Rebels 2018 Thread

All things Rugby
ElementFreak

Rebels 2018 Thread

Post by ElementFreak »

The HP brothers have signed on for 2 years.

New coach as well, hopefully he can do what the Rebels failed to do last year and play an attractive style of rugby that wins games.
fraz

Re: Rebels 2018 Thread

Post by fraz »

ElementFreak wrote:The HP brothers have signed on for 2 years.

New coach as well, hopefully he can do what the Rebels failed to do last year and play an attractive style of rugby that wins games.
Comfortably the best head coach in Australia right now, and some good signings to boot. They're a good flyhalf away from finishing second or even top of the conference. Hopefully it's Jono Lance.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

fraz wrote:

Comfortably the best head coach in Australia right now, and some good signings to boot. They're a good flyhalf away from finishing second or even top of the conference. Hopefully it's Jono Lance.
Jono Lance and Adam Coleman... Suddenly starts looking like a team.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Dumbledore wrote:
fraz wrote:

The Eastern Force
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

kiap wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
fraz wrote:

The Eastern Force
:lol: What's it shaping up as, something like?

Ainsley
Uelese
Faulkner
?
Timani
RHP
Fainga'a
Mafi

Genia
?
Koroibete
Hodge
English
Sefa (until he breaks)
DHP
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Hookers:
Hanson
Siliva
Uelese

Props:
Ainsley
Daley
Faulkner
Sa'aga
Talakai
Weeks

Locks:
Cummins
Jeffries
Parling
Toolis

Backrowers:
Fainga'a
Haylett-Petty
Leota
Mafi
Timani

Scrum Halves:
Genia
Goddard
Stirzaker

Fly Halves:
McGregor
Lance

Centers:
Horwitz
Hodge
Tuipuluto
English

Back Three:
Sefa
Koroibete
Hutchison
Maddocks
Haylett Petty
Tupou

Apparently the list is looking like this.
comets

Post by comets »

that back 3 (marika, dane.sefa) could be the deadliest in australia next season...provided sefa does not break again... he is beginning to look a lot like cam Shepard :/
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

He did it last year with the Force, so I don't see why not. Are there any more new signings for 2018, apart from Genia and the H-P brothers? ... hold on, I just spotted Element's post - but EF, you forgot Sefa N, so the list is even stronger at present than you have shown.

A couple of questions: is that Parling Geoff Parling? Is Goddard at 9 the Goddard who captained ACT Schoolboys this year? And I take it that Hutchison is the Henry Hutchison who played for Australia
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

mightyreds wrote:

He did it last year with the Force, so I don't see why not. Are there any more new signings for 2018, apart from Genia and the H-P brothers? ... hold on, I just spotted Element's post - but EF, you forgot Sefa N, so the list is even stronger at present than you have shown.

A couple of questions: is that Parling Geoff Parling? Is Goddard at 9 the Goddard who captained ACT Schoolboys this year? And I take it that Hutchison is the Henry Hutchison who played for Australia
Before the computer bounced be out I was saying that Hutchison is a very fast and elusive winger. That's a dynamite backline, especially if you put SN at 13.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

If Coleman rounds out that pack it's a decent side.
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

The Mighty McMahon will leave a huge gap, though. Will be interesting to see where the other good Force backs go (eg Rona, Peni, Meakes, Newsome) - to another franchise, the IPRC or(hopefully not) somewhere else.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Dumbledore wrote:
kiap wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
fraz wrote:

The Eastern Force
:lol: What's it shaping up as, something like?

Ainsley
Uelese
Faulkner
?
Timani
RHP
Fainga'a
Mafi

Genia
?
Koroibete
Hodge
English
Sefa (until he breaks)
DHP
Is Ainsley not a tighthead?
Faulkner plays both sides I think but has played mostly tighthead of late to accommodate Cowen.
Add in Coleman and Lance and that is a great side.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

EF I was going to start a similar thread!! Cheers.

As others said, a good coach, great squad and so much depth. We probably have too many players in some positions so some of the young/fringe players probably won't get much game time.

EF, you missed Jordy Reid.
And they signed Richard Hardwick few weeks ago.

Read today that TPN can't find a super rugby contract in Australia. Such a shame a player like that in that situation. Wish Rebels had a spot for him.

So I'm thinking a matchday 23 like this

Ainsley/Talakai
Hanson/Uelese
Faulkner/Weks
Jeffries/Cummins
Parling
RHP/Timani
Hardwick/Faingaa/Reid
Mafi
Genia
Jono Lance
Koroibete
Hodge
English
Sefa
DHP

Ainsley/Talakai
Hanson/Uelese
Faulkner/Weks
Jeffries/Cummins/Toolis
RHP/Timani/Hardwick/Faingaa/Reid
Stirzacker/Goddard
Horwitz
Maddocks/Pama Fou/Henry Hutchinson

That's a bloody good looking team. And I think we will probably get Coleman too.

Because of so much depth, promising guys like Saaga, Tupai, Leota, McGregor, Sione Tuipulutu, Maddocks, Pama Fou, Henry Hutchinson, etc probably won't get much game time.

Stirzacker and one of the no 7s will probably leave after next season I reckon. Stirzacker has been disappointing and he's too small for a pro rugby player. I was down there for a NRC game when I went to Melbourne recently and I couldn't believe how skinny he was. For a guy that's been playing pro rugby for a few years that's not good enough. It's really not that difficult to add a bit of muscle if you eat right and hit weights.
Last edited by TranceNRG on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Surely we are in wiht a good chance of making the semis next year with the coach and the squad!
village

Post by village »

Carn the Eastern Force! I'm adopting you guys as my new Super Rugby side. Sorry in advance.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

village wrote:Carn the Eastern Force! I'm adopting you guys as my new Super Rugby side. Sorry in advance.
:thumbup:
comets

Post by comets »

Rebels starting to look like the Australian rebels (before they got players from outside australia)..hodge now has to play 10 cause DHP is the better fullback and wings are covered with marika/sefa/Ratu
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

comets wrote:Rebels starting to look like the Australian rebels (before they got players from outside australia)..hodge now has to play 10 cause DHP is the better fullback and wings are covered with marika/sefa/Ratu
I think he'll play 12, wing or fullback. We have signed Lance who's a decent 10. Jack McGregor had a decent NRC season as well and is developing well.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Plenty of blokes smaller than Stirzaker do a perfectly good job of being international scrumhalves. Size isn't an excuse, he's just shite.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

fraz wrote:Plenty of blokes smaller than Stirzaker do a perfectly good job of bring international scrumhalves. Size isn't an excuse, he's just shite.
I can't think of a scrumhalf smaller (I'm not talking about height here) than Stirzacker in super rugby. Yes he's an average player but his size plays a part especially in defence. When you are a skinny bloke with hardly any muscle trying to tackle 100kg+ forwards is probably not easy. Anyway I couldn't believe how smalll he was seeing him in real life. Your average gym rat is bigger than him. It's like he's never touched weights.
kiap

Post by kiap »

TranceNRG wrote:
fraz wrote:Plenty of blokes smaller than Stirzaker do a perfectly good job of bring international scrumhalves. Size isn't an excuse, he's just shite.
I can't think of a scrumhalf smaller (I'm not talking about height here) than Stirzacker in super rugby. Yes he's an average player but his size plays a part especially in defence. When you are a skinny bloke with hardly any muscle trying to tackle 100kg+ forwards is probably not easy. Anyway I couldn't believe how smalll he was seeing him in real life. Your average gym rat is bigger than him. It's like he's never touched weights.
Goes for any halfback (except maybe a Mike Phillips type at 100kg+ himself).

I mean, this bloke ain't exactly The Incredible Hulk either:

TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Goes for any halfback, really? :?
When was that photo taken? I'd say Powell is comfortably bigger than Stirzacker and he's much younger and only been playing pro rugby for a couple of years so he's got a few years to fill out.
I never said a scrumhlaf had to be 100Kg but most scrumhalves playing pro rugby are 80kg+ and have some muscle on them. These guys have access to nutritionists, strength and conditioning coaches, don't have any other jobs, earn good money so no excuse to look like weaklings.

