Saudi

All things Rugby
Stu Wilsons gloves

Re: Saudi

Post by Stu Wilsons gloves »

ticketlessinseattle wrote:
Stu Wilsons gloves wrote:Anyhow, good move from the young prince, taking a leaf out of Xi Jinping's book. Start up an anti-corruption drive that takes out your political rivals - kudos.

Be interesting to see how far his liberalising will go, before pushback from the religious nutters starts.
how liberalizing is he though ? anyone figure out why he started the war in Yemen other than a power play with Iran ?
Well not compared to western norms, but it's all relative.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Ellafan wrote:Here we go: VC's won at Rorke's drift:

Lt Chard - military professional
Lt Bromhead - the only one approaching Turdboat's disrespectful description. Understood the value of massed volley fire. May have been genetically stupid, but knew the drills.
Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
What a strange post........ I am sure Turbo was just making a joke.
By the way Henry Hook was English, middlesex I think. Fred Hitch was from Gloucestershire and James Reynolds was a Dubliner.
usermame

Post by usermame »

Is it a momentary thing?
The Graun wrote:'This is a revolution': Saudis absorb crown prince's rush to reform

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... -to-reform

Outside a Riyadh shopping centre last month, Zeina Farhan was walking with her headscarf around her shoulders when the religious police pulled up. She froze in fear as a man in the driver’s seat lowered his window. “Please madam, can you just cover your hair during prayer time,” he asked. “I said OK, he said thank you, and he drove off. That was it. It was stunning.”

For all of her adult life, a run-in with the feared enforcers of Saudi Arabia’s societal norms would have led to a much harsher outcome. A woman who dared uncover her hair in public at any time, let alone during prayer, probably would have faced a fine and maybe jail. “Insults, prisons, whippings, shame,” said Farhan, 32. “To see them like that showed how much things have changed.”
croyals

Post by croyals »

The Sun God wrote:

Lt Bromhead - the only one approaching Turdboat's disrespectful description. Understood the value of massed volley fire. May have been genetically stupid, but knew the drills.
Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
By the way Henry Hook was English, middlesex I think. Fred Hitch was from Gloucestershire and James Reynolds was a Dubliner.
Shh he watched the film so has ventured into the realm of FACT.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

croyals wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
Didn't all those Jones-boyos use numbers to tell each other apart - since they all had the same name.
croyals

Post by croyals »

Yer Man wrote:
croyals wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
Didn't all those Jones-boyos use numbers to tell each other apart - since they all had the same name.
I don't know but I dare say they may have done in Welsh regiments, which the 24th wasn't at Rorke's Drift.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Notwithstanding the shockingly missed joke, does EF not realise that 11 non Geordie VC winners out of 150 men
Doesn't mean there wasn't a Geordie amongst them.
Last edited by Zakar on Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

usermame wrote:Is it a momentary thing?
The Graun wrote:'This is a revolution': Saudis absorb crown prince's rush to reform

Outside a Riyadh shopping centre last month, Zeina Farhan was walking with her headscarf around her shoulders when the religious police pulled up. She froze in fear as a man in the driver’s seat lowered his window. “Please madam, can you just cover your hair during prayer time,” he asked. “I said OK, he said thank you, and he drove off. That was it. It was stunning.”

For all of her adult life, a run-in with the feared enforcers of Saudi Arabia’s societal norms would have led to a much harsher outcome. A woman who dared uncover her hair in public at any time, let alone during prayer, probably would have faced a fine and maybe jail. “Insults, prisons, whippings, shame,” said Farhan, 32. “To see them like that showed how much things have changed.”

I don't think so, unless he faces a huge pushback from the religious and royal elite. He's been de-fanging the Saudi religious police since mid 2016, and now has taken them into his portfolio so they answer to him alone now. He's largely supported by the youth of SA, which should see him through. Although he'll probably make a few enemies there if he cuts benefits and tries to increase productivity (I read somewhere that Saudi employees are only productive for 30 minutes a day or something ridiculous).
croyals

Post by croyals »

Bullettyme wrote:
usermame wrote:Is it a momentary thing?

I don't think so, unless he faces a huge pushback from the religious and royal elite. He's been de-fanging the Saudi religious police since mid 2016, and now has taken them into his portfolio so they answer to him alone now. He's largely supported by the youth of SA, which should see him through. Although he'll probably make a few enemies there if he cuts benefits and tries to increase productivity (I read somewhere that Saudi employees are only productive for 30 minutes a day or something ridiculous).
They post on Planet Rugby? :shock:
Bobless

Post by Bobless »

Zakar wrote:Notwithstanding the shockingly missed joke, does EF not realise that 11 non Geordie VC winners out of 150 men di
Doesn't mean there wasn't a Geordie amongst them.
Actually Allen may have been a Geordie, born in Northumberland.
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:No sign of any link to where I apparently put him on ignore either.

