Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

All things Rugby
Bowens
Posts: 11040
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 5:46 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Bowens »

Final got big ratings on 7 network in Australia apparently.
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Demilich »

henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
As stated, International league really is still a poor cousin. But NRL games are rarely sell-outs - it's more of a massive TV rater rather than crowd puller these days. As many sports seem to be faring.
User avatar
henry
Posts: 26631
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by henry »

Demilich wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
As stated, International league really is still a poor cousin. But NRL games are rarely sell-outs - it's more of a massive TV rater rather than crowd puller these days. As many sports seem to be faring.
Fair enough.

Having watched some of the hype around State of Origin when I was down there a few years ago, that is a contest/event/occasion/match is love to attend.
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Demilich »

henry wrote:
Demilich wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
As stated, International league really is still a poor cousin. But NRL games are rarely sell-outs - it's more of a massive TV rater rather than crowd puller these days. As many sports seem to be faring.
Fair enough.

Having watched some of the hype around State of Origin when I was down there a few years ago, that is a contest/event/occasion/match is love to attend.
They sell-out. But still easy to get tickets for - not one of those events where you have to enter a lottery, belong to a club or get thru in the first 7 seconds to buy online. So definitely an achievable sporting event to attend. :thumbup:
le chat
Posts: 3777
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by le chat »

Demilich wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
As stated, International league really is still a poor cousin. But NRL games are rarely sell-outs - it's more of a massive TV rater rather than crowd puller these days. As many sports seem to be faring.
Aussies don't seem to attend sports the way Brits do
polyallstar
Posts: 2191
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by polyallstar »

Had heard tickets were pricey too, so didn't attract as many casual fans
User avatar
Demilich
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Demilich »

le chat wrote:
Demilich wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
As stated, International league really is still a poor cousin. But NRL games are rarely sell-outs - it's more of a massive TV rater rather than crowd puller these days. As many sports seem to be faring.
Aussies don't seem to attend sports the way Brits do
We don't in NZ either. All Blacks will sell out, otherwise it either has to be a final, a novelty or an event (e.g. 7s during the party years) to draw a sell out. Sport in itself isn't enough.

Think the late evening kick offs to allow for northern audiences have driven a lot of people to just decide it's easier and more comfortable at home.
User avatar
kovana
Posts: 5493
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Growing Rugby Online. FACT.

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by kovana »

So a LWC final held in Australia, Qld no less.... with Oz and England in the final...

Didn't even get a sellout crowd? Fcuking joke of a WC.
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 13350
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by MungoMan »

le chat wrote:
Demilich wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
As stated, International league really is still a poor cousin. But NRL games are rarely sell-outs - it's more of a massive TV rater rather than crowd puller these days. As many sports seem to be faring.
Aussies don't seem to attend sports the way Brits do
?? BIg call to make on the strength of a RLWC final held in December.

It's true RL in Straya doesn't draw the crowds aussie rules does - NRL ave. 15,246 (2107) vs AFL ave. 35,207 (2017).

But then again, Aviva Premiership (2016-17) had an ave. of 15,065 and the FA Premier League (2016-17) had an ave. of 35,821.
User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 16711
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA!

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Thomas »

henry wrote:
Demilich wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
As stated, International league really is still a poor cousin. But NRL games are rarely sell-outs - it's more of a massive TV rater rather than crowd puller these days. As many sports seem to be faring.
Fair enough.

Having watched some of the hype around State of Origin when I was down there a few years ago, that is a contest/event/occasion/match is love to attend.
My wife loathes rugby league. Absolutely hates the game. But when the State of Origin comes around, she puts on her QLD jersey and screams at the TV like the rest of us.

My mum was the same. Had no idea what the fark was going on but would yell at the TV.
User avatar
Stu Wilsons gloves
Posts: 914
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Stu Wilsons gloves »

Bowens wrote:Final got big ratings on 7 network in Australia apparently.
About a third of the ratings for the RWC final in 2003 - so for a stand alone game the ratiings were good, not that good for a world cup though.

Le Chat the southern states get great crowds for AFL, the two new teams in NSW and QLD drag down the avareges a bit, the new stadium in Perth (60 K seater) will boost them up next season though. Adealide and Perth get great crowds for the both teams in the AFL, compare that to Brisbane in the NRL with only one team.

