Rebels 2018 Thread

All things Rugby
fraz

Re: Rebels 2018 Thread

Post by fraz »

TranceNRG wrote:
I'd have one of the Webern Force scrumhalves instead of Stirzacker.
I'd have four of the Western Force scrumhalves instead of Stirzaker, and I only know of three.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Focus your attention one position further out for a moment and let us all rejoice at the fact Garden-Bachop, J. is now a Hurricane.

:smug:
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

jdogscoop wrote:Focus your attention one position further out for a moment and let us all rejoice at the fact Garden-Bachop, J. is now a Hurricane.

:smug:
Apparently he's been having a great season in ITM cup? In any case Jono Lance would be an upgrade. He and Genia should do well to steer the awesome looking backline.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Yes he's been on fire for Wellington in the Mitre 10 Cup campaign which tells me two things. 1. It's a lower level than Super Rugby and 2. there's an awesome rugby player doing a more than serviceable impression of Jackson Garden-Bachop on a weekly basis.

That noted, apparently he had a James Blunt of a game against Canada at the weekend off the bench which tells me the impressionist was unavailable.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

TranceNRG wrote:
ElementFreak wrote:
TranceNRG wrote:
EF, you missed Jordy Reid.
And they signed Richard Hardwick few weeks ago.
Reid isn't signed on IIRC.

I got the list from GAGR.
Really??? He's a very good super rugby player but I guess with Faingaa and Hardwick they have 2 very good no 7s.
Yeah, as far as I remember he was only signed until the ned of 2017. Plus he broke his back last year so not sure where he is on the rehab of that.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

jdogscoop wrote:Yes he's been on fire for Wellington in the Mitre 10 Cup campaign which tells me two things. 1. It's a lower level than Super Rugby and 2. there's an awesome rugby player doing a more than serviceable impression of Jackson Garden-Bachop on a weekly basis.

That noted, apparently he had a James Blunt of a game against Canada at the weekend off the bench which tells me the impressionist was unavailable.
Maybe he was only ever going to be a very good ITM cup player? I remember him having a good season the year before he signed for the Rebels, then just never looked comfortable at the next level.
Moncreif

Post by Moncreif »

ElementFreak wrote:Hookers:
Hanson
Siliva
Uelese

Props:
Ainsley
Daley
Faulkner
Sa'aga
Talakai
Weeks

Locks:
Cummins
Jeffries
Parling
Toolis

Backrowers:
Fainga'a
Haylett-Petty
Leota
Mafi
Timani

Scrum Halves:
Genia
Goddard
Stirzaker

Fly Halves:
McGregor
Lance

Centers:
Horwitz
Hodge
Tuipuluto
English

Back Three:
Sefa
Koroibete
Hutchison
Maddocks
Haylett Petty
Tupou

Apparently the list is looking like this.
Definitely a strong looking squad. A big challenge for new coach Wessels (and I assume his new coaching team) will be how long he gets with them.

He won't have Koroibete, Hodge, Genia, Uelese, Faulkner and Timani until the new year after their enforced break following the Wallaby tour. Add in likely signings Coleman and Meakes and Rona who are rumoured to be going there (not sure about Phillip).

Then there are the injured players, admittedly I am not sure of the severity of each injury and when they will be back. That's both Haylett-Petty brothers, Tupou, Sefa, Colby (?), Ainsley and possibly others.

Then there are the late arrivers in Mafi and Parling. Not sure when HAnson and Lance (tbc) would arrive following their jaunts in the UK too.
kearnstar

Post by kearnstar »

Hope Maddocks gets good time, he looks like a real prospect
Farva

Post by Farva »

Has the ARU relented on salary cap / squad sizes?

I think the Rebels need another lock (ideally Coleman). And another back row (Ideally Hardwick).
The ARU should not have let them sign Parling, and instead either signed Philip or Arnold.
Im also annoyed that the ARU found money to bring back Genia, while there are three Force scrum halves, all of which are very good, without a contract, and yet couldnt find the money to keep the Force.

A 15 of:

Faulkner
Ulese
Ainsley
Arnold
Coleman
RHP
Hardwick
Mafi

Genia
Lance
Sefa
Hodge
English
Koribiete
DHP

Hansen
Daley
Weeks
Cummins
Fa'ainga
Stirzaker
Horwitz
Maddocks

Looks really, really good.
fraz

Post by fraz »

If you look only at the playing roster, the Brumbies are set to have comfortably the worst lineup in Australia next year.
Farva

Post by Farva »

fraz wrote:If you look only at the playing roster, the Brumbies are set to have comfortably the worst lineup in Australia next year.
Wessels is a great coach, but I hope he has also bought with him his assistants.
They were what made the Force last season.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Farva wrote:
fraz wrote:If you look only at the playing roster, the Brumbies are set to have comfortably the worst lineup in Australia next year.
Wessels is a great coach, but I hope he has also bought with him his assistants.
They were what made the Force last season.
If he can do with the Rebels what he did with the Force, that's a 2019 championship team.
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

Any news on where Coleman is going yet? It had been stated many times that he was going to the Rebels if Dave Wessels went there.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Courier Mail reporting that the Rebels have signed Philip and Coleman.
Moncreif

Post by Moncreif »

Rebels are building a conference winning squad and organisation.

Probably the least deserving conference winning team ever.

Have cost the game shedloads of money. Should have been cut ahead of the Force. Will make no impact in Melbourne.

And they get rewarded for it all.

What a f**king crock.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Moncreif wrote:Rebels are building a conference winning squad and organisation.

Have cost the game shedloads of money. Should have been cut ahead of the Force. Will make no impact in Melbourne.

What a f**king crock.
Storm 2.0
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Yeah it sucks that the Force got cut, but those players have to go somewhere and seeing as the Rebels didn't sign anyone whilst their future was unsure they have the spots in their squad for all of these players.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

:smug: Handy looking squad coming into shape. Can see those corporate boxes selling out already .

Just on Stirzaker, he's literally my size and I'm not exactly cut out to play professional rugby. Should have been picked for the Wallabies in 2015, when he was the form scrumhalf in the country, or years before then when it was blindingly obvious that he was better than Phipps. Injuries have got to him and he hasn't kicked on. Reckon players have a pretty small window to really kick on, and he missed his. He should go pick up his retirement cheque in Japan and enjoy it. I like Goddard a lot, and Genia is far from the worst person for him to learn behind.
kiap

Post by kiap »

ElementFreak wrote:they have the spots in their squad for all of these players.
I smell bullshit.

How many players are signed?

How many spots are there in the squad?

How many dollars are there in the salary cap?
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Jordy officially going back to Shute Shield with manly next year, wasn't offered a contract by the Rebels and a few teams were scared away due to his broken back which is a shame. He was turning into a very good SR player and I would have liked to see him make the step up to the next level. Really nice guy as well.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

kiap wrote:
I smell bullshit.

kiap

Post by kiap »

Dumbledore wrote:
kiap wrote:
I smell bullshit.

I've lost my Teeeenderness

How many competition games did the Rebels and Rising, combined, win this year?

(Actually don't answer that, it's 2 ... from 23)
shanky

Post by shanky »

Moncreif wrote:Rebels are building a conference winning squad and organisation.

What a f**king crock.
Yeah. Pretty much this.

But it’s all behind us now, for the good of the game

/Horan/Eales apologist mode
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

kiap wrote:
Dumbledore wrote:
kiap wrote:
I smell bullshit.

I've lost my Teeeenderness

How many competition games did the Rebels and Rising, combined, win this year?

(Actually don't answer that, it's 2 ... from 23)
Temporary setback. We out here

kiap

Post by kiap »

:thumbup: Yeah, well good luck to the Eastern Force.

Let's hope they get a few paying punters through the gates to pay the boys.

And that slimy reptile Rob Clarke doesn't get a cut.
comets

Post by comets »

would like to see Hodge at 10 next season (DHP at 15)

9. Genia
10. Hodge
11. Marika
12. Lance/English
13. Naivalu
14. English/Hutchison/Maddocks
15. DHP
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Na. If Lance gets signed I'd rather see him at 10.
comets

Post by comets »

Zakar wrote:Na. If Lance gets signed I'd rather see him at 10.
oz need a long term 10, Hodge is like 23, Foley nearing 30, Lance as well, they need to plan for the future, QC is also 30......... they have to develop 2020 beyond.... Chieka will want him at 10 for the Rubbles
fraz

Post by fraz »

comets wrote:
Zakar wrote:Na. If Lance gets signed I'd rather see him at 10.
oz need a long term 10, Hodge is like 23, Foley nearing 30, Lance as well, they need to plan for the future, QC is also 30......... they have to develop 2020 beyond.... Chieka will want him at 10 for the Rubbles
If QC is unequivocally unwanted (as he seems to be), the Reds should be starting to transition to Hamish Stewart next season. Get Quade to take him under his wing, and make sure he gets plenty of time off the bench, maybe give him starts against the Sunwolves and Waratahs. The Brumbies should be getting Lealiifano to do the same thing with Hansen. Cheika should maybe have a sit down with Hawera and see if he's interested in the Wallabies long term but frankly, I don't think he's got the kind of quality we're looking for. He'd be another Foley at best.
comets

Post by comets »

good talent there but i doubt they have signed that fullback yet, he is faster than Koroibete, if they get him, that will be something.
Melbourne Rebels team v Verblitz:

Tom Moloney
Brandon Paenga-Amosa
Fereti Sa’aga
Alex Toolis
Sam Jeffries
Jock Armstrong
Ikapote Tupai
Rob Leota (captain)
Harrison Goddard
Tayler Adams
Henry Hutchison
David Horwitz
Sione Tuipulotu
Latu Latunipulu
Kitione Ratu

Reserves

Siliva Siliva
Rory O’Connor
Sam Needs
Jason Havea
David Hickey
Mahe Vailanu
Maradona Farao
Jack McGregor
Hunter Paisami
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

That's very much the B/C team but there's some good talent there. Exciting times. Ratu had a good NRC season.
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

Unlike the short-sighted people on here, I am very excited about the presence of the Rebels, as Melbourne is the most important city in rugby's development, ie the sporting capital of Australia, and any sport which gets a good footprint there is made nationally. The Rebels got a franchise there, but with virtually nil support for promoting the game; hence it has almost nil profile there - in the early days, rugby writers who went to Melbourne asked the Rebels' directors why there were no hoardings or billboards carrying the face of a big name Rebels star, eg, Beale or O'Connor, and the answer was, 'No money.' Melbourne friends confirm the Rebels are virtually invisible to the public eye: '30 secs per week on the sports news' was how one friend summed up their total profile.

However, sports-mad Melbourne loves a winner, and if they won a SR title, or got to a final, it would definitely get them some serious notice - here's a city where people were naming their babies after Wallabies when Australia won the 1991 RWC.

2 comments about the squad: I see a huge lift in their chances next year with the Parling/Coleman lock partnership, given how lame their tight five were this year. Sam Jeffries must be the most over-hyped Australian youngster to hit the scene since Rodney Blake. He makes Sam Carter look ferocious.

And Comets, who is the fullback who's faster than Koroibete? - I'd like to see that! And given that they already have Maddocks to play fullback (definitely a Wallaby of the future), that news makes them look very rich at 15.
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

I am excite about this squad. Looking forward to the rebels "dominating" the aussie conference in 2018. Also hoping this is the resurgence of the Melbourne cabal.
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

mightyreds wrote:Unlike the short-sighted people on here, I am very excited about the presence of the Rebels, as Melbourne is the most important city in rugby's development, ie the sporting capital of Australia, and any sport which gets a good footprint there is made nationally. The Rebels got a franchise there, but with virtually nil support for promoting the game; hence it has almost nil profile there - in the early days, rugby writers who went to Melbourne asked the Rebels' directors why there were no hoardings or billboards carrying the face of a big name Rebels star, eg, Beale or O'Connor, and the answer was, 'No money.' Melbourne friends confirm the Rebels are virtually invisible to the public eye: '30 secs per week on the sports news' was how one friend summed up their total profile.

