Rugby World Cup 2023 Bids

All things Rugby
eldanielfire

Rugby World Cup 2023 Bids

Post by eldanielfire »

https://thesportsdragon.com/2017/08/02/ ... -2023-bid/

Macron is heading up Frances bid. Sounds like they are serious, guaranteeing more money then what is needed. irelan and South Africa the otehr bidders. I'm personally happy to see it coming close to my corner of the world. Ireland or France. Both would do a good job I'm sure.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/news/the-batt ... ight-77460
Diego

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Bids

Post by Diego »

France can fúck right off. They only had it ten years ago sure.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

Diego wrote:France can fúck right off. They only had it ten years ago sure.
Indeed. The World Cup should be about growing the game, why are they even being considered?
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Crash_12 wrote:
Indeed. The World Cup should be about growing the game, why are they even being considered?
we are a regressing nation.

:twisted:
Boxcar Ira

Post by Boxcar Ira »

eldanielfire wrote:https://thesportsdragon.com/2017/08/02/ ... -2023-bid/

Macron is heading up Frances bid. Sounds like they are serious, guaranteeing more money then what is needed. irelan and South Africa the otehr bidders. I'm personally happy to see it coming close to my corner of the world. Ireland or France. Both would do a good job I'm sure.

http://www.rugbyworld.com/news/the-batt ... ight-77460
I knew le Pen was the better option.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Crash_12 wrote:
The money can be used to grow the game. It's not like rugby isn't already popular and established in the other two bidding nations.
SamShark

Post by SamShark »

Wherever it ends up, games will inexplicably be played in Cardiff.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

SamShark wrote:Wherever it ends up, games will inexplicably be played in Cardiff.
:lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Crash_12 wrote:

The one before is in Japan. The 3 countries bidding are all Rugby established countries. It's not up to the organisers to force new countries to bid. Also the RWC is hugely important that it makes money. The money made is used to grow the game across the world. The more it makes the better it is for world rugby.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

SamShark wrote:Wherever it ends up, games will inexplicably be played in Cardiff.
I was actually looking to see if the Irish or French bid was going to use Cardiff :lol:
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

I'm backing the South Africa bid :thumbup:
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

eldanielfire wrote:
I was actually looking to see if the Irish or French bid was going to use Cardiff :lol:
French won't we 'paid' already.

Irish does not either
Dai another day

Post by Dai another day »

That is not a good enough reason to hold back a superior bid.

I was watching the World Athletics Championships in London and it got me thinking. London should have another Olympic Games in the near future. Maybe 2032?

The facilities are all there. The crowds would be there. Just everything about it would be special, just like in 2012. Rio was a poor games in comparison.

I'm sure the French would put on a special show, if voted for again, for the Rugby World Cup.

I don't want to give away too much detail but I've heard that the Irish have many flaws in their bid and the WRU are more than willing to point them out.
Last edited by Dai another day on Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

Rugby2023 wrote:
Crash_12 wrote:
The money can be used to grow the game. It's not like rugby isn't already popular and established in the other two bidding nations.
Fair enough, but share out the revenue too. Ireland and SA are much more worthy.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

SA has Lions Tour in 2021. Stupid having RWC just two years later
Diego

Post by Diego »

Dai another day wrote:
That is not a good enough reason to hold back a superior bid.

I was watching the World Athletics Championships in London and it got me thinking. London should have another Olympic Games in the near future. Maybe 2032?

The facilities are all there. The crowds would be there. Just everything about it would be special, just like in 2012. Rio was a poor games in comparison.

I'm sure the French would put on a special show again for the Rugby World Cup.

I've heard that the Irish have many flaws in their bid and the WRU are more than willing to point them out.
:lol:
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

eldanielfire wrote:
Crash_12 wrote:

The one before is in Japan. The 3 countries bidding are all Rugby established countries. It's not up to the organisers to force new countries to bid. Also the RWC is hugely important that it makes money. The money made is used to grow the game across the world. The more it makes the better it is for world rugby.
Ireland has never hosted one before, It's been over 20 years since SA had it.

French bid is farce bid.
Diego wrote:France can fúck right off
Clive Simms

Post by Clive Simms »

On what sort of experience it would be then Ireland should get it I think it would be as magical as JK Rowling described a quidditch World Cup
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

"We can't manufacture stuff anymore because we're uncompetitive. How do we get people to spend money then? I know, bread and circuses!"

For the record, not just a swipe at France. More a swipe at the politicians of first world countries.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Clive Simms wrote:On what sort of experience it would be then Ireland should get it I think it would be as magical as JK Rowling described a quidditch World Cup
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Paris are going to host the olympics in 2024

Would be madness to give them the rugby World Cup the year beforehand .... the rugby would inevitably play second fiddle to the olympics, which would take all the 'in country' sponsorship, political focus, public good will etc .... leaving the rugby to suck on the hind tit
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

rfurlong wrote:Paris are going to host the olympics in 2024

Would be madness to give them the rugby World Cup the year beforehand .... the rugby would inevitably play second fiddle to the olympics, which would take all the 'in country' sponsorship, political focus, public good will etc .... leaving the rugby to suck on the hind tit
I'm not so sure. The RWC being the year before will be the first focus. I don't recall the UK going Olympic mad until 2012. I'd be more concerned if it was the eyar after. Though a bit of me feels it makes more sense if Ireland get it first as they never hosted one. I'd be happy for France to get it in 2027. Though again Italy would be amazing too for the same reasons as Ireland. Plus more sun, ignoring the obligatory Cardiff match.
Adetroy

Post by Adetroy »

In other words identical to Japan 2019 which is in exactly the same position having the Olympics the following year.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Adetroy wrote:In other words identical to Japan 2019 which is in exactly the same position having the Olympics the following year.
Good point.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Clive Simms wrote:On what sort of experience it would be then Ireland should get it I think it would be as magical as JK Rowling described a quidditch World Cup

You mean all the accommodation will be in tents?
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Good man. It's awlays about the deals in the background, always about the deals. Unless it goes to Ireland, the reneging twats!
mikerob

Post by mikerob »

Adetroy wrote:In other words identical to Japan 2019 which is in exactly the same position having the Olympics the following year.
However Japan 2019 RWC was awarded before the 2020 Olympics.

World Rugby announced England 2015 and Japan 2019 in 2009 while Tokyo 2020 was announced in 2013.

World Rugby may have been aware that Japan was thinking of bidding for 2020 but the Olympics bidding process hadn't started when the 2019 RWC was awarded.

World Rugby couldn't do anything about 2019 but my guess is they won't want to play second fiddle to the Olympics for the 2023 RWC.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

I would be gutted if Ireland didn't get it but it's due to go Southern Hemisphere so South Africa could very well get 2023.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

iarmhiman wrote:I would be gutted if Ireland didn't get it but it's due to go Southern Hemisphere so South Africa could very well get 2023.
Given their farse with the Commonwealth games surely there isn't much confidence in South Africa hosting right now?

I also don't think the NH-SH turns will work much. Argentina can't afford it with their economy, New Zealand probably can't or won't again and that leaves just the saffers whose government hates Rugby and Oz who aren't much interested. I can see multiple NH tournaments with ireland, France and recently Italy all up for it.
spiderzinc

Post by spiderzinc »

Sandstorm wrote:SA has Lions Tour in 2021. Stupid having RWC just two years later
Australia Lions 2001
Australia RWC 2003

Seemed to work fine
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

eldanielfire wrote:
Good point.
Watching the local media, there would be 20 items concerning the Olympics for every one about RWC2019.
Let's face it, lads, the Olympics is the monster tournament and preparation takes several years, news of which takes away from potential coverage of preparation for RWC. It is a serious mistake to host RWC the year before the Olympics.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Well, rugby union is not a huge sport outside of New Zealand, white South Africa, a few Pacific islands, southern France, and segments of the British Isles. It's not surprising the Olympics are a much bigger deal.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Flyin Ryan wrote:Well, rugby union is not a huge sport outside of New Zealand, white South Africa, a few Pacific islands, southern France, and segments of the British Isles. It's not surprising the Olympics are a much bigger deal.
:? South Africa has a huge black following of rugby.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

spiderzinc wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:SA has Lions Tour in 2021. Stupid having RWC just two years later
Australia Lions 2001
Australia RWC 2003

Seemed to work fine
Except the 2003 RWC was supposed to be in NZ and they screwed up, so Australia picked up the pieces.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Flyin Ryan wrote:Well, rugby union is not a huge sport outside of New Zealand, white South Africa, a few Pacific islands, southern France, and segments of the British Isles. It's not surprising the Olympics are a much bigger deal.
I was responding, or at least meant to, to eldaniel's comment
The RWC being the year before will be the first focus.
That is definitely not what is happening here. The focus on the Olympics will heighten and intensify the closer we get, potentially pushing the RWC even further out of the spotlight.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Cheeky Frenchies :lol:

Financially, the French bid blows the other 2 out of the water.

However, there are still other issues. I'd like to think rugby could be a bit different and send it to a small country every 2nd or 3rd world cup cycle.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

That's a given. Even the spivs knew that was a necessity
handyman

Post by handyman »

Would love a RWC in South Africa again.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

handyman wrote:Would love a RWC in South Africa again.
Agreed - well overdue
naki

Post by naki »

The Irish bid has to win, they've promised the most commercially successful tournament of all time and have the most rugby fans per capita in the world according to their official pitch. :thumbup: