Tattoo thread

All things Rugby
Clogs

Re: Tattoo thread

Post by Clogs »

I am not sure I have ever understood the motivation behind permanently scarring yourself with an inkish drawing of something that is kind of supposed to mean something important.
I can kind of understand (only just) members of a special forces units that mark themselves as having served in a particular unit, or even a culturally significant mark that ties in a family heritage etc, but to draw a skull and a rose and a spider and a web and a dagger and a revolver and a cross and anything else. Seriously? I don't understand, it just comes across as try hardish.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Clogs wrote:I am not sure I have ever understood the motivation behind permanently scarring yourself with an inkish drawing of something that is kind of supposed to mean something important.
I can kind of understand (only just) members of a special forces units that mark themselves as having served in a particular unit, or even a culturally significant mark that ties in a family heritage etc, but to draw a skull and a rose and a spider and a web and a dagger and a revolver and a cross and anything else. Seriously? I don't understand, it just comes across as try hardish.

Then why bother posting here, Seriously? it just comes across as try hardish
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Sards wrote:
This is what my end game is based upon , except the artist said he prefers his skulls and changed the look of the lady to make it unique

Unique as in f**ked up the eyes, the proportion, and made the nose look like it's pressed against glass? Nice one, bru. Can't wait to see the rest. :thumbup:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Sards wrote:
Clogs wrote:I am not sure I have ever understood the motivation behind permanently scarring yourself with an inkish drawing of something that is kind of supposed to mean something important.

Twats are putting absolute shite art, premanently on their fucking bodies, that you wouldn't pay jack for on canvas. Hilarious.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Complete waste of money. Right up there with Guy Fawkes night.
slick

Post by slick »

Sards wrote:

Did you have others before these latest ones, Sards?

Not in the least bit bothered about people wanting to do it, but they DO look shite as you get older. I have a small one on my upper arm.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Whilst I would never have a tattoo, and question the quality of modern tattoo art (as is often seen displayed) I do not think I (or anybody else) have the right to tell a grown man who pays his way in life what to do with his money and body, as longs as his actions do not hurt/harm other people.

Society accepted tattoos many many years ago - we can, too.
Sards

Post by Sards »

mr bungle wrote:
Sards wrote:
This is what my end game is based upon , except the artist said he prefers his skulls and changed the look of the lady to make it unique

Unique as in f**ked up the eyes, the proportion, and made the nose look like it's pressed against glass? Nice one, bru. Can't wait to see the rest. :thumbup:
The nose does bother me too...he will sort it out at the next sitting and is aware...very happy with the rest as well as the orange eyes as apposed to dark eyes...matches the wolf's eyes...the straight line at the chin also bothers me but when the snake comes around it will fall in place.....so I am told.

when I was sitting a friend of his walked in and was talking about the artists daughter who was lost to a very tragic accident 3 months prior.......after she left the artist went into a very sombre mood and I asked to cancel but he insisted on continuing...
Last edited by Sards on Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sards

Post by Sards »

mr bungle wrote:
Sards wrote:

Twats are putting absolute shite art, premanently on their fucking bodies, that you wouldn't pay jack for on canvas. Hilarious.
Don't even pretend to understand....they are not cheap and if you have a great artist its pleasing to enjoy every day wherever you are.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Wilson's Toffee wrote: a grown man who pays his way in life what to do with his money and body
Here is the UK, I bet a large percentage of the weekly Benefits money paid to workshy oiks goes on tattoos. :thumbdown:
Wilson's Toffee

Sards wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Sards wrote:

The nose does bother me too...he will sort it out at the next sitting and is aware...very happy with the rest as well as the orange eyes as apposed to dark eyes...matches the wolf's eyes...the straight line at the chin also bothers me but when the snake comes around it will fall in place.....so I am told.

These tattoos must carry the cost of a decent boat, eh, Sards ?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Sards wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Sards wrote:

Don't even pretend to understand....they are not cheap and if you have a great artist its pleasing to enjoy every day wherever you are.
Keep looking.
Nui.

