Chat Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Nieghorn wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
The stream of the Columbia women vs Brazil match at the weekend:

https://www.facebook.com/FecorugbyTucan ... 509755513/



The victorious ladies ...

Image


Columbia have won this fixture two years in a row. I've love to see them take on the mid-quality European sides like Germany, Netherlands for perspective.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Nieghorn wrote:
Was disappointed to see more England forward dominance... women against girls stuff in the highlights. Only saw Scarratt in the background. Thompson meant to be playing... didn’t notice at all. Not sure who the other winger was.


As you know that worries me. Forward dominated tries are by definition more labourous. And if all England's professional time has done is just create more effective bash the ball up it's a hugely inefficient waste of time. Train more backs moves. Spend hours and days running and passing to create the sort of creative team play and understanding where you can run a try from your own 22 if needed.

IMO it's no coincidence the Black Ferns have beaten England in the finals of the last two recent tournaments they have met (Last summers Super 5 thingy and the 2017 RWC) because for big tournaments England's constant forward pounding take sit out of the players and up against another superb pack they run out of steam and go missing.

Also the RWC is next year and England have basically not done anything serious to find a back-up to Katy Daley McClean at 10.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Amy Cockayne built her own home gym with the Coronavirus about:

https://mobile.twitter.com/amycokayne/s ... 6437175303


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
An article or two I wanted to post before the Coronavirus became all news. First one is on Zoe Aldcroft's Rugby journey:

Quote:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51742690

England Women v Wales Women: How Zoe Aldcroft changed clubs to be allowed to play

Zoe Aldcroft was the only girl in a team of boys when she started playing rugby aged nine at her local club in Scarborough.

After three years, she was no longer allowed to play in a mixed team and faced a tough decision: travel three hours every Sunday to the nearest club with a girls' team or give up the sport she loved.

On Saturday, the 23-year-old will be playing far from her Yorkshire home in an England shirt in front of a crowd of over 10,000.

Lock Aldcroft is part of the Red Roses team chasing a Six Nations Grand Slam as they prepare to face Wales at Twickenham Stoop.

Both she and her former club have come a long way in the last decade.

The lack of a girls' team at Scarborough RFC meant a move to West Park Leeds RUFC. Now, her local club have three and Aldcroft is a full-time professional player and regular starter for England, and plays for Gloucester-Hartpury in the Premier 15s.

"Scarborough are really excelling in women's rugby now and they really support me," she says.

"I wished so much that it would happen when I was there. Now that girls are getting the chance to play for their home team, it's really great to see."

Jess Breach to miss rest of Six Nations through injury
Listen to Rugby Union Weekly Women's Six Nations: Inside the England camp
Rosie Galligan: Saracens player on meningitis & shattered ankle in space of five months
Women's Six Nations table: England P 3, W 3, D 0, L 0, PD 86, B 2, Pts 14; France P 3, W 2, D 0, L 1, PD 79, B 3, Pts 11; Ireland P 3, W 2, D 0, L 1, PD -4, B 1, Pts 9; Italy P 2, W 1, D 0, L 1, PD -31, B 0, Pts 4; Scotland P 2, W 0, D 0, L 2, PD -57, B 1, Pts 1; Wales P 3, W 0, D 0, L 3, PD -73, B 1, Pts 1
Giving up the whole of your Sunday to travel across Yorkshire and Lancashire for rugby matches is a big sacrifice for a teenager.

But such is Aldcroft's passion for her sport that she never saw it that way. Instead, she insists it was her dad - the person who had to drive her around - who gave up the most.

"I loved getting in the car on a Sunday morning. I just slept," says Aldcroft, who won her first England cap in 2016.

"My mum had made sandwiches for me. I think it was more of a sacrifice for my dad. My dad loved coming to watch so he'd do it anyway."

The debt will be more than repaid when Aldcroft's dad joins her mum and brother to watch her earn her 20th England cap at the Stoop on Saturday.

The forward missed out on England's Grand Slam victory last year because of a broken ankle, making her even more grateful to be back as the side seek to retain their title.

And she could be stepping out in front of a record crowd, with over 10,000 tickets sold and the record standing at 10,545.

Just a few years ago Aldcroft was one of many young girls unable to play local club rugby, let alone think of an England career.

On Saturday, thousands of young girls will be dreaming of just that when they watch her in action.

