Rugby World Cup 2023 Bids

All things Rugby
panamax

Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Bids

Post by panamax »

rfurlong wrote:
Clouseau wrote:
rfurlong wrote:but the locals wont have a clue/wont give a fook that the tournament is even on
I know you're disappointed but this is simply not true.
should have limited this comment to Parisians ...... the most inhospitable people on the planet
naaah we're not that bad, tell you what, if you do turn up i'll pay 50 cents of your 15 euros pint in a shitty café in Saint Denis

alors merci qui?
Petros

Post by Petros »

Tim. wrote:
MrDominator wrote:So have we worked out which of the Home Unions shafted the Irish in the first round of voting yet?

England, Wales, and Scotland had three votes apiece, but Ireland only got 8 votes. The RFU apparently voted for the Irish in the first round and then the French in the second, which leaves the Scots and Welsh as the potential Judases.

My money is on the Welsh.
Gerry Thornley, reporting from London, seems very confident that the Irish votes came from England, North America's regional vote, USA, Canada and 1 unknown minnow.
BBC
England backed the Irish bid but Wales supported South Africa and Scotland went with France.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Tim. wrote:
MrDominator wrote:So have we worked out which of the Home Unions shafted the Irish in the first round of voting yet?

England, Wales, and Scotland had three votes apiece, but Ireland only got 8 votes. The RFU apparently voted for the Irish in the first round and then the French in the second, which leaves the Scots and Welsh as the potential Judases.

Gerry Thornley, reporting from London, seems very confident that the Irish votes came from England, North America's regional vote, USA, Canada and 1 unknown minnow.
Fair play to the old pigdogs.

Not like our jealous small man syndrome Celtic "friends"
panamax

Post by panamax »

lexpat wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:I am sadly reminded that twitter is a far nastier place then this board could ever dream of:

Is this that you wish also ? You should be perma banned for re-posting this , as.hole.
keep calm and read the top of the message
booze

Post by booze »

What was the point of the technical report that took 15 months to produce?

Totally redundant.

Qatar for 2027 I reckon
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

Petros wrote:
Tim. wrote:

BBC
England backed the Irish bid but Wales supported South Africa and Scotland went with France.
:lol: :lol:
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Tim. wrote:

The minnow voting patterns will tell a tale alright ...... its likely that some such as Wales, tried to pick up some crumbs from South Africa or France, which will likely come out in the wash.

Its always going to be a problem when you have smaller, insecure, jealous, relatively insignificant unions, sensing an opportunity to throw their puny weight around at the big boys table.
Last edited by rfurlong on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Tim. wrote:

So the Welsh and the Scots carved us up...... Not surprised to be honest.
Stu Wilsons gloves

Post by Stu Wilsons gloves »

"the exact same thing and will just fvck you lot in the ass with money, for the bad of rugby." That's a pretty good PR vent.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

The Sun God wrote:
Tim. wrote:

So the Welsh and the Scots carved us up...... Not surprised to be honest.
minnows gonna minnow
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Kid A wrote:
Petros wrote:
Tim. wrote:

BBC
Oh dear Welshies and Scots :((
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

The Scots not voting for Ireland will hurt the IRFU, we've always been good partners. We knew the Welsh weren't voting for us anyway and sure that relationship is frostier anyway.
panamax

Post by panamax »

TranceNRG wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Petros wrote:
Tim. wrote:

BBC
the Auld alliance, alive and kicking
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

TranceNRG wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Petros wrote:
Tim. wrote:

BBC
its neatly summarises why they are still part of a colonial empire, when the rest of the rugby playing world has grown up
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

booze wrote:What was the point of the technical report that took 15 months to produce?

Totally redundant.

Qatar for 2027 I reckon
Yeah good question. A complete waste of time really and just a fig leaf for the fans before the real horse trading got underway.
rfurlong

Post by rfurlong »

Bullettyme wrote:
booze wrote:What was the point of the technical report that took 15 months to produce?

Totally redundant.

Qatar for 2027 I reckon
Yeah good question. A complete waste of time really and just a fig leaf for the fans before the real horse trading got underway.
any future report will have to limit itself to saying whether a host countrys bid stacks up ....i.e. is the bidder is capable of hosting the tournament?

a preferred bidder recommendation is a waste of time
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

clydecloggie wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
clydecloggie wrote: 28th actually.

Ah yes I see. My brother has move there from SA 2 years ago and wanted his kids to play. Says there is zero interest in the game.
Depends where you look. What town is he staying in?
Den Bosch
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

If Thornley's reporting of the vote is accurate, what onus was there on Wales and Scotland to vote for us?

I know they're part of the "Home Unions", but really apart from that what onus is there on them that they must vote for another home union nation? I don't see the obligation on them to vote for our bid. One would hope that they would vote for our bid, but there is no obligation on them compelling them to vote for our bid is there?
IBWT

Post by IBWT »

Word is England voted for Ireland. Welsh and Scots voted for France despite their professional teams playing in the same league as Ireland's professional teams.

Not confirmed though. One of the Welsh or Scots might have gone SA.
Last edited by IBWT on Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Miguel Indurain wrote:If Thornley's reporting of the vote is accurate, what onus was there on Wales and Scotland to vote for us?

