Chat Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:05 pm 

So, I normally believe DIY is God’s way of saying you should have listened more at school and got a better paid job so you could employ tradesmen, rather than bodging it yourself. However, these are not normal times. I can’t be the only one out there doing DIY now fixing all the little annoying jobs round the house like loose bog roll holders and cracks and wardrobe doors that don’t close perfectly.

What DIY success stories have peeps out there done these past two weeks? I’m running a bit low on things left to do seeing I can’t get to a Screwfix or wickes. Anyone out there doing a huge Sards braai or decent project ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:32 pm 

Am going to build a Brick Pizza oven/ Barbecue at the bottom of my garden
I have a few thousand Stock bricks in my lock up that I have accumulated over the
Years.
I plan on using Engineering Bricks for the inside and base of oven.
Should be ok for a few times a year.
Going to dig out the footings tomorrow.
Have watched a few Youtube videos,and nicked the best ideas and have afew of my
Own.
Luckily ,unlike most of them, I can actually lay a brick !
Have selected pair of jeans that will show off my arse crack
to maximum advantage!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:43 pm 

flashman wrote:
Am going to build a Brick Pizza oven/ Barbecue at the bottom of my garden
I have a few thousand Stock bricks in my lock up that I have accumulated over the
Years.
I plan on using Engineering Bricks for the inside and base of oven.
Should be ok for a few times a year.
Going to dig out the footings tomorrow.
Have watched a few Youtube videos,and nicked the best ideas and have afew of my
Own.
Luckily ,unlike most of them, I can actually lay a brick !
Have selected pair of jeans that will show off my arse crack
to maximum advantage!

Do a rule 1 before you start and again when you finish - don’t bother with the arse crack rule 1 though

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:45 am 

You're making excuses yeeb. Screwfix are click and collect/delivery and many smaller builders merchants are open and delivering.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:47 am 

happyhooker wrote:
You're making excuses yeeb. Screwfix are click and collect/delivery and many smaller builders merchants are open and delivering.

Sutton one was closed and the website was freezing / crashing even when I could find some polyfilla.
Didn’t spend much time on it tbf and I’m going to Costco later this week so will get some there.

Don’t really know about smaller merchants , the one in WP became flats about 2 years ago, I used to pop in there for caulk and handles and other little bits.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:02 am 

I have been trying to paint my new log cabin with Sikkens but all the paint suppliers are shut. :x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am 

Gospel wrote:
I have been trying to paint my new log cabin with Sikkens but all the paint suppliers are shut. :x

My local one is open

Have you tried thepaintstore.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 am 

Gospel wrote:

Dulux are delivering if that helps?

I’ve nearly finished a complete annexe for my mum to live in, bathroom kitchen the lot. It’s basically a bungalow. Is it cheating if I’m a builder?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:14 am 

Although I'm finding it hard to source some trellis. Some little scrotes have taken to jumping over our back wall.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:14 am 

My pal is a manager at HSS so I’m going to see if I can can some stuff from him, he gives us free gas for the braai

Just looked at ‘shall i paint my pebble dashed house’ and what it entails, have decided ‘No’

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:28 am 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Gospel wrote:

I’ve nearly finished a complete annexe for my mum to live in, bathroom kitchen the lot. It’s basically a bungalow. Is it cheating if I’m a builder?

Yes it's cheating. We will need pics of course.

The cabin suppliers recommended Sikkens. I'd actually paid for the paint but then the shut down hit and their supplier Brewers shut up shop so I've had to source elsewhere. I managed to get 5L of Sikkens Rubbol Primer Plus from Wood Finishes Direct just before they stopped taking orders. Absolutely no hope of getting 10L of mixed colour top coat though. As an aside looking forward to trying out my fancy Wagner Airless once I get the cutting in done. I bet a make a complete mess of it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:37 am 

So, I’m going through my belongings of ‘use it up or chuck it’ - am so bored I just finished a can of ‘back to black’ tyre dressing kit piece of shite I won as a prize at a school raffle.

Nowt says ‘made it’ more than an 8 year old Zafira gleaming in the sun with shiny black tyres :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:38 am 

Oh and yes, not my first internet Back to Black blah blah etc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:46 am 

backrow wrote:
So, I’m going through my belongings of ‘use it up or chuck it’ - am so bored I just finished a can of ‘back to black’ tyre dressing kit piece of shite I won as a prize at a school raffle.

Nowt says ‘made it’ more than an 8 year old Zafira gleaming in the sun with shiny black tyres :roll:

Please don't be one of those people. :(

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:49 am 

fatcat wrote:
backrow wrote:

Soz didn’t realise that was a thing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:49 am 

happyhooker wrote:
Although I'm finding it hard to source some trellis. Some little scrotes have taken to jumping over our back wall.

Nails through a board on the floor Death Wish-stylee?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:54 am 

backrow wrote:
fatcat wrote:
backrow wrote:

Maybe it's just me that finds it annoying as f*ck.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:58 am 

Gospel wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Gospel wrote:

Yes it's cheating. We will need pics of course.

The cabin suppliers recommended Sikkens. I'd actually paid for the paint but then the shut down hit and their supplier Brewers shut up shop so I've had to source elsewhere. I managed to get 5L of Sikkens Rubbol Primer Plus from Wood Finishes Direct just before they stopped taking orders. Absolutely no hope of getting 10L of mixed colour top coat though. As an aside looking forward to trying out my fancy Wagner Airless once I get the cutting in done. I bet a make a complete mess of it.

