Chat Forum
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 10:05 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:14 pm
Posts: 57
He has his brain fart moments but he's not unintelligent. People like Sam Harris and Eric Weinstein would not be regular guests if he were.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 760
eldanielfire wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
I’ve listened to a bit of him before.... can’t really figure him out. He doesn’t really seem to have much of an opinion but rather just mirrors his guests opinion after a while, certainly in any episodes i’ve watched. Anyway most of his stuff is interesting, imo.


Rogan is a fairly average guy with a few interests in politics, sport, culture, Science and society. He's a soft leftie and fairly libertarian who lieks to engage with different sorts of people, those both like him and different to him. He gets people in who can usually educate him. What makes it work is Rogan's every man. It's why the podcast works, he just allows his guest to speak and keep speaking for the most part.


It's probably just me, I can be really petty about things, but the way he handled UFC 249, insisting on doing in ring interviews and shaking the fighters hands after the fights(even after one hesitated and Rogan said "I don't care" and shook his hand anyway) really pissed me off. In this current situation, especially in the USA, and being one of the first sports to be broadcast, he could have been setting an example but obviously didn't care. I see he has threatened, like his buddy Musk, to leave California due to the restrictions they've had during coronavirus. Seems like a dick move to me. I've lost a lot of respect for him. Obviously no great loss to him, he wouldn't give a shit but he lost a listener that day.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Posts: 38872
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns
Who the feck is he?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28328
Location: SOB>Todd
Bimboc69 wrote:
Who the feck is he?

A trumpy meathead who has a podcast.
He's generally easy going and gets good guests, so it's bland easy listening for most people.
Spotify saw fit to give him 100 mil.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13959
Couch wrote:
Rogan interviews are too casual for me, they end up rambling over bullshit for a good 15 minutes in between time just to make that hour into 2 1/2 hours. He rarely asks any hard questions, he's way too chumy with some and sometimes his confirmation bias gets in the way of a good interview.


Agreed. I wish Sonia McLaughlin would start a podcast.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
Bimboc69 wrote:
Who the feck is he?


World's biggest Podcaster I think. Basically talks to Science people, political experts or politicians, sports people for a few hours a time. He'll indulge in some famous pop culture people and conspiracy theorists as well.

He's genuinely done some excellent episodes as he has a knack for allowing long form interviews. The media have caught on in the last few years that he's got a bigger platform then most of them given YouTube views alone, let alone all the podcast streams/downloads from other sources. Publicists have as well.

I'd recommend the ones with:

Edward Snowden
Any with Dr. Rhonda Patrick (he's done a few)
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Graham Hancock
Jocko Willink
Brian Greene
Matthew Walker
Joey Diaz (A lot of laughs in this one, especially the talk on the Cuban Superman)
Megan Phelps-Roper (former member of the Wesnoough Baptist Church)
Leah Remini (formerly in the Scientology cult)
Ron Miscavige (father of the head of Scientology, or one of the heads)
Kevin Hart
Jordan Peterson and Bret Weinstein
Ben Greenfield
Steven Pinker
Naval Ravikant
Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock


Last edited by eldanielfire on Wed May 20, 2020 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13959
Who was that ex Navy seal and current ultra runner - David something or other I think. That was gripping watching/listening. The best thing about Rogan is that he'll let his guests speak for a long time uninterrupted. The worst thing is that he sometimes interrupts them too much.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
fatcat wrote:
Who was that ex Navy seal and current ultra runner - David something or other I think. That was gripping watching/listening. The best thing about Rogan is that he'll let his guests speak for a long time uninterrupted. The worst thing is that he sometimes interrupts them too much.


Yeah I know which one you mean. Wasn't it the guy who also ste the WR for most pull-ups as well?

The best thing about the Rogan Podcast is all the interesting people you never heard of who talk abotu genuinely interesting and brilliant lives..


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13959
That's the one - David Goggins... I just read his Wiki again. Quite an amazing bloke.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 10935
Location: Stockholm
eldanielfire wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:
Who the feck is he?


World's biggest Podcaster I think. Basically talks to Science people, political experts or politicians, sports people for a few hours a time. He'll indulge in some famous pop culture people and conspiracy theorists as well.