This tournement only made me await RWC2017 in Japan even more. I enjoy the festival of rugby aspect of the group stages and can't can't wait to get to Japan for a couple of the more obscure group games.
Brazil
Posts: 8108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Brazil »

A gutting result for England who were arguably the dominant (though not better) team for most of the game and but for a couple of poor decisions in attack could have taken home the trophy. For me the big difference was the kicking on the last. Australia more often than not gave England far more work to do than England did them, with their kicks being precise and measured, whereas Gale would just hoof the ball vaguely in the direction of the Aussie goal line. Gale himself is not an international stand off, nor is Kev Brown, and identifying somebody who can make the right decisions under pressure should be a priority for the next England Coach. England also really suffered for having Bateman in the centres, and it's a damning indictment of Superleague if that's really the best player that can be found in that position in the national side. Finally, and in retrospect, taking Chris Hill off for Tom Burgess was a disastrous error. Hill was making serious ground with his carries whereas Burgess came on and redefined the phrase "hands like cow's tits".

Still, it was a better game than expected and good to see England run an unquestionably better team in terms of skills and personnel so close. There's a real opportunity to build the international game on the back of this, so I firmly expect the RFL to totally fuck it up by playing a series of tests in Gdansk or somewhere.
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
It's big in NSW and QLD and not much in other parts. In all the other states, rugby is bigger.
User avatar
Andalu
Posts: 3219
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Andalu »

TranceNRG wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
It's big in NSW and QLD and not much in other parts. In all the other states, rugby is bigger.
Bigger than League? Surprising but maybe. AFL is lightyears head of both codes outside of NSW/QLD.
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

Andalu wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
It's big in NSW and QLD and not much in other parts. In all the other states, rugby is bigger.
Bigger than League? Surprising but maybe. AFL is lightyears head of both codes outside of NSW/QLD.
:lol:
User avatar
Andalu
Posts: 3219
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Andalu »

I'm not saying you are wrong. Just that both codes are pretty minor, e.g. there are more rugby players in NSW/QLD than the rest of the country despite it playing second fiddle to league in the rugby codes.
grievous
Posts: 12013
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by grievous »

Andalu wrote:I'm not saying you are wrong. Just that both codes are pretty minor, e.g. there are more rugby players in NSW/QLD than the rest of the country despite it playing second fiddle to league in the rugby codes.
huh?
User avatar
slick
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by slick »

League could be very cute here and throw a bit of cash in the direction of the PI's. Show them a bit of love and I could quite easily see league taking hold and union being edged out.

League desperately needs more international competition and that could be a real growth area. Union have f**ked the PI's around for so long I really think league would be missing a trick not to move in.

Real danger here IMO.
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

slick wrote:League could be very cute here and throw a bit of cash in the direction of the PI's. Show them a bit of love and I could quite easily see league taking hold and union being edged out.

League desperately needs more international competition and that could be a real growth area. Union have f**ked the PI's around for so long I really think league would be missing a trick not to move in.

Real danger here IMO.
By giving them millions I suppose? What has mungoball done? I don't think their joke of an organisation run by two people (RLIF) has any money to actually spend on league development in PI nations.
grievous
Posts: 12013
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by grievous »

slick wrote:League could be very cute here and throw a bit of cash in the direction of the PI's. Show them a bit of love and I could quite easily see league taking hold and union being edged out.

League desperately needs more international competition and that could be a real growth area. Union have f**ked the PI's around for so long I really think league would be missing a trick not to move in.

Real danger here IMO.
Working class rugger says that IRB are dishing out the cash so its gonna be aaaaalright.
grievous
Posts: 12013
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by grievous »

TranceNRG wrote:
slick wrote:League could be very cute here and throw a bit of cash in the direction of the PI's. Show them a bit of love and I could quite easily see league taking hold and union being edged out.

League desperately needs more international competition and that could be a real growth area. Union have f**ked the PI's around for so long I really think league would be missing a trick not to move in.

Real danger here IMO.
By giving them millions I suppose? What has mungoball done? I don't think their joke of an organisation run by two people (RLIF) has any money to actually spend on league development in PI nations.
Have you been to Fiji recently? Its the ugly sister but it has a profile it never had only because of the NRL. Throw in a competitive national side that makes semi finals and rugby has a sister ready to go the ball.
le chat
Posts: 3777
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by le chat »

MungoMan wrote:
le chat wrote:
Demilich wrote:
henry wrote:I was under the impression that league was massive in Australia so I was a bit surprised that the final wasn't a sellout.

Are England that poor/unappealing? Was the result such a foregone conclusion?

Seems odd.



Just looked - 40,000 attendance in a 52,000 seater. Semis were even worse, albeit one was played in NZ.
As stated, International league really is still a poor cousin. But NRL games are rarely sell-outs - it's more of a massive TV rater rather than crowd puller these days. As many sports seem to be faring.
Aussies don't seem to attend sports the way Brits do
?? BIg call to make on the strength of a RLWC final held in December.

It's true RL in Straya doesn't draw the crowds aussie rules does - NRL ave. 15,246 (2107) vs AFL ave. 35,207 (2017).

But then again, Aviva Premiership (2016-17) had an ave. of 15,065 and the FA Premier League (2016-17) had an ave. of 35,821.
Oh you don't want to go there :lol:

People go to watch way more pro sport here on a weekly basis. We have professional football league which has about 20 tiers, so to compare the ringfenced AFL with 18 teams and 35k crowds to the English football league season is absolutely ridiculous.
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

grievous wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
slick wrote:League could be very cute here and throw a bit of cash in the direction of the PI's. Show them a bit of love and I could quite easily see league taking hold and union being edged out.

League desperately needs more international competition and that could be a real growth area. Union have f**ked the PI's around for so long I really think league would be missing a trick not to move in.

Real danger here IMO.
By giving them millions I suppose? What has mungoball done? I don't think their joke of an organisation run by two people (RLIF) has any money to actually spend on league development in PI nations.
Have you been to Fiji recently? Its the ugly sister but it has a profile it never had only because of the NRL. Throw in a competitive national side that makes semi finals and rugby has a sister ready to go the ball.
Nope, I've never been to any of the islands. Is it getting a profile because NRL are poaching Fijian players or they actually doing any development work there?

I just disagree with Slick's assessment that Rugby has screwed PI nations when they were probably getting more money than any other nation per capita.
User avatar
slick
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by slick »

TranceNRG wrote:
grievous wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
slick wrote:League could be very cute here and throw a bit of cash in the direction of the PI's. Show them a bit of love and I could quite easily see league taking hold and union being edged out.

League desperately needs more international competition and that could be a real growth area. Union have f**ked the PI's around for so long I really think league would be missing a trick not to move in.

Real danger here IMO.
By giving them millions I suppose? What has mungoball done? I don't think their joke of an organisation run by two people (RLIF) has any money to actually spend on league development in PI nations.
Have you been to Fiji recently? Its the ugly sister but it has a profile it never had only because of the NRL. Throw in a competitive national side that makes semi finals and rugby has a sister ready to go the ball.
Nope, I've never been to any of the islands. Is it getting a profile because NRL are poaching Fijian players or they actually doing any development work there?

I just disagree with Slick's assessment that Rugby has screwed PI nations when they were probably getting more money than any other nation per capita.
It's about more than cash though. The chance of regulalrly competing against the best nations, getting to semi finals in "global" competitions, feeling they are respected as a top nation in their sport.
grievous
Posts: 12013
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by grievous »

TranceNRG wrote:
grievous wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
slick wrote:League could be very cute here and throw a bit of cash in the direction of the PI's. Show them a bit of love and I could quite easily see league taking hold and union being edged out.

League desperately needs more international competition and that could be a real growth area. Union have f**ked the PI's around for so long I really think league would be missing a trick not to move in.

Real danger here IMO.
By giving them millions I suppose? What has mungoball done? I don't think their joke of an organisation run by two people (RLIF) has any money to actually spend on league development in PI nations.
Have you been to Fiji recently? Its the ugly sister but it has a profile it never had only because of the NRL. Throw in a competitive national side that makes semi finals and rugby has a sister ready to go the ball.
Nope, I've never been to any of the islands. Is it getting a profile because NRL are poaching Fijian players or they actually doing any development work there?