Dulux will-
They send it from Nottingham.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:59 am 

fatcat wrote:
backrow wrote:
fatcat wrote:
backrow wrote:

Car adverts that start “Here we have...”

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:01 pm 

Sandstorm wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I have sand, cement and god knows we're going through enough glass atmo.

The people we share the wall with won't let me😥

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:01 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Dulux will-

Their website is no longer taking orders more's the pity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:04 pm 

happyhooker wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
happyhooker wrote:

I have sand, cement and god knows we're going through enough glass atmo.

The people we share the wall with won't let me😥

Carpet gripper, stick that bad boy on it. I’ll hear them scream from here :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:06 pm 

Gospel wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Dulux will-

I’ll ask the painter, he said yesterday they’re doing it. Maybe trade only?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:27 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Gospel wrote:
DragsterDriver wrote:
Dulux will-

I’ll ask the painter, he said yesterday they’re doing it. Maybe trade only?

It would be understandable if the latter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:29 pm 

The Wickes beside where I live seems to be still be open, although it may well be trade only. Didn't look closely enough to see which entrance was open.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:00 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
fatcat wrote:
backrow wrote:
fatcat wrote:
backrow wrote:

Car adverts that start “Here we have...”

I don't have a TV. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:31 pm 

I'm tempted to teach myself to weld semi competently. I make a fair bit out of wood but metalwork has always eluded me. I'd need a cheapy arc welder (apparently better to learn on than a MIG) and either a metal cutting blade for my table saw or an angle grinder.

Then the question is what would I actually make?

The alternative is to make that planned chicken coop out of spare ply and CLS I have kicking around...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:31 pm 

I've stripped out all the old grout from the back patio and re-grouted with fresh stuff, and taken up the front path, broken up the sub-surface with an Irish pogo stick and relayed the new front path with fresh slabs, edging bricks and grout. Power washed the walls around the raised beds around the back, too. Front and back now look perfect 👌 Also installed a swing for the little one now we can't go to the park at the end if the road. I've run out of sand, but need to repoint under the roof tiles on the gable end when I get some more. Then it's onto the inside...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:44 pm 

Out of interest what grout did you use for the patio tiles? I have the exact same chore to do, after a decade or so and a thorough de-weed the limestone slabs are a bit loose in places - amazing how grass can get purchase to grow there when there is no soil .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:45 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
The Wickes beside where I live seems to be still be open, although it may well be trade only. Didn't look closely enough to see which entrance was open.

Not the first time you’ve gone on about checking tradesmen entrances near a large port tbf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:28 pm 

backrow wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

Not the first time you’ve gone on about checking tradesmen entrances near a large port tbf

I phrased it that way just for you. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:37 pm 

backrow wrote:
Out of interest what grout did you use for the patio tiles? I have the exact same chore to do, after a decade or so and a thorough de-weed the limestone slabs are a bit loose in places - amazing how grass can get purchase to grow there when there is no soil .

Resin-based ones eg. Marshalls Weatherpoint 365, although if you have sand/cement grout in other parts of the patio of the patio and don't want to chip it all out and start again....go for sand/cement mix again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:48 pm 

Nolanator wrote:
backrow wrote:
Nolanator wrote:

I phrased it that way just for you. :thumbup:

Of course
:roll:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:23 pm 

backrow wrote:

Joints are about 1cm, so just did a dry 4:1 sand and cement mix (tiny wet of the top when finished and a jointing tool to give a nice look to them) as I already had them in the the garage and we're planning on moving house when all this is over. Didn't want to spend any money on it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:47 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
backrow wrote:

Resin-based ones eg. Marshalls Weatherpoint 365, although if you have sand/cement grout in other parts of the patio of the patio and don't want to chip it all out and start again....go for sand/cement mix again.

Why would you have to chip it all out ? I was just going to fill the cracks with the paste by using my large pointing tool (fnar)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:53 am 

Sandstorm wrote:
backrow wrote:

No matter what you use it becomes like painting the Forth Road Bridge. The cost of some of these resin based materials is pretty restrictive on a large patio and they really aren't that much better.

As you say, sand/cement, correctly mixed and applied. Remember to add a touch of washing up liquid.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:59 am 

BlackMac wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
backrow wrote:

No matter what you use it becomes like painting the Forth Road Bridge. The cost of some of these resin based materials is pretty restrictive on a large patio and they really aren't that much better.

As you say, sand/cement, correctly mixed and applied. Remember to add a touch of washing up liquid.

Why the washing up liquid ? Sorry for all these questions but I’m a DIY spaz and know none of these tips (recall my thread when I couldn’t change my car tyre as couldn’t work out how the locking nut thing worked as was different to my previous car)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:11 am 

backrow wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
backrow wrote:

Why the washing up liquid ? Sorry for all these questions but I’m a DIY spaz and know none of these tips (recall my thread when I couldn’t change my car tyre as couldn’t work out how the locking nut thing worked as was different to my previous car)

It's a cheap alternative to a concrete plasticiser. It improves the workability and stability of the mix. Another tip is to pour/paint a PVA mix into the joints and let it dry. This helps the mortar adhere to the slabs.

Just a tablespoon to each bucket of mortar mix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:15 am 

BlackMac wrote:
backrow wrote:
BlackMac wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
backrow wrote:

It's a cheap alternative to a concrete plasticiser. It improves the workability and stability of the mix. Another tip is to pour/paint a PVA mix into the joints and let it dry. This helps the mortar adhere to the slabs.

Just a tablespoon to each bucket of mortar mix

Ta
:thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:18 am 

I’ve not read a single post in this fred but I’ll ask regardless: backrow, how’s the uptown not wanking going?