I know they're part of the "Home Unions", but really apart from that what onus is there on them that they must vote for another home union nation? I don't see the obligation on them to vote for our bid. One would hope that they would vote for our bid, but there is no obligation on them compelling them to vote for our bid is there?

Supporting a nation of the same size and scope as your own with whom you share a domestic league and 140 years of tradition?
backrow

Post by backrow »

panamax wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:I am sadly reminded that twitter is a far nastier place then this board could ever dream of:

charming...
Good nCobus
Tim.

Post by Tim. »

Bullettyme wrote:

Totally redundant.

Qatar for 2027 I reckon
Surely there has to be a technical report on every bid, if only to ensure each bid team can run a WC before voting. The only difference is now it's published. They could stop ranking them, but they'd still have to do 99% of the process.

A report that said "yeah, these countries have all got their shit together, vote how you please" wouldn't look too different.
Blackrock Bullet

Miguel Indurain wrote:If Thornley's reporting of the vote is accurate, what onus was there on Wales and Scotland to vote for us?

There's no onus but if they were going for it, you would hope Ireland would support them due to our ongoing commercial relationships and historical factors. Plus it's right beside them and easy for their fans.
clydecloggie

Post by clydecloggie »

sorCrer wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Ah yes I see. My brother has move there from SA 2 years ago and wanted his kids to play. Says there is zero interest in the game.
Den Bosch
Really? The Dukes are one of the biggest clubs in the country with a successful youth section. He didn't try very hard if he wasn't able to find them.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

I was going to suggest they should have voted for the Irish out of intra-British solidarity, but that doesn't quite work for you guys, does it?

:lol:
booze

Post by booze »

Tim. wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Totally redundant.

Qatar for 2027 I reckon
Surely there has to be a technical report on every bid, if only to ensure each bid team can run a WC before voting. The only difference is now it's published. They could stop ranking them, but they'd still have to do 99% of the process.

A report that said "yeah, these countries have all got their shit together, vote how you please" wouldn't look too different.
Yes fair enough. Perhaps it should carry some votes if you are the preferred bidder.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

clydecloggie wrote:
sorCrer wrote:
clydecloggie wrote:
sorCrer wrote:

Den Bosch
Really? The Dukes are one of the biggest clubs in the country with a successful youth section. He didn't try very hard if he wasn't able to find them.
I think he goes there to watch games. He is obviously used to SA levels of participation and interest. He is coming out here next week so I'll ask him.
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

Mullet 2 wrote:

Supporting a nation of the same size and scope as your own with whom you share a domestic league and 140 years of tradition?
Maybe Scotland and Wales voted against Ireland on purpose due to the biased pro Irish nature in which the Pro14 league is set up.
Miguel Indurain

Post by Miguel Indurain »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:

There's no onus but if they were going for it, you would hope Ireland would support them due to our ongoing commercial relationships and historical factors. Plus it's right beside them and easy for their fans.
Reasonable points for sure. France is as geographically proximate to Wales and Scotland also.

I'm as disappointed as everyone else that our bid didn't win out. But taking it for granted that the other home unions are automatically going to vote for a bid by another home union seems naive. It certainly would be naive from this point onwards.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

rfurlong wrote:
Tim. wrote:

The minnow voting patterns will tell a tale alright ...... its likely that some such as Wales, tried to pick up some crumbs from South Africa or France, which will likely come out in the wash.

Its always going to be a problem when you have smaller, insecure, jealous, relatively insignificant unions, sensing an opportunity to throw their puny weight around at the big boys table.
:lol: So salty. I love the notion that Ireland are sat at he big boy table :lol:

Superiority complex much?!
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Anyway, I'd like to apologise to all Oirish blokes on here. I meant no harm and would have loved to go on the craic with you fella's. :thumbup:
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Petros wrote:BBC
:shock: :lol:
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

sorCrer wrote:Anyway, I'd like to apologise to all Oirish blokes on here. I meant no harm and would have loved to go on the craic with you fella's. :thumbup:
Ditto mate..... :thumbup:
Blackrock Bullet

Kid A wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Maybe Scotland and Wales voted against Ireland on purpose due to the biased pro Irish nature in which the Pro14 league is set up.
Well Wales and Scotland had more teams and more of a % share of the company that owned Celtic Rugby Limited for years, that would suggest they acted against their own interests.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

Fair play to England for doing the right thing.
In fairness they form for doing so.

https://youtu.be/VVm5KyioYMU
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
Kid A wrote:
Mullet 2 wrote:

Well Wales and Scotland had more teams and more of a % share of the company that owned Celtic Rugby Limited for years, that would suggest they acted against their own interests.
Nah, Scotland must have negotiated their vote in exchange for a lease of the Charles De Gaulle and a few Rafales post-Brexit when they decide to secede from tyranny. :thumbup:
Kid A

Post by Kid A »

Blackrock Bullet wrote:
No, it just means they're powerless.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

At least the South African fans have an incoming B&I Lions tour to look forward to in 2021.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Flametop wrote:Fair play to England for doing the right thing.
In fairness they form for doing so.

https://youtu.be/VVm5KyioYMU
:uhoh: Someone's got a short memory....
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

you don't get it, scotland just honoured the auld alliance.

:thumbup: