Do we need this sort of plum in rugby?

All things Rugby
guy smiley

Re: Do we need this sort of plum in rugby?

Post by guy smiley »

Santa wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
4071 wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
pandion wrote:Before demonising him for his language where is the quote from? As a business man I'm sure his language would be different when talking officially instead of chatting to rugby media or fans.
I've worked, add in sure loads of boredies have, for some of the most rapacious international companies going and I've never heard a senior exec use that language to talk about the staff.
Isn't it one of the most popular business aphorism that "People are our greatest asset"?

Yeah it's common enough. Personally hate it as it effectively takes the person out of personnel. In a rugby context I'd rather see something along the lines of 'the team' or 'the club' being our greatest asset when it comes to individual owners, but each to their own.
It's we-dentity vs i-dentity.
:x :lol:

Something I spotted recently was 'tell your cluster'

:?

'cluster'... FML
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Santa wrote:The reason we go through the Lions every 4 years is that it's cool. This is what's missing with you NH types. No style. No spiritual guardianship.
What's this "we" business? You go through it every 12 years, there's no downside to it for you, and everyone else comes away feeling slightly sullied by the whole thing.
Santa

Post by Santa »

JM2K6 wrote:
Santa wrote:The reason we go through the Lions every 4 years is that it's cool. This is what's missing with you NH types. No style. No spiritual guardianship.
What's this "we" business? You go through it every 12 years, there's no downside to it for you, and everyone else comes away feeling slightly sullied by the whole thing.
I love all Lions tours. I love them.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Santa wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
SHers often do
A5D5E5

Post by A5D5E5 »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Santa wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
SHers often do
What's not to love if you are in the SH? We are footing the bill and weakening our own teams for their benefit.
MrJonno

Post by MrJonno »

Haven't read the thread but as with nearly all things, you need the bean counters to tell you some unpalatable truths and you need to know when to tell the bean counters to fk off (nicely but firmly)
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

MrJonno wrote:Haven't read the thread but as with nearly all things, you need the bean counters to tell you some unpalatable truths and you need to know when to tell the bean counters to fk off (nicely but firmly)
The Lions tours subsidise southern hemisphere rugby.
• NZR had matchday revenue of $9.2m in 2004, $33.9m in 2005 (a Lions tour) and $11.2m in 2006

• SA Rugby had a one-off share of the profits from the 2009 Lions tour, approximately NZ$9m at the exchange rate at the time

• ARU matchday revenue went from A$33.5m in 2012 to $69.2m in 2013 (a Lions tour) and $34.8m in 2014

• NZR reported a $12.7m share of the profits of the 2011 Rugby World Cup held in this country, although there was expenditure associated with this event in the previous year.

A Lions tour is a financial bonanza for the host country and this year's tour will be no exception. Lions test match tickets are between $149 and $449 each, while tickets for the South Africa/France June test series vary between R100 ($11) and R600 ($66). The top ticket price for Australia versus Scotland in Sydney in mid-June is A$132 ($143).

Chief executive Tew told the recent annual meeting: "In 2016, we recorded an underlying loss of $6m, which was $3m better than budgeted. The loss reflects a deliberate decision to use the income due from this year's DHL New Zealand Lions series and invest it early into delivering our 2020 strategy".
TrailApe

Post by TrailApe »

Haven't read the thread but as with nearly all things, you need the bean counters to tell you some unpalatable truths and you need to know when to tell the bean counters to fk off (nicely but firmly)
Yes and yes.

However it's no use decrying the commercial aspect of the game because if we don't look after that side of it then we won't have a game.

Whether its a private club or a union owned franchise/province/region you need the money coming through or you can't pay the players and all of the support staff required to keep pro rugby going.

It's easy to point the finger and shout 'spiv' but all nations are at it, some pushing in extra Internationals outside of the test window, some demanding appearance money and some twatting on about running their players into the ground for no return. There are no innocents.

If you don't like this aspect of it go back to the amateur clubs, mind you they'll expect you to pay your subs and flog a shitload of crappy raffle tickets every Christmas.
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

Seneca of the Night wrote:I'd love to print this thread out and give it to will Greenwood to pass around a few pubs in Wellington tomorrow afternoon.

It would be very funny hearing what Mr and Mrs backbone from Worcestershire think of you sad sacks.
I for one, can't wait for the hilarity to ensue. Will you be setting up a facebook group?
grubberkick

Post by grubberkick »

Chuckles1188 wrote:Given that the whole game would cease to exist at the top level if someone wasn't counting the pennies, yes, we do
It's back to the pro club rugby argument. Openly pro or money in boots? Somebody has to organise the financing at club level or it's the amateur game and top players playing League, again.. Better check with the top players to see what they prefer.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

It isn't just the clubs that suffer from a Lions tour. The Irish/Welsh and English international sides will be adversely affected. England can cope, to some degree, due to their depth. Even then, we're faced with playing the Autumn internationals with a weakened side as, I believe, Eddie has said he'll be resting the Lions players.

