Romain Poite

All things Rugby
merlin the happy pig

Re: Romain Poite

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Enzedder wrote:i still feel that for someone who's previous decision was pedantically correct, he certainly changed his style very very quickly when the boot was on the other foot. (Nigel would not have given that cheating bloody scrummy the time of day, let alone a penalty)

Just saying.
Exactly a player trying his best to get out of the way is penalised despite the halfback having to deliberately pass the ball into his feet for him to have any material effect on the game.

No hesitation or angst about giving that, despite having plenty of leeway to do so.

The imalance in the officiating in the last 10 minutes stiffed the better team.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

As everyone knows this thread is not complete until I have weighed in (Fvck you and your fat jokes Mr Mike!).

As the resident expert on all things reffing, and as a 100% bona-fide declared neutral, I have to say that that last call was a 100% penalty every single day of the week.

It would have also been the absolute worst way to end the series.

I believe refs are instructed to rule on outcome and not intent, so the fact that he changed his mind so many times (like naki in a KFC store) means he had time to reflect on the outcome and realised there wasn't a hell of a lot in it, and will probably be kicking himself for not allowing advantage.

Has there been any mention on this thread of Read's actions from the kick off?
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Flametop wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:
Toro wrote:
That should be end of thread really. Bunhead and a few others would do well to have a read and understand the basic offside law.
Classic PR find an opinion piece that validates your viewpoint and declare it definitive proof. For example http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/ ... ing-lions/
I would argue that Williams had already taken the space in the air and that Read could not win possession from where he was, even with an outstretched arm.
Oh really, Jonathan? Seems a pretty fine margin.

The lifter (who is already in situ) has a right to be there. Read is fouling both of them. Dangerous play
My first thought was that it ought to have been a penalty to the Lions. To get to the ball, Read had to go through a Lions player (and essentially did, which caused the knock-on).
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Poite had one job to do last night as a ref. A referee is the person of authority in the game who is responsible for presiding over the game from a neutral point of view and making on-the-fly decisions thatenforce the rules of the sport not interpret the rules for himself.

Poite has now opened a can of worms. He allowed the Lions to effectively negotiate the penalty reversal with Warburton effectively saying " sorry ref my player didn't mean to catch that ball in an offside position".

If that decision was in American sport like that NFL the governing body would be making a statement within 24 hours along the lines of " that decision by the ref was wrong, it shouldn't have happened and we are taking steps to rectify" In essence they would send a notification to all the refs advising how that situation should have been handled. The ref concerned would then be ineligible from the play offs.

Poite should be sanctioned by the IRB and removed from any Rugby Championship officiating in 2017

By that definition Sonny Bill didn't mean to shoulder slam a Lions player and poor old Charlie didn't mean to tackle the Kangroo in a Lions jersey that jumped into his arms at ten end of the second test.

Lions certainly had the luck of the Irish in the series ... but that's sport. Neither team really good enough to capitalise when it mattered. Given the rub of the green the Lions missed a golden opportunity to snare a very rare feat.

People are saying this the 3rd test was epic. It wasn't. It was a poor test with heaps of dropped ball and error laden. I found the series lacked the intensity and skill set of the Rugby Championship and I'm looking forward to much better tests coming up.
Old Man by the Sea

Post by Old Man by the Sea »

vh5150 wrote:Poite had one job to do last night as a ref. A referee is the person of authority in the game who is responsible for presiding over the game from a neutral point of view and making on-the-fly decisions thatenforce the rules of the sport not interpret the rules for himself.

Poite has now opened a can of worms. He allowed the Lions to effectively negotiate the penalty reversal with Warburton effectively saying " sorry ref my player didn't mean to catch that ball in an offside position".

If that decision was in American sport like that NFL the governing body would be making a statement within 24 hours along the lines of " that decision by the ref was wrong, it shouldn't have happened and we are taking steps to rectify" In essence they would send a notification to all the refs advising how that situation should have been handled. The ref concerned would then be ineligible from the play offs.

Poite should be sanctioned by the IRB and removed from any Rugby Championship officiating in 2017

By that definition Sonny Bill didn't mean to shoulder slam a Lions player and poor old Charlie didn't mean to tackle the Kangroo in a Lions jersey that jumped into his arms at ten end of the second test.

Lions certainly had the luck of the Irish in the series ... but that's sport. Neither team really good enough to capitalise when it mattered. Given the rub of the green the Lions missed a golden opportunity to snare a very rare feat.

