Teo gone, Kruis gone, O Mahoney gone

All things Rugby
rfurlong

Re: Teo gone, Kruis gone, O Mahoney gone

Post by rfurlong »

I was amazed during the first test, watching ABs hitting rucks that didn't even need to be hit. There were multiple instances where they went in to clear out, seemingly for no other reason than to smash a red jersey. The ball was already coming back, the Lions jackal had invariably been blown out, but another AB would just smash the shit out of the red jersey, simply to say "fvck you" to the Lions.

That intensity and sheer bloody-mindedness, was simply for the purposes of intimidating the Lions ... and it succeeded perfectly.

If we are to have any chance on Saturday, we have to compete better at ruck time.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

rfurlong wrote:I was amazed during the first test, watching ABs hitting rucks that didn't even need to be hit. There were multiple instances where they went in to clear out, seemingly for no other reason than to smash a red jersey. The ball was already coming back, the Lions jackal had invariably been blown out, but another AB would just smash the shit out of the red jersey, simply to say "fvck you" to the Lions.

That intensity and sheer bloody-mindedness, was simply for the purposes of intimidating the Lions ... and it succeeded perfectly.

If we are to have any chance on Saturday, we have to compete better at ruck time.
Agreed :)
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Yup. Need something like the Aussies produced in the 2003 rwc SF. They just waded into the Kiwis and blew them out of the game.

To be dominated at the breakdown and still win is virtually impossible at this level.
Clive

Post by Clive »

Good team and a very good bench, but I think the front five just won't be good enough, but you never know.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Clive wrote:Good team and a very good bench, but I think the front five just won't be good enough, but you never know.

I think this is called an "each way bet".

But I could be wrong. :lol:
naki

Post by naki »

wamberal99 wrote:
Clive wrote:Good team and a very good bench, but I think the front five just won't be good enough, but you never know.

I think this is called an "each way bet".

But I could be wrong. :lol:
I'm sticking my neck out here but I think the Lions could win or they could lose or it could be a draw
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

jezzer wrote:Yup. Need something like the Aussies produced in the 2003 rwc SF. They just waded into the Kiwis and blew them out of the game.

To be dominated at the breakdown and still win is virtually impossible at this level.
I really wanted to see some innovation. Some new way of trying to beat New Zealand that you can possibly only manage with such a high quality touring squad.

Obviously we've seen nothing, but I was thinking partly of that Aussie team. They just refused to give the ball back.
shabadoo

Post by shabadoo »

Hong Kong wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:Now we've had a group tug, sloppy kisses and back-slapping can we get back to the atrocious selection by garland?
Yeah, sure. It's hard to argue that the selections of AWJ and Warburton aren't somewhat indicative of nepotism.

They are both fine players, but neither have been the best in their position on tour, thus far. It seems a contentious selection will always go to the player he has coached. Warburton has been injured, and out of form. AWJ has been inferior to Lawes, Hendo and Itoje (plus Kruis, for the most part, last game not-withstanding).

But then, they do bring a wealth of experience and leadership....
I have been a big fan of both players but they are are not up to this level. What did Warbs do when he came on to warrant selection? Sweet fark all. I'll accept that POM was not up to his best but what has Warbs done to justify his place? "He' wasn't as bad as POM?" Is that it???

As for AWJ, it's been shown elsewhere that his stats make him the 5th rated lock. He was knackered after the haka
I don't really buy into the narrative that PoM had a bad game. Made 13 tackles in 53 minutes...which would have had him up with Faletau if he was on for the full 80 - and Faletau is getting lauded for making those 20 tackles. PoM took what wa it - 5 lineouts and called a pretty much perfect lineout...as well as robbing one.

He was about as effective as any lion at ruck time - we got run over at ruck across the team...literally no one was effective here.

PoM was probably the pick of the lions forwards last week. I thought the back row went ok all in all tbh and would not have changed it at all.

That said - i'm happy enough with Gatlands selections. Dont think either Warburton or AWJ should be there...but they are both more than capable of pulling a performance out of their arses.

SexFaz will be a lot better at releasing the back 3 - which is where we caused damage last week.

If we can get parity in the forwards I think we have a chance...

it's the hope that kills ye.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Warburton and AWJ need to show up for Gatland.

Jonny needs to call the game, and be at his best.

No wide out fúck ups.

