it's 3-0 without any doubt at all.
Silver

Post by Silver »

Gatland has been shown up as a limited coach. If he wants to one day coach the ABs he can forget about it

One example. Why was Teo taken off. Farrell was playing like shit and Teo was playing well. yet they took Teo off. Why. wasn't anyone watching the game.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

terangi48 wrote:Well done ABs....tight game, plenty of pressure.....again good skills at the important times the difference in the end. Well played Lions....good open game and your try from fullback over the length of the paddock was spectacular.....roll on Test No 2.......great game to watch.
I agree with all that - too many errors by the Lions, and an often poor performance at the breakdown meant the possession and territory the ABs enjoyed was always going to hurt.

Well played ABs. Good Test until the Lions switched off at the pen calls.