He's genuinely done some excellent episodes as he has a knack for allowing long form interviews. The media have caught on in the last few years that he's got a bigger platform then most of them given YouTube views alone, let alone all the podcast streams/downloads from other sources. Publicists have as well.

I'd recommend the ones with:

Edward Snowden
Any with Dr. Rhonda Patrick (he's done a few)
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Graham Hancock
Jocko Willink
Brian Greene
Matthew Walker
Joey Diaz (A lot of laughs in this one, especially the talk on the Cuban Superman)
Megan Phelps-Roper (former member of the Wesnoough Baptist Church)
Leah Remini (formerly in the Scientology cult)
Ron Miscavige (father of the head of Scientology, or one of the heads)
Kevin Hart
Jordan Peterson and Bret Weinstein
Ben Greenfield
Steven Pinker
Naval Ravikant
Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock


Horses for courses I guess. I like some of those and avoid others. Dr. Rhonda Patrick, despite her qualifications, is a walking bro-science-techno-babble-machine-gun. No wonder Joe loves her so much. I can't listen to it, it's verbal and health-advice diaoreah.

Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock are interesting in an amusing way if you don't take them seriously. Scientifically they're only a rung or two above the Bob Lazar podcast, which was unadulterated bullshit and pseudo-scientific babble. I was honestly listening to it laughing waiting for Joe to nail him to the wall, and then he went, "I believe you man" ... damn I lost a LOT of respect for Joe that day. How could anyone believe that utter dribble? It's straight out of a badly conceived 1950's UFO comic book.

The last Neil De Grasse Tyson one was simply not listenable. I turned it off after about 15 minutes. He's been good in the past, but he wouldn't stop talking and interrupting Joe, it was cringe-worthy, and you could feel Joe wanted to put his head through the wall the whole time. I doubt he'll be back for a very long time, if ever.

I didn't find the Ed Snowden one interesting at all, although there was nothing wrong with it.

The others you list are good.

Here's a couple more:

Sam Harris
Brian Cox
Paul Stamets
Michael Shermer
Daryl Davis (<--- possibly the greatest of all time)


Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed May 20, 2020 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 5455
Location: Front and centre.
Can also recommend the Henry Rollins and David Lee Roth podcasts- both highly engaging.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Posts: 10935
Location: Stockholm
Floppykid wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:
Who the feck is he?

A trumpy meathead who has a podcast.
He's generally easy going and gets good guests, so it's bland easy listening for most people.
Spotify saw fit to give him 100 mil.

Well he's definitely not, "trumpy". Unless you mean he thinks Trump is hilarious. He mentioned a few times the people he planned to vote for, and Bernie Sanders seemed to be in prime spot to get the Rogan vote. Followed by Tulsi Gabbard. Either would have been good and neither is Trumpy.


Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Wed May 20, 2020 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 9:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:22 pm
Posts: 634
fatcat wrote:
That's the one - David Goggins... I just read his Wiki again. Quite an amazing bloke.


The Ross Edgley and Ash Dykes episodes dig into that unfathomably extreme mental endurance thing as well. I started cramping up just listening to them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
Mog The Almighty wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:
Who the feck is he?


World's biggest Podcaster I think. Basically talks to Science people, political experts or politicians, sports people for a few hours a time. He'll indulge in some famous pop culture people and conspiracy theorists as well.

He's genuinely done some excellent episodes as he has a knack for allowing long form interviews. The media have caught on in the last few years that he's got a bigger platform then most of them given YouTube views alone, let alone all the podcast streams/downloads from other sources. Publicists have as well.

I'd recommend the ones with:

Edward Snowden
Any with Dr. Rhonda Patrick (he's done a few)
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Graham Hancock
Jocko Willink
Brian Greene
Matthew Walker
Joey Diaz (A lot of laughs in this one, especially the talk on the Cuban Superman)
Megan Phelps-Roper (former member of the Wesnoough Baptist Church)
Leah Remini (formerly in the Scientology cult)
Ron Miscavige (father of the head of Scientology, or one of the heads)
Kevin Hart
Jordan Peterson and Bret Weinstein
Ben Greenfield
Steven Pinker
Naval Ravikant
Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock


Horses for courses I guess. I like some of those and avoid others. Dr. Rhonda Patrick, despite her qualifications, is a walking bro-science-techno-babble-machine-gun. No wonder Joe loves her so much. I can't listen to it, it's verbal and health-advice diaoreah.

Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock are interesting in an amusing way if you don't take them seriously. Scientifically they're only a rung or two above the Bob Lazar podcast, which was unadulterated bullshit and pseudo-scientific babble. I was honestly listening to it laughing waiting for Joe to nail him to the wall, and then he went, "I believe you man" ... damn I lost a LOT of respect for Joe that day. How could anyone believe that utter dribble? It's straight out of a badly conceived 1950's UFO comic book.

The last Neil De Grasse Tyson one was simply not listenable. I turned it off after about 15 minutes. He's been good in the past, but he wouldn't stop talking and interrupting Joe, it was cringe-worthy, and you could feel Joe wanted to put his head through the wall the whole time. I doubt he'll be back for a very long time, if ever.

I didn't

find the Ed Snowden one interesting at all, although there was nothing wrong with it.


I'm not sure you can come to those conclusions. De grass Tyson one was AMAZING, just him yapping about about a subject he loves and how out there some concepts actually are. You don't seem to like a lot of the Science ones, those are Rogan's best IMO, they are like two mates having an amazing discussion about Science and discoveries.

In fact, if I have one criticism of the Podcast, it's not quite getting as much unknown but interesting experts in the past 6 months and more well know political figures are in there. I think because the attention the Podcast has got has exploded, people want to be on it for promotion now.

Quote:

The others you list are good.

Here's a couple more:

Sam Harris
Brian Cox
Paul Stamets
Michael Shermer
Daryl Davis (<--- possibly the greatest of all time)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
Floppykid wrote:
Bimboc69 wrote:
Who the feck is he?

A trumpy meathead who has a podcast.
He's generally easy going and gets good guests, so it's bland easy listening for most people.
Spotify saw fit to give him 100 mil.


Trumpy? The dope smoking, Science hobbiest, fighting and fitness guy whose all in on the candidates on the far left of the Democratic party?

Also bland? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think you've listened much, if at all.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 11946
He's got Tony Hawk on tonight. :o :D

What a legend he is.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 11:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
Wendigo7 wrote:
He's got Tony Hawk on tonight. :o :D

What a legend he is.



Should be good. Heard they just re-mastered his games for the PS4 or PS5 (I can't remember).

A list of upcoming guests:

https://jrelibrary.com/upcoming-guests/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 3:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 2700
eldanielfire wrote:
I'm not sure you can come to those conclusions. De grass Tyson one was AMAZING, just him yapping about about a subject he loves and how out there some concepts actually are. You don't seem to like a lot of the Science ones, those are Rogan's best IMO, they are like two mates having an amazing discussion about Science and discoveries.

In fact, if I have one criticism of the Podcast, it's not quite getting as much unknown but interesting experts in the past 6 months and more well know political figures are in there. I think because the attention the Podcast has got has exploded, people want to be on it for promotion now.


I agree with Mog, deGrasse Tyson came across as a complete twat in his last one. His theory about Columbus was wrong too, he just cherry picked bits of history that supported his notion and ignored vast tracts of it which didn't line up with his values.

I thought the last Musk one was bad. Rogan is too much of a fanboy and didn't question him on anything, just took it all as gospel.

Most of his podcasts are good though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
Sensible Stephen wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
I'm not sure you can come to those conclusions. De grass Tyson one was AMAZING, just him yapping about about a subject he loves and how out there some concepts actually are. You don't seem to like a lot of the Science ones, those are Rogan's best IMO, they are like two mates having an amazing discussion about Science and discoveries.

In fact, if I have one criticism of the Podcast, it's not quite getting as much unknown but interesting experts in the past 6 months and more well know political figures are in there. I think because the attention the Podcast has got has exploded, people want to be on it for promotion now.


I agree with Mog, deGrasse Tyson came across as a complete twat in his last one. His theory about Columbus was wrong too, he just cherry picked bits of history that supported his notion and ignored vast tracts of it which didn't line up with his values.

I thought the last Musk one was bad. Rogan is too much of a fanboy and didn't question him on anything, just took it all as gospel.

Most of his podcasts are good though.


I loved how Tyson came across. Who acres if he's right about everything, he's discussing something for fun, with passion like you would with a mate.

