DUNKIRK

All things Rugby
Clogs

Re: DUNKIRK

Post by Clogs »

guy smiley wrote:I've just come back from watching it.

There is no Imax cinema in Perth so I'm guessing it was that fact that rendered my enjoyment of the movie as a spectacle completely null and void. I was left with an inferior small screen experience which simply served to focus my attention on a myriad of small details which completely detracted from what had promised to be a superlative example of movie as experience escapism.

I am left with jarring memories, snapshots from the film really which will infuriate me until the day I die. The soundtrack only served to further inflame my emotions and a carefully constructed (and hand bound) set of historical notes pertaining to specifications of machines, particular landmarks, the brand of woollen blanket in popular supply at the time along with eye witness accounts of the grooming habits of frontline soldiers in the early stages of WWII were rendered absolutely unreadable and therefore useless, by my tears of impotent rage.

I've rarely been so insulted by a movie.

Bonjour.
The Ginger Jedi

Post by The Ginger Jedi »

Edinburgh01 wrote:Saw it earlier with my sons in IMAX. I can't imagine how the sensory experience comes over in other formats, but it seemed like the film would miss a lot without it.

To me there were a couple of jarring notes. As mentioned for example, the beaches were peculiarly empty. But they only form the backdrop to the storylines rather than being fundamental to the story so I find it easy to just register it and move on and focus on the story being told rather than the backdrop.

I did find myself counting the number of women and minorities.
Disturbing lack of Gingers.
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

I suspect it will be a lot like the filum Bridge on the river Kwai. Entertaining viewing, but completely lacking in any historical accuracy.
Razor

Post by Razor »

SilverGrin wrote:I suspect it will be a lot like the filum Bridge on the river Kwai. Entertaining viewing, but completely lacking in any historical accuracy.
Have you seen it?
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

This thread's gone quiet, so it seems like a safe time to bring up the main, searing inaccuracy that I didn't list earlier out of sheer embarrassment. The very first thing in the film, the very first, is a three-sentence .ppt type context-setting intro (for the Americans I suppose, the winner wasn't obvious yet so they weren't in at that point). The first three words are:

"The enemy are".

Eh, no. The enemy is; the enemies are.

I'll get me' coat now because even I realise that we're somewhere on the spectrum here, but anyway, had to say it, feel better, thanks, bye, have a good thread. :thumbup:
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

The voice of that was talking to Tom Hardy over the radio was bugging me. I was sure I knew it but could not place it. It turns out it was Michael Caine (sorry if RR).
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:This thread's gone quiet, so it seems like a safe time to bring up the main, searing inaccuracy that I didn't list earlier out of sheer embarrassment. The very first thing in the film, the very first, is a three-sentence .ppt type context-setting intro (for the Americans I suppose, the winner wasn't obvious yet so they weren't in at that point). The first three words are:

"The enemy are".

Eh, no. The enemy is; the enemies are.

I'll get me' coat now because even I realise that we're somewhere on the spectrum here, but anyway, had to say it, feel better, thanks, bye, have a good thread. :thumbup:
You are make thread more
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Edinburgh01 wrote:The voice of that was talking to Tom Hardy over the radio was bugging me. I was sure I knew it but could not place it. It turns out it was Michael Caine (sorry if RR).

There comes a time in every man's life when he finds himself listening to personal advice from Michael Caine.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Bits of this thread remind of that scene in the Simpsons when Comic Book Guy is haranguing Alec Baldwin.
"Alec, regarding that so-called silent propulsion system in The Hunt for Red October. I printed out a list of technical errors which I think you'd enjoy discussing."
To which Alec repiles 'magic' to every question.
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

guy smiley wrote:
Edinburgh01 wrote:The voice of that was talking to Tom Hardy over the radio was bugging me. I was sure I knew it but could not place it. It turns out it was Michael Caine (sorry if RR).

There comes a time in every man's life when he finds himself listening to personal advice from Michael Caine.
I just bloody read that in his bloody voice.

And bloody that.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

SilverGrin wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

I just bloody read that in his bloody voice.

And bloody that.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
VBall

Post by VBall »

I went with my son last night. I was so looking forward to it.

Thought it was good and would encourage others to see it. But I was not bowled-over by it.

Liked the flying scenes and inside the sunken boat on the beach. The sound effects were superb. As for the men on the beaches, it seemed too ordered. Perhaps it was. I also missed the sense of the sheer quantity of small boats and the fact that many of them did shuttle runs.

Not as horrific as Private Ryan and it is not meant to be. British cinema rather than American.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

VBall wrote:I went with my son last night. I was so looking forward to it.

Thought it was good and would encourage others to see it. But I was not bowled-over by it.

Liked the flying scenes and inside the sunken boat on the beach. The sound effects were superb. As for the men on the beaches, it seemed too ordered. Perhaps it was. I also missed the sense of the sheer quantity of small boats and the fact that many of them did shuttle runs.

Not as horrific as Private Ryan and it is not meant to be. British cinema rather than American.
I've not seen it yet but the small boats didn't save anywhere as near as the general opinion seems to think, only around 5% were evacuated by them. Perhaps it's a nod to that?
Plastic Sarrie

Post by Plastic Sarrie »

I thought it was incredible. Zimmer's score is :shock:

Did see it on iMax, mind
juddy

Post by juddy »

The troops apparently did queue up in an orderly fashion to be rescued. We British loved a good queue.
Red Chopper

Post by Red Chopper »

juddy wrote:

The troops apparently did queue up in an orderly fashion to be rescued. We British loved a good queue.
Yeh, they did queue, but not always in as orderly a fashion as is commonly supposed - some troops were assigned to guard against queue jumping and ensure that discipline was maintained and proper protocol was followed.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Totally enthralling stunning film. Gripping from the opening scene until the final credits.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

OptimisticJock wrote:

I've not seen it yet but the small boats didn't save anywhere as near as the general opinion seems to think, only around 5% were evacuated by them. Perhaps it's a nod to that?
Is that not just the figure for the troops physically brought back to the UK in one of the small boats. Many were used just to shuttle troops from the beach to waiting ships. Tens of thousands were taken off in this manner.
aitch@wasps

Post by aitch@wasps »

Saw it on Saturday. Was exhausted by it. Excellent cinematography. Only thing we noticed was a lack of stubble on Styles's chin and lack of disarrangement of attire when they were on the train going home. Oh, and one of the Spits was a MkV instead of a MkI.
Interesting that the enemy didn't have a face until the very end.
Very powerful stuff.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

BlackMac wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:

Is that not just the figure for the troops physically brought back to the UK in one of the small boats. Many were used just to shuttle troops from the beach to waiting ships. Tens of thousands were taken off in this manner.
Not sure. Makes sense though.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

aitch@wasps wrote:Saw it on Saturday. Was exhausted by it. Excellent cinematography. Only thing we noticed was a lack of stubble on Styles's chin and lack of disarrangement of attire when they were on the train going home. Oh, and one of the Spits was a MkV instead of a MkI.
Very powerful stuff.
Didn't notice the Hispano Buchons then?
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

aitch@wasps wrote:Saw it on Saturday. Was exhausted by it. Excellent cinematography. Only thing we noticed was a lack of stubble on Styles's chin and lack of disarrangement of attire when they were on the train going home. Oh, and one of the Spits was a MkV instead of a MkI.
Very powerful stuff.

That was the clincher for me. Ridiculous. They were on a E type Fordham carriage which as everyone knows was only produced in 1946. The rivet on the panels and stairs were the giveaway. They really should've done their research. Flat head screws were the order of the day on the B type carriage. So disappointed. Ruined the movie for me. :x
PUMITA

Post by PUMITA »

Dai another day wrote:You'd think the French would be eternally grateful for what we did. It appears not.
Of course they are. British cemeteries are incredibly well looked after. There was a documentary a few years ago about the raid on St.Nazaire. A local elderly French couple remembered the time and the British dead some of whom they tended to while dying. They were in tears.

The BBC Dunkirk series is well worth watching too. It has been re-released on DVD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunkirk-BBC-DV ... ds=DUNKIRK

Includes the notorious murder by the SS at Wormhoudt of survivors of the Warwickshires, Cheshires and some French soldiers.
Razor

Post by Razor »

STOP! STOP! STOP!

Lets' not over analyse it....It's just a simple movie about three different fictitious experiences during one of the most dramatic sagas in WW2...it's okay...Christopher wants us to feel apart of it...not a big educational doco...none of the war movie cliches...just be there...taste the blood...feel the sand in your toes..like the average Joe did.....pure genius...
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

PUMITA wrote:
Dai another day wrote:You'd think the French would be eternally grateful for what we did. It appears not.
Of course they are. British cemeteries are incredibly well looked after. There was a documentary a few years ago about the raid on St.Nazaire. A local elderly French couple remembered the time and the British dead some of whom they tended to while dying. They were in tears.

The BBC Dunkirk series is well worth watching too. It has been re-released on DVD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dunkirk-BBC-DV ... ds=DUNKIRK

Includes the notorious murder by the SS at Wormhoudt of survivors of the Warwickshires, Cheshires and some French soldiers.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Clogs wrote:
Very powerful stuff.

That was the clincher for me. Ridiculous. They were on a E type Fordham carriage which as everyone knows was only produced in 1946. The rivet on the panels and stairs were the giveaway. They really should've done their research. Flat head screws were the order of the day on the B type carriage. So disappointed. Ruined the movie for me. :x
The Phillips screw was actually invented 2000 bc, by Achmed Biro.
TheDocForgotHisLogon

lorcanoworms wrote:
Clogs wrote:
Very powerful stuff.

The Phillips screw was actually invented 2000 bc, by Achmed Biro.
:lol:
Razor

Post by Razor »

Seneca of the Night wrote:Good article this:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=11895657
Loved..."The Germans called him 'the Kiwi we couldn't kill'.

Bit like Richie :D
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Razor wrote:

Jesus wept:
In one instance, with both pilots playing a fiery game of chicken, he collided head-on with a German plane. He crash-landed in a corn field and smashed his way out of the cockpit before his Spitfire burst into flames.

A few weeks later he found himself pursued by five German fighters near the French coast. He managed to evade them until reaching England, where he attempted to bail out of his bullet-ridden plane, which had caught fire.

In his own account, Deere wrote: "I shot out a few feet but somehow became caught up. Although I twisted and turned I could not free myself. The nose of my aircraft had now dropped and was pointing at the ground which was rushing up at an alarming rate. Then suddenly I was blown along the side of the fuselage and was clear. A hurried snatch at the rip cord and, with a jolt, the parachute opened."

During his flying days, Deere crash-landed a total of nine times. It's why he named his autobiography Nine Lives. Once, after bailing from a damaged plane, Deere and his faulty parachute landed in the soft part of a sewerage farm.
So he baled out twice and crash landed nine times. 14 kills.
Razor

Post by Razor »

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:
Razor wrote:

Jesus wept:
In one instance, with both pilots playing a fiery game of chicken, he collided head-on with a German plane. He crash-landed in a corn field and smashed his way out of the cockpit before his Spitfire burst into flames.

A few weeks later he found himself pursued by five German fighters near the French coast. He managed to evade them until reaching England, where he attempted to bail out of his bullet-ridden plane, which had caught fire.

In his own account, Deere wrote: "I shot out a few feet but somehow became caught up. Although I twisted and turned I could not free myself. The nose of my aircraft had now dropped and was pointing at the ground which was rushing up at an alarming rate. Then suddenly I was blown along the side of the fuselage and was clear. A hurried snatch at the rip cord and, with a jolt, the parachute opened."

During his flying days, Deere crash-landed a total of nine times. It's why he named his autobiography Nine Lives. Once, after bailing from a damaged plane, Deere and his faulty parachute landed in the soft part of a sewerage farm.
So he baled out twice and crash landed nine times. 14 kills.
Sorry Doc that was rather limp. :blush:
Red Chopper

Post by Red Chopper »

Razor wrote:

Seeing as the Germans referred to everyone in a British uniform - whether English, Scottish, Welsh or Aussie - as an ''Englander'', I'd be very surprised if they were even aware of what a 'Kiwi' was.
No surprise that the first paper to publish a contrary view to the positive reviews the film's generally received is the good old 'Grauniad' - https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... ft-me-cold
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Saw an imax screening of it today. Thought it was an excellent film. Not perfect and a few bits didn't ring quite true, but I'm pleased that big budget films with non standard narratives like this can still get made these days.
Spoiler: show
Agree with a few that the scale of the evacuation wasn't really obvious as a result of wanting to avoid CGI. Was a bit bloodless at times with the 12 rating and think in parts like the beach bombing scene, the full horror of war could have been conveyed. A few other bits and pieces here and there (infinite ammo spitfire), but it really was a superbly immersive experience overall.
Salient

Post by Salient »

For what could possibly be the best big release movie of the year the box office figures are surprisingly low

$69.5 million U.S (USD)

$6 million Oz (AUD), figures first weekend only, would expect some strong support through the week days.

Must admit haven't got out to see it yet. :blush:
Stevus55

Post by Stevus55 »

Just saw it this evening and thought it was fantastic.

I thought the scene at the start where the British soldier is let through the barricades and glared at by the French said enough about the French role in the whole thing. Subtle but effective IMO.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Stevus55 wrote:Just saw it this evening and thought it was fantastic.

I thought the scene at the start where the British soldier is let through the barricades and glared at by the French said enough about the French role in the whole thing. Subtle but effective IMO.
Where they were defending as the Brits retreated?
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Went this morning.....great story and photography......caught the essence of what it was like through realistic snapshots of what evacuating soldiers went through....hats off to those who lost life, survived and responded to the call to pick up.
indomite

Post by indomite »

Red Chopper wrote:
Razor wrote:

Seeing as the Germans referred to everyone in a British uniform - whether English, Scottish, Welsh or Aussie - as an ''Englander'', I'd be very surprised if they were even aware of what a 'Kiwi' was.
No surprise that the first paper to publish a contrary view to the positive reviews the film's generally received is the good old 'Grauniad' - https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... ft-me-cold

That probably says more about your lack of awareness of other reviews and a desire to show your cred by having a dig at the Guardian. But then it's a remarkably commonly read outlet given the number of posters on here who profess to despise it.
alliswell

Post by alliswell »

Saw it last night. Today I woke up with a crick in my neck. It looked fantastic and was tense as all hell but I'm not sure it'll take repeated viewing. The score was at times a bit intrusive.
Hellraiser

Post by Hellraiser »

Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

guy smiley wrote:
Stevus55 wrote:Just saw it this evening and thought it was fantastic.

Where they were defending as the Brits retreated?
Brits and French retreated, yes.