Gregan I think from memory was only about 75kg but he was shorter and was very strong (carried a fair bit of muscle).
Last edited by TranceNRG on Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
fraz

Post by fraz »

TranceNRG wrote:Goes for any halfback, really? :? When was that photo taken? I'd say Powell is comfortably bigger than Stirzacker and he's much younger and only been playing pro rugby for a couple of years.
I never said a scrumhlaf had to be 100Kg but most scrumhalves playing pro rugby are 80kg+ and have some muscle on them.
Literally eight weeks ago.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Photo would have been around two months ago. That heritage jersey didn't exist before the 2017 NRC.

Neither Powell nor Stirzaker would be more than a few kegs over 80 kg.

And it's only the small forwards that weigh 100kg these days. Put another 10 kegs or 15 or 20+ on top.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

My point is still valid and Stirzacker is no way 80kgs. As I said I went to the game and saw the players after the game was standing right next to him. I'm only about 78kgs and Stirzacker is much skinnier (very skinny legs as well).

Whilst Powell isn't exactly a strong looking scrumhalf, the comparison with him is not fair as he's only been playing pro rugby for a couple of years.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

TranceNRG wrote:
Tanaka?

He's much smaller. Shits all over his redness from a great height though.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Zakar wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
Tanaka?

Fair enough, that's one but he's also a lot shorter and he probably is stronger than Stirzacker. Anyways lets move on from Stirzacker's skinny frame.
fraz

Post by fraz »

White's only 80kg or so. Conradie was way smaller. He's not a scrum-half but Gio Aplon is significantly smaller than Stirzaker.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

TranceNRG wrote:
Zakar wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
Tanaka?

Fair enough, that's one but he's also a lot shorter and he probably is stronger than Stirzacker. Anyways lets move on from Stirzacker's skinny frame.
Yeah. For context, Mr After David is 10cm shorter and 3kgs heavier according to wiki. I'm the same height as the rang and was 95kgs at my peak, doubt there was much a difference in bf% either.

This is shaping up to be a much improved side...problem is, all the Aussie squads look much better as a result of the cull. Where do rebels fans see this team in the log in 2018.

As a totally non biased neutral I'm guessing it will look something like

1. Heroic Canberra Wild Horsies
2. Unimaginativly named Queenslanders
3. Mexican Revolutionaries
4. Sin City flowers
5. Crack foxes
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

I see Rebels finishing in top 2 of the Australian conference. I reckon it'll be between them and Brumbies.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

TranceNRG wrote:
Reid isn't signed on IIRC.

I got the list from GAGR.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

ElementFreak wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
Reid isn't signed on IIRC.

I got the list from GAGR.
Really??? He's a very good super rugby player but I guess with Faingaa and Hardwick they have 2 very good no 7s.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Surprised no one's mentioned Aaron Smith. 83kg dripping wet and arguably the best halfback in the world.

Looking forward to heading to AAMI next season and not fighting the passing tumbleweed for a seat.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

jdogscoop wrote:Surprised no one's mentioned Aaron Smith. 83kg dripping wet and arguably the best halfback in the world.

Looking forward to heading to AAMI next season and not fighting the passing tumbleweed for a seat.
1. He was mentioned
2. He's also 10cm shorter than Rednut yet the same weight, so therefore much more nuggerty.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Smith looks so much stronger than the weak ranga.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Zakar wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:Surprised no one's mentioned Aaron Smith. 83kg dripping wet and arguably the best halfback in the world.

1. He was mentioned

Only once though.

#disrespect
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Zakar wrote:

1. He was mentioned
2. He's also 10cm shorter than Rednut yet the same weight, so therefore much more nuggerty.
Ah right, the old Mr After David reference. Righto. That aside, Stirzaker has gone right off the boil to be fair.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

jdogscoop wrote:
Zakar wrote:

1. He was mentioned
Ah right, the old Mr After David reference. Righto. That aside, Stirzaker has gone right off the boil to be fair.
Young scrumhalf Harrison Goddard is the future mate.
fraz

Post by fraz »

TranceNRG wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Zakar wrote:

1. He was mentioned
M8. Ryan Lonergan.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

fraz wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
jdogscoop wrote:
Zakar wrote:

1. He was mentioned
M8. Ryan Lonergan.
:o Was talking about Rebels but yeah there are some exciting youngsters coming through the ranks. How did Tuttle go in NRC this year?

I'd have one of the Webern Force scrumhalves instead of Stirzacker.