no, but I have a license to own
5%
never
71%

Total votes: 85

CanNZ2000

do you own a firearm?

Post by CanNZ2000 »

I don't, but I have a license for posession for both handguns and rifles. My father has a lot of Both and I will probably have a lot of them willed to me. To keep them, I need to have a license.
Jay Cee Gee

Re: do you own a firearm?

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Yes, a huge throbbing veiny one.
TokenSarriesFan

Post by TokenSarriesFan »

I've fired plenty, because I had to, rather than choice, never saw the attraction.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Jay Cee Gee wrote:Yes, a huge throbbing veiny one.
Fires blanks
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Hmmm, in retrospect I probably shouldn't have bought my rifle off David Cronenberg.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Used to. Grew up on a farm in western Queensland, so pretty much a tool of the trade. No need for one any more and couldn't be bothered with the licence and storage hassle.
fraz

Post by fraz »

Bindi wrote:Used to. Grew up on a farm in western Queensland, so pretty much a tool of the trade. No need for one any more and couldn't be bothered with the licence and storage hassle.
How often did you have to wander into town to get your licence renewed? You know .....your licence?
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

Canada has a lot of rules and restrictions when transporting firearms too. With handguns pretty much all you can do is transport it from your safe in your house to a shooting range, nothing else.
Lenny

Post by Lenny »

Just realised I’ve got to this advanced age without ever having held a gun of any description. A fairly tame life. :?
The Native

Post by The Native »

I own a scoped air rifle for the express purpose of bunny blasting on my parents property. Didn't need a licence to purchase when I got it 12 or so years ago so not sure if it could be considered a firearm. Saying that, there was a police officer that was shot and killed by an air rifle a few years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if you're required to hold a licence these days. I keep the gun at my folks place but the pumping lever and the ammunition are kept at my house.
C69

Post by C69 »

Gun owners in the UK are mentally unstable right wing twats mostly
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

c69 wrote:Gun owners in the UK are mentally unstable right wing twats mostly
So, how many do you own?
C69

Post by C69 »

CanNZ2000 wrote:
c69 wrote:Gun owners in the UK are mentally unstable right wing twats mostly
So, how many do you own?
:?
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

No. No need.

I have shot rifles in the scouts at a summer camp in the UK, and later in a rifle club in college.

Most people have no need; and those that do, farmers and game hunters, need shotguns, and single round rifles only.

No one, outside of police and military should have a legal right to own more than that.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

A mate of mine used to have one on the farm in Ireland.
He was a barman in a fairly rough (at that time) pub in Camden.
In a prominent place in the bar he put up a picture of himself shooting the shotgun. Most of the punters got the message.
TheDocForgotHisLogon

Post by TheDocForgotHisLogon »

Just applying for my licence now.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

I don't own one but grew up around rifles. Used to go down to Hawkes Bay (in NZ) to my uncles farm over the summer and shoot possums and rabbits with them. Also South Islanders.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

True Blue wrote:I don't own one but grew up around rifles. Used to go down to Hawkes Bay (in NZ) to my uncles farm over the summer and shoot possums and rabbits with them. Also South Islanders.
I know there is a big divide between the north and south islanders but shooting them is a tad harsh...
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

No of course not. Why would i ? Who needs to own firearms now days ?
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I have several back in NZ, mainly to protect ourselves from North Islanders.
Sinkers

Post by Sinkers »

Owned a couple when still in the UK.
Just shotguns - an over and under for clays in the summer and a side be side for game in the winter.

Brothers and nephews still own and shoot - mainly wildfowl on the marshes in winter. Both my uk guns were transferred into my nephews licenses when I left.

I still go to the gun club here every now and then, but ownership is out of the question here.
if I ever have to explain the attraction of shooting clays to anyone, I equate it to being a bit like golf. A bit of walking around, some therapeutic mental concentration, some sexy personal kit and a scoring process that lets you know if you had a good day, improved on your average score etc
The Native

Post by The Native »

Hong Kong wrote:
True Blue wrote:I don't own one but grew up around rifles. Used to go down to Hawkes Bay (in NZ) to my uncles farm over the summer and shoot possums and rabbits with them. Also South Islanders.
I know there is a big divide between the north and south islanders but shooting them is a tad harsh...
It's like you've never come across a Canterbury fan.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I was offered one once when a guy who stabbed me was acquitted. The offer came from a senior social worker.
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

moosehead wrote:No of course not. Why would i ? Who needs to own firearms now days ?
You live in Abbey right? What's going on down there, read that a police officer was shot and killed today.
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

CanNZ2000 wrote:
moosehead wrote:No of course not. Why would i ? Who needs to own firearms now days ?
You live in Abbey right? What's going on down there, read that a police officer was shot and killed today.
60 yr old from Alberta. Stole vehicle on Saturday.
Police confronted him today and he used a shotgun on 2 of them.