"I never really think of it like that but when you do, it is pretty amazing," she says.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Gwenllian Pyrs, the new young Wales Prop who along with their young new hooker Kelsey Jones have helped turn the Wales scrum into one England crushed to one that had superior game against England last time round (and crushed Ireland's as well). Little Instagram video in there as well:

Quote:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... -saturday/

Meet Gwenllian Pyrs, the sheepdog trainer propping for Wales at The Stoop on Saturday
Wales have had a challenging Six Nations and face an unbeaten England side away from home in round four

By
Fiona Tomas
6 March 2020 • 2:06pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/B9ZTWYhgae8 ... e=ig_embed

Few are acquainted with the story of Gwenllian Pyrs, the Welsh front rower who will run out at the Twickenham Stoop on Saturday against England. Hailing from Ysbyty Ifan in the Conwy Valley of north west Snowdonia, she puts her propping prowess down to mucking out on her family’s farm where she grew up playing no-rules rugby with her nine brothers and sisters while learning the art of her other passion: sheepdog training.

“Rugby is still relatively new for me but I’ve been dog training on the farm with my dad since I was nine years old,” says Pyrs. “It’s where I’m most comfortable and if I’m stressed at all, I’ll go out with the dogs to relax.”

The 22-year-old is one of several players to juggle jobs in an amateur Wales side, which counts a science teacher, a disability and inclusion officer, a student nurse and a fast food crew member among its players. Growing up in one of the smallest known Welsh-speaking communities, Pyrs learnt most of her English from watching TV as a child, before proper lessons in a bilingual secondary school. Our evening phone call at 6pm is only the second time she has spoken English all day, during which she bashfully admits her anglophone mastery “is a bit poor” due to spending most of her time out in the hills with her four-legged friends.

“I speak to the dogs in Welsh, but the commands are in English,” adds Pyrs. “That’s because if I want to sell them, it’s easier for others to train them. They can sort of be bilingual. There’s a competition where you trial with two dogs. For that, you’ll command one command in Welsh and the other in English and work both of them together. But if I know I’m going to keep the dog, I’ll teach it in Welsh.”

The bilingual traits certainly ring true among Pyrs and her international teammates. “A few of the girls speak Welsh, there’s more than you think,” she says. “I’d probably say half of the girls speak it. Most of them prefer English because that way everyone’s in the conversation, but lots understand Welsh.”

After impressing at regional level in Scarlets’ under-18’s set-up, an international debut beckoned and she earned her first Wales cap against Italy in the 2017 Women’s Six Nations. But the front rower’s career hung in the balance last year when she and Welsh team mate Bethan Davies were involved in a road accident en route to Cardiff for training, a routine eight-hour round trip Pyrs has made three times a week since January. The incident ruled her out for the entire tournament.

“This car was doing about 70mph when it hit us as we slowed down to a roundabout,” said Pyrs. “We both blacked out and all I remember was someone knocking on the car door and asking if we were okay, and then the ambulance arrived. Both of us had whiplash and Bethan tore her calf, I had some soft tissue damage and a cut on my head which healed quite quickly. Trying to get back into the squad was difficult, but we got through it.”

Gwenllian Pyrs in action as Wales were outclassed by France in the last round of the Six Nations CREDIT: Getty Images
Pyrs has since become a mainstay in the Welsh side, having been involved in all of her country’s autumn Tests last year. Her comeback in the face of adversity is all the more remarkable given that she juggles the sheepdog training job with another as a rugby hub officer at several local schools across the Conwy Valley, where the heartbeat of rugby is unusually palpable for an area so remote. Prys’ father, Eryl, was one of the founding members of Nant Conwy in 1980.

“It has really knitted together the different social elements of the valley and is so important for the whole community,” explained Eryl. “It’s important for the Welsh language too, with most of the coaching done through Welsh although there’s a warm welcome for all.”


It was only when Nant Conwy set up a girl’s section six years ago that Pyrs graduated from farm yard-level rugby to playing in a more competitive environment. The vital grassroots hub helped spawn her international talent and girls’ participation in this unlikely pocket of North Wales, where Pyrs is now something of a local celebrity, is booming.

“We’re trying to keep up to pace with the demand from girls to be part of Nant Conwy,” said Nia Wyn Roberts, the founder of the girl’s set-up at the club. “It’s fantastic to see a local girl like Gwenllian doing so well and representing the area on the international stage. Girls at Nant Conwy can see there’s a pathway for them now.”

Does Pyrs dream of leaving the sheep dog training behind for professional rugby like her English counterparts? “I have thought about it,” she says. “But I love spending time with the dogs and rugby is such a short career anyway. I think I’ll always have dogs. I’m not sure if I could live without them.”



Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18949
Location: Centre of the Universe
Saw some fancy coordinated ball handling from Rhona Lloyd and friend on twitter and couldn't help but notice that she'd paid her tickets to the gun show!

Yowzers, she's built!

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Scrumqueens - Women’s Rugby
@ScrumQueens
The RFU confirm the teams to make up the Tyrrells Premier 15s for the next 3 seasons. Richmond and Waterloo lose their places and are replaced by Sale Sharks and Exeter Chiefs. The two newcomers to the women's game go straight into the top flight.

There's also a name change for
@DMP_Sharks
who become DMP Durham Sharks due to a new partnership with Durham University. They will have access to the new £32m Maiden Castle facility development among other benefits.

Newcastle believed to be the team who lost out. I suspect Sale will absorb a fair chunk of Waterloo's squad and Exeter might well pick-off some of Bristols.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18949
Location: Centre of the Universe
What a kick in the teeth to West Park Leeds, especially ...


What really irks me about this is that the clubs that aspire to get there and have been reaching and growing for years get blocked, and likely to have their good players (who aspire to be noticed by England selectors) poached by upstarts with little to no history.

Can't see Richmond ladies having a good seasons in their new league next year, as surely anyone who's good will go to one of the other London clubs?! I have some, but less, sympathy for Waterloo as (if I'm not mistaken) it felt as if Burns had a hand in them getting there when they probably shouldn't have.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Nieghorn wrote:
What a kick in the teeth to West Park Leeds, especially ...


What really irks me about this is that the clubs that aspire to get there and have been reaching and growing for years get blocked, and likely to have their good players (who aspire to be noticed by England selectors) poached by upstarts with little to no history.

Can't see Richmond ladies having a good seasons in their new league next year, as surely anyone who's good will go to one of the other London clubs?! I have some, but less, sympathy for Waterloo as (if I'm not mistaken) it felt as if Burns had a hand in them getting there when they probably shouldn't have.


Agreed. It's the RFU farming out costs for professionalism essentially rather than making the best league with the best production of talent coming through. I suspect West Park lost out on how poor the Leeds men's team is doing, despite them being quite the talent factory of young players.

A potential life saver for the likes of Richmond is that the Tyrells will cast off the 2nd teams. I think rather than 2 squads of 30, each team needs one of 40. that leaves 20 players per team looking for good quality Rugby. That could invigorate the Southern and Northern leagues with 200 players who just didn't make the cut in the elite.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18949
Location: Centre of the Universe
Fair point on the 2nds teams... could be okay for some of the weaker teams to pick up some players who don't want to be fringe and won't now be getting much game time / a place to show their worth to the first team.

It also just hit me that Wuss have survived. Weak team, but have the pro backing.

I gather it's going to be just like the men's now, with only an utterly dominant, and possibly isolated regionally (so not easy for those with jobs to move to a better club) 'Championship' team moving up and surviving because the lower div teams will always have their good young girls move to a Tyrrell's club.

I don't want to get into it with someone on twitter, but also don't like the idea floated that it and BUCS (especially) become the feeder. Canada's got too much of a focus on steering university athletes into the national women's team, even when there are older club and technical college players who are better.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:10 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
To be fair to Sale Sharks, they have done a grest job buiding up a lot fo community links and getting the ocal takent into Rugby and training them well. They ahev put this guy in charge of their women's team:

https://twitter.com/DarrenLamon

Seems, despite the obvious 'money buy you a league place', they want to seriously build up the women's game locally.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 18569
With a reduction in my rugby watching in general (pre-covid) I haven't seen much of the womens game. How were the England womens pack looking? Wasps have just hired Richard Blaze as forwards coach.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18949
Location: Centre of the Universe
You could tune in to any of the recent matches (possibly a few on youtube) and get a good look at the pack, because it seems that they see the ball 80% of the time. Backs are just there to return kicks and occasionally run an out the back play to the wing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am
Posts: 18569
Nieghorn wrote:
You could tune in to any of the recent matches (possibly a few on youtube) and get a good look at the pack, because it seems that they see the ball 80% of the time. Backs are just there to return kicks and occasionally run an out the back play to the wing.


Was planning on doing so.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Raggs wrote:
With a reduction in my rugby watching in general (pre-covid) I haven't seen much of the womens game. How were the England womens pack looking? Wasps have just hired Richard Blaze as forwards coach.


You'll see from my comments last year that I thought he improved their play a lot. Made them less static and more mobile, to help trigger the attack and get involved in attacking moves, almost more like New Zealand forwards. The scrum was shite though.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
The England's 7's women making the most out of to much time on their hands to make cute videos:

https://twitter.com/EnglandRugby/status ... 2446888960

https://twitter.com/AbiLucyBurton/statu ... 8120274945


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18949
Location: Centre of the Universe
Jeez ... Abbie Brown ... (nice editing in that one, I've seen a bunch and most aren't constructed well)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Katy Daley-Mclean is joining Sale Sharks.

https://twitter.com/SaleSharksWomen/sta ... 3864921088

That's a big grab for them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
A shame, in a period where there have been records for women's test rugby, in numbers watched and tests played, Tyrells have droped their sponsorship of women's club Rugby in England, which may mean funding cuts.

IMO that's the RFUs fault, half the Tyrells teams when unfollowable. They didn't keep up to date squads, social media interaction was nil and there was no centralisation of scores with try scorers, eve the highlights wouldn't have try scorers if the club themselves didn't label them. It was a poor product. Like to many women's sports the ruling body liked the headlines of gender equality but gave no fucks once the press walked away to write their pieces.

What's worse is clubs with followings, developmental pathways and the grass routes built up for years prior where shoved aside for big name club connections. Despite this Wasps Ladies had almost no connection to Wasps RFC in Coventry (almost more Ealing Ladies) and we lost the likes of Thurrock and Litchfield who had proven histories in the game. Also many places the ladies player was very much out of the way. Add in the ridiculous in-balance in player distribution where a few London clubs absorbed half a class squad to add to their own.

IMO there is no reason why every Elite club game isn't screened on YouTube with a decent camera and at least a stats person who will label each point scored and card gained. HAve ecah club providea commentator who knows who the players are. Start with a decent product, not a press headline to be a success. Growing sports are like gardens, they grow out of grassroots and need maintenance along the way to flourish. They should also have rules about number of academy players in the squads and limit wholesale "buying of players".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 21611
eldanielfire wrote:
A shame, in a period where there have been records for women's test rugby, in numbers watched and tests played, Tyrells have droped their sponsorship of women's club Rugby in England, which may mean funding cuts.

IMO that's the RFUs fault, half the Tyrells teams when unfollowable. They didn't keep up to date squads, social media interaction was nil and there was no centralisation of scores with try scorers, eve the highlights wouldn't have try scorers if the club themselves didn't label them. It was a poor product. Like to many women's sports the ruling body liked the headlines of gender equality but gave no fucks once the press walked away to write their pieces.

What's worse is clubs with followings, developmental pathways and the grass routes built up for years prior where shoved aside for big name club connections. Despite this Wasps Ladies had almost no connection to Wasps RFC in Coventry (almost more Ealing Ladies) and we lost the likes of Thurrock and Litchfield who had proven histories in the game. Also many places the ladies player was very much out of the way. Add in the ridiculous in-balance in player distribution where a few London clubs absorbed half a class squad to add to their own.

IMO there is no reason why every Elite club game isn't screened on YouTube with a decent camera and at least a stats person who will label each point scored and card gained. HAve ecah club providea commentator who knows who the players are. Start with a decent product, not a press headline to be a success. Growing sports are like gardens, they grow out of grassroots and need maintenance along the way to flourish. They should also have rules about number of academy players in the squads and limit wholesale "buying of players".


Because no one cares you freak


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18949
Location: Centre of the Universe
Fair shouts about lack of effort. Clubs, at least, need to be better at promotion if they truly want the thing to grow.

Some of the social media stuff I see out of NZ is really enjoyable (RFU have done some fun things with both men and women as well, to be fair). Keep it up, though. Get little girls (and boys!) interested in you, make it dead easy to watch, and bombard them with content to keep them interested.

With insta stories and TikToks being the skillset of the millennial, surely someone (or many) in every club has the capacity to put themselves out there more?

... on that note, have you seen the things Tyla Nathan-Wong has been doing for an NZ Olympics challenge? Hilarious! :lol: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAr24BpDHJI ... _copy_link


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
sewa wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:
A shame, in a period where there have been records for women's test rugby, in numbers watched and tests played, Tyrells have droped their sponsorship of women's club Rugby in England, which may mean funding cuts.

IMO that's the RFUs fault, half the Tyrells teams when unfollowable. They didn't keep up to date squads, social media interaction was nil and there was no centralisation of scores with try scorers, eve the highlights wouldn't have try scorers if the club themselves didn't label them. It was a poor product. Like to many women's sports the ruling body liked the headlines of gender equality but gave no fucks once the press walked away to write their pieces.

What's worse is clubs with followings, developmental pathways and the grass routes built up for years prior where shoved aside for big name club connections. Despite this Wasps Ladies had almost no connection to Wasps RFC in Coventry (almost more Ealing Ladies) and we lost the likes of Thurrock and Litchfield who had proven histories in the game. Also many places the ladies player was very much out of the way. Add in the ridiculous in-balance in player distribution where a few London clubs absorbed half a class squad to add to their own.

IMO there is no reason why every Elite club game isn't screened on YouTube with a decent camera and at least a stats person who will label each point scored and card gained. HAve ecah club providea commentator who knows who the players are. Start with a decent product, not a press headline to be a success. Growing sports are like gardens, they grow out of grassroots and need maintenance along the way to flourish. They should also have rules about number of academy players in the squads and limit wholesale "buying of players".


Because no one cares you freak


Piss off then and don't enter a thread for Women's Rugby.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Nieghorn wrote:
Fair shouts about lack of effort. Clubs, at least, need to be better at promotion if they truly want the thing to grow.

Some of the social media stuff I see out of NZ is really enjoyable (RFU have done some fun things with both men and women as well, to be fair). Keep it up, though. Get little girls (and boys!) interested in you, make it dead easy to watch, and bombard them with content to keep them interested.

With insta stories and TikToks being the skillset of the millennial, surely someone (or many) in every club has the capacity to put themselves out there more?

... on that note, have you seen the things Tyla Nathan-Wong has been doing for an NZ Olympics challenge? Hilarious! :lol: https://www.instagram.com/p/CAr24BpDHJI ... _copy_link


The RFU promo stuff has been good at the England level. But it is also kinda pointless if it doesn't aid watching the women's game and being able to follow a club you support or what your rivals are doing.

I don't follow sport for interviews and wacky PR segments, I follow sport for the sport and the rest should be aiding my enjoyment of that. Not being a substituting it. I mean I don't think my suggestions above is in any way huge on the resources front. It's basically have 5 Cameras and someone counting the stats at 5 games. You could insist on the stat bit being a requirement of having a team in the women's league.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 3:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 18949
Location: Centre of the Universe
Agreed! Some parents of either Canada or Ontario age grade players were able to set up a live feed with a mobile hotspot and affordable camera equipment. One static at midfield and high could get most action, and it’s how we watch games when we go anyway!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Women's Rugby thread
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Posts: 28251
Just to confirm the new English teams from 2020 onwards will be:

- Bristol Bears Women
- DMP Durham Sharks
- Exeter Chiefs Women
- Gloucester-Hartpury Women
- Harlequins Women
- Loughborough Lightning
- Sale Sharks Women
- Saracens Women
- Wasps FC Ladies
- Worcester Warriors Women

In current news, a lot of moves with the Welsh women. Wales curently have alot of talent but veyr little financial support form the WRU. But laods of them are being picked up over the border. Especially Bristol who traditionally have a number of Welsh players. They currently ahve 8 with half back combo Elinor Snowsil and Keira Bevan, back rowers Manon Johnes (a teen sensation), Alisha Butchers and Welsh captain Siwan Lillicrap. Fullback Lauren Smyth (ad teen who will likely become veyr good) and speedster winger Jasmine Joyce and Rhian Hughes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/53200537

I can see how that's good set-up for the national side.

Other Welsh heavy sides include Sale who have have picked up locks Teleri Wyn Davies,and Gwen Crabb, backrower Mali Quaeck, Hooker Molly Kelly and winger Lisa Neumann. Gloucester have added lock Gwen Crabb to Fly Half Lleucu George, Prop Cerys Hale, hooker Kelsy Jones (whose really impressed since she broke into the Welsh side), Number 8 powerhouse Shona Powell-Hughes and backrower Sian Williams.Worcester have backrowers Alex Callender and Sioned Harries. Scrum half Ffion Lewis.

as an aside, I'm expecting huely improved thinsg at Worcester Warriors. They are laoded with ex U20 players, sorted their quad for next seaosn early, pinched a few player from Bristol and elsewhere and have a highly regaded coach in Jo Yapp. Yapp will be a loss for England's player development as their U20 coach. She has produced wave after wave of players ready for England over the years.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BillW, Flyin Ryan, Google Adsense [Bot], mr bungle, Mr Mike, ovalball and 31 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group