Tattoo thread

All things Rugby
_fatprop

Re: Tattoo thread

Post by _fatprop »

Sinkers wrote:Here's one for the English chaps on the bored. Tally ho, what! :lol:

I thought the original of the fox hunting one was supposed to have the fox's tail disappearing up the blokes arse.
It is a separate attachment

Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

_fatprop wrote:
Sinkers wrote:Here's one for the English chaps on the bored. Tally ho, what! :lol:

I thought the original of the fox hunting one was supposed to have the fox's tail disappearing up the blokes arse.
It is a separate attachment

I don't want to know what, why or how you found that you sick bastard.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

I'm becoming more and more fascinated by fan bias, like people who can't see a clear forward pass thrown by their team. Have just been reading from a lot of people on twitter saying there's nothing wrong with the thumbs of this tattoo that got the artists booted off Ink Master.

... the reference has wonky thumbs, true, but they are clearly on the near side of the hand, while the tattoos' are on the back side of the hands and coming forward. It was a little sad watching the episode, though, because another team spotted it before it was inked and allowed those guys to put that tattoo on the person to get an edge in the competition (thought it's not a horrific mistake, it is now a very public one). :?
Stevus55

Post by Stevus55 »

I cringe every time I watch that show. Who would sign up to get a tattoo they don't have much control over, that is then going to be ripped to shreds on national TV? :?
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Stevus55 wrote:I cringe every time I watch that show. Who would sign up to get a tattoo they don't have much control over, that is then going to be ripped to shreds on national TV? :?
And they're never good either! Like, they deserve to be ripped. It's brutal stuff.
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Stevus55 wrote:I cringe every time I watch that show. Who would sign up to get a tattoo they don't have much control over, that is then going to be ripped to shreds on national TV? :?
I love it when they get angry with the person getting the tattoo for wanting something different to what the tattooist wants to tattoo.
fraz

Post by fraz »

How have I never heard of this programme? It sounds like a glorious train crash.
SecretAgentMan

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Nieghorn wrote:I'm becoming more and more fascinated by fan bias, like people who can't see a clear forward pass thrown by their team. Have just been reading from a lot of people on twitter saying there's nothing wrong with the thumbs of this tattoo that got the artists booted off Ink Master.
Spoiler: show

... the reference has wonky thumbs, true, but they are clearly on the near side of the hand, while the tattoos' are on the back side of the hands and coming forward. It was a little sad watching the episode, though, because another team spotted it before it was inked and allowed those guys to put that tattoo on the person to get an edge in the competition (thought it's not a horrific mistake, it is now a very public one). :?
Reminds me of this old NZ Federation of Labour logo that used to regularly appear on TV news programs back in the 70s.

A right hand on a left arm? :roll:
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

fraz wrote:How have I never heard of this programme? It sounds like a glorious train crash.

I'll let you fill in the rest
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

I've wondered the same and it was only in this season where I finally heard one of the artists exclaim during the "what each canvas wants" segment: "Where do they find these f*&%ing people!?!?" :lol:

That said, there are people who just love tattoos and don't mind so much what goes on so long as it looks cool. Not my style at all, but obviously enough of them exist. Keep in mind, too, that apprentice artists need someone to tattoo and they often rely on these people to train on (usually covered in random tats). A friend of a cousin was willing to give dirt cheap / free tattoos if he could use you to practice on! Hell no ...
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Love the contrast and texture in this ...

Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Nieghorn wrote:Love the contrast and texture in this ...

How long would a tattoo like this take?
Stevus55

Post by Stevus55 »

I like those sleeves. They remind me a little bit of these which I also quite like

Sards

Post by Sards »

Decided to change my artist. He is really going through a rough patch at home. I can just imagine what it must be like to lose your 8 year old daughter.

Found another artist who seems to work hard on his images. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I want my skull and Medusa done now.

Bit nervous about the new bloke. What do you think.

://skullboxtattoocompany.co.za/donovan-mcdonald/

Check his profile
Sards

Post by Sards »

I want these either side of the blade
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Big Nipper wrote:

]
How long would a tattoo like this take?

Can only guess, but a full colour piece that covers half my lower leg took 8 hours (two sittings). I'd imagine full sleeve is heading into 20+ hours territory.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

We were talking about 'watercolour' a while back and I finally saw one that I liked. Given that she's sweeping her hair from the water, I like the dripping / out of the lines aspect, and the colour actually looks washed out.

Zico

Post by Zico »

I like Celtic crosses because they're unique to this part of the world and look beautiful carved in stone.

Tattoos of them can be hit and miss.

