Rugby World Cup 2023 Bids

All things Rugby
iarmhiman

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Bids

Post by iarmhiman »

When the Welsh and Scots come over for the 6 Nations. Let them have hell
Last edited by iarmhiman on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
croyals

Post by croyals »

In all the talk of rejuvenating SA rugby, it shouldn't be forgotten that a strong France is the way into cracking much of continental Europe.
theo

Post by theo »

henry wrote:Pretty poor decision really. A safe, uninspiring and samey choice that says little for global growth and everything about money and maintaining the status quo.

The French will do a good job but very disappointed for the Irish. It would have been great to see them host the tournament. Think they would have brought something a bit different and an enthusiasm and atmosphere that only a small, dense country can produce.

Shame some can't separate the premature and ill-founded hubris on here from the genuine rugby fans out there. Bit unedifying too.

Everyone's lost here.
<snigger>
henry

Post by henry »

Any chance of people separating the unions from the fans?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

theo wrote:
henry wrote:Pretty poor decision really. A safe, uninspiring and samey choice that says little for global growth and everything about money and maintaining the status quo.

The French will do a good job but very disappointed for the Irish. It would have been great to see them host the tournament. Think they would have brought something a bit different and an enthusiasm and atmosphere that only a small, dense country can produce.

Shame some can't separate the premature and ill-founded hubris on here from the genuine rugby fans out there. Bit unedifying too.

Everyone's lost here.
<snigger>
spotted that as well. Classic snide posting by Henners
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

croyals wrote:In all the talk of rejuvenating SA rugby, it shouldn't be forgotten that a strong France is the way into cracking much of continental Europe.

Are you basing this on anything?

The writings on the Duke of Marlborough or the like?
Jake

Post by Jake »

rfurlong wrote:
No.6 wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
No.6 wrote:
rfurlong wrote: The RWC goes to a country who don't give a fook about fan experience

You should go to France and watch or even play rugby there. They love it, very passionate fans.
I was at the final in 2007 you dumb cvnt ...... worst experience ever

You were probably just upset that England lost. I saw games in Nantes, Bordeaux, Toulouse and Lyon - all packed stadiums. Great atmosphere. I've toured there as a player 3 times as well, they are fantastic hosts.
the whole of paris went on strike on final day .... same will happen in 2023
Good point!

It was absolute chaos. I remember it very well!
Andalu

Post by Andalu »

croyals wrote:In all the talk of rejuvenating SA rugby, it shouldn't be forgotten that a strong France is the way into cracking much of continental Europe.
I'm no longer feeling any schadenfreude from SA's decline, they needed this more.

But at least this way we don't have to rely on corrupt governments or infrastructure upgrades.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

theo wrote:
paddyor wrote:
No.6 wrote:
rfurlong wrote: The RWC goes to a country who don't give a fook about fan experience

You should go to France and watch or even play rugby there. They love it, very passionate fans.
They don't care about the international game.
They certainly did in 2007. It was awesome.
That's 10 years ago when they were they weren't crap. It won't be the same.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Mullet 2 wrote:

The fact that they are the only one of the 6N to show any interest in rugby on the continent? That they have played Top 14 games in Spain? That it dispels the image of rugby as a sport for the Anglosphere?
theo

Post by theo »

paddyor wrote:
theo wrote:
paddyor wrote:
No.6 wrote:

They don't care about the international game.
They certainly did in 2007. It was awesome.
That's 10 years ago when they were they weren't crap. It won't be the same.
They lost their opening game to Argentina.....
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

The fact that they are the only one of the 6N to show any interest in rugby on the continent? That they have played Top 14 games in Spain? That it dispels the image of rugby as a sport for the Anglosphere?
This. European continental rugby basically only exists thanks to the froggies. Not sure it's an argument for them getting the world cup, but it's true.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

henry wrote:Any chance of people separating the unions from the fans?
This. Deep down (below all the bluster & bantz) I think most Welsh & Scottish fans would have loved to see the RWC in Ireland - it would have been a great tournament.

The casual fan has nothing but distain for the blazers that run the game (certainly in the case of the WRU).