As I alluded to, I knew the 2nd Musk one would be rubbish, because the podcast is slightly pandering to media interest in the past year and he was never gonna get Musk in a smoking dope moment like last time. Fair enough as he does so many interesting ones come along anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 3441
Episode 1250. Johan hari. Ftw.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:45 am
Posts: 2700
eldanielfire wrote:

I loved how Tyson came across. Who acres if he's right about everything, he's discussing something for fun, with passion like you would with a mate.

As I alluded to, I knew the 2nd Musk one would be rubbish, because the podcast is slightly pandering to media interest in the past year and he was never gonna get Musk in a smoking dope moment like last time. Fair enough as he does so many interesting ones come along anyway.


Each to his own. I felt like DeGrasse was talking down to the audience, not like talking to a mate at all.

If he's going to be a twat like that, the least he can do is be correct.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 11:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm
Posts: 9967
Apparently the ones with Alex Jones are nuts. Listened to some clips of Shapiro on it, thought they were quite good.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 4:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1363
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Apparently the ones with Alex Jones are nuts. Listened to some clips of Shapiro on it, thought they were quite good.


If you like Ben's cynical, calculated racism and homophobia, wait until you get a load of Alex's sweatier, manlier brand.

Disgusting human beings, both of them.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Apparently the ones with Alex Jones are nuts. Listened to some clips of Shapiro on it, thought they were quite good.


If you like Ben's cynical, calculated racism and homophobia, wait until you get a load of Alex's sweatier, manlier brand.

Disgusting human beings, both of them.


What makes Shapiro racist? I've only heard that accusation from extremist nutters who would say everyone right of say Corbyn must be racist.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 924
Location: Raglan , Monmouthshire
I’ve only recently started listening to his show and I think they are hit or miss depending on the guest.
I just finished the Eddie Izzard episode which was quite good . The Ted Nugent episode was just as I expected.

He does seem to get a hard on with ex Navy Seals, who I have found pretty dull. Apart from that great for a long journey in the car


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 5:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1363
eldanielfire wrote:
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Apparently the ones with Alex Jones are nuts. Listened to some clips of Shapiro on it, thought they were quite good.


If you like Ben's cynical, calculated racism and homophobia, wait until you get a load of Alex's sweatier, manlier brand.

Disgusting human beings, both of them.


What makes Shapiro racist? I've only heard that accusation from extremist nutters who would say everyone right of say Corbyn must be racist.


He has a long history of racist comments about Arabs and blacks, including gloating over the death of Trayvon Martin. He's virulently anti-trans and homophobic.

He's a millionaire who is paid by billionaires to peddle hate in order to further their political and social agendas. He's a professional bigot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
Apparently the ones with Alex Jones are nuts. Listened to some clips of Shapiro on it, thought they were quite good.


If you like Ben's cynical, calculated racism and homophobia, wait until you get a load of Alex's sweatier, manlier brand.

Disgusting human beings, both of them.


What makes Shapiro racist? I've only heard that accusation from extremist nutters who would say everyone right of say Corbyn must be racist.


He has a long history of racist comments about Arabs and blacks, including gloating over the death of Trayvon Martin. He's virulently anti-trans and homophobic.

He's a millionaire who is paid by billionaires to peddle hate in order to further their political and social agendas. He's a professional bigot.


It sounds like you are just rehashing hard left quotes that you can mind read Sharpio. I don't agree with Shapiro in almost any way, but he does well to refute the list of allegations you put up in the link below, which sound awful like the usual "If you son't agree with us you have a phobia especially a hrd right ultra conservative". He even has a list of things he said while young but apologises for:

https://www.facebook.com/officialbensha ... 4541734646


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
paddywack wrote:
I’ve only recently started listening to his show and I think they are hit or miss depending on the guest.
I just finished the Eddie Izzard episode which was quite good . The Ted Nugent episode was just as I expected.

He does seem to get a hard on with ex Navy Seals, who I have found pretty dull. Apart from that great for a long journey in the car


I agree, there are some shows I switch off by 20 minutes. But they are frequently good and tragically there isn't really a mainstream alternative to long form chats to non-celebrities with interesting lives, science and political experts and famous people from comedy or sport.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 6:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1363
eldanielfire wrote:
It sounds like you are just rehashing hard left quotes that you can mind read Sharpio. I don't agree with Shapiro in almost any way, but he does well to refute the list of allegations you put up in the link below, which sound awful like the usual "If you son't agree with us you have a phobia especially a hrd right ultra conservative". He even has a list of things he said while young but apologises for:

https://www.facebook.com/officialbensha ... 4541734646


If you have seen Shapiro talk on the subject of trans people - recently, not some errant Tweet when he was young (but not that young) - then you'll know that he describes them as having an "extreme mental illness." He is demonstrably anti-trans, and his unlettered, if verbose, protestations to the contrary are disingenuous in the extreme.

He certainly fools a lot of people into believing he's both intelligent and relatively benign, but I would suggest that those people share either his lack of intellect, or his bigotry, or both.

I have no interest in the left-right narrative you've spuriously tacked on. A person who espouses bigotry and incites hatred can justifiably be called a bigot. He espouses bigotry, this is a fact. And as you know if you know Ben, facts don't care about your feelings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
It sounds like you are just rehashing hard left quotes that you can mind read Sharpio. I don't agree with Shapiro in almost any way, but he does well to refute the list of allegations you put up in the link below, which sound awful like the usual "If you son't agree with us you have a phobia especially a hrd right ultra conservative". He even has a list of things he said while young but apologises for:

https://www.facebook.com/officialbensha ... 4541734646


If you have seen Shapiro talk on the subject of trans people - recently, not some errant Tweet when he was young (but not that young) - then you'll know that he describes them as having an "extreme mental illness." He is demonstrably anti-trans, and his unlettered, if verbose, protestations to the contrary are disingenuous in the extreme.


Gender dysphoria is a mental condition. It's only some extreme political groups are trying to claim it is not.

Quote:

He certainly fools a lot of people into believing he's both intelligent and relatively benign, but I would suggest that those people share either his lack of intellect, or his bigotry, or both.

I have no interest in the left-right narrative you've spuriously tacked on. A person who espouses bigotry and incites hatred can justifiably be called a bigot. He espouses bigotry, this is a fact. And as you know if you know Ben, facts don't care about your feelings.


So basically you will only put the interpretation that any position you disagree with when he says "My religion says this but I believe we are all free and can get along civility". And that's a fact!

Stating "Bigot bigot bigot" with no nuance or engagement is not facts.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1363
eldanielfire wrote:

So basically you will only put the interpretation that any position you disagree with when he says "My religion says this but I believe we are all free and can get along civility". And that's a fact!

Stating "Bigot bigot bigot" with no nuance or engagement is not facts.


I've tried to parse your first sentence into something intelligible, and my response to the point I think you're trying to make is that in my view religion is no excuse for bigotry.

For me it is a fact that he is a bigot, because he regularly says things that are bigoted. This engagement on my part requires no more nuance that that, because for me it is a demonstrable truth.

We're obviously at odds in terms of our conceptions of concepts like fact, bigotry and basic grammatical structure, so let's just agree to disagree.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 27686
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

So basically you will only put the interpretation that any position you disagree with when he says "My religion says this but I believe we are all free and can get along civility". And that's a fact!

Stating "Bigot bigot bigot" with no nuance or engagement is not facts.


I've tried to parse your first sentence into something intelligible, and my response to the point I think you're trying to make is that in my view religion is no excuse for bigotry.


But he lives and engages with people who are gay and makes no judgement on them and has specifically stated he wishes no harm and condems those that do.

Quote:

For me it is a fact that he is a bigot, because he regularly says things that are bigoted. This engagement on my part requires no more nuance that that, because for me it is a demonstrable truth.


And yet you haven't demonstrated it, you've made mostly vague allusions that he must be because he doesn't hold your views. Ironically the definition that comes up on bigotry is "intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself." By the definition, not your imaginary one you are a bigot and Sharipo by definition that he tolerates people he considers sinful human beings is by definition not one.

Human beings are perfectly able to seperate feeling and religious dogma.

Quote:
We're obviously at odds in terms of our conceptions of concepts like fact, bigotry and basic grammatical structure, so let's just agree to disagree.


Only because you are making them up and extracting interpretations of someones words and declaring them as fact or truth when they are anything but. But of course this is the problem with modern discourse, people like you whose entire argument is based on forcing the interpretation of events to be the one that fits your narrow preconceived views and false definitions.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2546
Quote:
“What of the countless thousands who wish they could be treated for homosexuality? They don’t matter, since the gay movement says that anyone with homosexual feelings should learn to be happy with those feelings.”


