Your Top 5 per position

All things Rugby
Dork Lard

Your Top 5 per position

Post by Dork Lard »

So 'world class' varies in exact meaning from sport to sport and from individual to individual, I personally consider it to mean that particular player would make the Top 5 in the world at his position.

Let's make a " "world class" " Top 5 for each position.

Here'r mine to get some convo started (no particular order):

LHP
Mako V
Baille
Mcgrath
Beast (yes, still)
Noguera

Hooker
Creevy
Bismarck
Coles
Guirado
Best

THP
Slimani
O.Franks
Furlong
Herrera
Kepu

Lock
Retallick
Whitelock
Itoje
Vahaamahina
Kruis

6's
Stander
Kaino
Gourdon
Robshaw
Matera

7's
Hooper
Sam Cane
Pocock
SOB
Kolisi

No.8's
Billy V
Picamoles
Read
Faletau
Isa

Scrummies
Aaron Smith
Conor Murray
Webb
Laidlaw
Parra

Flyhalves
Beauden Barrett
Jonny Sexton
Camille Lopez
Nico Sanchez
Dan Biggar

Inside Centers
Owen Farrell
SBW
De la Fuente
...Scott Williams ?
Lamerat

Outside Centers
J.Joseph
Fofana
Jon Davies
Lienert-Brown
Kuridrani

Wingers
J.Tuisova
Cordero
N.Nadolo
Watson
Daly

Fullback
Bin Smuth
Folau
Liam Williams
Hogg
Tuculet

Agree with some, disagree with some ? Keep your adult mode on and disagree with civility.
Clive Simms

Re: Your Top 5 per position

Post by Clive Simms »

Are you sure on Greig Laidlaw? Just wanted to check
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Clive Simms wrote:Are you sure on Greig Laidlaw? Just wanted to check
hah ah come on, same criticism as Morgan Parra, a "slow poke", but he's been a very good captain for Scotland during their best years in the modern era. He's not the quickest, but he manages well, is an excellent goal kicker, a good tempo controller for his pack. Scotland have done really well over the last few years, and the little captain probably has a little to do with it.
Who would you have in his stead ?
henry

Post by henry »

Youngs?
Care?
Davies?
The other Scottish lad?
A block of lard?

Same goes for Parra.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Vahaamahina :lol: :lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Kolisi is a blindside.

Laidlaw is meh.

There's tons better than Cane - Tips, Warbs, Smith, Gill, Alcock, McMahon, Cloete.
jezzer

Post by jezzer »

Dork Lard wrote:
Clive Simms wrote:Are you sure on Greig Laidlaw? Just wanted to check
hah ah come on, same criticism as Morgan Parra, a "slow poke", but he's been a very good captain for Scotland during their best years in the modern era. He's not the quickest, but he manages well, is an excellent goal kicker, a good tempo controller for his pack. Scotland have done really well over the last few years, and the little captain probably has a little to do with it.
Who would you have in his stead ?
SH I would have Smith, TJP, Murray, Parra, Serin
akann

Post by akann »

Moody should be included at LHP considering he destroyed the Lions scrum on a few occasions.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

too many french generally, for a team that's been so shit for so long
i can understand the individual talent argument, but if you're not helping your team win at the highest level, why would picamoles, lopez etc be there ?
Conspicuous

Post by Conspicuous »

Laidlaw you say ? :roll:
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Zakar wrote:Kolisi is a blindside.

Laidlaw is meh.

There's tons better than Cane - Tips, Warbs, Smith, Gill, Alcock, McMahon, Cloete.
really, he's more of an openside isn't he. The Saffer 6-7 jersey mix up thing.
Cane is really good at the bdown and often overlooked. Definitely in the Top 5.
akann wrote:Moody should be included at LHP considering he destroyed the Lions scrum on a few occasions.
I'd say that was testament to how mediocre the Lions scrum was. He hasn't destroyed any top scrummaging TH, and he seems to commit lots of penalties, often bad ones, and I really don't think he brings a whole lot in the loose, and certainly lots less than a Baille, Mako, Mcgrath etc.
Akkerman wrote:too many french generally, for a team that's been so shit for so long
i can understand the individual talent argument, but if you're not helping your team win at the highest level, why would picamoles, lopez etc be there ?
I get you but are you actually suggesting Picamoles not even in the Top 5 ? Not realistic. Surely in the Top 5. His stats speak for him, he wasn't far from being the best player at the last 6N.

