Tattoo thread

All things Rugby
Bullettyme

Re: Tattoo thread

Post by Bullettyme »

The Native wrote:I hope your spending more than €50 on the tattoo.
Well yes, the voucher is just some incentive.
Sards

Post by Sards »

SilverGrin wrote:Image

Matt Jordan of ShipShape Tattoo in Auckland. That Dali piece is on my left calf.

Here's a link to pics of his and others out of that shop. https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=matt+ ... 31&bih=898

Truly staggering quality IMO.
Man thats quality.... :thumbup:
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

naki wrote:Oh my fvck.

Tell me that's not really you, Sards.

Please.
They are beyond eyesores. Jaysus, how does a consenting adult pay a man to inscribe those on him?
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Sards wrote:
naki wrote:Oh my fvck.

Tell me that's not really you, Sards.

Please.
Only the start of it....the foundation.
Skulls to come off the heads of the wolf and vampire scheduled for October....3 month waiting list. Snake wrapped around the blade.

Yeah thats mine
Really like your cardigan....../Zappa
Lobby

Post by Lobby »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
Clogs wrote:I am not sure I have ever understood the motivation behind permanently scarring yourself with an inkish drawing of something that is kind of supposed to mean something important.
I can kind of understand (only just) members of a special forces units that mark themselves as having served in a particular unit, or even a culturally significant mark that ties in a family heritage etc, but to draw a skull and a rose and a spider and a web and a dagger and a revolver and a cross and anything else. Seriously? I don't understand, it just comes across as try hardish.
Why?

I don't even get why tattoos have to mean something. In fact, I think on many occassions it's even more try-hardish to try and think up some "important" reason than just "to look cool". I can totally understand a person getting a tattoo because they think it just looks damn sweet. Great. Good reason. But save me this, "it's so important to me", "it's a useful reminder". You know what I do when there's something that's "so important to me"? I remember it.

That all said, getting a tattoo to mark a genuinely important occasion in one's life is also legit in my books. All the power to them. Human beings have been doing exactly that in some form or another since we crawled out of the primordial slime. Ergo tattooing is apparently a very human and very natural thing to do.

FWIW, I have zero tattoos and zero plans to get one. But I have toyed with the idea. And if I did get one, I would be happy to tell people, "because I think it looks cool-as-fudge". Edit: in fact, the main reason I don't is because it's so damn popular these days. It almost looks more cool and original not to have one.
If you just want to look cool, try this one

globus

Post by globus »

I really do not like them, at all. But they are harmless and if people want to muck up their appearance in later years, it's up to them.

The lady who delivers manure to the house elsewhere is horribly disfigured, she wished she had never gone down that route.

Our local petrol attendant has them all over the place.

He still lives with his mother, so if you want to find a nice girl, this is not a good magnetic idea.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

globus wrote:I really do not like them, at all. But they are harmless and if people want to muck up their appearance in later years, it's up to them.

The lady who delivers manure to the house elsewhere is horribly disfigured, she wished she had never gone down that route.

He still lives with his mother, so if you want to find a nice girl, this is not a good magnetic idea.
We're not living in 1915 anymore globby. These guys aren't sailors with a blurry blotch that used to be a mermaid or scribbled amateur prison tattoos on their arm. Some tattoos are true art and absolutely amazing. And some girls love them.
globus

Post by globus »

Mog The Almighty wrote:
globus wrote:I really do not like them, at all. But they are harmless and if people want to muck up their appearance in later years, it's up to them.

We're not living in 1915 anymore globby. These guys aren't sailors with a blurry blotch that used to be a mermaid or scribbled amateur prison tattoos on their arm. Some tattoos are true art and absolutely amazing. And some girls love them.
Accepted. My stepson is in the art business. Just not my cup of tea and as you get older, they look ridiculous.

Forward planning is not in this for the many who wish to decide to adorn themselves by trying to be some work of art. I have a painting of a tattooed woman. She is beautiful, the tattoo just ruins it.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

assfly wrote:
She was sat with her legs open. It was a summers day in Essex, I think that's their natural posture.
x(
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Clogs wrote:I am not sure I have ever understood the motivation behind permanently scarring yourself with an inkish drawing of something that is kind of supposed to mean something important.
I can kind of understand (only just) members of a special forces units that mark themselves as having served in a particular unit, or even a culturally significant mark that ties in a family heritage etc, but to draw a skull and a rose and a spider and a web and a dagger and a revolver and a cross and anything else. Seriously? I don't understand, it just comes across as try hardish.
Why only SF?
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Sards have all the women he wants, and more, they pay him a stud fee to impregnate the schools moms in Bishop Lavis.

Quality genes, y'see.
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

globus wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:

Accepted. My stepson is in the art business. Just not my cup of tea and as you get older, they look ridiculous.

Forward planning is not in this for the many who wish to decide to adorn themselves by trying to be some work of art. I have a painting of a tattooed woman. She is beautiful, the tattoo just ruins it.
Please find another thread to be sanctimonious in. This is a tattoo thread and your opinions mean very little here.
The Native

Post by The Native »

You'd think the older you got, the less you'd care about things like this. And who or has not got them.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Sards wrote:
SilverGrin wrote:Image

Matt Jordan of ShipShape Tattoo in Auckland. That Dali piece is on my left calf.

Here's a link to pics of his and others out of that shop. https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=matt+ ... 31&bih=898

Truly staggering quality IMO.
Man thats quality.... :thumbup:

If you want to see photo realism, check out Niki Norberg ...

Last edited by Nieghorn on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Look, Sards started the thread to let everyone know he's getting a tattoo yeah, he's getting ink done and I don't want to p*ss on his parade or get into arguments about having them or what age is appropriate or any of it...

you want it, you do it. As for artwork, it's interesting to see where some are taking tattooing these days. You may be surprised.

Credit to Steve Butcher Tattooist. Check him out if you're interested...

http://www.inkedmag.com/artists/steve-butcher/
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Speaking of different styles, and while not something I'd get, a couple I'm friends with recently got tattoos that look like watercolour paintings ... (not this one, but I like the washed colours and dripping effect)

Trash Polka tends to be solid black, random imagery with washes of red.

... they can be quite stark and chaotic as well. Probably won't surprise anyone to know that it has a German / art school origin. :)

Homer

Post by Homer »

Sandstorm wrote:
assfly wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote: a grown man who pays his way in life what to do with his money and body
Here is the UK, I bet a large percentage of the weekly Benefits money paid to workshy oiks goes on tattoos. :thumbdown:
I noticed it when I was back there earlier this year. Maybe it's just Essex, but generally those who didn't have tattoos seemed to be the vast minority
I don't know anyone between 18 & 30 in England without a tattoo. I have 2 mates in our 40s (both Saffers) and the three of us are the only ones without one. It's a bigger industry than coffee!
You're right that tattoos are pretty popular in the UK. That said, I know plenty of people in the 18-30 range who don't have tattoos.

Was on a Neilson holiday this summer (OK, it is a certain demographic) and only saw 1 person with tattoos in the 2 weeks.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Dumbledore wrote:
:lol:
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

I blame Sasha Unisex for all the watercolours around, so many of them are complete trash
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Dumbledore wrote:I blame Sasha Unisex for all the watercolours around, so many of them are complete trash
Completely agree. I really don't 'love' the one I posted and it took me a lot of searching through rubbish to find one that I didn't hate ... some are wash the colours outside of a stencil, others just look like pastel colouring, and some that do kind of look like an actual watercolour painting are just rough. I suppose, however, you'd run a big risk of a tattoo looking unfinished or even disappearing after a while if you didn't do an outline and only popped in 'washed-out' colour?
Openside

Post by Openside »

Jensrsa wrote:These guys are real artists

Why would anyone want a picture of a function at Edinburgh castle tattooed on them??😳
They wouldn't do the fireworks justice...
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Nieghorn wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:I blame Sasha Unisex for all the watercolours around, so many of them are complete trash
Completely agree. I really don't 'love' the one I posted and it took me a lot of searching through rubbish to find one that I didn't hate ... some are wash the colours outside of a stencil, others just look like pastel colouring, and some that do kind of look like an actual watercolour painting are just rough. I suppose, however, you'd run a big risk of a tattoo looking unfinished or even disappearing after a while if you didn't do an outline and only popped in 'washed-out' colour?
She does some magic in fairness, although I would be interested to see how they last. Surely over time they're going to blur and fade and the whole thing is going to get very, very, messy.

They just look very scrubby very quickly. Not my jam.
xbgo1

Post by xbgo1 »

Sards wrote:
naki wrote:
People with those tattoos should probably more concerned with finding the moron who inked bad 80s metal album cover art on their body while they were sleeping.

Scrawling Richie McCaw's breakdown turnover percentages from 2006 to 2008 on your face would have more dignity.
You are not going to change my mind or anyone else's mind that enjoys a bit of ink on their body.

a month old ...what do you think about my latest.
In full display...
A True Blood fan ?
Sards

Post by Sards »

Nieghorn wrote:Speaking of different styles, and while not something I'd get, a couple I'm friends with recently got tattoos that look like watercolour paintings ... (not this one, but I like the washed colours and dripping effect)

Trash Polka tends to be solid black, random imagery with washes of red.

... they can be quite stark and chaotic as well. Probably won't surprise anyone to know that it has a German / art school origin. :)

Those skulls are amazing
pieman99

Post by pieman99 »

I had a pectoral tattoo a few decades ago when it was unusual to have one, now it almost seems more unusual not to have one. Anyway, I plan on getting rid.

Anyone have experience of tattoo removal in the uk?
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

guy smiley wrote:Look, Sards started the thread to let everyone know he's getting a tattoo yeah, he's getting ink done and I don't want to p*ss on his parade or get into arguments about having them or what age is appropriate or any of it...

you want it, you do it. As for artwork, it's interesting to see where some are taking tattooing these days. You may be surprised.

Credit to Steve Butcher Tattooist. Check him out if you're interested...

http://www.inkedmag.com/artists/steve-butcher/
Steve Butcher guest tattoos out of Jordan's shop. All of them are exceptional tattooists.
usermame

Post by usermame »

I know anyone can have whatever they want, but that selection of Sards' makes my eyes hurt.
Sards

Post by Sards »

usermame wrote:I know anyone can have whatever they want, but that selection of Sards' makes my eyes hurt.
Aye. It's the foundation. It will develop.
le chat

Post by le chat »

It would be ace being maori so you can get one of those authentic tribal ones
The Native

Post by The Native »

le chat wrote:It would be ace being maori so you can get one of those authentic tribal ones
Not really. A lot of Maori get a traditional ta moko simply because they think that because they're Maori, they should get one. Many don't understand the meaning or tradition behind it.
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

mr bungle wrote:
Sards wrote:

Then why bother posting here, Seriously? it just comes across as try hardish
Twats are putting absolute shite art, premanently on their fucking bodies, that you wouldn't pay jack for on canvas. Hilarious.
Yeah, too many "great pieces" remind me of panel van art of the 70s

Benthos

Post by Benthos »

Got a dinky little star shaped number on my right shoulder in 1987, done with a fishbone, some crushed sea shell and a local leaf which translates roughly as either 'mustard' or 'watch this soppy white twat buy into this', after my first pig kill with the Paiewa tribe in Papua New Guinea. It was supposed to be over my face but I bottled explaining that one to my old dear - and Durham Uni - when I returned; hence the demure alternative. At least I hit Freshers' Week with yer bona fide tribal tattoo. The rest, as they say, is blistery...

...and now every plum on the planet's got a fucker! Mine might be a rare authentic one, and not actually translate into English as 'cunt of a parrot', but next to those resplendent, faux-Polynesian jobbies, it just looks like a crappy prison tattoo of a ringpiece, about 3 inches below where it used to be . Like some half-arsed attempt to confuse predatory manshamers roaming the half-light of a shower block into jabbing one into the upper arm rather than anywhere useful and delicate.

My mate Hannah wanted something a bit more prosaic when she offed her squealer, positioned somewhere completely out of view. I saw her again after her first year at uni, bemoaning the challenge of keeping a boyfriend. Apparently, with every new beau, it was only a matter of time before he exclaimed, with a mixture of fear, revulsion and disappointment (and a mouthful of spider's legs)

"Who the fuck is 'P.N.G.', and what the fuck did he do down here in '87 that warranted the blue plaque??"
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Another of Steve Butcher's works.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

Steve does a lot more than just Rugby Players though.
SilverGrin

Post by SilverGrin »

Benthos wrote:Got a dinky little star shaped number on my right shoulder in 1987, done with a fishbone, some crushed sea shell and a local leaf which translates roughly as either 'mustard' or 'watch this soppy white twat buy into this', after my first pig kill with the Paiewa tribe in Papua New Guinea. It was supposed to be over my face but I bottled explaining that one to my old dear - and Durham Uni - when I returned; hence the demure alternative. At least I hit Freshers' Week with yer bona fide tribal tattoo. The rest, as they say, is blistery...

...and now every plum on the planet's got a fucker! Mine might be a rare authentic one, and not actually translate into English as 'cunt of a parrot', but next to those resplendent, faux-Polynesian jobbies, it just looks like a crappy prison tattoo of a ringpiece, about 3 inches below where it used to be . Like some half-arsed attempt to confuse predatory manshamers roaming the half-light of a shower block into jabbing one into the upper arm rather than anywhere useful and delicate.

My mate Hannah wanted something a bit more prosaic when she offed her squealer, positioned somewhere completely out of view. I saw her again after her first year at uni, bemoaning the challenge of keeping a boyfriend. Apparently, with every new beau, it was only a matter of time before he exclaimed, with a mixture of fear, revulsion and disappointment (and a mouthful of spider's legs)

"Who the fuck is 'P.N.G.', and what the fuck did he do down here in '87 that warranted the blue plaque??"
That reminds me that a friend of mine was due to marry and she knew her fiance loved BB King, so she got a beautifully calligrafed B on each bum cheek. On the wedding night she bent over to show him and he just asked 'who the fuck is Bob'?
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

This is a mate of mine in the NZ Navy, who went all the way to the Chief of Navy to get permission for this full Ta Moko. He's certainly well deserving of the mana that goes along with it!
fraz

Post by fraz »

Sards wrote:
naki wrote:
People with those tattoos should probably more concerned with finding the moron who inked bad 80s metal album cover art on their body while they were sleeping.

Scrawling Richie McCaw's breakdown turnover percentages from 2006 to 2008 on your face would have more dignity.
You are not going to change my mind or anyone else's mind that enjoys a bit of ink on their body.

a month old ...what do you think about my latest.
In full display...
:lol: :lol: :lol: holy shit!
fraz

Post by fraz »

capt hurricane wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: *wheeze*

Oh god this thread is fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

fraz wrote:
capt hurricane wrote:Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: *wheeze*

Oh god this thread is fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Besides the first up thought of why? At least you'd hope it looked like him. Looks like a fat guy I know who kinda looks like Richie.