So tactics for Poite next week

All things Rugby
Flametop

So tactics for Poite next week

Post by Flametop »

Another week, another French ref.
However, it will be a completely different game with the "interpretation" being completely different from Garces.

Garces was very hot to ping ruck infringements but let a lot of scrums collapse with play continuing from the base.

Poite normally makes up his mind early in which team has the dominant scrum and award s lots of penalties accordingly.

Rucks are a free for all which creates a mess but attracts lots of numbers, creating space out wide.
Both sides should target the ball and misfile like hell into the rucks.
jezzer

Re: So tactics for Poite next week

Post by jezzer »

Poite is much maligned. Very good ref. Managed the Canes game very well. While the crowd weren't happy with some of his decisions, he was right almost the entire game. Always going to be misses and errors by refs, but Poite has the right balance of applying the laws and letting the game flow.

Usually.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

I predict he will be forever known as Romain Toite after next week.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

For Poite, hopes he forgets Murray is from Munster.
And just lash into the breakdown like Mako into a snack box.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I don't get all the ref angst. All the teams need to do is listen to what the ref is telling them and react accordingly. It's not rocket science.
Joost

Post by Joost »

I'm going to be watching the game while on a stag do and plan to do a shot every time he shouts 'Dis-Ci-Pliiiiiinnnne'

Just as well start on the bottle when Sinck comes on :uhoh:
naki

Post by naki »

Both teams could decide to not smash their shoulders into dudes faces for a start
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Of all the refs in the world Poite allows the most amount of contest for possession.
Virtually anything goes at ruck time. You have to put numbers in to retain possession.
It creates space outside but probably slower ball.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

First of all you must address him as Romain.
whezmabeer

Post by whezmabeer »

Flametop wrote:Another week, another French ref.
However, it will be a completely different game with the "interpretation" being completely different from Garces.

Garces was very hot to ping ruck infringements but let a lot of scrums collapse with play continuing from the base.

Poite normally makes up his mind early in which team has the dominant scrum and award s lots of penalties accordingly.

Rucks are a free for all which creates a mess but attracts lots of numbers, creating space out wide.
If the Lions cant adapt to a new ref, they may as well go home now. They should be looking at their own game and how they will overcome the AB's, not worry about the ref. :roll:
Toro

Post by Toro »

My god, you lot and the refs 😂😂😂
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Fat Old Git wrote:I don't get all the ref angst. All the teams need to do is listen to what the ref is telling them and react accordingly. It's not rocket science.
Poite's English is so bad, that's going to be a massive problem
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

naki wrote:Both teams could decide to not smash their shoulders into dudes faces for a start
Ah, dancing :thumbup:
puntopunto

Post by puntopunto »

Flametop wrote:Another week, another French ref.

Hes a good ref. The little south african fucker with the creepy grin not so much.
utrechtnl

Post by utrechtnl »

Found the 1014 series on the refs interesting during the lions

https://youtu.be/pDMlVRPg-PU

https://youtu.be/gNrrs-7L6eI

Good perspective on why some items are left go & others not.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

Mr. Very Popular wrote:For Poite, hopes he forgets Murray is from Munster.
And just lash into the breakdown like Mako into a snack box.
Poite is the scrum expert, so the front row better mind their Ps & Qs, & he's also the ref who really, really hates yappy players in his ear; so I hope the NZ'ers start flappiara :D
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

Don't make rucks.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Rules for Romain are simple:

Win the early scrums as cleanly as possible. After 5 or so scrum wins, you can be as dirty as fudge

Don't lie on the wrong side of the ruck - you will be penalised - but otherwise, pile the numbers in.

Seemples
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

CrazyIslander wrote:First of all you must address him as Romain.
Romain Garces?
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Sandstorm wrote:
Fat Old Git wrote:I don't get all the ref angst. All the teams need to do is listen to what the ref is telling them and react accordingly. It's not rocket science.
Poite's English is so bad, that's going to be a massive problem
YAAAAAAAAAAAAZZIIIITT !!!!!!!
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Warburton has done the square root of feck all this tour, but I think Poite on Saturday is made for him.

I expect our anonymous captain to have a field day at ruck time and win MOTM.

There must have been at least half a dozen occasions in the second test where garces screamed "leave it 6" :lol: ...... with poite at the helm I genuinely reckon Sam is going to fill his boots

If it was any other ref on Saturday I'd be looking for him to be dropped in favour of Pom stander or tips.... but I think the current backrow is just perfect for a poite match.

Looking back on Saturdays game and the two pennos itoje gave away were every bit as stupid as makos ones ..... I don't subscribe to the view that he's nailed on

We could see lawes and itoje start however, which makes you wonder if AWJ gets into the 23 ahead of hendo. If the ruck is a free for all then there's no better player to spring from the bench to start counter rucking like a crazed buffalo
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Unfortunately can't see Gatland dropping AWJ.