I just disagree with Slick's assessment that Rugby has screwed PI nations when they were probably getting more money than any other nation per capita.
Yes there is. Recent game with NZ/PNG helps too, NRL is beamed in now remember as it is all over the PIs.
If the RLIF got there act together in the Oz/PI area rugby would have some serious concerns......history says they wont do shit. If Australia doesn't really care about international RL its resigned to unmaned websites across the world.
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

slick wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
grievous wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
slick wrote:League could be very cute here and throw a bit of cash in the direction of the PI's. Show them a bit of love and I could quite easily see league taking hold and union being edged out.

League desperately needs more international competition and that could be a real growth area. Union have f**ked the PI's around for so long I really think league would be missing a trick not to move in.

Real danger here IMO.
By giving them millions I suppose? What has mungoball done? I don't think their joke of an organisation run by two people (RLIF) has any money to actually spend on league development in PI nations.
Have you been to Fiji recently? Its the ugly sister but it has a profile it never had only because of the NRL. Throw in a competitive national side that makes semi finals and rugby has a sister ready to go the ball.
Nope, I've never been to any of the islands. Is it getting a profile because NRL are poaching Fijian players or they actually doing any development work there?

I just disagree with Slick's assessment that Rugby has screwed PI nations when they were probably getting more money than any other nation per capita.
It's about more than cash though. The chance of regulalrly competing against the best nations, getting to semi finals in "global" competitions, feeling they are respected as a top nation in their sport.
I guess Fiji and other PI nations can look forward to regular matches against combined QLD/NSW, Auckland, Northern England and PNG and artificial teams like Lebanon, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, etc.
Definitely much better than playing test rugby.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 28806
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rugby League becomes the dominant sport in the PI's over the next decade. Rugby is set up so that the best Pacific Islanders will never play for the island nations, they will play for countries that have wealthy pro-leagues. Why would islanders keeping watching a sport that is actually set up for them to fail?
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

Only reason PI players representing PI teams is because of farcial eligibility rules in the village sport.
le chat
Posts: 3777
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by le chat »

Ali's Choice wrote:It wouldn't surprise me at all if Rugby League becomes the dominant sport in the PI's over the next decade. Rugby is set up so that the best Pacific Islanders will never play for the island nations, they will play for countries that have wealthy pro-leagues. Why would islanders keeping watching a sport that is actually set up for them to fail?
You are assuming it is all about the fairing on the national teams for them. They're not going to stop playing just because their national teams are rubbish.
User avatar
slick
Posts: 8257
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by slick »

I guess Fiji and other PI nations can look forward to regular matches against combined QLD/NSW, Auckland, Northern England and PNG and artificial teams like Lebanon, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, etc.
Definitely much better than playing test rugby.
You seem to be missing my point.

If you have a strong and competitive Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and PNG along with Oz, England and NZ then suddenly you have 7 teams that could quite conceivably all make a WC semi or even final. Do we have that many teams in Union that could do the same? Even after decades of supposed nurturing?

I find league mostly a borefest, but I think these should be serious concerns for Union.
User avatar
Andalu
Posts: 3219
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:57 pm

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Andalu »

grievous wrote:
Andalu wrote:I'm not saying you are wrong. Just that both codes are pretty minor, e.g. there are more rugby players in NSW/QLD than the rest of the country despite it playing second fiddle to league in the rugby codes.
huh?
My point is that rugby might be second to league in NSW/QLD but the majority of rugby (union) players are also in NSW/QLD.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 28806
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

TranceNRG wrote:Only reason PI players representing PI teams is because of farcial eligibility rules in the village sport.
The average villager in Samoa or Tonga is just happy to see their nation doing well on TV. In contrast Rugby is currently set up for the PI's to fail.
le chat
Posts: 3777
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by le chat »

Why do people keep referring to England as Northern England? Union isn't referred to as Southern England etc
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 28806
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

le chat wrote:Why do people keep referring to England as Northern England? Union isn't referred to as Southern England etc
It's called trolling.
grievous
Posts: 12013
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by grievous »

slick wrote:
I guess Fiji and other PI nations can look forward to regular matches against combined QLD/NSW, Auckland, Northern England and PNG and artificial teams like Lebanon, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, etc.
Definitely much better than playing test rugby.
You seem to be missing my point.

If you have a strong and competitive Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and PNG along with Oz, England and NZ then suddenly you have 7 teams that could quite conceivably all make a WC semi or even final. Do we have that many teams in Union that could do the same? Even after decades of supposed nurturing?

I find league mostly a borefest, but I think these should be serious concerns for Union.
Ignoring the faux teams created by the comp but I agree
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

slick wrote:
I guess Fiji and other PI nations can look forward to regular matches against combined QLD/NSW, Auckland, Northern England and PNG and artificial teams like Lebanon, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, etc.
Definitely much better than playing test rugby.
You seem to be missing my point.

If you have a strong and competitive Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and PNG along with Oz, England and NZ then suddenly you have 7 teams that could quite conceivably all make a WC semi or even final. Do we have that many teams in Union that could do the same? Even after decades of supposed nurturing?

I find league mostly a borefest, but I think these should be serious concerns for Union.
You have many more competitive teams in Rugby hence PI teams struggle to make it to semis. You seem to be suggesting the lack of competitiveness in league is a positive. Yes the PIs might be thinking we don't care that it's a farcial tournament and we can make the semis so lets all switch to league, well that's their loss.

Yes Rugby could lose the no 1 status in PIs but I doubt league would gain ground anywhere else in the world.
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

le chat wrote:Why do people keep referring to England as Northern England? Union isn't referred to as Southern England etc
Because Rugby still exists in North England whereas league is non existent outside Northern England?
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 28806
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by Ali's Choice »

TranceNRG wrote:
slick wrote:
I guess Fiji and other PI nations can look forward to regular matches against combined QLD/NSW, Auckland, Northern England and PNG and artificial teams like Lebanon, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, etc.
Definitely much better than playing test rugby.
You seem to be missing my point.

If you have a strong and competitive Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and PNG along with Oz, England and NZ then suddenly you have 7 teams that could quite conceivably all make a WC semi or even final. Do we have that many teams in Union that could do the same? Even after decades of supposed nurturing?

I find league mostly a borefest, but I think these should be serious concerns for Union.
You have many more competitive teams in Rugby hence PI teams struggle to make it to semis. You seem to be suggesting the lack of competitiveness in league is a positive. Yes the PIs might be thinking we don't care that it's a farcial tournament and we can make the semis so lets all switch to league, well that's their loss.
What a dumb comment. You really are a f**king dickhead.
grievous
Posts: 12013
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Tahstown

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by grievous »

TranceNRG wrote:
slick wrote:
I guess Fiji and other PI nations can look forward to regular matches against combined QLD/NSW, Auckland, Northern England and PNG and artificial teams like Lebanon, Ireland, Scotland, Italy, etc.
Definitely much better than playing test rugby.
You seem to be missing my point.

If you have a strong and competitive Tonga, Fiji, Samoa and PNG along with Oz, England and NZ then suddenly you have 7 teams that could quite conceivably all make a WC semi or even final. Do we have that many teams in Union that could do the same? Even after decades of supposed nurturing?

I find league mostly a borefest, but I think these should be serious concerns for Union.
You have many more competitive teams in Rugby hence PI teams struggle to make it to semis. You seem to be suggesting the lack of competitiveness in league is a positive. Yes the PIs might be thinking we don't care that it's a farcial tournament and we can make the semis so lets all switch to league, well that's their loss.

Yes Rugby could lose the no 1 status in PIs but I doubt league would gain ground anywhere else in the world.
PIs should never be conceded to mungo the game owes them too much, as much as the Welsh would claim the game owes them for their rugby traditions yet look at the disparaging differences between these countries
User avatar
TranceNRG
Posts: 9784
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sunny London
Contact:

Re: Official Rugby League World Cup Thread

Post by TranceNRG »

:lol: So AC the old MVP enlighten me, do you think it's a positive that they can all make semis in a farce of a tournament?
Post Reply