I'm still not calling him a big fat fatty fat liar, but I really don't recall any exchange like that with him.
Kevin Spacey didn't remember molestering and gubbing that kid either.
For the record I think I picked up "gubbing" off the Celts on here and a quick search of the forum makes that a reasonable assumption - had no idea it had some sort of financial meaning too
HKCJ

Post by HKCJ »

Every now and then you open a thread on PR with no expectations and it suddenly delivers great laughter from nowhere. Fantastic :lol:
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Did Ellafan genuinely miss the point of Turbogoat's post, or is it a bizarre exercise in performance art for his own amusement, where each post castigating him counts as a point to him?
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

Turbo. What has happened in the dispute with Quatar ,that has dropped off the newspapers here ? At one stage it looked to be quite a big deal ?
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
They gave the medals in shed loads to distract from the defeat at Iswandalah.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

HKCJ wrote:Every now and then you open a thread on PR with no expectations and it suddenly delivers great laughter from nowhere. Fantastic :lol:
I think the origin of the feud arose from a congrats thread.

http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic. ... t#p4467723
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
William Jones was from Bristol, and quite why Ellafan lists the officers vaguely by rank and Dalton (the real hero of the action) by his Corps, is anyone's guess.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

lorcanoworms wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
That's the thinking alright. Certainly Chelmsford's successor, Gen Wolseley was of that persuasion.
Bobless

Post by Bobless »

Brazil wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
William Jones was from Bristol, and quite why Ellafan lists the officers vaguely by rank and Dalton (the real hero of the action) by his Corps, is anyone's guess.
Dalton and CSM Bourne were probably those most responsible for the successful defence. Bourne was only 24 and had been the youngest CSM in the entire army when promoted and highly regarded within his regiment and offered a commission immediately after the battle.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Bobless wrote: Dalton and CSM Bourne were probably those most responsible for the successful defence. Bourne was only 24 and had been the youngest CSM in the entire army when promoted and highly regarded within his regiment and offered a commission immediately after the battle.
Called "the Kid" by his troops (and missed out on a VC, of course). IIRC he turned down the Commission because he couldn't afford it didn't he? I think Chard, in particular, gets a bad rap for what Wolsey (who was furious that Chelmsford had got the big win at Ulundi before he could get out into the field) said about him, though there's now little doubt that Dalton was pivotal in the decision to stay and fortify the station, and was key in the defence of the baricades before he got wounded.
croyals

Post by croyals »

lorcanoworms wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
VCs have become significantly more difficult to come by since the Victorian age.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Brazil wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
Only Jones R and Williams on that list are Welsh by Birth location at least. The list is in that order because that's the order on the wiki page

Never mind the fact that Ellafan seems to have been whooshed by an obvious joke comment knowingly attributed to someone else anyway, he seems to have got most of the facts spectacularly wrong
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

croyals wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
VCs have become significantly more difficult to come by since the Victorian age.
How much Russian Sevastopol cannon is left for the manufacture of VCs?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Maybe some 4D chess level of trolling.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

In a repeated attempt to bring this thread back on topic.

Did MBS visit Israel? http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Confl ... ael-504777

Although it's been fairly obvious for quite some time that Israel and Saudi Arabia have common goals and are de facto allies, I'd be pretty surprised if someone so high ranking would take the political risk to actually visit Tel Aviv.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Saudis now stirring things up in Lebanon. Accusing Lebanon of waging war on them. Its time they were taught a few lessons.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

danny_fitz wrote:
croyals wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
IIRC there's a surprising amount left, given you don't need much for a medal. Plus, if the worst came to the worst, they could always filch the guns from by the Pagoda in Nottingham.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

danny_fitz wrote:
croyals wrote:
lorcanoworms wrote:
The Sun God wrote:

Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
There are two of them in Eyre Square Galway, if they ever run out.
croyals

Post by croyals »

I wouldn't be totally shocked if they were running out to use an old Spitfire.

Isn't this a nice diversion from potential war in the Middle East?
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

croyals wrote:I wouldn't be totally shocked if they were running out to use an old Spitfire.

Isn't this a nice diversion from potential war in the Middle East?
Given I'm having to fly out there next week, yes, yes it is...

Incidentally, the famous ranked fire sequence at the end of Zulu was, in fact, a pile of mealie bags behind the main parapet that a couple of the troops (I think Bourne and someone else) hollowed out after the evacuation of the Hospital to ensure the British had two levels of fire into the attacking Zulus. They fired off so may rounds that their gun barrels glowed in the dark.
TrailApe

Post by TrailApe »

Here we go: VC's won at Rorke's drift:
Allen; Welsh
Hitch; Welsh
Hook; Welsh
Jones, R; Welsh
Jones, W; Welsh
Williams; Welsh
Reynolds; Pommy doctor
Dalton; Commissary
Schiess; Natal forces.