People are saying this the 3rd test was epic. It wasn't. It was a poor test with heaps of dropped ball and error laden. I found the series lacked the intensity and skill set of the Rugby Championship and I'm looking forward to much better tests coming up.
Great Post !!!! Huge plus one !!
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

vh5150 wrote:Poite had one job to do last night as a ref. A referee is the person of authority in the game who is responsible for presiding over the game from a neutral point of view and making on-the-fly decisions thatenforce the rules of the sport not interpret the rules for himself.

So much fail.

1 - they are laws and not rules.
2 - as they are laws they are subject to interpretation (there are a thousand infringements occurring at each ruck, but the ref has to work out if they have a material impact or not - and if not then ignore the infringement and allow play to continue).
3 - almost all decisions they make are on the fly. They rarely get a chance for a TMO review. And TMO reviews really only occur at the highest level, so that is a rarity in and of itself.

Did he get this one wrong? I say yes. Was it the right decision in the end? I say yes.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Clogs wrote:

So much fail.

1 - they are laws and not rules.
2 - as they are laws they are subject to interpretation (there are a thousand infringements occurring at each ruck, but the ref has to work out if they have a material impact or not - and if not then ignore the infringement and allow play to continue).
3 - almost all decisions they make are on the fly. They rarely get a chance for a TMO review. And TMO reviews really only occur at the highest level, so that is a rarity in and of itself.

Did he get this one wrong? I say yes. Was it the right decision in the end? I say yes.
Well the difference between laws and rules is consequence with laws carrying the heavier weight. Therefore Poite really farked up.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Hey Clogsy - going well?

Given that Poite was very pedantic in reffing a penalty for a deliberate throw by the scrummie into out our prop (who was also in an accidental offside position having extricated himself from a ruck) do you think he should have remained consistent when reffing the very next decision?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

At the end of the day Poite changed his mind and also went against the TMO recommendation. He made Rugby the winner.
Good on you Romain :thumbup:
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Enzedder wrote:Hey Clogsy - going well?

Given that Poite was very pedantic in reffing a penalty for a deliberate throw by the scrummie into out our prop (who was also in an accidental offside position having extricated himself from a ruck) do you think he should have remained consistent when reffing the very next decision?

A Keewee in an "accidental" off-side position? Ho, ho, ho. Never happens, old chap.
Sundy

Post by Sundy »

Haha love it, if he had got out of there properly it wouldn't have been a penalty. Lying on the wrong side of the ruck is liable to be penalised all day and the player knows that.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Sundy wrote:

Haha love it, if he had got out of there properly it wouldn't have been a penalty. Lying on the wrong side of the ruck is liable to be penalised all day and the player knows that.
I thought the same initially and was shouting roll away (and worse). The replay showed he was pinned around the shoulders and head, so not that simple. Webb milked it.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

mr bungle wrote:
Sundy wrote:

I thought the same initially and was shouting roll away (and worse). The replay showed he was pinned around the shoulders and head, so not that simple. Webb milked it.

You see that all the time though... he was in the wrong place. Got pinged. Fair enough.
indomite

Post by indomite »

guy smiley wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Sundy wrote:

You see that all the time though... he was in the wrong place. Got pinged. Fair enough.
You're a ref at heart. x(
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

indomite wrote:
guy smiley wrote: You see that all the time though... he was in the wrong place. Got pinged. Fair enough.
You're a ref at heart. x(
Not at all :lol: :lol: I get very vocal during games and then realise I've usually got it wrong. I'm f**king awful watching live.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

guy smiley wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Sundy wrote:

So fair enough a minute later when their fellow was caught in an unfortunate position?. Fair's fair and all that?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Enzedder wrote:
guy smiley wrote: You see that all the time though... he was in the wrong place. Got pinged. Fair enough.

So fair enough a minute later when their fellow was caught in an unfortunate position?. Fair's fair and all that?
What's that got to do with the incident being discussed?
DOB

Post by DOB »

It wasn't a knock on, therefore no offside.

Williams dropped the ball backwards, but the contact with Read pushed him towards his goal line faster than the ball. All the "ball momentum" forward-pass-allowing, motion-of-the-hands cnuts are conveniently ignoring basic physics. Again.

The daft Welsh hooker should've held onto the ball, because if Poite hadn't blown his whistle (which he shouldn't have for anything except maybe Read's contact with the man in the air) then ABs collected the loose ball and were charging toward the line.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

All good ol mate, and i hope you are being looked after. One more fuckin op needed for you and i will start the petition to put you out of your misery. Death by 1000 thai hookers!

You know i am scathing on refs at times. The tackle/ruck area being a particular pet hate. Penalties could be awarded at every single one. Players not staying on their feet, wrong entry, playing the ball on the ground etc. Even if you are the attacking team you get little reward (have lost count of the number of times the sharks/boks are trying to close out a game in the dying seconds and get pinged for sealing off or some shit when it has happened all game long). It is a debacle and will continue to be so. Sorry i cant help more.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Polite bottles it. We have TMOs and that should cut the need for instantaneous whistle blowing. Pouts should have put out his arm for advantage all blacks and let the game go on. Then refer to the TMO at the next stoppage. Wayne Barnes is a great exponent of this style of reffing. Always talking to his TMO during live play ... a style endorsed by IRB
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

I think the most disappointing thing to come out of this incident, is we will watch games week in and week out where we see exactly the same thing, and it'll be a penalty every single time.
IMO that particular scenario shouldn't be a penalty anyway, but it is. I'll watch a game next week where this happens and it'll be a penalty.
Old Man by the Sea

Post by Old Man by the Sea »

It's a shame that the referee is getting the more attention then any of the players. Poite was the MOTM but not in a positive way.
This is his legacy.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Old Man by the Sea wrote:It's a shame that the referee is getting the more attention then any of the players. Poite was the MOTM but not in a positive way.
This is his legacy.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a crock of shit.
749a

Post by 749a »

DOB wrote:It wasn't a knock on, therefore no offside.

Williams dropped the ball backwards, but the contact with Read pushed him towards his goal line faster than the ball. All the "ball momentum" forward-pass-allowing, motion-of-the-hands cnuts are conveniently ignoring basic physics. Again.

The daft Welsh hooker should've held onto the ball, because if Poite hadn't blown his whistle (which he shouldn't have for anything except maybe Read's contact with the man in the air) then ABs collected the loose ball and were charging toward the line.
Agree it wasn't a knock-on. Doesn't matter though, Red 16 was offside
In general play a player is offside if the player is in front of a team-mate who is carrying the ball, or in front of a team-mate who last played the ball.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Tehui wrote:
Toro wrote:I thought he was good and the All Blacks only have themselves to blame.
This.
To win you need to score more points than the opposition and get your kicks over.
miladiou

Post by miladiou »

Oh the joy of seeing NZ outrage.

You lot didn't seem to mind when Joubert bottled it in the 2011 RWC final? I distinctly remember Joubert ignoring Kaino playing the ball with his hands in a ruck in a very kickable position.

Anyway Poite got it wrong its obvious but I think it was the right outcome nonetheless. Refs are human and will make errors. Imagine the pressure of that moment. Like it or not our laws are open to interpretation and a ref has to make a decion. Its not like Poite can be accused of bias. He was fair to both teams throughout (unlike Joubert). Rather be reffed by a fair ref who makes the odd mistake than one who consistently ping one side.

Whats more concerning is why Southern Hemisphere refs and TMOs seem highly motivated to assist other SH teams. The TMO in the second test was outrageous. And Peyper was a disgrace. Whats the story there?

A draw was what this series deserved and seeing both team line up for the photo warmed the cockles. What a great advert for rugby. I'll bet the guys had a brilliant night out together.

And the anger at Webb for throwing the ball into an offside player is a bit rich given that Aaron Smuth did it a few times on the last end of year tour and got pens each time.
Last edited by miladiou on Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

miladiou wrote:Oh the joy of seeing NZ outrage.

You lot didn't seem to mind when Joubert bottled it in the 2011 RWC final? I distinctly remember Joubert ignoring Kaino playing the ball with his hands in a ruck in a very kickable position.

Anyway Poite got it wrong its obvious but I think it was the right outcome nonetheless. Refs are human and will make errors. Imagine the pressure of that moment. Like it or not our laws are open to interpretation and a ref has to make a decion. Its not like Poite can be accused of bias. He was fair to both teams throughout (unlike Joubert). Rather be reffed by a fair tef who makes the odd mistake.

Whats more concerning is why Southern Hemisphere refs and TMOs seem highly motivated to assist other SH teams. The TMO in the second test was outrageous. And Peyper was a disgrace. Whats the story there?