Hard luck Ireland :thumbup:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

iarmhiman wrote:When the Welsh and Scots come over for the 6 Nations. Let them have hell
Based on assumptions and rumours that they may or may not have voted for another bidder?
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Zakar wrote:
croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

This. European continental rugby basically only exists thanks to the froggies. Not sure it's an argument for them getting the world cup, but it's true.
That's a good point. I really wanted Ireland to win but now that France won it, I hope it will help rugby's growth on the continent. Would love to see strong teams from Germany, Netherlands, Spain, etc.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

theo wrote:
They lost their opening game to Argentina.....
They managed to lose 3 games despite making the semi.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

The achievement of a "strong France" via granting them the RWC, for the purposes of "cracking continental Europe" is possibly the most spivtastic thing I've ever heard :lol:

The same T14 sides you laud for playing games in Spain, are setting up academies in the Pacific ffs. They (and their owners) are the very reason why France's international side is such a fvcking mess today.

France have been rewarded for throwing money at the bid (as well as guaranteeing bigger financial returns to WR and sponsors). They have won, not because they represent an opportunity to grow the game as per your analysis. They have won because they are spivs.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

Given the result for the technical stage, and the fall out resulting from how that result was derived, securing the RWC 2023 for Ireland was always going to be a difficult ask.

Pity.
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

theo wrote:They lost their opening game to Argentina.....
Who were also a very good team.
France 2007>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>France now
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

TranceNRG wrote:
Zakar wrote:
croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

That's a good point. I really wanted Ireland to win but now that France won it, I hope it will help rugby's growth on the continent. Would love to see strong teams from Germany, Netherlands, Spain, etc.
Will not happen.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

P in VG wrote:
henry wrote:Any chance of people separating the unions from the fans?
This. Deep down (below all the bluster & bantz) I think most Welsh & Scottish fans would have loved to see the RWC in Ireland - it would have been a great tournament.

The casual fan has nothing but distain for the blazers that run the game (certainly in the case of the WRU).

Hard luck Ireland :thumbup:
Indeed. I really hoped Ireland got it, everything from them being first timers, the fact the country would go made for it, the good position for most rugby tourists, even the good hope they should have their chance to host a big tournament. The stadiums argument is poop, a few seconds of helicopter shots of some funky roof nobody gives a f##k about is no argument to host a RWC as long as the numbers can be accommodated. No converted soccer stadium will make a match go better. Don't get me wrong, France will put on a good RWC but Ireland would have been amazing.
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

rfurlong wrote:
croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

The achievement of a "strong France" via granting them the RWC, for the purposes of "cracking continental Europe" is possibly the most spivtastic thing I've ever heard :lol:

The same T14 sides you laud for playing games in Spain, are setting up academies in the Pacific ffs. They (and their owners) are the very reason why France's international side is such a fvcking mess today.

France have been rewarded for throwing money at the bid (as well as guaranteeing bigger financial returns to WR and sponsors). They have won, not because they represent an opportunity to grow the game as per your analysis. They have won because they are spivs.
What a steaming massive pile of envious horse manure.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

TranceNRG wrote:
Me too. That is also why I feel the Rugby world cup needs to expand.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Miguel Indurain wrote:Given the result for the technical stage, and the fall out resulting from how that result was derived, securing the RWC 2023 for Ireland was always going to be a difficult ask.

Pity.
The next technical report for 2027 will simply lay out the pro's and con's of each bid, with no explicit recommendation

Bill Beaumont looks like a tool now after vociferously defending the report/recommendation

If it emerges that France have promised pool matches to voting councils, there is probably nothing that WR can do?
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Really? You don't think bringing Italy into the Celtic League was a big deal?
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

sorCrer wrote:
TranceNRG wrote: That's a good point. I really wanted Ireland to win but now that France won it, I hope it will help rugby's growth on the continent. Would love to see strong teams from Germany, Netherlands, Spain, etc.
Will not happen.
It won't happen in a few years but it could spark their interest.
Stu Wilsons gloves

Post by Stu Wilsons gloves »

Wow, France won, I would have been happy for any three of the hosts to win. But France is France, a magnificent place.
Andalu

Post by Andalu »

Glad we got our couple in early. Can't see a small nation hosting it in the future unless as part of a coalition.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

TranceNRG wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
TranceNRG wrote: That's a good point. I really wanted Ireland to win but now that France won it, I hope it will help rugby's growth on the continent. Would love to see strong teams from Germany, Netherlands, Spain, etc.
Will not happen.
It won't happen in a few years but it could spark their interest.
German national rugby has been around since 1927. It will not spark fudge-all.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