Post by Nui. »

Sards wrote:
Nui. wrote:
Sards wrote:
naki wrote:Oh my fvck.

Tell me that's not really you, Sards.

Please.
Only the start of it....the foundation.
Skulls to come off the heads of the wolf and vampire scheduled for October....3 month waiting list. Snake wrapped around the blade.

Yeah thats mine
No offense Snork, but I just keep seeing this scene from Cemetery Junction whenever I see a vampire tattoo......

Thats poor..

Yeah, it's supposed to look shit to set the vibe of the scene but as I say..... vampires just get me now.
Good on you though, your opinion is the only one that matters and as long as you genuinely love what you have on you then that's all that matters.
That's some ambitious work.
Sards

Post by Sards »

slick wrote:
Sards wrote:

Did you have others before these latest ones, Sards?

Not in the least bit bothered about people wanting to do it, but they DO look shite as you get older. I have a small one on my upper arm.
I am working upwards to join up with another upper arm tattoo
The Native

Post by The Native »

I never understood the "A tattoo will look terrible when your old."

Who the fudge looks good when they're old anyway?
Sards

Post by Sards »

Sandstorm wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote: a grown man who pays his way in life what to do with his money and body
Here is the UK, I bet a large percentage of the weekly Benefits money paid to workshy oiks goes on tattoos. :thumbdown:

:lol:

what a generalisation.....

Listen...if its not for you well then let it be....
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

The Native wrote:I never understood the "A tattoo will look terrible when your old."

I never understand tattoos on your back/arse. You can't see them. :?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

You've started making a bit of money lately and are looking for things to spend your money on. As a 50-something bloke, tattoos for you and the wife are pretty lame. A bit of charity would go a lot further in SA.....
Nui.

Post by Nui. »

Sandstorm wrote:
The Native wrote:I never understood the "A tattoo will look terrible when your old."

You can actually, quite easily.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Sandstorm wrote:

:thumbup:

Its difficult if you work in an enviroment which is corporate.
If like me you can go to work in a suit today ( seriously... :uhoh: ) or baggies and slops then its a different matter.
Most chefs I meet have awesome tattoos.
C69

Post by C69 »

Do you have any piercings Sards?
Wilson's Toffee

Sandstorm wrote:
You've started making a bit of money lately and are looking for things to spend your money on. As a 50-something bloke, tattoos for you and the wife are pretty lame. A bit of charity would go a lot further in SA.....

You sound so ... green with envy.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

You sound so ... green with envy.
Not really. I'm younger than Sards :P
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

I think the fact they look terrible when you're young is just as important tbf.
Sards

Post by Sards »

Sandstorm wrote:
Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

You think its about money.... :lol:
No amount of money would make someone that doesnt want a tattoo put one on his body. I have been mulling over this design for 4 years now.
I decided to mirror it so I could see the wolfs head .
Had consultations with the artist and waited 3 months for the sitting...

Its not some random shit that comes in your head and you walk into a studio and get it done

as to charity....why the fuc k would you discuss it
assfly

Post by assfly »

Sandstorm wrote:
I noticed it when I was back there earlier this year. Maybe it's just Essex, but generally those who didn't have tattoos seemed to be the vast minority
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

No amount of money would make someone that doesnt want a tattoo put one on his body. I have been mulling over this design for 4 years now.

Its not some random shit that comes in your head and you walk into a studio and get it done

I'm assuming "Caleb Connor" is the name of your favourite Twilight character?
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

assfly wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
I noticed it when I was back there earlier this year. Maybe it's just Essex, but generally those who didn't have tattoos seemed to be the vast minority
I don't know anyone between 18 & 30 in England without a tattoo. I have 2 mates in our 40s (both Saffers) and the three of us are the only ones without one. It's a bigger industry than coffee!
Zeitgeist

Post by Zeitgeist »

Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Sards wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:

Would you hang that on your wall?
assfly

Post by assfly »

Sandstorm wrote:I don't know anyone between 18 & 30 in England without a tattoo. I have 2 mates in our 40s (both Saffers) and the three of us are the only ones without one. It's a bigger industry than coffee!
I saw this one woman at the pub and it looked like they handed the ink gun to her kid and they scribbled "mummy" on her inner thigh x(

Mind you, by the looks of her it was a high traffic area
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Why?

I don't even get why tattoos have to mean something. In fact, I think on many occassions it's even more try-hardish to try and think up some "important" reason than just "to look cool". I can totally understand a person getting a tattoo because they think it just looks damn sweet. Great. Good reason. But save me this, "it's so important to me", "it's a useful reminder". You know what I do when there's something that's "so important to me"? I remember it.

That all said, getting a tattoo to mark a genuinely important occasion in one's life is also legit in my books. All the power to them. Human beings have been doing exactly that in some form or another since we crawled out of the primordial slime. Ergo tattooing is apparently a very human and very natural thing to do.

FWIW, I have zero tattoos and zero plans to get one. But I have toyed with the idea. And if I did get one, I would be happy to tell people, "because I think it looks cool-as-fudge". Edit: in fact, the main reason I don't is because it's so damn popular these days. It almost looks more cool and original not to have one.
Wilson's Toffee

assfly wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:I don't know anyone between 18 & 30 in England without a tattoo. I have 2 mates in our 40s (both Saffers) and the three of us are the only ones without one. It's a bigger industry than coffee!
I saw this one woman at the pub and it looked like they handed the ink gun to her kid and they scribbled "mummy" on her inner thigh x(

How did you get to inspect a strange women's inner thigh ?
Wilson's Toffee

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Why?

I don't even get why tattoos have to mean something. In fact, I think on many occassions it's even more try-hardish to try and think up some "important" reason than just "to look cool". I can totally understand a person getting a tattoo because they think it just looks damn sweet. Great. Good reason. But save me this, "it's so important to me", "it's a useful reminder". You know what I do when there's something that's "so important to me"? I remember it.

That all said, getting a tattoo to mark a genuinely important occasion in one's life is also legit in my books. All the power to them. Human beings have been doing exactly that in some form or another since we crawled out of the primordial slime. Ergo tattooing is apparently a very human and very natural thing to do.

FWIW, I have zero tattoos and zero plans to get one. But I have toyed with the idea. And if I did get one, I would be happy to tell people, "because I think it looks cool-as-fudge". Edit: in fact, the main reason I don't is because it's so damn popular these days. It almost looks more cool and original not to have one.

Conservatism is the new modern outlook on life.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
assfly wrote:

She was sat with her legs open. It was a summers day in Essex, I think that's their natural posture.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
assfly wrote:

It's England. She probably wore a napkin as a skirt.
Mog The Almighty

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Why?

It was tongue-in-cheek. My point was that there's some argument that it's more "conservative" - or at-least conformist - to get one. In fact, it's probably actually untrue outside some isolated sub-cultures or social groups. But it definitely sometimes seems that way.

If I found something I thought was super bad-ass I'd get it for sure. Just haven't found anything (and not even looking).
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

Matt Jordan of ShipShape Tattoo in Auckland. That Dali piece is on my left calf.

Here's a link to pics of his and others out of that shop. https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=matt+ ... 31&bih=898

Truly staggering quality IMO.
Mog The Almighty

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
Why?

It was tongue-in-cheek. My point was that there's some argument that it's more "conservative" - or at-least conformist - to get one. In fact, it's probably actually untrue outside some isolated sub-cultures or social groups. But it definitely sometimes seems that way.

If I found something I thought was super bad-ass I'd get it for sure. Just haven't found anything (and not even looking).
Just found one.

I'm going to get that Dali piece above on my left calf. Thanks for the photo.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

My mates got me a €50 voucher for my 30th to get my first one and I'm kinda in a few minds on what to get. All would be on inside bicep.

a) outline of Africa
b) Newgrange Triskelion (on the left of the rock below):

or

c) Probably the most difficult as it's kind of abstract, but what's thought to be the first (and only) depiction of a human face in prehistoric Irish rock art, which is found at Fourknocks passage tomb in Dublin, which I've visited a few times:

The Native

Post by The Native »

I hope your spending more than €50 on the tattoo.