I still think that either England, or Ireland would stand a better chance of victory.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Maybe we should do an Italy and, on occasion, not let rucks get formed at all in defence. Mix that in with some where we form a ruck and absolutely pile into it.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Some talk that O'Mahoney was carrying an injury into the first test. Arm and ribs.
Look at the picture of him (link) all strapped up in the first test. POM probably played through the pain barrier and couldn't play to the level he wanted to in the contact area. Very viable.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/amp/rugby/lion ... est-128445
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Well that is very much the nub of it. There's been so much focus on the locks, that there's been very little discussion on the front row. They were equally culpable.

If truth be told, I reckon the entire pack are going to need the games of their lives. For all the talk of the fact we made chances but failed to convert them...that was always going to be the case.

For us to win, we'd need to be so good that we can afford to let a couple of good opportnities slip.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
Well that is very much the nub of it. There's been so much focus on the locks, that there's been very little discussion on the front row. They were equally culpable.

If truth be told, I reckon the entire pack are going to need the games of their lives. For all the talk of the fact we made chances but failed to convert them...that was always going to be the case.

For us to win, we'd need to be so good that we can afford to let a couple of good opportnities slip.
And, I think we need them to miss some. And we need some luck with a charge down or interception try.

You'd hope that our pack will have had a rocket up their backs after last week. They looked a little hesitant.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

theo wrote:
Gospel wrote:What the Lions need are players that can put in dominant tackles and blitz the breakdown to slow down the speed of New Zealand ball. I am pleased that Itoje is starting as he is one player that can really deliver on this front.
The other probably being Tipuric..... :roll:
I love JT, but he's anything but a dominant tackler. He's smart, he gets the occasional rip/choke in the tackle, he's statistically the best tackler on tour, but he's rarely physically dominant in the tackle. You either play him or SOB, and I think the latter offered more physicality in contact in the first test, despite an atrocious performance from the rest of the pack.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

YOYO wrote:Some talk that O'Mahoney was carrying an injury into the first test. Arm and ribs.
Look at the picture of him (link) all strapped up in the first test. POM probably played through the pain barrier and couldn't play to the level he wanted to in the contact area. Very viable.

Not sure anyone is buying that. All players carry injuries, you're either fit to start or you aren't. I think Gatland is just panicking and making a knee jerk decision.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

rfurlong wrote:I was amazed during the first test, watching ABs hitting rucks that didn't even need to be hit. There were multiple instances where they went in to clear out, seemingly for no other reason than to smash a red jersey. The ball was already coming back, the Lions jackal had invariably been blown out, but another AB would just smash the shit out of the red jersey, simply to say "fvck you" to the Lions.

Agree, the game was all about the breakdown and NZ owned it. A French ref will be interesting.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

shabadoo wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:Now we've had a group tug, sloppy kisses and back-slapping can we get back to the atrocious selection by garland?
Yeah, sure. It's hard to argue that the selections of AWJ and Warburton aren't somewhat indicative of nepotism.

They are both fine players, but neither have been the best in their position on tour, thus far. It seems a contentious selection will always go to the player he has coached. Warburton has been injured, and out of form. AWJ has been inferior to Lawes, Hendo and Itoje (plus Kruis, for the most part, last game not-withstanding).

I have been a big fan of both players but they are are not up to this level. What did Warbs do when he came on to warrant selection? Sweet fark all. I'll accept that POM was not up to his best but what has Warbs done to justify his place? "He' wasn't as bad as POM?" Is that it???

As for AWJ, it's been shown elsewhere that his stats make him the 5th rated lock. He was knackered after the haka
I don't really buy into the narrative that PoM had a bad game. Made 13 tackles in 53 minutes...which would have had him up with Faletau if he was on for the full 80 - and Faletau is getting lauded for making those 20 tackles. PoM took what wa it - 5 lineouts and called a pretty much perfect lineout...as well as robbing one.

He was about as effective as any lion at ruck time - we got run over at ruck across the team...literally no one was effective here.

PoM was probably the pick of the lions forwards last week. I thought the back row went ok all in all tbh and would not have changed it at all.

That said - i'm happy enough with Gatlands selections. Dont think either Warburton or AWJ should be there...but they are both more than capable of pulling a performance out of their arses.

SexFaz will be a lot better at releasing the back 3 - which is where we caused damage last week.

I love POM, but he definitely wasn't the "pick" of the pack last week. His tackle numbers are good, but he was subbed and we'll never know how he went. Moreover, in spite of being the 6, he didn't dominate the tackle stats, didn't generate turnover ball, and did absolutely nothing to slow down ruck ball. I feel like we need more than 5 lineout takes and 13 tackles from a flanker to beat NZ.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Duff Paddy wrote:
YOYO wrote:Some talk that O'Mahoney was carrying an injury into the first test. Arm and ribs.

Not sure anyone is buying that. All players carry injuries, you're either fit to start or you aren't. I think Gatland is just panicking and making a knee jerk decision.
Yeah, that sounds like classic Irish media fluff to me. Find me a player who isn't wearing some kind of strapping after playing 5-6 tour games. You don't pick a captain who is carrying a knock.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Da iawn diolch wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like classic Irish media fluff to me. Find me a player who isn't wearing some kind of strapping after playing 5-6 tour games. You don't pick a captain who is carrying a knock.
I'm not too sure. Gatland reportedly has lots of time for POM. POM probably felt he could play though injury discomfort (ignorant bastard he is), after all he was made Lions test captain with family and friends flying out to NZ. If POM erred with his decision to play, Gatland was probably peeved off due to him not being 100% during the loss. Gatland dropped POM without citing injury as the reason.. POM lived by the sword and ultimately Gatland let him die by the sword. Makes a lot of sense.

Look at the comparison in the photos of POM after the Maori game and starting off the first test. That's all you need to know.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

ovalball wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

And, I think we need them to miss some. And we need some luck with a charge down or interception try.

You'd hope that our pack will have had a rocket up their backs after last week. They looked a little hesitant.
That, I think, was due to how well the Kiwis had worked out our defence. I can well believe that the entire pack came out to give it the Barry Big Balls in defence. Gang tackles, big smashes, gainline won etc. We were hesitant because the Kiwis A. Kept on changing the angle of their big runners, and in some cases, would change angle just as they reached the gainline, and B. The relentless nature of that carrying.

Like a boxer known for their big punches but who can't lef their fists go, if the opponent constantly keeps you off balance, you can never set your feet to deliver the big hit.
armchair pundit

Post by armchair pundit »

anyone know what the weather forecast is ?
Saint

Post by Saint »

YOYO wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

I'm not too sure. Gatland reportedly has lots of time for POM. POM probably felt he could play though injury discomfort (ignorant bastard he is), after all he was made Lions test captain with family and friends flying out to NZ. If POM erred with his decision to play, Gatland was probably peeved off due to him not being 100% during the loss. Gatland dropped POM without citing injury as the reason.. POM lived by the sword and ultimately Gatland let him die by the sword. Makes a lot of sense.

Look at the comparison in the photos of POM after the Maori game and starting off the first test. That's all you need to know.
But the match stats show him as being as being at least on a par with the rest of the back 3, and realistically the entire pack. So that doesn't really stand up, other than Gats has decided to about turn the back row, just as he has the midfield.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
ovalball wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:

That, I think, was due to how well the Kiwis had worked out our defence. I can well believe that the entire pack came out to give it the Barry Big Balls in defence. Gang tackles, big smashes, gainline won etc. We were hesitant because the Kiwis A. Kept on changing the angle of their big runners, and in some cases, would change angle just as they reached the gainline, and B. The relentless nature of that carrying.

Like a boxer known for their big punches but who can't lef their fists go, if the opponent constantly keeps you off balance, you can never set your feet to deliver the big hit.
Indeed, they are the ABs after all - but the scrum wasn't very good, the maul never got going and we looked a bit passive at other times on our own ball. Hopefully, they will have learned a bit about how to deal with such intensity - and dish out some themselves.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Saint wrote:
YOYO wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

But the match stats show him as being as being at least on a par with the rest of the back 3, and realistically the entire pack. So that doesn't really stand up, other than Gats has decided to about turn the back row, just as he has the midfield.
I know. He wasn't bad at all. He just wasn't quite as active in the physical stakes as normal. One or two missed tackles that weren't typical of POM. That may have been due to a injury hindering him.
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

YOYO wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

Yeah, no. You're reading far too much into this, and perhaps clutching at straws. There's no way that such a big and professional coaching and conditioning team would allow an unfit captain to start the first test when there was viable competition for his spot.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