Last year Alberta drifter went into a Abby highschool and attacked 2 13 yr old girls in the hallway. Killed one.

Abby has a problem and it is being on the direct bus route of Alberta......
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

moosehead wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Last year Alberta drifter went into a Abby highschool and attacked 2 13 yr old girls in the hallway. Killed one.

Which part of Abby do you live in, Clearbrook, Matsqui or Abby proper?
moosehead

Post by moosehead »

CanNZ2000 wrote:
moosehead wrote:
CanNZ2000 wrote:

Which part of Abby do you live in, Clearbrook, Matsqui or Abby proper?
I live in a quiet area in central Abby - right on the edge of Matsqui so i have green space out my back yard . Neighbour runs cows on his property..... Close to city centre but cows and forest on 2 sides of my place. Good spot to be but prices have risen so much in the valley that moving is getting tougher and tougher. Kind of wishing i would have bought a 5 acre spot 20 years ago....
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

My parents owned both sides of a duplex near Mills Lake in the late 80s. They sold when we moved away before the boom. Never ask my parents for financial advice.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

The Native wrote:
Hong Kong wrote:
It's like you've never come across a Canterbury fan.
Look nervously around the thread.... breathes a sigh of relief...steps away... quietly
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

It'd be illegal for me to have a firearm in my home here in the UAE as an expat, but I do have a couple of weapons kept at a shooting range and a couple of permanently assigned ones on a base or two.

I don't feel the need have a firearm in the home, or carry one. When in Texas I don't carry either, and I've had a couple of people ask if that makes me nervous. No, no it doesn't. Seeing the lack of basic weapons safety among others who do carry makes me a little nervous though. I do carry in a few other places, but it is very dependent on the situation, the role, the location etc...
fraz

Post by fraz »

Turbogoat wrote:It'd be illegal for me to have a firearm in my home here in the UAE as an expat, but I do have a couple of weapons kept at a shooting range and a couple of permanently assigned ones on a base or two.

I don't feel the need have a firearm in the home, or carry one. When in Texas I don't carry either, and I've had a couple of people ask if that makes me nervous. No, no it doesn't. Seeing the lack of basic weapons safety among others who do carry makes me a little nervous though. I do carry in a few other places, but it is very dependent on the situation, the role, the location etc...
What are they? I played lots of Tom Clancy Rainbow Six so I know heaps about guns.
assfly

Post by assfly »

This thread needs Globus

I don't, never will. Never felt the need. If I ever suffered a house break-in, I'd rather take my chances with a blunt object rather than risk killing someone or mistaking my wife for an intruder in the toilet.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

assfly wrote:This thread needs Globus

I don't, never will. Never felt the need. If I ever suffered a house break-in, I'd rather take my chances with a blunt object rather than risk killing someone or mistaking my wife for an intruder in the toilet.

Only suffered an attempted housebreak once. Decided to scare off the robbers unarmed (no time) Worked.
We managed to track them, apprehended them the following day. They had 2 firearms stashed around . One admitted carrying, during the break-in attempt, but still ran away when i frightened them.

Will never attempt it again, unarmed.
assfly

Post by assfly »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Only suffered an attempted housebreak once. Decided to scare off the robbers unarmed (no time) Worked.
We managed to track them, apprehended them the following day. They had 2 firearms stashed around . One admitted carrying, during the break-in attempt, but still ran away when i frightened them.

Will never attempt it again, unarmed.
I suppose it's all about the perceived risk. In South Africa, the chance of robbery victims being severely assaulted or killed is quite high, so I can see your point.

In Nairobi we're likely to encounter the occasional chancer who might try their luck, but even if intercepted it's unlikely that it will resort to extreme violence or worse.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Did when I lived in Australia, just for the odd spot of hunting, doing my bit against the feral animal menace.
Tehuringa

Post by Tehuringa »

Yup.... a couple but I live on a farm - .308, .223, .22 & a 410 shotgun. All different tools for different jobs. (Deer, foxes, rabbits & snakes in that order)

I used to shoot competitive IPSC with a Glock 17 & H&K 9mm but handgun laws in AUS are justifiably strict and I couldn't keep up with the number of competition shoots I needed to retain my licence so I sold them.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

The Native wrote:I own a scoped air rifle for the express purpose of bunny blasting on my parents property. Didn't need a licence to purchase when I got it 12 or so years ago so not sure if it could be considered a firearm. Saying that, there was a police officer that was shot and killed by an air rifle a few years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if you're required to hold a licence these days. I keep the gun at my folks place but the pumping lever and the ammunition are kept at my house.
No still no license needed for air rifles
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Never own, fired or even held 1. No inclination to do so whatsoever
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Oh and yes a few ..
FujiKiwi

Post by FujiKiwi »