Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:33 pm 

Just started work in data last year and it's all personalisation, personalisation, personalisation. What struck me most is the incredible amount of brain and computing power that is essentially going into marketing. I mean we have Cambridge astrophysicists and physical chemistry etc working on this shit. All good, interesting, very smart people. Sure we have some process optimisations going on which is a bit operational but most of it is marketing - I count segmentation and predictive purchasing as marketing because that is what it will be used for.

I can't help thinking that it's a huge ducking waste. It all smacks of the 20 years to 2008 where investment banks sucked the brains out of engineering and put it to work designing bullshit financial products that then crashed the system.

I wonder if GDPR will start to sort this out.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... arch-shows

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:39 pm 

Santa wrote:
Just started work in data last year and it's all personalisation, personalisation, personalisation. What struck me most is the incredible amount of brain and computing power that is essentially going into marketing. I mean we have Cambridge astrophysicists and physical chemistry etc working on this shit. All good, interesting, very smart people. Sure we have some process optimisations going on which is a bit operational but most of it is marketing - I count segmentation and predictive purchasing as marketing because that is what it will be used for.

I can't help thinking that it's a huge ducking waste. It all smacks of the 20 years to 2008 where investment banks sucked the brains out of engineering and put it to work designing bullshit financial products that then crashed the system.

I wonder if GDPR will start to sort this out.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... arch-shows

Wrong login trump