There's a huge difference between being unfit and not 100% though
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Hong Kong wrote:There's a huge difference between being unfit and not 100% though
Semantics. Whatever the required threshold, however you want to frame it, I just don't buy that a captain starts the first test at less than this. How stupid would POM be to consider captaining in such an important game if he's unable to give it his all?
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Da iawn diolch wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:There's a huge difference between being unfit and not 100% though
Semantics. Whatever the required threshold, however you want to frame it, I just don't buy that a captain starts the first test at less than this. How stupid would POM be to consider captaining in such an important game if he's unable to give it his all?
No it's not semantics. How many players have you seen without a bandage here and there yet still start? How many get a knock during the game but run it off or get bandaged up?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

rfurlong wrote:
It's a contrast of styles. Our guys hit rucks quickly to free the ball so it can be moved on fast. Your guys still think they're there to fill holes and protect the ball while your non ruck players, and unfortunately the opposition, get set to go again. Far too slow. Not a habit you guys can change quickly either.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

camroc1 wrote:Warburton and AWJ need to show up for Gatland.

No wide out fúck ups.

I still think that either England, or Ireland would stand a better chance of victory.
I agree, it's not easy to put together a team from scratch capable of beating a top team in just a few weeks.
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

Rugby2023 wrote:

No wide out fúck ups.

I agree, it's not easy to put together a team from scratch capable of beating a top team in just a few weeks.
England yes. Ireland not away from home. But scratch teams are very hard to put together.

Any time you are trying to build a new team makes it super difficult to form combinations.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Da iawn diolch wrote:
shabadoo wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
Hawk97 wrote:

I love POM, but he definitely wasn't the "pick" of the pack last week. His tackle numbers are good, but he was subbed and we'll never know how he went. Moreover, in spite of being the 6, he didn't dominate the tackle stats, didn't generate turnover ball, and did absolutely nothing to slow down ruck ball. I feel like we need more than 5 lineout takes and 13 tackles from a flanker to beat NZ.
Start with having two second rows who, like, do second row shit like.

Perhaps.

Backrow cannot play effectively as a unit if they play behind a front three.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Saint wrote:
YOYO wrote:
Da iawn diolch wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:

He made tackles but he failed to do the job he was selected for. He wasn't awful, he was just a non entity.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Denirostaxidriver wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

No wide out fúck ups.

England yes. Ireland not away from home. But scratch teams are very hard to put together.

Any time you are trying to build a new team makes it super difficult to form combinations.
Not sure of your logic there with regards to England and Ireland's chances. Bar the WC final, we've come to the closest to beating NZ in NZ since they were last beaten there in 09 and we're the only side to have beaten them in recent years.

I'd agree England have a better chance alright but they were hardly fantastic away from home in the 6N. Really should have lost both games.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

No wide out fúck ups.

England with Ireland's flankers and SH would get it done :smug:
Last edited by Hawk97 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

CM11 wrote:Not sure of your logic there with regards to England and Ireland's chances. Bar the WC final, we've come to the closest to beating NZ in NZ since they were last beaten there in 09
England lost by 1 point in NZ in 2014, which beats your loss by 3 points in 2013.
CM11 wrote:and we're the only side to have beaten them in recent years.
We've had one win each since 2009. Yours is more recent, ours more comprehensive.

A 4.75 point rankings gap suggests England are currently the better side.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Mahoney wrote:
CM11 wrote:Not sure of your logic there with regards to England and Ireland's chances. Bar the WC final, we've come to the closest to beating NZ in NZ since they were last beaten there in 09
England lost by 1 point in NZ in 2014, which beats your loss by 3 points in 2013.
We've had one win each since 2009. Yours is more recent, ours more comprehensive.

and that was in Auckland :shock:

So effin close!
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

I'm still annoyed at the way Owens reffed that game. He blew up for a knock on because a player dropped it, despite the ball landing about 8 fucking feet behind them
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Mahoney wrote:

All good points, but Norovirus probably pips 'Chicago vibe' as a solid leg up for victory. Still, the best chance for victory in NZ is England.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Hawk97 wrote:
Mahoney wrote:

and that was in Auckland :shock:

So effin close!
It was Forsyth Barr, and I was there. Never felt like a loss was pending. A lateish try followed up by a converted try conceded at the death when 8 points ahead...