Agree about Warburton though. If he gets away with slowing AB ball/winning holding penalties it could be the winning of the match. Also depends on what Poite and the TMO think of the scud missiles(diving onto the player off their feet)that will be aimed at him all night.
Tschussie

Post by Tschussie »

rfurlong wrote:counter rucking like a crazed buffalo
:lol: :nod: :lol:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

rfurlong wrote:Warburton has done the square root of feck all this tour, but I think Poite on Saturday is made for him.

Warburton was excellent on Saturday. :? Big lift from POM (apart from lineouts) in the first test.
grouch

Post by grouch »

camroc1 wrote:Unfortunately can't see Gatland dropping AWJ.

Agree about Warburton though. If he gets away with slowing AB ball/winning holding penalties it could be the winning of the match. Also depends on what Poite and the TMO think of the scud missiles(diving onto the player off their feet)that will be aimed at him all night.
:lol:
If you had any knowledge of the Laws of the game and even a passing familiarity with AB ruck technique prior to this tour where the former have been completely ignored by the all the referees , except the much maligned Angus Gardner , then you would know that "scud missile " at ruck /breakdown has been standard Lion's fare and those players [ the scud missile targets] are obliged to make every effort to maintain their footing and not go to ground with the express purpose of slowing down the recycle or playing the ball.

If the discipline/penalty count is to be addressed then positive play at the breakdown is required .

Ooh , and the offside line is the last mans feet , not 0.5 , 1 , 2 or 3 metres in front of .
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

mr bungle wrote:
rfurlong wrote:Warburton has done the square root of feck all this tour, but I think Poite on Saturday is made for him.

Warburton was excellent on Saturday. :? Big lift from POM (apart from lineouts) in the first test.
Nah, that's not the narrative. Get with the programme. AWJ and Warburton are/were/will always be shit...totally irrespective of what actually happens.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

grouch wrote:

If you had any knowledge of the Laws of the game and even a passing familiarity with AB ruck technique prior to this tour where the former have been completely ignored by the all the referees , except the much maligned Angus Gardner , then you would know that "scud missile " at ruck /breakdown has been standard Lion's fare and those players [ the scud missile targets] are obliged to make every effort to maintain their footing and not go to ground with the express purpose of slowing down the recycle or playing the ball.

If the discipline/penalty count is to be addressed then positive play at the breakdown is required .

Ooh , and the offside line is the last mans feet , not 0.5 , 1 , 2 or 3 metres in front of .
You guys are both cut from the same loony ref whinging cloth. Hemispheres apart, but arguing your angle by virtue of place of birth. So beautiful to witness.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Nah, that's not the narrative. Get with the programme. AWJ and Warburton are/were/will always be shit...totally irrespective of what actually happens.
AWJ is average, but the unusual majority man advantage made the difference.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

mr bungle wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

He was smashing All Blacks from minute 1. That was his main job, and he did it extremely well. Especially during that first 40 minutes, the All Blacks got no traction up front as the held at the gainline.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Saint wrote:Rules for Romain are simple:

Win the early scrums as cleanly as possible. After 5 or so scrum wins, you can be as dirty as fudge

Don't lie on the wrong side of the ruck - you will be penalised - but otherwise, pile the numbers in.

Seemples

So the Lie Ons are screwed then - if you are correct.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

mr bungle wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:
mr bungle wrote:

Ah, don't ya just love the Oirish and their impartiality.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Seriously the Lions are fvcked with Poite the same way the ABs were fvcked with Garces.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

CrazyIslander wrote:Seriously the Lions are fvcked with Poite the same way the ABs were fvcked with Garces.

How so? He was good for us in 2013
grouch

Post by grouch »

mr bungle wrote:
grouch wrote:

You guys are both cut from the same loony ref whinging cloth. Hemispheres apart, but arguing your angle by virtue of place of birth. So beautiful to witness.
:D Glad I could bring some positive outcome to one so opinionated but so lacking in perception.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Maybe, just maybe Poite will go out and ref the clear and obvious, manage the manageable, take into account any material effect and apply the law with all these in mind....maybe
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Hong Kong wrote:Maybe, just maybe Poite will go out and ref the clear and obvious, manage the manageable, take into account any material effect and apply the law with all these in mind....maybe
That is the match f**ked then
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Hong Kong wrote:Maybe, just maybe Poite will go out and ref the clear and obvious, manage the manageable, take into account any material effect and apply the law with all these in mind....maybe

A fair and balanced post. Please ensure this does not happen again on here
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Kiwias wrote:
That is the match f**ked then
But, but......
Frodder wrote:

A fair and balanced post. Please ensure this does not happen again on here
:(
Wolfe Tone

Post by Wolfe Tone »

Act the maggot at every ruck. He doesn't ref them properly and it will end up in a free for all.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Hang on there just a dang minute youngster. ...

Oh yeah, that would be good eh. I like the clear and obvious but I also add material. Aaaand so did you. :blush:
Last edited by Enzedder on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.