Spot the Geordie.
There's facts then there's facts

Here is the amended list

Lt Chard - military professional – Born in Plymouth - ENGLISH
Lt Bromhead - the only one approaching Turdboat's disrespectful description. Understood the value of massed volley fire. May have been genetically stupid, but knew the drills. Born in Versailles to an English mother and Father raised in Linconshire- ENGLISH
Allen; Welsh – Born in Northumberland. Some say Newcastle upon Tyne, others say just south of Berwick. Joined the 24th at Aldershot – ENGLISH (possibly a Geordie)
Hitch; Welsh Born in Southgate London - ENGLISH
Hook; Welsh Born at Churcham Gloucestershire - ENGLISH
Jones, R; Welsh He was born at Penrhos Monmouthshire WELSH
Jones, W; Welsh - Born either in Worcester or Bristol, he joined the 24th at Birmingham ENGLISH
Williams; Welsh John Fielding (changed his name on joining) was born in Abergavenny to Irish parents – WELSH (although Irish Quailified :) )
Reynolds; Pommy doctor James Reynolds, born in and educated Dublin - IRISH
Dalton; Commissary James Dalton born in London - ENGLISH
Schiess; Natal forces. Born in Burgdorf Switzerland - SWISS

The county designation of the 24th Regiment in 1879 was the 2nd Warwickshires; they didn't change their title to the South Wales Borderers until 1st July 1881 - almost exactly two years after the war had ended. True, the Regimental Depot had been established at Brecon, in South Wales, in 1873, and from that point there was a small but significant increase in Welsh recruits in the ranks. In fact, however, recruits for the regiment - like every other battalion in the British army - were signed on at recruiting depots across the country, and the 24th consisted of men from England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. The most that can be said is that the Welsh connection had, by 1879, led to a rather higher proportion of Welshman in the ranks than was common elsewhere. Nevertheless, even the most optimistic search of the regimental roll can find only 19 men of B Company, 2/24th, with any sort of Welsh connection - out of a total strength of more than 80. Of course, there were detachments of numerous other units - including Colonial Volunteers - present at the battle, making a total garrison of about 145. So the Welsh contingent comprised no more than 15% of the total. The regimental march in 1879 was 'The Warwickshire Lads' - not 'Men of Harlech'

I hate it when films (even such an eminently watchable film like Zulu) spread out untruths.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

TrailApe wrote:
I hate it when films (even such an eminently watchable film like Zulu) spread out untruths.
I'd argue it was acceptable for Zulu, given it's one of, if not the greatest war film ever made. And John Prebble had a hand in the script and was a man who knew his onions. I don't think we'd be having this argument without the film, so it's been a force for getting the truth of the action out there. Not that that appeased Hook's grandaughters, or Mark E Smith, for that matter.
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Brazil wrote:
TrailApe wrote:
I'd argue it was acceptable for Zulu, given it's one of, if not the greatest war film ever made. And John Prebble had a hand in the script and was a man who knew his onions. I don't think we'd be having this argument without the film, so it's been a force for getting the truth of the action out there. Not that that appeased Hook's grandaughters, or Mark E Smith, for that matter.
What's the Mark E Smith reference?
In his autobioraphy (which I suspect you'll love, it's so unapologetically nihilistic) he claims descent from Henry Hook VC. This is almost certianly untrue.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

TrailApe wrote:Here we go:.
Thank you for that, I enjoyed reading it, but I think you're missing the whole point of this.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

Ellafan wrote:
Thank you for that, I enjoyed reading it, but I think you're missing the whole point of this.
Which is that "our" in Geordie sounds just like a posh English bloke saying "war", making for a funny joke that needs to be set in a context where war drums don't seem out of place.
Mahoney

Post by Mahoney »

That last post brought to you by finally-cracking-and-explaining-the-joke-thereby-removing-all-amusement-value-from-it-as-a-service.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Mahoney wrote:
Ellafan wrote:
Which is that "our" in Geordie sounds just like a posh English bloke saying "war", making for a funny joke that needs to be set in a context where war drums don't seem out of place.
Doncha hate it when you need to explain a joke. :(
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Mahoney wrote:That last post brought to you by finally-cracking-and-explaining-the-joke-thereby-removing-all-amusement-value-from-it-as-a-service.
:lol:
TrailApe

Post by TrailApe »

It was an interesting exercise and I learned there was a Geordie at Rorkes Drift, so 'wor' drums could well have been knicked.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Mahoney wrote:That last post brought to you by finally-cracking-and-explaining-the-joke-thereby-removing-all-amusement-value-from-it-as-a-service.
You nailed it if that's any consolation