However, sports-mad Melbourne loves a winner, and if they won a SR title, or got to a final, it would definitely get them some serious notice - here's a city where people were naming their babies after Wallabies when Australia won the 1991 RWC.

2 comments about the squad: I see a huge lift in their chances next year with the Parling/Coleman lock partnership, given how lame their tight five were this year. Sam Jeffries must be the most over-hyped Australian youngster to hit the scene since Rodney Blake. He makes Sam Carter look ferocious.

And Comets, who is the fullback who's faster than Koroibete? - I'd like to see that! And given that they already have Maddocks to play fullback (definitely a Wallaby of the future), that news makes them look very rich at 15.
There are a few things you wrote that I disagree with. It's wrong to suggest there's nil support for rugby in Melbourne. Rugby has a rich history in Victoria and there's enough rugby presence in Melbourne although it's much smaller than AFL or soccer. There's a loyal rugby fan base and a large number of casual fans. In the past, rugby test matches got decent crowds and Rebels were averaging over 15K initially. Crowds became smaller in the last few years because they were losing most of the games. I'm sure we finally have a squad and a good coach to change all that. Crowds will be back when they start winning regularly. You are absolutely right though that Melbourne being one of the biggest cities in SH needs to have a professional rugby team. Had Melbourne lost the team, they would have found it hard to recover whereas Rugby in WA won't be damaged to the same extent without Force due to lack of competition from other sports.

I am not sure why you think Jeffries is a shit lock. I thought he played reasonably well before he got injured (I think he didn't play at all this year due to injuries).

The player Comets was talking about is probably Ratu who mostly played on the wing for Rising in NRC. I thought he had a good season. But I'd imagine DHP and Maddocks will be fighting for that starting spot. We also have Henry Hutchinson and Pama Fou in the backs. So lots of depth!
comets

Post by comets »

I have known kitione Ratu for a few years now, he is rapid, definitely faster than Marika, an actual sprinter..can also play 10 and kick goals (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8XQLKqy5io)...possibly another future fijian wallaby (just behind Daugunu) ..Fiji f**ked it up by not retaining him ...
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

mightyreds wrote: 2 comments about the squad: I see a huge lift in their chances next year with the Parling/Coleman lock partnership, given how lame their tight five were this year. Sam Jeffries must be the most over-hyped Australian youngster to hit the scene since Rodney Blake. He makes Sam Carter look ferocious.
Jeffries didn't play this year as he was injured for the entire season.
Farva

Post by Farva »

comets wrote:I have known kitione Ratu for a few years now, he is rapid, definitely faster than Marika, an actual sprinter..can also play 10 and kick goals (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8XQLKqy5io)...possibly another future fijian wallaby (just behind Daugunu) ..Fiji f**ked it up by not retaining him ...
What is his 100m time? 9.7s? 9.8s?
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Farva wrote:
comets wrote:I have known kitione Ratu for a few years now, he is rapid, definitely faster than Marika, an actual sprinter..can also play 10 and kick goals (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8XQLKqy5io)...possibly another future fijian wallaby (just behind Daugunu) ..Fiji f**ked it up by not retaining him ...
8.3, on grass, in socks.
Dumbledore

Post by Dumbledore »

Farva wrote:
9.3. Barefoot on grass. Would have been even faster otherwise.
comets

Post by comets »

hilarious, just go find his highlights of tries scored this year in the NRC, (its on fox, blocked for me so can't help) he is rapid, against the Fiji Drua he scored one of the best tries..