Shapiro not being a bigot and definitely not promoting gay conversion therapy.

Edit: There's loads more of course and this is well trodden ground at this stage.

Some non-gay non-bigotry now:

Quote:
"Israelis like to build. Arabs like to bomb crap and live in open sewage. This is not a difficult issue."


Charming. And nuanced.


Last edited by Conservative Eddie on Thu May 21, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1363
eldanielfire wrote:
By the definition, not your imaginary one you are a bigot and Sharipo by definition that he tolerates people he considers sinful human beings is by definition not one.


:lol: Jesus Christ


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2546
PourSomeRuggerOnMe wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
By the definition, not your imaginary one you are a bigot and Sharipo by definition that he tolerates people he considers sinful human beings is by definition not one.


:lol: Jesus Christ


It's one of the more zaney attempts at defending religious extremism, I'll give him that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:18 pm
Posts: 9967
PSR, gender dysphoria is a mental condition. Given the suicide rate among those diagnosed it’s unsurprising to say it is extreme. He’s also on record as saying he has no issue calling trans people by their preferred name, albeit not their pronouns. But he does so on the grounds of his interpretation of science, agree with him or not.

You’ve also implied he isn’t intelligent, which is utter garbage. The guy is one of the most successful graduates from one of the best universities in America. Like him or not, he’s significantly more intelligent than you or me, along with the majority of posters on here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Posts: 1363
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
PSR, gender dysphoria is a mental condition. Given the suicide rate among those diagnosed it’s unsurprising to say it is extreme. He’s also on record as saying he has no issue calling trans people by their preferred name, albeit not their pronouns. But he does so on the grounds of his interpretation of science, agree with him or not.

You’ve also implied he isn’t intelligent, which is utter garbage. The guy is one of the most successful graduates from one of the best universities in America. Like him or not, he’s significantly more intelligent than you or me, along with the majority of posters on here.


It's no surprise to me that you consider him intelligent.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 4086
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
PSR, gender dysphoria is a mental condition. Given the suicide rate among those diagnosed it’s unsurprising to say it is extreme. He’s also on record as saying he has no issue calling trans people by their preferred name, albeit not their pronouns. But he does so on the grounds of his interpretation of science, agree with him or not.

You’ve also implied he isn’t intelligent, which is utter garbage. The guy is one of the most successful graduates from one of the best universities in America. Like him or not, he’s significantly more intelligent than you or me, along with the majority of posters on here.



He has said he would call a person by their preferred pronoun privately if asked politely, but not publicly when brow beaten to do so or when discussing the issue.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 2546
Ulsters Red Hand wrote:
PSR, gender dysphoria is a mental condition. Given the suicide rate among those diagnosed it’s unsurprising to say it is extreme. He’s also on record as saying he has no issue calling trans people by their preferred name, albeit not their pronouns. But he does so on the grounds of his interpretation of science, agree with him or not.

You’ve also implied he isn’t intelligent, which is utter garbage. The guy is one of the most successful graduates from one of the best universities in America. Like him or not, he’s significantly more intelligent than you or me, along with the majority of posters on here.


Hang on a sec, homosexuality was in the DSM (classified psychiatric disorder) and was removed from it back in the 70s. So, why would anyone who is simply interpreting the science, be indirectly advocating gay conversion therapy decades later? And talking about gay people "being treated"?

It shouldn't take many firing synapses to surmise that Shapiro's views on gender dysphoria have nothing to do with "science". Bigots and religious nutters start off with their beliefs and prejudices, and of course will then tend to buttress them, flesh them out if you will, with some jargon and data. But the jargon, the data, the science - or their interpretation - is ultimately irrelevant to the reasons why they hold those views in the first place.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 13570
Intelligent people are the most 'effective' bigots.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bert, bimboman, BlackMac, Blackrock Bullet, danthefan, Gauss, Google Adsense [Bot], HighKingLeinster, iarmhiman, Idle_Wild, jdogscoop, Leinsterman, lorcanoworms, mdaclarke, Monk Zombie, MungoMan, Muttonbirds, Nolanator, ovalball, Porterbelly1, Rinkals, Sefton, shereblue, tabascoboy, terryfinch and 58 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group