Something has to give, in Lions years, if it is to continue. And, the only way that can happen is if there is compensation for whoever has to do the giving.
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

French Grand Slam 2018, then?
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

I thought "resource" was the preferred term for people.

(Or "overhead" if the person in question is a manager.)
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

Mahoney wrote:I thought "resource" was the preferred term for people.

I think I'd rather be an asset.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:Given that the whole game would cease to exist at the top level if someone wasn't counting the pennies, yes, we do
Are they counting the pennies at Saracens?
What do Saracens have to do with this?
Yes, but just backwards -1, -2, -3 ......
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

ovalball wrote:

Asset just makes me think of the Bourne movies. Wouldn't mind being Clive Owen
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

JM2K6 wrote:
ovalball wrote:

Asset just makes me think of the Bourne movies. Wouldn't mind being Clive Owen
It's all about Desh.
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Chuckles1188 wrote:
TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:It's more than semantics because rugby stands apart as a sport - I've got no interest in being a consumer of a product produced by assets. I've got a great deal of interest in watching the current crop of players playing a game I used to play and still love.

Maybe I'm just showing my age...
Well, whether you're interested in it or not, that's what you are. I'm sure Tony is really sorry that you're bothered by that fact
Well no. Firstly I don't consume his product and likely never will. Secondly that's not and will never be my perspective on Wests, Lions, Hurricanes, or All Blacks.
Western Suburbs out of Wellington?
waguser

Post by waguser »

Now cracks a noble heart.—Good night, sweet prince,
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!—
Why does the drum come hither?
:((
henry

Post by henry »

This thread depresses the absolute fuck out of me.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

henry wrote:This thread depresses the absolute fuck out of me.
wait til you see what happens in the game this afternoon THEN you'll be depressed...
henry

Post by henry »

Hong Kong wrote:
wait til you see what happens in the game this afternoon THEN you'll be depressed...
I still believe but win, lose or draw, I'll be looking forward to SA in 2021. Or watching the club game eat itself.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

henry wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
I still believe but win, lose or draw, I'll be looking forward to SA in 2021. Or watching the club game eat itself.
You'll probably be a cheetahs fan by then so I'm sure the S.A.tour will have a frisson of excitement for you.
Santa

Post by Santa »

That game was a big fûck you to all the Lions naysayers. Fantastic stuff. That is the most interesting thing to happen in rugby since the the last world cup final. And that is what the Lions is about. The narrative arc of the tour. Brilliant.
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

Seneca of the Night wrote:I'd love to print this thread out and give it to will Greenwood to pass around a few pubs in Wellington tomorrow afternoon.

It would be very funny hearing what Mr and Mrs backbone from Worcestershire think of you sad sacks.
The problem is, The Doc chose a particularly inappropriate person / club to take a pop at. The first Exeter Chiefs game I attended, was against Peretempt Bees, who now languish lord knows where . Since then Chiefs have steadily improved as a club, to the point where they are AP Champions and provide a spectacle of attractive attacking rugby every week to a full crowd at Sandy park.
The man The Doc attempted to denigrate in his ill advised post, was the man largely responsible on the off field side for making that possible.
Judging by the muppets Sky point their cameras at in the stands, its actually Mr and Mrs pisshead from Worcestershire who are keenest on the Lions !
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

Considering the amount of money the tours make for the Lions brand and the countries they visit, I think he's absolutely right. It's also pathetic that there is no free to air highlights (other than s4c)
Jake

Post by Jake »

Rowe is a sugar daddy and isn't aware of life beyond Gordano services.

Totally self serving comment- he doesn't realise a buoyant Lions with the likes of Nowell in it means bigger gates at Exe.

Crass.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

I suspect he's well aware what grows interest in Exeter rugby, seeing what he's helped do with the club over the last decade.
henry

Post by henry »

JM2K6 wrote:
henry wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
You'll probably be a cheetahs fan by then so I'm sure the S.A.tour will have a frisson of excitement for you.
As long as you're boycotting it out of support for Quins.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

Margin_Walker wrote:Hell of an asset though tbf

JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

henry wrote:
JM2K6 wrote:
henry wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
As long as you're boycotting it out of support for Quins.
The former is more likely than the latter
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

jolindien wrote:

Nice :thumbup:

Not sure about the books though. Doesn't looked like a reader
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

jolindien wrote:

Blended into the wallpaper so well I didn't see him there for a minute.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Beat me to it.....thought it was another snow leopard thingie......