Bill Pulver's Replacement

All things Rugby
Burke's Boot

Bill Pulver's Replacement

Post by Burke's Boot »

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 8cdecb2c54

Surely can't be a Mungo with their admins reputation for having being corrupt and having their snouts firmly in the trough and in fact this White has two strikes against him being an erstwhile Queensland Cop too.

Another mentioned, Phil Kearns, is a nice bloke but a bit of a dribbler.

Finally the worst suggestion, a Kiwi Mungo:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/int ... ill-pulver
terangi48

Re: Bill Pulver's Replacement

Post by terangi48 »

Pulvers replacement.........the poisoned chalice.

Will there be any applicants? The shitfight is only kicking off........

The job would shorten anyones life expectancy by 40 years.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Since the main source of quality sports administration expertise these days seems to come via the Wellington-Gold Coast Facebook pipeline, I'd say let's start there.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

I see Greg Harris is being mentioned :uhoh:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Someone like David Gallop would be ideal, but he wouldn't leave FA to head up a basket-case organisation like the ARU.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Bill Pulver is a fcken clown. Anyone could do better than him
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

The bored as a collective should apply for it .... the board meetings would be epic and face it, couldn't really do worse than the current lot.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote:Bill Pulver is a fcken clown. Anyone could do better than him
He just implemented what the delegates wanted him to do at the most recent EGM, to cull one of the SR teams. You have a problem with him implementing the will of the key Australian stakeholders?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Good idea.

The problem starts at the top with the Chairman.

Appointing a banker to guide the business when everyone knows that bankers know sweet fckall about business. They know a lot about nudging money-making supertankers around but nothing about rescuing small, partially-holed WW2 corvettes and getting them into port
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote:
He just implemented what the delegates wanted him to do at the most recent EGM, to cull one of the SR teams. You have a problem with him implementing the will of the key Australian stakeholders?
You clearly know nothing about how Boards work
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

They know a lot about nudging money-making supertankers around but nothing about rescuing small, partially-holed WW2 corvettes and getting them into port
along with offshoring, outsourcing and cutting jobs.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Put your hat in the China. Your vast loige admin experience and MVP titles would make you a contender
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

shanky wrote:Good idea.

Appointing a banker to guide the business when everyone knows that bankers know sweet fckall about business. They know a lot about nudging money-making supertankers around but nothing about rescuing small, partially-holed WW2 corvettes and getting them into port

I dunno. How about Gail Kelly? She would be brilliant.
harvey wilson

Post by harvey wilson »

How about David Moffett?
spiderzinc

Post by spiderzinc »

Lets hope it ends up being Geoff Stooke
blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

I would like to nominate this chicken. Granted it isn't quite headless yet, but allow it some time to get it's feet under the desk.
shanky

Post by shanky »

wamberal99 wrote:

Another banker

My view is that you need someone with runs on the board in sports administration. Someone who has taken something minor and turned it, the hard way, into something major.

Someone from outside the GPS scene. Someone separated from the politics. Someone from overseas even.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Another banker

My view is that you need someone with runs on the board in sports administration. Someone who has taken something minor and turned it, the hard way, into something major.

Someone from outside the GPS scene. Someone separated from the politics. Someone from overseas even.
Give us some names then. Some realistic options, not fantasy options. You've spent ages crying about Bill Pulver, surely you've had enough time to think of some suitable alternatives?
harvey wilson

Post by harvey wilson »

blackblackblack wrote:I would like to nominate this chicken. Granted it isn't quite headless yet, but allow it some time to get it's feet under the desk.
:lol:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

wamberal99 wrote:

:lol:
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote:
shanky wrote:
wamberal99 wrote:

Another banker

Give us some names then. Some realistic options, not fantasy options. You've spent ages crying about Bill Pulver, surely you've had enough time to think of some suitable alternatives?
Why do I need to do that?

Appoint a search team. Go get some quailty names. Don't just do what they always do and pick the nearest person.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote:Why do I need to do that?
Of course you don't need to.

I just find people who spend all their time complaining about a problem, but who are never capable of offering any solutions to said problem, rather pathetic.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Anthony Everard
harvey wilson

Post by harvey wilson »

The ARU is starting to remind me of that line about people going bankrupt slowly at first then very quickly.
wamberal99

Post by wamberal99 »

Gail Kelly is from overseas. She was born in Seth Africa. She started life as a schoolteacher, then moved across to work as a bank teller. In other words, she started from the very bottom rung in banking.

She comes across as very grounded, highly intelligent, and balanced. She would make a brilliant Chairperson, if she was willing to take it on.

Mind you, I thought the same about Peter Cosgrove, and he was pretty invisible.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Why would anyone want a banker involved in anything? Jesus
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Dumbledore wrote:Why would anyone want a banker involved in anything? Jesus
Particularly a banker who thinks there's no need for extra government oversight into the Australian banking industry.

Perfect for the ARU.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

wamberal99 wrote:Gail Kelly is from overseas. She was born in Seth Africa. She started life as a schoolteacher, then moved across to work as a bank teller. In other words, she started from the very bottom rung in banking.

She comes across as very grounded, highly intelligent, and balanced. She would make a brilliant Chairperson, if she was willing to take it on.

Mind you, I thought the same about Peter Cosgrove, and he was pretty invisible.
I think you need someone who has a proven track record in Australian sports administration. Kelly has had a great career, but the Australian sports context is fairly unique.

I'll put up some names that could be realistic options; Andrew Fagan, Paul White, Dave Donaghy and if they wanted to think of someone from outside Australia which is not something that I would advise, Hamish Riach. All individuals who are probably earning less now than what the ARU would be offering.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Martin Snedden? Believe he had some success in sports admin and don't think he's doing anything of note at the moment.
shanky

Post by shanky »

And on the subject of Pulver. Let's examine why I'm supposedly 'crying about him'.

The Board can only vote on what's put in front of them. They meet once a month, they're not inside the organisation all the time. They have no real capacity to come up with different options.

A proper set of options and risk analysis is the job of the Executive (aka the CEO and his team). Anyone who thinks Pulver wasn't controlling the debate, steering the agenda - is sadly naive.

Let's go back a couple of years when they were talking up the expansion to 18 teams. Pulver was clearly seduced by the idea of a sweet new TV deal.
At the time, people were warning of the potential damage to our local brand, the loss of local derbies, the matches being played in non-friendly timeslots, the effect on the viewing public and the quality of the rugby.

All this was brushed aside in pursuit of the fool's gold.

Soon after the deal was signed, Pulver was trumpeting that he'd finagled an even better deal, preferring to remain silent on the fact that, since the deal was priced in US$, the improvement had come about solely due to FX movement in the A$ in the time between announcement and completion.

So yes, the money was the main thing he focussed on. He was presumably tired of laying of IT staff to cut costs and saw this as a good thing

However, there was no adequate review of the risks. Even leaving aside the dangers to the 'product', they would have known about the parlous state of the finances of the member unions and they should have known what the tolerances were surrounding any potential dips in gate or sponsor revenues.

All this should have been assessed properly. But is wasn't.

Why can I say this? Easy. Because anytime something like this goes wrong within a year of starting (rather than say, 3-5 years), then it was clearly a foreseeable event. A foreseeable fvck up is, was, and always will be, a fault of management, not bad luck.

Having made this foreseeable, tragic error, they then compound it by knee-jerking into the next one (cutting teams).

That is why Pulver is a clown and an incompetent, IMO.

Clyne's job is the represent the interests of the shareholders (the unions). He did not do a good enough job of that. He let Pulver sign that ridiculous travesty of a deal that has done irreperable harm to the unions and the game.

And that's why Clyne needs to go as well.

/rant
blackblackblack

Wignu wrote:Martin Snedden? Believe he had some success in sports admin and don't think he's doing anything of note at the moment.
Deans coaching then Snedden running the show, the little battlers would choke on their cornflakes. M8.
Stick with the Chook, best suited to the role.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote:
shanky wrote:Why do I need to do that?
Of course you don't need to.

I just find people who spend all their time complaining about a problem, but who are never capable of offering any solutions to said problem, rather pathetic.
So, me nominating someone off the top of my head is more valid than conducting a proper search for fresh candidates?

You're an idiot.
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

shanky wrote:And on the subject of Pulver. Let's examine why I'm supposedly 'crying about him'.

The Board can only vote on what's put in front of them. They meet once a month, they're not inside the organisation all the time. They have no real capacity to come up with different options.

A proper set of options and risk analysis is the job of the Executive (aka the CEO and his team). Anyone who thinks Pulver wasn't controlling the debate, steering the agenda - is sadly naive.

Let's go back a couple of years when they were talking up the expansion to 18 teams. Pulver was clearly seduced by the idea of a sweet new TV deal.
At the time, people were warning of the potential damage to our local brand, the loss of local derbies, the matches being played in non-friendly timeslots, the effect on the viewing public and the quality of the rugby.

Soon after the deal was signed, Pulver was trumpeting that he'd finagled an even better deal, preferring to remain silent on the fact that, since the deal was priced in US$, the improvement had come about solely due to FX movement in the A$ in the time between announcement and completion.

So yes, the money was the main thing he focussed on. He was presumably tired of laying of IT staff to cut costs and saw this as a good thing

However, there was no adequate review of the risks. Even leaving aside the dangers to the 'product', they would have known about the parlous state of the finances of the member unions and they should have known what the tolerances were surrounding any potential dips in gate or sponsor revenues.

Why can I say this? Easy. Because anytime something like this goes wrong within a year of starting (rather than say, 3-5 years), then it was clearly a foreseeable event. A foreseeable fvck up is, was, and always will be, a fault of management, not bad luck.

Having made this foreseeable, tragic error, they then compound it by knee-jerking into the next one (cutting teams).

Clyne's job is the represent the interests of the shareholders (the unions). He did not do a good enough job of that. He let Pulver sign that ridiculous travesty of a deal that has done irreperable harm to the unions and the game.

/rant
Spot on and they don't want any ex player either. Ex Wallabies are only interested in feathering their own nests, not looking to the future of Aussie rugby. It needs to be someone with a sports background, because that person needs to have the nous to lure back the fans. Pulver and Clyne have done a sterling job in getting rid of them wot. :yawn:
spiderzinc

Post by spiderzinc »

shanky wrote:And on the subject of Pulver. Let's examine why I'm supposedly 'crying about him'.

/rant
Excellent post. Would have.to agree with that.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

The name is not material.

The content will be somehere between this

and this

but with a distinctly north shore touch.
blackblackblack

Video evidence as to why the Chook is best suited for the role.

https://www.facebook.com/LADbible/video ... 441330256/
Burke's Boot

Post by Burke's Boot »

I thought JON did ok the first time no doubt helped substantially by once in a generation players and a weak ABs team for several years post 1997.
Norman Harvey

Post by Norman Harvey »

Ian Ritchie may be tempted by the challenge.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

It's time!
Spoiler: show
kiap

Post by kiap »

spiderzinc wrote:
shanky wrote:The Board can only vote on what's put in front of them. They meet once a month, they're not inside the organisation all the time. They have no real capacity to come up with different options.

A proper set of options and risk analysis is the job of the Executive (aka the CEO and his team).
Anyone who thinks Pulver wasn't controlling the debate, steering the agenda - is sadly naive.

Let's go back a couple of years when they were talking up the expansion to 18 teams. Pulver was clearly seduced by the idea of a sweet new TV deal ...
Excellent post. Would have.to agree with that.
Of course normally that is the case, and it began that way at the ARU - as you say when the expansion to 18 teams went ahead. So he he did steer the ship but, around 18 months ago, Pulver shat the bed. He lay in it. I even heard he had a bit of a breakdown but, either way, Bill went missing in action; he wasn't spruiking any more, in fact he wouldn't say boo to a goose. Clone stepped into the lead and got Pulver onto cleaning up the mess. Bill went back on everything he said about "not shrinking to greatness", humiliation complete. Pulver was no more than a bitch for his last year in office.
Last edited by kiap on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.