Rob Horne

All things Rugby
Chuckles1188

Rob Horne

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Just been catching up on the weekend's Premiership action and Rob Horne had an absolute peach of a debut for Northampton, scored two and created another. Good player.
CrazyIslander

Re: Rob Horne

Post by CrazyIslander »

Strong runner and solid skills. Not fast enough for tests though and no x factor. Consistent.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

It was against the team who had been in the next level of competition down below the Premiership to be fair so it's not the toughes opposition he'll face by a long shot. Still a good performance, and a player I've always liked who doesn't get a huge amount of attention as a rule
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Did he not debut a couple of weeks ago?
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Zakar wrote:Did he not debut a couple of weeks ago?
It's possible he played in a warm-up game but those aren't generally counted as a first team appearance, at least in my experience
Oxbow

Post by Oxbow »

He's made a real difference to Saints, and has (had) brought out the best in Burrell. It wasn't his debut though, he played against Leicester and Bath. Amusingly the BBC have him down as George Horn in the lineups.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

My mistake, haven't been able to follow the Prem closely these last few weeks. The commentator on the Prem website said it was his debut and his Wiki page is still down as 0 apps. Anyway, he's looked good, seems to be a big part of what Saints needed. That backline was hideous to behold not long ago but looks much more interesting now
Saint

Post by Saint »

Yep. The noticeable thing he did straight away was fix both our defence and attack with his mere presence. Runs intelligent lines in attack that create lots of space for the rest of the backs, and runs the defence.

Against Irish he scored a couple of tries in what looked like very heavy traffic, but I suspect it was pretty powderpuff
Cozzer

Post by Cozzer »

Saint wrote:
Yep. The noticeable thing he did straight away was fix both our defence and attack with his mere presence. Runs intelligent lines in attack that create lots of space for the rest of the backs, and runs the defence.

Against Irish he scored a couple of tries in what looked like very heavy traffic, but I suspect it was pretty powderpuff
Pretty much as I read it. He's a bit like Conrad Smith used to be for the ABs i.e. he magically transforms a midfield with his presence. He's made Burrell look international class again which, let's face it, is no small feat .. particular for regulars at Franklin's Gardens for the past 2 seasons.

He's a nuggety player who is a lot stronger than he appears. He smashed Matt Toomua in the Saints vs Tigers fixture a couple of weeks ago which was nice to see. Whatever Saints are paying him (and Saint you may have some insider knowledge here) he's worth every cent.

Putting my neck on the line here, but if he remains injury free I would hazard that he will be more influential than the French geezer was.

Would still like us to invest in a tight head because the current two are penalty machines right now.
Chuckles1188

Post by Chuckles1188 »

Cozzer wrote:
Would still like us to invest in a tight head because the current two are penalty machines right now.
What the hell happened to Hill and Brookes anyway?
le chat

Post by le chat »

kind of player you don't even need to see play, you know what he's all about just from his name.
Clive Simms

Post by Clive Simms »

le chat wrote:kind of player you don't even need to see play, you know what he's all about just from his name.
Haha so true
Cozzer

Post by Cozzer »

Chuckles1188 wrote:
Cozzer wrote:
What the hell happened to Hill and Brookes anyway?
Ellis Genge 'happened' to Brookes .. last season. Did the same a couple of weeks ago. Mojo disappeared along with pride, dignity and the ability to scrummage.

Hill? Am not sure. He's a curate's egg. He can be good in the loose but will spoil it all by spilling the ball in contact. Sometimes he looks the business at scrum time, other times utter mince. He's still a baby in prop terms but he hasn't quite kicked on.

Dave Ribbans on the other hand :shock: .. and before anyone says it: yes, I am aware he's not a tight head prop
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Cozzer wrote:
Saint wrote:

Pretty much as I read it. He's a bit like Conrad Smith used to be for the ABs i.e. he magically transforms a midfield with his presence. He's made Burrell look international class again which, let's face it, is no small feat .. particular for regulars at Franklin's Gardens for the past 2 seasons.

He's a nuggety player who is a lot stronger than he appears. He smashed Matt Toomua in the Saints vs Tigers fixture a couple of weeks ago which was nice to see. Whatever Saints are paying him (and Saint you may have some insider knowledge here) he's worth every cent.

Putting my neck on the line here, but if he remains injury free I would hazard that he will be more influential than the French geezer was.

That's the highest praise I've read for Rob Horne in just about ever.
Cozzer

Post by Cozzer »

Zakar wrote:
Cozzer wrote:
Saint wrote:

That's the highest praise I've read for Rob Horne in just about ever.
He basically fixed our backline in about 2 weeks. It's been broken for about 2 years. I suspect he may be a witch or summat.
sunnybanana

Post by sunnybanana »

Likened to Conrad Smith :lol:
Cozzer

Post by Cozzer »

sunnybanana wrote:Likened to Conrad Smith :lol:
I know .. a little bit OTT on reflection :blush: :lol:

He has been pretty good though. Basically organised our knacker backs into something approaching a reasonable attacking force.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

sunnybanana wrote:Likened to Conrad Smith :lol:
They'd probably both feel insulted

Andalu

Post by Andalu »

If that isn't a beautiful man, I don't know what is.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Look at that. A humble thread about a decent player and good bloke.

Now it's ruined because someone compared him to a kiwi.

For the record - Rob Horne is no Mark Ranby.

(There - curse lifted. May the thread continue)
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Totally, acceptably, mediocre player.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Dumbledore wrote:Totally, acceptably, mediocre player.
He was a good super rugby player TBF, so not suprising he's excellent in the AP. Just was never more than solid at test level.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Zakar wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:Totally, acceptably, mediocre player.
He was a good super rugby player TBF, so not suprising he's excellent in the AP. Just was never more than solid at test level.
Don't mind Dumbles. He wanted Betham and Luke Jones in the centres instead.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Solid Super Rugby player. Adequate test player. He didn't stuff up on the field and would probably have a solid 5-6 next to his name after every test.

If he was a yard faster he would have been brilliant.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

Maybe that is due to the amount of injuries he had while Deans was coach.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

Nah, he was never electric when it came to pace.
fraz

Post by fraz »

He was barely adequate in Super Rugby, topped the comp for missed tackles a few years back and still got picked for the Wallabies (as a centre!). He's a bit like a less flashy, slower Pat McCabe. Stunk up the Wallabies backline on a number of occasions but was guaranteed a spot in the last couple of years due to his relationship with Cheika (the nature of which I don't think it right to speculate on).

Glad to hear he's setting the world alight in the far superior English comp.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Solid player. Was called back into the test side at 13 this past June after a run of injuries in the centres.
Should go well up north as he is excellent defensively and very strong in contact.

Will be way above average in the NH.
Keith

Post by Keith »

fraz wrote:He was barely adequate in Super Rugby, topped the comp for missed tackles a few years back and still got picked for the Wallabies (as a centre!). He's a bit like a less flashy, slower Pat McCabe. Stunk up the Wallabies backline on a number of occasions but was guaranteed a spot in the last couple of years due to his relationship with Cheika (the nature of which I don't think it right to speculate on).

Glad to hear he's setting the world alight in the far superior English comp.
This run of four straight defeats to the English really hurts, doesn't it? :lol:
kearnstar

Post by kearnstar »

Thomas wrote:
Brumby_in_Vic wrote:

Nah, he was never electric when it came to pace.
He was, actually

When he was 17/18 debuting for the Tah's, he was the most exciting #13 prospect I'd seen in years. He could get on the outside of just about anyone, and defended exactly how you would want for a player in the toughest possie to defend, outside centre

Then he tore up his hammy about 352 times. Never the same. True shame