Every dickhead seems to have one now though. :frown:
usermame

Post by usermame »

Sards wrote:Check his profile
Seems more precise in his detail.
usermame

Post by usermame »

Don't know that I'd want to wear it but it's awesome work.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Zico wrote:I like Celtic crosses because they're unique to this part of the world and look beautiful carved in stone.

Tattoos of them can be hit and miss.

Every dickhead seems to have one now though. :frown:

Yep. It's one thing I don't get about people and their tattoos ... get the same thing a lot of other people have. If you like the style or a certain motif, fine, but do something different with it than just the stand-alone cross on your upper arm.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Every time I see this new Ink Master spin off, Angels, I can't help but think of boardies saying "she's ruined" re: women and tattoos. I have to say, I would like to see her without the neck tattoo.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Nieghorn wrote:Every time I see this new Ink Master spin off, Angels, I can't help but think of boardies saying "she's ruined" re: women and tattoos. I have to say, I would like to see her without the neck tattoo.
I don't know...kinda like it
Sards

Post by Sards »

usermame wrote:
Sards wrote:Check his profile
Seems more precise in his detail.
He certainly gets ink into your skin....
I think I will try him...been pondering over this
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Chris Nunez and Oliver Peck criticise celeb tats ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzlGB3eOjlU
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Nieghorn wrote:We were talking about 'watercolour' a while back and I finally saw one that I liked. Given that she's sweeping her hair from the water, I like the dripping / out of the lines aspect, and the colour actually looks washed out.

Sasha Unisex is still the best at it IMO, although it does help that she's an absolute babe.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

She does very cool work ... but just reading up on this style ...
I've seen the degeneration of these types of tattoos first hand, having worked at a tattoo shop when the trend began. The artists I worked with used to deny those kind of jobs on a daily basis, in fear of having their name attached to a tattoo that would look terrible in a matter of years. These types of tattoos just don't age well, and the reason is science.

There are certain fundamentals necessary in tattooing in order to create not only a nice tattoo, but a quality tattoo. A tattoo built to stand the test of time. Black outlining is fundamental number one.

Black ink is carbon based, while all color inks have a base of pigment. When carbon-based ink is applied into the skin as an outline it becomes hard, and creates a dam that keeps pigment from spreading further into the skin. The abstract and watercolor tattoos done nowadays typically lack proper outlines, and without them the pigment tends to bleed, as well as lose its crispness and vibrance, when healed. This means that the once beautiful watercolor butterfly will become a large blob of indiscernible color in just a few months time.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

LARGE
The Native

Post by The Native »

Another addition to the list of "stupid tattoo ideas" - http://thechive.com/2017/11/06/woman-cl ... -5-photos/
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

The Native wrote:Another addition to the list of "stupid tattoo ideas" - http://thechive.com/2017/11/06/woman-cl ... -5-photos/
fools and their money or something like that
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

some boobs. would, tatoo or not.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Not my cup of tea, but it's an interesting mix. Some splashes of red and it'd be Trash Polka (if this isn't already)

Sards

Post by Sards »

Stunning.......

The overall composition draws you into the detail
kovana

Post by kovana »

Ok.. Just wanted to add that the word Tattoo is one of the few Polynesian words borrowed into the English language since supposedly the sailors saw the tattoos on the Polynesians back in early contact years.

The proto-Polynesian word is 'Tatau'.

In Samoan legends, the first time tattooing was brought over to Samoa was via Siamese twins named tilafaiga and Taema. Probably in the 1400-1500AD period. Tilafaiga and Taema were twins on the island of Olosega which is part of the Manu'a islands in American Samoa. The king of Manu'a ordered them to travel to Fiji to learn the art of tattooing and bring it back to Samoa. So they went and yadda yadda, they came and taught the people of Savaii first then travelling eastward back to Manu'a. Its a pretty LONG story, but that's the TL;DR version.

Some pics of the samoan Tatau practiced using the old tattooing methods. The Male version.

The female version

And those interested, the tongan version. This has close ties with the Samoan ones because only the 'Tui Kanokupolu' line of Chief had them due to maternal ties to Samoa. They have only just started reviving it recently. Was basically banned for over 100 years in Tonga by King Siaosi Tupou 1 (who ironically enough had the Tatau as well).

Subtle differences in length and designs can be seen. But to untrained eyes they look identical.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

I love those! I popped into a shop when I was in Apia. Didn't get one, though they had an opening and asked. It would be interesting to have one tapped in though, traditional-style ...

le chat

Post by le chat »

If you're polynesian how does the tattoo process work over there is it just go into a place and get one as normal or is it more complex?
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Love the solid colour in this!

Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Shop lighting throwing the colour off, but you can just tell how amazing it is regardless.

Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

This is a unique design.