Same-Sex Marriage - Australia Votes (kind of)

All things Rugby
shanky

Re: Same-Sex Marriage - Australia Votes (kind of)

Post by shanky »

There’s something a little odd about people who move here, assert their individual religious and cultural rights, then seek to deny others the same privileges.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote:There’s something a little odd about people who move here, assert their individual religious and cultural rights, then seek to deny others the same privileges.
Careful. The usual shrills will call you a bigot for saying that.
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

shanky wrote:There’s something a little odd about people who move here, assert their individual religious and cultural rights, then seek to deny others the same privileges.
Perhaps, but I've found that in many cases its more of a first generation thing. As in those who move here. Sometimes it carries over a generation but from experience it's a lot less rigid. I know for a fact my sister-in-law who was raised devout Maronite Christian (think Eastern rite Catholicism) voted 'Yes' along with a number of her cousins (but didn't make it public and in one case maintained that they had voted 'No' but I know that they in fact voted 'Yes') while their parents were staunch 'No' voters.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Is this about the Bledisloe?
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote:
Is this about the Bledisloe?

Damn you Smiley!

:x
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

A proper representative wouldn't have lead a campaign the overwhelming majority of his electorate were against.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Working Class Rugger wrote:
Perhaps, but I've found that in many cases its more of a first generation thing. As in those who move here. Sometimes it carries over a generation but from experience it's a lot less rigid. I know for a fact my sister-in-law who was raised devout Maronite Christian (think Eastern rite Catholicism) voted 'Yes' along with a number of her cousins (but didn't make it public and in one case maintained that they had voted 'No' but I know that they in fact voted 'Yes') while their parents were staunch 'No' voters.
It might well be understandable, but it’s still pretty inexcusable.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ellafan wrote:

I hope not. I was expecting a technical argument about free speech instead.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Zakar wrote:A proper representative wouldn't have lead a campaign the overwhelming majority of his electorate were against.
He’s a cock and no one likes him

But the fact that he’s getting votes over whichever tax-and-spend ALP hack that the CFMEU have given blessing to, is illuminating in its own right
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:
Ellafan wrote:

Technically, Australia doesn't enjoy free speech as a right... it's assumed but not protected. You know this.

I do get amused by this dynamic though... the idea of people being free to follow their beliefs unless that disagrees with someone else's belief. Religions should be free to practise alongside every other religion and atheists with no fear or favour... so pay your taxes, you god bothering freaks and join the free for all. Cnuts.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:
Zakar wrote:A proper representative wouldn't have lead a campaign the overwhelming majority of his electorate were against.

But the fact that he’s getting votes over whichever tax-and-spend ALP hack that the CFMEU have given blessing to, is illuminating in its own right
It's the North Shore mate. Those cnuts would vote for Menzies given half a chance.
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

It's the North Shore mate. Those cnuts would vote for Menzies given half a chance.

You haven’t been here for a while buddy.

It’s all lycra, organic lattes and yummy mummies nowadays.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Union hating aspirational cnuts.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Please listen carefully.

This is the second time in a few days, when you have launched into a thread with a snarky smart-arse ad hominem statement, and been buried.

Do you want to go the hat trick, idiot-boy?
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Union hating aspirational cnuts.

1% lift in marginal tax rates can mean the difference between young Lachlan going to Scots College or being forever hobbled by slumming it at Kings
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote:
Ellafan wrote:

Not here mate. Its all about being politically correct and toeing (? spelling) the party line.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote:

Exactly. He doesn't represent them, he just works for the party that is the closest best fit.... A party with a absolutely massive spread of values etc.

If he was a good representative, he would have looked to his electorate before taking a strong stance. Instead, it's obvious that he is in a safe seat as a result of the party machine. How many liberal party members voted to put him up for preselection in that seat?
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:

Exactly. He doesn't represent them, he just works for the party that is the closest best fit.... A party with a absolutely massive spread of values etc.

If he was a good representative, he would have looked to his electorate before taking a strong stance. Instead, it's obvious that he is in a safe seat as a result of the party machine. How many liberal party members voted to put him up for preselection in that seat?

Will you please take your faux outrage and jam it, you numpty.

The labor party pre-selection process is dominated by factional interests who impose the sussex street selection on far flung electorates.

Jesus wept.
Last edited by Ellafan on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ellafan wrote:
Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:

Will you please take your faux outrage and jam it, you numpty.

The labor party pre-selection process is dominated by factional interests who impose the suuxex street selection on far flung electorates.

Jesus wept.
Go fudge yourself. I am a liberal voter you mongtard.

I think that Labour party pre selection is farked even worse, and rife with corruption.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Zakar wrote:
Go fudge yourself. I am a liberal voter you mongtard. .
Then you are totally naive and don't understand how the world works.

You want to change things?

1. Move back here.

2. Join Party.

3. get involved to the point you have a say in pre-selections, and influencing party policies. Instead of whining.

In the meantime, could you please spare us the midnite-oil style fist waving popular front bullshit.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ellafan wrote:
Zakar wrote:

1. Move back here.

2. Join Party.

3. get involved to the point you have a say in pre-selections, and influencing party policies. Instead of whining.

In the meantime, could you please spare us the midnite-oil style fist waving popular front bullshit.
You're a tedious, unfunny plum, and every interaction on here with you is grating at best.

I certainly do plan on doing the steps you outlined above. In the meantime, I'm not going to stop posting my opinion because some leather patched dinosaur says so. I certainly don't care if I have a minority opinion from time to time.

If you don't like my posts, feel free to pop me on ignore. I'll do the same to you.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Are people is Aus surprised by the amount of voters that went Yes, or was this about what was predicted?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Turbogoat wrote:Are people is Aus surprised by the amount of voters that went Yes, or was this about what was predicted?
It's pretty close to what was predicted. Most pollsters had it between 60 and 65%
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Zakar wrote:I love that Abbot's seat went 75% against him. He doesn't represent shit.
FAKE FARCAN NEWS!!!!!

He is like totes is the ultimate represesentation of shit.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ellafan wrote:
Zakar wrote:

1. Move back here.

2. Join Party.

:lol:

Good lunch in the Crown?
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

This post was made by Zakar who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
A suitable solution, on most topics.

But I will open your posts on Wallaby team threads, and will continue to pillory your uniformed statements appropriately.

Edit: spelling.
Last edited by Ellafan on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote:
Ellafan wrote:
Zakar wrote:

1. Move back here.

2. Join Party.

Good lunch in the Crown?
Fix. :nod:
Wallah

Post by Wallah »

So pleased it got the majority. Happy to hear there's equality for all :thumbup:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Steve or the long-dead one?
rett

Post by rett »

MungoMan wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Mate, it's gotta be the Beaver!
shanky

Post by shanky »

Zakar wrote:
shanky wrote:

He’s got a certain cringey cachet around here. It’s like he’s so awful that he’s a tourist attraction.

He’s done precisely nothing for the electorate though. Couldn’t even get a new stadium for the Sea Eagles. :thumbdown:
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Ellafan wrote:
This post was made by Zakar who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
A suitable solution, on most topics.

But I will open your posts on Wallaby team threads, and will continue to pillory your uniformed statements appropriately.

Edit: spelling.
I see my counter offer has not been accepted.

It is now withdrawn.
rett

Post by rett »

shanky wrote:

Without even knowing which MP you are discussing, I believe that an elected representative (in any level of government) should stand for their own beliefs, regardless of whether their electorates' support or not. It's called leadership.
shanky

Post by shanky »

rett wrote:
shanky wrote:

Without even knowing which MP you are discussing, I believe that an elected representative (in any level of government) should stand for their own beliefs, regardless of whether their electorates' support or not. It's called leadership.
Fair point but the Westminster system doesn’t really support that point of view though. All politics is local etc

(And we were discussing Tony Abbott - which might influence your opinion :) )
rett

Post by rett »

shanky wrote:
rett wrote:
shanky wrote:

Fair point but the Westminster system doesn’t really support that point of view though. All politics is local etc

(And we were discussing Tony Abbott - which might influence your opinion :) )

No. As someone has already posted-it's just one issue. Any realist could have predicted the result.

MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

rett wrote:
MungoMan wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
shanky wrote:

Mate, it's gotta be the Beaver!

North Shore vote in the bag!
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ellafan wrote:
shanky wrote:
Ellafan wrote:

Not here mate. Its all about being politically correct and toeing (? spelling) the party line.
Weight is right on the spelling. Ignore the pure damned fools who use 'towing' in that context. They doubtless also used 'bias' when the adjectival form is indicated.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

maxbox wrote:
Redsfan wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:
Nieghorn wrote:Surprised this has been so contentious given that this is one of your most cherished films ...

Brokeback pyramid?
Please do NOT disrespect the troops
:lol: :lol: :lol: break him morant! Has a good ring to it....

The Odd Angry Shot takes on a whole new meaning
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

I live in the Watson electorate and while it is a Labor seat from the perspective of its socio economic status, the SSM vote results here ran along the lines of religion. 70% voted no.

Apparently 20% of the electorate are Muslims. There's a lot of Catholics, Maronites and Greek Orthodox as well. Lebs make up a large proportion of the electorate and even the Tongans have a small community in the area. Just down the road are the Koreans who belong to their happy clappy churches.

Good on Tony Burke for saying that he will vote yes in Parliament.

It was worse in neighbouring Blaxland which takes in the wonderful suburbs of Auburn, Lidcombe, Greenacre and Punchbowl.

While the margin that Labor has over the Liberals in Watson has slowly been eroded in past elections, I'm expecting that the SSM result won't make a huge difference at the next election as there is more than SSM as an issue in this electorate.
kiap

Post by kiap »

MungoMan wrote:
Ellafan wrote:Not here mate. Its all about being politically correct and toeing (? spelling) the party line.
Weight is right on the spelling. Ignore the pure damned fools who use 'towing' in that context. They doubtless also used 'bias' when the adjectival form is indicated.
Well said, MM.

Did you know they're repatriating you back to country?

Must be good to get out of Canberra :thumbup: