Same-Sex Marriage - Australia Votes (kind of)

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Same-Sex Marriage - Australia Votes (kind of)

Post by Ali's Choice »

Just what the ARU needs, it's highest paid star to come out and publicly back the 'No' vote in the upcoming postal survey. This should attract lots of new fans and sponsors.
Israel Folau says he won’t support same-sex marriage, cops backlash

The Australian
4:39PM September 13, 2017

Rugby union star Israel Folau has spoken out in opposition to same-sex marriage, breaking ranks with the football code and sparking a social media backlash.

Folau, a devoted Christian, took to Twitter this afternoon to say: “I love and respect all people for who they are and their opinions. But personally, I will not support gay marriage”.

The comment, which came the day after the ARU unveiled a rainbow marriage equality logo as a mark of the organisation’s support for same sex marriage, has so far attracted more than 400 comments — and almost twice as many “likes”.

However, many respondents have accused the player of hypocrisy and denying gay people their human rights and equality.

“Israel Folau thinks gay people deserve less rights and freedoms than he enjoys,” said Chris Kennedy, national correspondent at NRL Digital Media. “Could be using his profile to do good.”

“Then don’t get gay married!” said another Twitter user. “Your opinion should not stop people living their own lives.”

Folau’s comments have also shone the spotlight on the difficulties that can arise when organisations, clubs or businesses take positions on contentious causes, despite individuals within the group holding differing views.

Folau’s stance is also at odds with the Wallabies side, which announced it would take a stand for marriage equality, joining the Football Federation, Cricket Australia and the NRL to support the ‘yes’ campaign.
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Taranaki Snapper

Re: Israel Folau speaks out against Gay Marriage

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

I wonder what SBW's Imam thinks about SSM and will Douche survive if the answer is in the negative?
pieman99

Post by pieman99 »

He's not paid to be intelligent.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

pieman99 wrote:He's not paid to be intelligent.
That is not a very nice thing to say. I don't see how people who believe in the sky fairy can support gay marriage if their sky fairy church tells them it's an abomination.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Anonymous. wrote:
That is not a very nice thing to say. I don't see how people who believe in the sky fairy can support gay marriage if their sky fairy church tells them it's an abomination.
True. Doesn't mean they need to be hypocrites and take to Twitter about it.
backrow

Post by backrow »

I just don't know why famous people have these kind of views made public on social media - what on earth have they got to gain ?

I was married, in a church, by a man who was married & had kids - and is the most gayest man you ever could meet (think the Rector from Dad's army mixed with Julian Clary). I don't really see what Faith & sexual orientation have got to do with one another - but then I'm not famous so my views account for zip.
pieman99

Post by pieman99 »

Anonymous. wrote:
Well, if you can't say something nice you shouldn't say anything at all, but sometimes there are exceptions that prove the rule. My exception of course, not his.

He really shouldn't let his hobby affect Australia's ongoing Enlightenment.
SickeninglyArrogantPerson

Post by SickeninglyArrogantPerson »

Pocock fighting the good fight

guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

He's perfectly entitled to his opinion and it closely aligns with his beliefs.

I can't see how he's a hypocrite for that or how his comment could be construed to be 'speaking out against' marriage equality. He's just saying he'll vote no.

A lot of people will. It's their right.
Santa

Post by Santa »

guy smiley wrote:He's perfectly entitled to his opinion and it closely aligns with his beliefs.

I can't see how he's a hypocrite for that or how his comment could be construed to be 'speaking out against' marriage equality. He's just saying he'll vote no.

These people must be smashed ridiculed and fired from their jobs.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Santa wrote:
guy smiley wrote:He's perfectly entitled to his opinion and it closely aligns with his beliefs.

So typical of the Left.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Santa wrote:

How tiresome. :roll:
The Native

Post by The Native »

Surely saying that he "loves and respects all people for who they are" but voting no to gay marriage is a little bit hypocritical.

He loves and respects all people. As long as they don't offend or go against what his religion dictates is correct.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Santa wrote:

Are you saying that doesn't happen?
All people that vote No will be fired from their jobs and ridiculed. I look forward to the 40% unemployment rate, currency and economic collapse. Good time to swan in with some GBP.
pieman99

Post by pieman99 »

It really isn't.
Santa

Post by Santa »

The Native wrote:

Surely saying that he "loves and respects all people for who they are" but voting no to gay marriage is a little bit hypocritical.

He loves and respects all people. As long as they don't offend or go against what his religion dictates is correct.
He can love and respect all people and not agree with them. Can you?
Razor

Post by Razor »

Folau is a closet. :nod:
Diego

Post by Diego »

Zakar wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Santa wrote:

Are you saying that doesn't happen?
All people that vote No will be fired from their jobs and ridiculed. I look forward to the 40% unemployment rate, currency and economic collapse. Good time to swan in with some GBP.
That's exactly what happened in Ireland after all.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

pieman99 wrote:

It really isn't.
Expand.
Razor

Post by Razor »

Ali's Choice wrote:Just what the ARU needs, it's highest paid star to come out and publicly back the 'No' vote in the upcoming postal survey. This should attract lots of new fans and sponsors.
Israel Folau says he won’t support same-sex marriage, cops backlash

The Australian
4:39PM September 13, 2017

Rugby union star Israel Folau has spoken out in opposition to same-sex marriage, breaking ranks with the football code and sparking a social media backlash.

Folau, a devoted Christian, took to Twitter this afternoon to say: “I love and respect all people for who they are and their opinions. But personally, I will not support gay marriage”.

The comment, which came the day after the ARU unveiled a rainbow marriage equality logo as a mark of the organisation’s support for same sex marriage, has so far attracted more than 400 comments — and almost twice as many “likes”.

However, many respondents have accused the player of hypocrisy and denying gay people their human rights and equality.

“Israel Folau thinks gay people deserve less rights and freedoms than he enjoys,” said Chris Kennedy, national correspondent at NRL Digital Media. “Could be using his profile to do good.”

“Then don’t get gay married!” said another Twitter user. “Your opinion should not stop people living their own lives.”

Folau’s comments have also shone the spotlight on the difficulties that can arise when organisations, clubs or businesses take positions on contentious causes, despite individuals within the group holding differing views.

Folau’s stance is also at odds with the Wallabies side, which announced it would take a stand for marriage equality, joining the Football Federation, Cricket Australia and the NRL to support the ‘yes’ campaign.
And...what is your vote AC?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Agree with this.
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

On a side point how can any "organisation" have an opinion on a matter like this.
It is surly a private matter and anything other than personal opinion stinks of big brother and the nanny state.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Santa wrote:
The Native wrote:

He can love and respect all people and not agree with them. Can you?
I don't love and respect any of you cnuts.

Except maybe AC.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Crazy Ed wrote:On a side point how can any "organisation" have an opinion on a matter like this.
It is surly a private matter and anything other than personal opinion stinks of big brother and the nanny state.
You appear to be asking how a group of people can arrive at an agreed position. Is that right?
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

Santa wrote:

You my friend are insane. Do you understand the concepts of either democracy or free speech?
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Bingo. I will vote yes, but god this whole drama annoys the crap out of me.

My company has public gone and said it supports the yes vote, just like the ARU has. My company also has a heap of conservative christian and muslim types who are all upset about it.

I wish the government just had the balls to make it legal without going through this waste of money vote crap. And I wish companies would at least try an be politically neutral.

Right, I am off to check my privilege and aspire to open pathways for more culturally diverse women in my workplace... I wish I was joking... :|
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

Anonymous. wrote:
They don't have to support it. They might very well be expected to STFU though instead of contradicting their employer in such a public and embarrassing way. As AC says it's not some neutral thing, the image of rugby as a modern inclusive sport is critical to its future and he hasn't helped here.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

pieman99 wrote:

It really isn't.

Blimey.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Seneca of the Night wrote: Most people voting no certainly won't talk about it at the water cooler. And certainly no one in a vulnerable senior position, lest they go the way of brendan eich.
Or John McAdams.
panamax

Post by panamax »

are we sure he's against it for religious reasons?
Crazy Ed

Post by Crazy Ed »

Santa wrote:
Crazy Ed wrote:On a side point how can any "organisation" have an opinion on a matter like this.
You appear to be asking how a group of people can arrive at an agreed position. Is that right?
A majority of people in an organisation can share one opinion but that does not require others members of that group to change there views particularly if it is going to vote.
I will concede that if 80% plus of a membership supported one option they would be entitled to state that fact in wording similar to .....The vast majority of the membership of XXXX support XXXX however each member is free to think and vote as there conscience dictates.

Incidentally I support the same sex marriage debate but I disagree with any idea that I can unfairly pressure others to change what may be strongly held views.

Some on here seem to want everybody to fall obediently into line.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Crazy Ed wrote:
Santa wrote:

You my friend are insane. Do you understand the concepts of either democracy or free speech?
You make a good point. Ok fine. They don't.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I can certainly understand companies doing it.
But organisations like the ARU, NRL and CA, who have all endorsed the yes vote, confuse me.
They shouldnt have an opinion on this.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

The Native wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
True. Doesn't mean they need to be hypocrites and take to Twitter about it.
Save me reading up on it why is he being hypocritical ?
PornDog

Post by PornDog »

guy smiley wrote:
Santa wrote:

So typical of the Left.
Its not lefty behaviour - its human behaviour! Colin Kaepernick isn't out of a job because of some pinko commies now is he?

It is of course his right to vote no, as it is his right to publicly speak out on the issue - and I agree that in itself doesn't make him a hypocrite. Likewise it is the right of those that disagree with him to publicly disagree with him and to ridicule him if they so wish. What's the issue?

My perspective on these issues is very simple - I don't want any stranger sticking their dirty nose into my life and telling me how I can and cannot live it. If I didn't reciprocate then I'd be a hypocrite. And I do try not to be.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Most people voting no certainly won't talk about it at the water cooler. And certainly no one in a vulnerable senior position, lest they go the way of brendan eich.
TBH any sort of political chat around the water cooler has not been the done thing in amy office I've worked for in Australia...save from senior partners who are old, don't give a fudge and are unfireable anyway.
pieman99

Post by pieman99 »

guy smiley wrote:
pieman99 wrote:

It really isn't.
Expand.
I will have to be brief for the moment, but some aspects of Religion were once useful in imposing a moral and ethical framework where there was a vacuum, but now we have the rule of law and there is no need for people's hobbies and prejudices to influence the perfectly reasonable lives of others.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

pieman99 wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
pieman99 wrote:

It really isn't.
Expand.
I will have to be brief for the moment, but some aspects of Religion were once useful in imposing a moral and ethical framework where there was a vacuum, but now we have the rule of law and there is no need for people's hobbies and prejudices to influence the perfectly reasonable lives of others.
Interesting... but irrelevant to the issue of people having a right to vote and express their opinion / wish.
panamax

Post by panamax »

pieman99 wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
pieman99 wrote:

It really isn't.
Expand.
you could make a claim against gay marriage without ever refering to God though...
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Farva wrote:
I can certainly understand companies doing it.
But organisations like the ARU, NRL and CA, who have all endorsed the yes vote, confuse me.
They shouldnt have an opinion on this.
Agreed. They're not political parties. I don't like the idea of sporting bodies effectively telling their contracted players what to think.