And Lopez is very good in every aspect. Best goal kicker over Sexton Halfpenny Farrell at the last 6N, defensive work rate of a flanker, very good ball in hand or with his foot, got nominated for Euro player of the year and 80min away from winning the award altogether.

EDIT: And btw, by your logic a team that's doing well should necessarily by default have loads of representatives. But for e.g. England around 2013 won most of their games but had maybe just Tuilagi who would've appeared in a Top 5 list. Average players, good team.
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Obvious bias but locks for me would have Leone Nakaraw. Flyhalf Ben Volavola.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

I don't know about lock. Nakarawa, Etzbeth, Lavannini. Kruis didn't have a great tour.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Coleman over Kruis.
Oceanbreeze

Post by Oceanbreeze »

I think Saulo Fiji/Toulon tight head prop is top 5. Only have to see how Fiji have improved in Scrums especially WC 2015 to see what a difference he's made.

Nakarawa should have mention at the very least too, obviously I'm biased.

As for wings. Gosh Fiji has produced so many over the years and they've all been alright. So won't complain if other wingers gets a vote .
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Zakar wrote:Coleman over Kruis.
Why ? Give me an argument for your case. Kruis represents England and Saracens' current elite quality, he's good in the lineouts, breakdown, good work rate, good Rugby player in general. I do actually think he's a bit overrated, but he'd just about make the top 5, and I'm curious as to why a Coleman would make it over him. I would have Vahaamahina personally over him, whom I think is incredibly underrated because ppl are quick at overlooking the French player today because of how horribly shit the team is playing as a whole. Top lock, rare talent for a 200cm+ player.
flaggETERNAL wrote:Obvious bias but locks for me would have Leone Nakaraw. Flyhalf Ben Volavola.
Perhaps Nakarawa, but despite the incredible offload game he's not tremendous in the tackling like some of those defensive machines Launchbury and co., and seems to be more talent than substance in lots of games, doesn't have the overall impact of some of those other locks. Maybe he deserves a spot...
Oceanbreeze wrote:I think Saulo Fiji/Toulon tight head prop is top 5. Only have to see how Fiji have improved in Scrums especially WC 2015 to see what a difference he's made.
nope. Sorry, no way. Has been largely a major flop at Toulon. A fijian prop who can actually hold his own in the scrum was such a surprise at the WC he's been largely over-evaluated, and overrated by Toulon for instance who haven't benefited at all from him. No way he takes a spot over Slimani, Franks, Furlong, Herrera, and Kepu has at least held up about as well in the tight and certainly offered more in the loose over the past years.
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

I admire your attempt, Dork. Lists like these are usually met with scorn with these boring twats :nod:

LHP
Mako V
Mcgrath
Moody
Baille
Crockett

Hooker
Coles
Creevy
Marx
Guirado
Strauss

THP
Slimani
O.Franks
Furlong
Kepu
Nel

Lock
Retallick
Whitelock
Itoje
Launchbury
Kruis

6's
Kaino
Gourdon
JLDP
Warburton
Barclay

7's
Hooper
Pocock
SOB
Cane
Kriel

No.8's
Billy V
Picamoles
Read
Faletau
Parisse

Aaron Smith
TJ Flaps
Conor Murray
Webb
Serin

Flyhalves
Beauden Barrett
Jonny Sexton
Bernard Foley
Nico Sanchez
Dan Biggar

Centers
JD2
Kerevi
ALB
JJ
Campagnaro

Wingers
fudge knows.
French ones and Kiwi ones

Fullback
Smith
Folau
DMac
Hogg
Tuculet

I'm clueless when it comes to Argies.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I am in my hoop making a list that long
Hawk97

Post by Hawk97 »

EverReady wrote:I am in my hoop making a list that long
Copy and paste is a wonderful tool...
Carfer

Post by Carfer »

Dork Lard wrote:So 'world class' varies in exact meaning from sport to sport and from individual to individual, I personally consider it to mean that particular player would make the Top 5 in the world at his position.

Let's make a " "world class" " Top 5 for each position.

Here'r mine to get some convo started (no particular order):

LHP
Mako V
Baille
Mcgrath
Beast (yes, still)
Noguera → Noguera? Our Noguera? definitely not

Hooker
Creevy → Do not think for a moment to name him captain, unpleasant disciplinary situations could happen in your team
Bismarck
Coles
Guirado
Best

THP
Slimani
O.Franks
Furlong
Herrera → Only if you prefer to play with 14 men for long periods of time
Kepu

Lock
Retallick
Whitelock
Itoje
Vahaamahina
Kruis

6's
Stander
Kaino
Gourdon
Robshaw
Matera → I like the crazy man

7's
Hooper
Sam Cane
Pocock
SOB
Kolisi

No.8's
Billy V
Picamoles
Read
Faletau
Isa → I would wait to see how he plays in Toulon

Scrummies
Aaron Smith
Conor Murray
Webb
Laidlaw
Parra

Flyhalves
Beauden Barrett
Jonny Sexton
Camille Lopez
Nico Sanchez → No way !!!
Dan Biggar

Inside Centers
Owen Farrell
SBW
De la Fuente → Not so good as to be among the top 5
...Scott Williams ?
Lamerat

Outside Centers
J.Joseph
Fofana
Jon Davies
Lienert-Brown
Kuridrani

Wingers
J.Tuisova
Cordero → He looked better in the recent games in the defensive role. Far from being among the top 5, certainly
N.Nadolo
Watson
Daly

Fullback
Bin Smuth
Folau
Liam Williams
Hogg
Tuculet → Lately, has shown some aversion to tackling. If he does not re-think that aspect of his game, one day he will find Boffelli in that position

Agree with some, disagree with some ? Keep your adult mode on and disagree with civility.
Dude, go get your passport. If you read something like "REPÚBLICA ARGENTINA" please burn it! For these lands you would be considered a "provocateur" :D
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Kruis has been injured, then was sub par vs the ABs. Coleman is huge, has winger pace and is hard as a coffin nail. He wins games. He doesn't miss tackles. He smashes rucks.

Kruis is good when he's in form. He's not in form.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Hawk97 wrote:I admire your attempt, Dork. Lists like these are usually met with scorn with these boring twats :nod:

LHP
Mako V
Mcgrath
Moody
Baille
Crockett

Hooker
Coles
Creevy
Marx
Guirado
Strauss

THP
Slimani
O.Franks
Furlong
Kepu
Nel

Lock
Retallick
Whitelock
Itoje
Launchbury
Kruis

6's
Kaino
Gourdon
JLDP
Warburton
Barclay

7's
Hooper
Pocock
SOB
Cane
Kriel

No.8's
Billy V
Picamoles
Read
Faletau
Parisse

Aaron Smith
TJ Flaps
Conor Murray
Webb
Serin

Flyhalves
Beauden Barrett
Jonny Sexton
Bernard Foley
Nico Sanchez
Dan Biggar

Centers
JD2
Kerevi
ALB
JJ
Campagnaro

Wingers
Nadolo
Watson
Daly

Fullback
Smith
Folau
DMac
Hogg
Tuculet

I'm clueless when it comes to Argies.
I am not far off this list. Would have Liam Williams somewhere in the 15s (DMac or Tuculet out), Ezbeth for Kruis and Tipuric in the 7s instead of Kriel.

Looking at the 5 #8s you listed. Fcuk me that is stacked with talent isn't it. Possibly the strongest set of 5.

Added a few wingers.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Zakar wrote:Kruis has been injured, then was sub par vs the ABs. Coleman is huge, has winger pace and is hard as a coffin nail. He wins games. He doesn't miss tackles. He smashes rucks.

Kruis is good when he's in form. He's not in form.
Okay accepted. Not one of my most convinced choices anyways.
Hawk97 wrote:I admire your attempt, Dork. Lists like these are usually met with scorn with these boring twats :nod:
:P eh I like a good frank open-ended discussion, not concerned with ad hominems in these cases.

Carfer
- Noguera Paz has put in some strong scrummaging performances. The most obvious one being getting Cole out to the sinbin in Twickers. He's mobile and tackles well, can offer a bit of carrying. Give me a LHP who's outright better right now.

- Herrera can definitely be dominant in the scrum, has some of the best handling/passing/offloading I've seen on a THP, and is quite a bit of meat to handle being over 193cm and ~120kilo, can carry well. Again, give me a clearly better option.

- Sanchez ? He's a very good tackler, good enough at goal kicking, has amazing stepping and is a very good playmaker, pretty good tactical kicking. What's not to have him there ?

- Cordero has the craziest stepping in the world and sees plays unfold well/isn't a greedy winger, likes to pass the ball, and is very quick defensively. He's a consistent threat to any defense. Also has a pretty good in-game foot.

- Tuculet: one of the best pure counterattacking fullbacks in world Rugby, big enough to resist contact, huge punt on the clearing kicks... is his defense that bad, really ? Lots of FB's have a tendency to be crap in that sector. Tuculet is in my 5. Unless you've got a good argument to kick him out of there for someone else ?
akann

Post by akann »

How did Bruno not make that list?
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Dork Lard wrote:
akann wrote:Moody should be included at LHP considering he destroyed the Lions scrum on a few occasions.
I'd say that was testament to how mediocre the Lions scrum was. He hasn't destroyed any top scrummaging TH, and he seems to commit lots of penalties, often bad ones, and I really don't think he brings a whole lot in the loose, and certainly lots less than a Baille, Mako, Mcgrath etc.
Sounds like you're describing The Myth Mk II. Moody also destined for greatness, then. Excellent. :thumbup:
akann

Post by akann »

Dork Lard wrote: I'd say that was testament to how mediocre the Lions scrum was. He hasn't destroyed any top scrummaging TH, and he seems to commit lots of penalties, often bad ones, and I really don't think he brings a whole lot in the loose, and certainly lots less than a Baille, Mako, Mcgrath etc.
The Lions scrum was terrible and yet you have included both the Lions props in your list. The primary role of a prop is to be a strong scrummager, so I don't understand why you would included weak scrummagers who are good in the loose. Vunipola would not come anywhere near a world xv for this reason.
Last edited by akann on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Amazed to see anyone picking Foley. I'd have the first choice flyhalf from each of this year's NZ Super Rugby squads ahead of him.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Dork Lard wrote:
Zakar wrote:Kolisi is a blindside.

Laidlaw is meh.

really, he's more of an openside isn't he. The Saffer 6-7 jersey mix up thing.
Cane is really good at the bdown and often overlooked. Definitely in the Top 5.
Moody is a match for all of those players in the loose.

NZ picks props who can tackle and clear rucks. That is the primary work done 'in the loose' (ie outside of set pieces). Ball running is incidental for a prop.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

akann wrote:
Dork Lard wrote: I'd say that was testament to how mediocre the Lions scrum was. He hasn't destroyed any top scrummaging TH, and he seems to commit lots of penalties, often bad ones, and I really don't think he brings a whole lot in the loose, and certainly lots less than a Baille, Mako, Mcgrath etc.
The Lions scrum was terrible and yet you have included both the Lions props in your list. The primary role of a prop is to be a strong scrummager, so I don't understand why you would included weak scrummagers who are good in the loose. Vunipola would not come anywhere near a world xv for this reason.
Give me Mako over Moody every day of the week. Mako has held his own against top scrummaging sides up north, and Furlong for e.g. had the NZ scrum under pressure for Ireland. Mako is the sort of ball carrier/passer who can produce a try situation on his own. He's a bother at the breakdown, and has tremendous work rate, especially for a guy his size and his strength.
Sonny Blount wrote:
Moody is a match for all of those players in the loose.

NZ picks props who can tackle and clear rucks. That is the primary work done 'in the loose' (ie outside of set pieces). Ball running is incidental for a prop.
Moody is a match in the loose for Mako on a broken leg. Yeah. Maybe.
akann

Post by akann »

Didn't think much of Mako's scrummaging abilities. He might do ok up north, but was exposed badly against Franks, and Furlong definitely lost the battle against Moody. In the Crusaders match, Moody demolished Furlong on a few occasions and Furlong was only saved by an incompetent ref.

Would select Moody over Mako every day and Etzebeth over Kruis and Launchbury.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

akann wrote:Didn't think much of Mako's scrummaging abilities. He might do ok up north, but was exposed badly against Franks, and Furlong definitely lost the battle against Moody. In the Crusaders match, Moody demolished Furlong on a few occasions and Furlong was only saved by an incompetent ref.

:lol: yesssssss that legendary SH/Oceanian scrummaging DOMINANCE !!!!!!!
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

As an aside (can['t be arsed to set up a new thread), htis is what the Westerna Wail reckons ar ethe best 30 players in the world at the moment:

30. STUART HOGG (SCOTLAND)
29. ALUN WYN JONES (WALES)
28. ISRAEL DAGG (NEW ZEALAND)
27. WESLEY FOFANA (FRANCE)
26. AGUSTIN CREEVY (ARGENTINA)
25. LOUIS PICAMOLES (FRANCE)
24. KURTLEY BEALE (AUSTRALIA)
23. MICHAEL HOOPER (AUSTRALIA)
22. TAULUPE FALETAU (WALES)
21. SAM WHITELOCK (NZ)
20. SAM CANE (NZ)
19. BERNARD FOLEY (AUSTRALIA)
18. FACUNDO ISA (ARGENTINA)
17. EBEN ETZEBETH (SOUTH AFRICA)
16. LEONE NAKARAWA (FIJI)
15. SERGIO PARISSE (ITALY)
14. AARON SMITH (NZ)
13. TADHG FURLONG (IRELAND)
12. SONNY BILL WILLIAMS (NZ)
11. BILLY VUNIPOLA (ENGLAND)
10. CONOR MURRAY (IRELAND)
9. ISRAEL FOLAU (AUSTRALIA)
8. JONATHAN DAVIES (WALES)
7. OWEN FARRELL (ENGLAND)
6. DANE COLES (NZ)
5. BRODIE RETALLICK (NZ)
4. BEN SMITH (NZ)
3. MARO ITOJE (ENGLAND)
2. KIERAN READ (NZ)
1. BEAUDEN BARRETT (NZ)

Some decent shouts, and as always, some odd ones as well. I reckon if Cane is in there, Warburton deserves to be somewhere in there as well...and then there's the obvious omission of SOB.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Jeff the Bear wrote:As an aside (can['t be arsed to set up a new thread), htis is what the Westerna Wail reckons ar ethe best 30 players in the world at the moment:

21. SAM WHITELOCK (NZ)
20. SAM CANE (NZ)
14. AARON SMITH (NZ)
6. DANE COLES (NZ)
5. BRODIE RETALLICK (NZ)
4. BEN SMITH (NZ)
3. MARO ITOJE (ENGLAND)
2. KIERAN READ (NZ)
1. BEAUDEN BARRETT (NZ)

Some decent shouts, and as always, some odd ones as well. I reckon if Cane is in there, Warburton deserves to be somewhere in there as well...and then there's the obvious omission of SOB.
:lol: Cane.

Not in the top 20 players in NZ.
Dork Lard

Post by Dork Lard »

Jeff the Bear wrote:As an aside (can['t be arsed to set up a new thread), htis is what the Westerna Wail reckons ar ethe best 30 players in the world at the moment:

21. SAM WHITELOCK (NZ)
20. SAM CANE (NZ)
14. AARON SMITH (NZ)
6. DANE COLES (NZ)
5. BRODIE RETALLICK (NZ)
4. BEN SMITH (NZ)
3. MARO ITOJE (ENGLAND)
2. KIERAN READ (NZ)
1. BEAUDEN BARRETT (NZ)

love those. So Furlong is just about twice as good/the impact as Louis Picamoles or Agustin Creevy, for e.g. Sounds fair. :thumbup: legit af, def a top fan that can be trusted made this.
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Dork Lard wrote:
akann wrote:Didn't think much of Mako's scrummaging abilities. He might do ok up north, but was exposed badly against Franks, and Furlong definitely lost the battle against Moody. In the Crusaders match, Moody demolished Furlong on a few occasions and Furlong was only saved by an incompetent ref.

:?

Head in the sand much?
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

21. SAM WHITELOCK (NZ)
20. SAM CANE (NZ)
14. AARON SMITH (NZ)
6. DANE COLES (NZ)
5. BRODIE RETALLICK (NZ)
4. BEN SMITH (NZ)
3. MARO ITOJE (ENGLAND)
2. KIERAN READ (NZ)
1. BEAUDEN BARRETT (NZ)

Stupid list, stupid idea
WoodlandsRFC

Post by WoodlandsRFC »

Is 7 currently the weakest position globally? The only 7s of note really are Cane and SOB.
cubby boi

Post by cubby boi »

WoodlandsRFC wrote:Is 7 currently the weakest position globally? The only 7s of note really are Cane and SOB.
and James Davies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJkonKFSCT8

Tipuric is better than Cane, but Gatland just doesn't like him.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Dork Lard wrote:

You never saw this match?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxq0Vi9YTrA, the All Blacks haven't gone backwards since.

And the 2017 Lions had the weakest forward pack I've ever seen from a Lions team.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

alliswell wrote:

21. SAM WHITELOCK (NZ)
20. SAM CANE (NZ)
14. AARON SMITH (NZ)
6. DANE COLES (NZ)
5. BRODIE RETALLICK (NZ)
4. BEN SMITH (NZ)
3. MARO ITOJE (ENGLAND)
2. KIERAN READ (NZ)
1. BEAUDEN BARRETT (NZ)

Stupid list, stupid idea
It is a much better attempt than I would have expected.

Maro Itoje is way too high obviously.