A draw was what this series deserved and seeing both team line up for the photo warmed the cockles. What a great advert for rugby. I'll bet the guys had a brilliant night out together.

And the anger at Webb throughing the ball into an offside player is a bit rich given that Aaron Smuth did it a few times on the last end of year tour and got pens each time.
Obviously forgotten the eye gouge and headbutt on McCaw I see :lol:
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

guy smiley wrote:
Old Man by the Sea wrote:It's a shame that the referee is getting the more attention then any of the players. Poite was the MOTM but not in a positive way.
This is his legacy.

What a crock of shit.
I think you are going out of your way to be holier than thou. It's a crock of shit mate - show some f**king passion. Poite stuffed it. Let is out son.

Those Lie Ons twats led one game for 3 minutes in all the freaking series and get a draw on the back of two monumental French Fuck Ups. (insert one of those Copy write thingies here)

Show some passion - you're a Kiwi bloke working in a mine FFS, show some spirit
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Enzedder wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
This is his legacy.

What a crock of shit.
I think you are going out of your way to be holier than thou. It's a crock of shit mate - show some f**king passion. Poite stuffed it. Let is out son.

Those Lie Ons twats led one game for 3 minutes in all the freaking series and get a draw on the back of two monumental French Fuck Ups. (insert one of those Copy write thingies here)

I think Poite had a jolly reasonable game...
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Sards wrote:To win you need to score more points than the opposition and get your kicks over.
Really? Never knew that, thanks. :thumbup:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Enzedder wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
This is his legacy.

What a crock of shit.

What a crock of shit.
Sards

Post by Sards »

SecretAgentMan wrote:
Sards wrote:To win you need to score more points than the opposition and get your kicks over.
Really? Never knew that, thanks. :thumbup:
:lol:

It's a bitter pill at times.

Sort out your kicks at poles
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

guy smiley wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
This is his legacy.

What a crock of shit.

What a crock of shit.
Grow some balls man. Your tits are getting int he way of your manlioness. (sic) :P
miladiou

Post by miladiou »

merlin the happy pig wrote:
No the eye gouge was horrendous and Gougerie should have been cited and banned for a long time. That had nothong to do with Joubert who didnt see it.

Dont recall a headbut but i do remember McCaw kneeing Parra (our only half decent kicker) in the face thereby ending his match. Or are you suggesting Parra headbutted McCaw's knee?

Anyway I dont think NZ should have any complaints. You've benefited from plenty of iffy decisions over the years.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Hong Kong wrote:
Enzedder wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
This is his legacy.

What a crock of shit.

I think Poite had a jolly reasonable game...
Of course you did being a Lions fan (although what the hell the Scots have to do with the Lions is anyone's guess.) :lol:
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

miladiou wrote:
merlin the happy pig wrote:
No the eye gouge was horrendous and Gougerie should have been cited and banned for a long time. That had nothong to do with Joubert who didnt see it.

Dont recall a headbut but i do remember McCaw kneeing Parra (our only half decent kicker) in the face thereby ending his match. Or are you suggesting Parra headbutted McCaw's knee?

Anyway I dont think NZ should have any complaints. You've benefited from plenty of iffy decisions over the years.

Thereby implying that this was indeed a giant French Fuck Up (™)
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Those Lie Ons twats led one game for 3 minutes in all the freaking series and get a draw
This is truly bizarre. The score at full time is all that matters. As for calling them twats :?
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Firstly the leap into Charlie F and then the deliberate throwing of the ball into a player on the ground to score a penalty. You're right mate, they not twats, they're unsporting plums. And then they get the Frenchies to come on board. Despicable sports
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Crazy Ed wrote:Read was only ever going to try and slap ball back where as Williams was lifted to take a 2 handed catch..
What's the relevance of this? He's allowed to slap the ball back and almost did so. It's a legitimate, realistic attempt at playing the ball which by IRB guidelines is not a penalty.
It would only have been realistic if Sanjay wasn't there - which is why we think it was a lions penalty in the first place
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

I thought Poite did a reasonable job letting the game flow, but that is all I can say about his reffing. :roll: Missed so much and I reckon the Lions got stiffed more by his mistakes or misses than the AB's. It was unbecoming of a ref. x(

Still I reckon a draw was a fair outcome as the AB's bottled it big time, as did the Lions at times. :yawn: