Chat Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 775 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Winner
Lions 47%  47%  [ 20 ]
Hurricanes 53%  53%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 43
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24022
Saturday, 29 July @ 14.30 (12:30 GMT)

Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg

Image

Capacity: 62,567

Weather:

Temp: 17 C
Rain: 0%
Wind 10 kmh W

Betting odds:
Lions (1/1) 2.0
Hurricanes (13/15) 1.87
Handicap: Hurricanes -1

Lions:
Image

Image

Log position: Africa2: 1 | SA Group: 1 | Overall: 1
Wins: 15 from 16

Beat the Sharks in the Quarter Final

Lions:15 Andries Coetzee, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Harold Vorster, 11 Courtnall Skosan, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Ross Cronje, 8 Ruan Ackermann, 7 Kwagga Smith, 6 Jaco Kriel (captain), 5 Franco Mostert, 4 Andries Ferreira, 3 Ruan Dreyer, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Jacques van Rooyen
Substitutes: 16 Akker vd Merwe, 17 Corne Fourie, 18 Johannes Jonker, 19 Lourens Erasmus, 20 Cyle Brink, 21 Faf de Klerk, 22 Rohan Janse van Rensburg, 23 Sylvian Mahuza

Hurricanes:

Image

Image

Log position: NZ: 2 | Australasia: 3 | Overall: 3
Wins: 13 from 16

Beat the Brumbies in the Quarter Final

Hurricanes – 15 Jordie Barrett, 14 Nehe Milner-Skudder, 13 Vince Aso, 12 Ngani Laumape, 11 Wes Goosen, 10 Beauden Barrett, 9 TJ Perenara (c), 8 Brad Shields, 7 Ardie Savea, 6 Vaea Fifita, 5 Sam Lousi, 4 Mark Abbott, 3 Jeff To'omaga-Allen, 2 Dane Coles, 1 Ben May.
Subs: 16 Ricky Riccitelli, 17 Chris Eves, 18 Loni Uhila, 19 Reed Prinsep, 20 Callum Gibbins, 21 Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, 22 Otere Black, 23 Julian Savea.

Officials:
Referee Jaco Peyper
AR1 Marius van der Westhuizen
AR2 Rasta Rasivhenge
TMO Marius Jonker

History:

Played: 10
Lions: 1
Hurricanes: 9

In Johannesburg:

Played: 5
Lions: 1
Hurricanes: 4

Last matches:
2016 Hurricanes 20-3 Wellington 19:35
2016 Hurricanes 50-17 Johannesburg
2015 Hurricanes 22-8 Johannesburg
2012 Hurricanes 30-28 Johannesburg
2011 Hurricanes 38-27 Wellington


Last edited by Jensrsa on Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24022
Warren Whiteley to be Water Boy in order to calm the Lions players and settle them down at every stoppage of play :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2019
Location: Wellingdingdington
Canes to have Dane Coles start I reckon. He was very good when he came on during Friday night. Solid lineout work and trademark running game.

Are the Lions a better team than last year? Are the Canes worse?

The game odds aren't out yet but the NZ TAB has both teams at the same odds to win the tournament.

It's a hard one to pick. The travel has to count against the Hurricanes and they would have been mentally prepared for a long haul.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:52 am
Posts: 554
oh wow. its a replay of last years final. but in South Africa. This is exciting. Hopefully the Hurricanes win.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2019
Location: Wellingdingdington
I see it's a 2:30 pm kick off local time.

Daytime running rugby in warm condition from two of the best attacking sides in the comp.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 20723
Location: A vacant lot next to a pile of rubble
When do the Canes arrive?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12753
Canes favorites for this game. Can't see any other conclusion after the Lions squeaked past the Sharks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2019
Location: Wellingdingdington
Fat Old Git wrote:
When do the Canes arrive?


I'd reckon they would fly out today. They probably went to Sydney yesterday to await the results from SA and will head out as soon as possible to get over the jet lag and acclimatise.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2019
Location: Wellingdingdington
NZ TAB has the Canes at $1.75 and the Lions at $1.85.

Don't know how they arrive at these numbers.....probably reading the entrails of a sacrificed TMO....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 8736
The Native wrote:
Canes favorites for this game. Can't see any other conclusion after the Lions squeaked past the Sharks.

Yep, Canes by 16.

Apparently they've conceded just 17 second half points in 6 knock-out games since 2015. :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:30 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30072
Location: Innie Kaap
Be interesting to see who the ref is


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1349
Location: Bondi Centrelink
Canes backline on a dry track will be something special!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16099
Sards wrote:
Be interesting to see who the ref is


If it's the same ref that covered your Sharks loss in the QF, the Hurricanes will be at a disadvantage.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:20 am
Posts: 1581
Location: From the Hutt bro.
kiwidutchie wrote:
NZ TAB has the Canes at $1.75 and the Lions at $1.85.

Don't know how they arrive at these numbers.....probably reading the entrails of a sacrificed TMO....

Hopefully Ayoub.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:20 pm
Posts: 2614
Tehui wrote:
Sards wrote:
Be interesting to see who the ref is


If it's the same ref that covered your Sharks loss in the QF, the Hurricanes will be at a disadvantage.


Referee: Marius van der Westhuizen (South Africa)
Assistant referees: Jaco van Heerden (South Africa), Egon Seconds (South Africa)
Television match official: Marius Jonker (South Africa)

????????????????


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1207
Link for those referee apointments?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3454
Canes to bring the pain to joberg.

Lions fans must be concerned after that crap performance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 am
Posts: 8047
Location: Sydney
rugga. wrote:
Link for those referee apointments?

He's just listed the refs from the Lions v Sharks 1/4 final as opposed to the upcoming semi.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5654
Location: Worst Mod ever, so sayeth the mob
Travel and altitude will be a bitch, but the better team will still win. Canes v Saders final, calling it now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 16099
blackblackblack wrote:
Travel and altitude will be a bitch, but the better team will still win. Canes v Saders final, calling it now.


The Canes haven't been playing that well though. And the Lions have been unbeaten this year against NZ opposition.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am
Posts: 18749
I think the Canes would edge it but it will be close.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:20 am
Posts: 1581
Location: From the Hutt bro.
They'll have to play a lot better than they did against the Brumbies to win it. Is Aso back for them? I'm guessing Proctor's gone for the season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24022
Lions (1/1) 2.0
Hurricanes (13/15) 1.87
Handicap: Hurricanes -1


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2195
Location: No home....chickenrunning
The only other bit that I enjoyed from the game other than the Lions lucky win was that after the final whistle, none of the Lions players that I could see hooped for joy as they knew how poor they had been...hopefully that means they can switch on for the Hurricanes but as the odds are showing they are the underdogs and rightly so, its going to be tough as all hell.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2019
Location: Wellingdingdington
Tehui wrote:
blackblackblack wrote:
Travel and altitude will be a bitch, but the better team will still win. Canes v Saders final, calling it now.


The Canes haven't been playing that well though. And the Lions have been unbeaten this year against NZ opposition.


Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:05 pm
Posts: 12067
The Native wrote:
Canes favorites for this game. Can't see any other conclusion after the Lions squeaked past the Sharks.

Indeed, but I think that favours the Lions. A tight game a team is fortunate to win focuses the collective better than a complacency-inducing easy victory.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:08 am
Posts: 544
Am not confident for hurricanes, Lions will throw everything at them after last year and hurricanes not playing as well as last year but fingers crossed though...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13407
Location: Melbourne
I think the Canes will do the Lions. The Lions will play their first Kiwi team this season and I believe they will find it a very searching examination indeed.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24022
jdogscoop wrote:
I think the Canes will do the Lions. The Lions will play their first Kiwi team this season and I believe they will find it a very searching examination indeed.


Only if the Lions play like yesterday - maybe. The Canes are off last year's form, lost twice to the Chiefs, who were pushed close by the Stormers, who lost comfortably to the Sharks and the Lions.

I think it's going to be a close game between two teams that play a similar game, probably an "easier" team for the Lions to play than the Sharks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14091
The Lions have been poor the last month. They need to get their heads out of their asses.

I think playing the Sharks in the quarters will count against them, as they are a very negative team and have a tendency to bring you down to their level.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14184
Jensrsa wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
I think the Canes will do the Lions. The Lions will play their first Kiwi team this season and I believe they will find it a very searching examination indeed.


Only if the Lions play like yesterday - maybe. The Canes are off last year's form, lost twice to the Chiefs, who were pushed close by the Stormers, who lost comfortably to the Sharks and the Lions.

I think it's going to be a close game between two teams that play a similar game, probably an "easier" team for the Lions to play than the Sharks.


Yes, easier.

That's why the Lions have lost their last eight games against the Canes (with margins of 17, 33 and 14 points during this current Lions renaissance) and have won their last six against the Sharks. :?

I admire your passion for your team, Jens, but you really do let optimism override sense at times.

Having said that, I also think it will be a close game and home advantage might just be enough to help the Lions sneak it. They've had a better season than the last few games would suggest and I wouldn't bet against them


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 12753
Lions easy season really was shown against the Sharks, come finals football they almost bottled it. The comparatively battle hardened Hurricanes - who enjoyed the brutal New Zealand conference - will be that much more of a challenge for the Lions. I expect a Hurricanes victory by 8-10 points.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24022
naki wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
I think the Canes will do the Lions. The Lions will play their first Kiwi team this season and I believe they will find it a very searching examination indeed.


Only if the Lions play like yesterday - maybe. The Canes are off last year's form, lost twice to the Chiefs, who were pushed close by the Stormers, who lost comfortably to the Sharks and the Lions.

I think it's going to be a close game between two teams that play a similar game, probably an "easier" team for the Lions to play than the Sharks.


Yes, easier.

That's why the Lions have lost their last eight games against the Canes (with margins of 17, 33 and 14 points during this current Lions renaissance) and have won their last six against the Sharks. :?

I admire your passion for your team, Jens, but you really do let optimism override sense at times.

Having said that, I also think it will be a close game and home advantage might just be enough to help the Lions sneak it. They've had a better season than the last few games would suggest and I wouldn't bet against them


Maybe I should have said they would be more comfortable playing the Canes


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:34 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 6312
Tough one to pick. A few weeks ago I'd have been relatively disparaging of the Canes's chances, but with the return of Coles, Lousi stepping up, Shields finding his feet a bit at 8 (missing Blade), Aso travelling and likely to play, I think if they do get the front line Canes that are remaining for this season on the field they should take it. The bench will be strong and able to keep the intensity up over 80 minutes regardless of the altitude.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 14184
Jensrsa wrote:
naki wrote:
Jensrsa wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
I think the Canes will do the Lions. The Lions will play their first Kiwi team this season and I believe they will find it a very searching examination indeed.


Only if the Lions play like yesterday - maybe. The Canes are off last year's form, lost twice to the Chiefs, who were pushed close by the Stormers, who lost comfortably to the Sharks and the Lions.

I think it's going to be a close game between two teams that play a similar game, probably an "easier" team for the Lions to play than the Sharks.


Yes, easier.

That's why the Lions have lost their last eight games against the Canes (with margins of 17, 33 and 14 points during this current Lions renaissance) and have won their last six against the Sharks. :?

I admire your passion for your team, Jens, but you really do let optimism override sense at times.

Having said that, I also think it will be a close game and home advantage might just be enough to help the Lions sneak it. They've had a better season than the last few games would suggest and I wouldn't bet against them


Maybe I should have said they would be more comfortable playing the Canes


Probably a bit more sensible. The Canes aren't as stable this season and certainly play a loose enough game on attack that a team like the Lions (if they improve their accuracy) could exploit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5954
BB needs to find his magic. Been off colour lately.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 24022
Quote:
The team left Sydney for Africa on Sunday, with a full complement of players to pick from.

That includes centre Vince Aso, who passed a Saturday morning fitness test and immediately flew out to join the team in Sydney.

Hooker Ricky Riccitelli was the only potential injury concern out of the Brumbies game but, so far at least, has shown no ill-effects of a first-half hit that required a concussion test.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/95022692/the-hurricanes-know-what-to-do-in-johannesburg-super-rugby-semifinal


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 1243
Lions should go well next week.
last game they tried to put 30 on sharks in first 15 mins and it backfired to leave them 5 behind.
Was impressed with the energy they gave at first but they got sucked away from their best game plan.
Was impressed how sharks held in for what I watched and all teams shouldn't be scared to take 3 from a drop if necessary it sucks moral out of defenders big time.

A few calls could have gone each way but in the end you have to aim to win by 10 or more.
Secretly glad lions won since they are most likely of SA teams to go all the way.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Posts: 6897
Location: NZ
Neither side will be complacent after their showings in the quarter finals. Being a Crusaders fan I'll care more about their result, but for me, seeing the Lions up against a Kiwi side for the first time this year makes this the more intriguing semi.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 30072
Location: Innie Kaap
JB1981 wrote:
Neither side will be complacent after their showings in the quarter finals. Being a Crusaders fan I'll care more about their result, but for me, seeing the Lions up against a Kiwi side for the first time this year makes this the more intriguing semi.


They got a huge fright yesterday and were exposed . Their lightweight side and flaky flyhalf are a concern for me. As much as I would love to see them go on and win it Warren is the glue and inspiration that this team lives on. Without him they are without direction and the calming influence that Junktjies needs to help him focus. If the Canes boys are bigger than the Lions backline the Lions will struggle because the forwards will have to work very hard. And the tussle this past weekend took a lot out of them


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 775 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Achahoish, Flockwitt, gonesouth, Keith, Mr Mike, pigaaaa, RuggaBugga and 58 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group