IBWT wrote:
happyhooker wrote:Welsh and Scots voted for France it seems
Can never trust a celt.
How did the 18 votes end up going to France. I can see the argument for Ireland and the argument for SA but France? It will be the meh World Cup. Ireland need not bother it’s hole bidding again, same goes for any other small nation except possible NZ who would have the clout to negotiate the horse trading
panamax

Post by panamax »

rfurlong wrote:
croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Andalu

Post by Andalu »

Spain and Poland would be better bets than Germany.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Did having France in 2007 kick on a few European teams? What a crock.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

rfurlong wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:Given the result for the technical stage, and the fall out resulting from how that result was derived, securing the RWC 2023 for Ireland was always going to be a difficult ask.

Pity.
The next technical report for 2027 will simply lay out the pro's and con's of each bid, with no explicit recommendation

Bill Beaumont looks like a tool now after vociferously defending the report/recommendation

If it emerges that France have promised pool matches to voting councils, there is probably nothing that WR can do?
I don't know enough to be able to comment.
It seems to me that the technical stage result and how the stage was judged was one problem. It is arguable that the IRFU reaction to that stage result certainly didn't help matters too, and helped seal the fate of our unsuccessful 2023 bid.

The next opportunity to bid will be 2031.
clydecloggie

Post by clydecloggie »

sorCrer wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
Will not happen.
Dutch Rugby Union has a stated aim of qualifying for RWC2023. I personally think that's 4 years early but expect them to qualify in 2027. Great youth set up with rugby skills academies linked to high schools set up in key areas, player numbers increasing exponentially over the last few years, and a physique made for rugby. Also plenty of SA / NZ / Aus players with a Dutch granny around - once the team gets close to qualifying I expect quite a few e-mails will be sent to Rugby Nederland HQ from those places enquiring about eligibility.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Kid A wrote:
rfurlong wrote:
croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

What a steaming massive pile of envious horse manure.
lookit, we all understand and acknowledge that some of the welsh need to hide behind the apron strings of their bigger neighbours, but lots of the free world would have liked to see the tournament go to a strong, confident, independent, smaller nation.

I know thats hard for you to comprehend, as you and many of your country( :lol: )men suffer from Stockholm syndrome and are in thrall to your english paymasters (seems the same still goes for some of the scots too), but sometimes pushing back against the status quo and showing some ambition and vision, can be a good move

you should try it ..... you'll loathe yourself much less afterwards.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

The correct decision for the sport. Well done.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

rfurlong wrote:
No.6 wrote:

I was at the final in 2007 you dumb cvnt ...... worst experience ever
mate, ireland was gone since the pool stage... you should have known your team wasn't playing in that game.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

clydecloggie wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
Will not happen.
Dutch Rugby Union has a stated aim of qualifying for RWC2023. I personally think that's 4 years early but expect them to qualify in 2027. Great youth set up with rugby skills academies linked to high schools set up in key areas, player numbers increasing exponentially over the last few years, and a physique made for rugby. Also plenty of SA / NZ / Aus players with a Dutch granny around - once the team gets close to qualifying I expect quite a few e-mails will be sent to Rugby Nederland HQ from those places enquiring about eligibility.

Didn't one dutch poster say there is real interest in rugby in the Neatherlands but they are only hampered by too few coaches.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Mullet 2 wrote:
croyals wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Really? You don't think bringing Italy into the Celtic League was a big deal?
No its been a disaster.
rfurlong wrote: The achievement of a "strong France" via granting them the RWC, for the purposes of "cracking continental Europe" is possibly the most spivtastic thing I've ever heard :lol:

Listen I fully respect the idea that we should host the tournament where it will have the best atmosphere for the people that attend (Ireland), and that we should keep rugby as essentially a closed club for the nations that already play, its great fun.

But surely you can also understand why WR has ambitions to get the sport going on a more popular footing in Spain/Germany/Netherlands/Portugal? I haven't lauded the Top 14 and far from it, but France is the best route to expanding Spanish rugby, for example.

If we were still an amateur game then an Irish WC would be a no brainer. But that's not what we have and so we have a money oriented business. That is just a fact, however much we can try and deny it.