no, but I have a license to own
5%
never
71%

Total votes: 85

bimboman

Re: do you own a firearm?

Post by bimboman »

earl the beaver wrote:I've fired shotguns before but will refuse to ever own one or have one in my house. The risks are just massive and there's no benefit

My father got quite into clay pigeon shooting, got a license and bought a shotgun, he eventually used it to take his own life. Given how shit I feel at times there's just no chance I'm risking it.

Owning a gun means you are statistically:
- More likely to kill yourself (because you're more likely to be male
- More likely to accidentally kill someone else with the gun or in general, ones obvious
- Murder someone because you're more likely to be male
- Be a victim of violent crime with the express intention of stealing your gun.yes people stealing guns target gun owners.

Just not worth it.

It's not worth what ? Statically owning a car makes you more likely to do most of the able as well.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Two.

Oh and a shotgun.
Last edited by Ted. on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

backrow wrote:
Pole wrote:Grew up on a farm for a while and we had been taught to use firearms for f**king around and defense mainly .22, .303 and 38 Special.. (South African Farming FTW)
.303 ? you have an old ww2 rifle or a gun from a spitfire mounted on your Bakkie ?
Isn't that pretty much a NATO 7.62 round?
Pole

Post by Pole »

backrow wrote:
Pole wrote:Grew up on a farm for a while and we had been taught to use firearms for f**king around and defense mainly .22, .303 and 38 Special.. (South African Farming FTW)
.303 ? you have an old ww2 rifle or a gun from a spitfire mounted on your Bakkie ?
I am no gun guru but I do know the rifles caliber was .303..
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

My dad had two rifles and used to go pigeon shooting. I was quietly anticipating my coming of age to join him during shooting season. Unfortunately we had a military coup and soldiers came and confiscated the guns. That was the end of my ambitions to be a champion hunter. The plums.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Pole wrote:
backrow wrote:
It's quite a common calibre, no idea what BR is on about.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

slick wrote:
backrow wrote:
slick wrote:
backrow wrote:
slick wrote:They scare the shit out of me, no interest in owning one. Wouldn't mind a go at clay shooting maybe.

Don't really get killing things for pleasure either.
shooting is actually a lot of fun, same buzz as playing darts or potting balls in snooker in a way.
same with shooting for the pot like Pheasants. If you eat meat, you should be prepared to kill it yourself.

like you, I don't understand twats who go shooting animals they won't eat, or trophies like that American dentist shooting lions.
I get shooting for the pot and would be reasonably happy about shooting a pheasant then eating it. Just don't get shooting 50 pheasants in a day and f**king off.
normally a shoot has an agreement with a local restaurant or Meat supplier - very much doubt they are wasted once killed.
also, I'd be happy if I got 50 in a day :thumbup:
Yes, I know that. I just don't personally see the pleasure in killing a load of animals that I have no intention of eating. It's just an odd mentality to me.

It's how pheasants get to the butcher though, they're all wild shot.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

No, I'd rather not get murdered in my own house with one.

In seriousness, I think they're fun to fire at targets (fired some AKs, shotguns, rifles and pistols in the past in various countries) but I think if that's the case and you really have to own one, it should be kept at the range locked up at all times. When you want to use it, you go to sign in, take it out of lockup, blast away and then return it. Or something like that.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Nolanator wrote:
backrow wrote:
No. .308 Winchester is (near enough). Not really sure why it was adopted as a military standard. Large projectile and small casing - heavy to carry and not great over distance due to drop.
Last edited by Bindi on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Pole wrote:
backrow wrote:

Dates from before the Anglo Boer War. Actual calibre is .311, but the lied to the British War Office ....to sell the rifles (Lee-Metford, later Lee-Enfield, actions)

Classy weapons, close enough to the 7.62 NATO in ballistics. For farmers.

And very accurate.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Bindi wrote:
Nolanator wrote:
backrow wrote:
No. .308 Winchester is (near enough). Not really sure why it was adopted as a military standard. Large projectile and small casing - heavy to carry and not great over distance due to drop.
Ah yeah, it was the Winchester that I was thinking of.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Zakar wrote:
Pole wrote:
backrow wrote:
just saying I was led to believe .303 was a very old fashioned calibre these days
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

backrow wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Pole wrote:
backrow wrote:
just saying I was led to believe .303 was a very old fashioned calibre these days
It is if you're talking military, but is used for hunting quite a lot.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

I shoot with a friend who owns lots of pistols up in Townsville.

I love target shooting but couldn't be arsed attempting to own anything in NSW.

Have a mate down the coast who does a lot of pig and fox shooting.

Have done it a few times
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Zakar wrote:
backrow wrote:
Splendid hunting calibre. Was once the calibre that shot most game in Africa. After the .22.

Both now eclipsed by the (AK47) 7.62×39mm.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

backrow wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Pole wrote:
backrow wrote:
It is - I've never seen a modern .303.

These are the common hunting ones (never seen the larger ones > 300 Win mag in the image, as not required in Australia though)

Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:
Zakar wrote:
backrow wrote:
Splendid hunting calibre. Was once the calibre that shot most game in Africa. After the .22.

Both now eclipsed by the (AK47) 7.62×39mm.
So not the calibre used most in shooting game in Africa, then.
backrow

Post by backrow »

honestly don't know the rounds I used in the rifles then, think 308 Winchester looking at that, and .22 hornet for the smaller pest rifle with the nightsight (as it had noticeably non pointy end)

in the cadets, the non auto Sa80's used the 5.56, and kicked a lot less than the larger hunting rifle did.

Nolantor, my real life accuracy, was better than my Battlefield 1 accuracy is. Thank god.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote:honestly don't know the rounds I used in the rifles then, think 308 Winchester looking at that, and .22 hornet for the smaller pest rifle with the nightsight (as it had noticeably non pointy end)

in the cadets, the non auto Sa80's used the 5.56, and kicked a lot less than the larger hunting rifle did.

Nolantor, my real life accuracy, was better than my Battlefield 1 accuracy is. Thank god.

5.56 is a tiny projectile, it's aim is to wound as much as kill first shot. Also by design they're meant fire many thousands rather than a dozen a day.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

earl the beaver wrote:I've fired shotguns before but will refuse to ever own one or have one in my house. The risks are just massive and there's no benefit

My father got quite into clay pigeon shooting, got a license and bought a shotgun, he eventually used it to take his own life. Given how shit I feel at times there's just no chance I'm risking it.

Owning a gun means you are statistically:
- More likely to kill yourself
- More likely to accidentally kill someone else
- Murder someone
- Be a victim of violent crime with the express intention of stealing your gun.

Just not worth it.
What, I don't know where those statistics came from, but I would severely question that claim that your average law abiding gun owner is more likely to murder someone that your average Joe. Dunblane aside I am pretty sure I can count the number of such murders in Scotland on one hand, maybe two at a push. Even your tooled up OCG's tend to use them to intimidate rather than kill.
sewa

Post by sewa »

I've done the whole clay shooting thing a few times, normally on the day after Xmas day down the banks of the estuary. You need to be quick when there is 3 or 4 decent shots there or you end up just firing very little. There is one guy who brings a collection of 0.22's and an old cowboy style winchester. The young lads all get a kick out of shooting a few targets set up on the hill. Never owned a gun myself though and doubt I ever will
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Bindi wrote:
It is - I've never seen a modern .303.

These are the common hunting ones (never seen the larger ones > 300 Win mag in the image, as not required in Australia though)

That's a good picture, but quite septic focused. I know three people who hunt with 303s (NZ and Australia) so I may have overestimated their popularity.
backrow

Post by backrow »

id imagine that .458 would give you a bit of a kick !
are those hunting rifle bullets only?
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

backrow wrote:id imagine that .458 would give you a bit of a kick !
are those hunting rifle bullets only?

Well it would knock a polar bear over so I'd imagine.
backrow

Post by backrow »

imagine a hand held pistol minigun, firing those little tiny bullets from a backpack, like Blaine from Predator.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Sort of - the .223 = a 5.56mm NATO round. The 45-70 was an army round back in the day that's basically just for massive game now.
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

My father used to have a semi auto Winchester 22 rifle with a scope. He handed it in to the cops during the 87 Fiji coup and it took 5 or 6 years to get it back, it was handed in again during the 2000 coup never to be seen again

My bro in law used to have 3 hand guns, 22 target, 9 mm and a revolver (might have been a 357)
22 was too light, 9 mm to much recoil but I liked the revolver.
Now he just has the 22 and 9 mm plus an air rifle that he shoots Coypu with.

I usually have one mornings shoot at a froggy Marine military range when I visit.
The guys who run the shoot regale everyone with how joke house the local French cops are at shooting.

At school we used to shoot old 303 and 22 rifles. That was so long ago that I think they still had a couple of Sten guns in the school armoury.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Glaston wrote:My father used to have a semi auto Winchester 22 rifle with a scope. He handed it in to the cops during the 87 Fiji coup and it took 5 or 6 years to get it back, it was handed in again during the 2000 coup never to be seen again

My bro in law used to have 3 hand guns, 22 target, 9 mm and a revolver (might have been a 357)
22 was too light, 9 mm to much recoil but I liked the revolver.
Now he just has the 22 and 9 mm plus an air rifle that he shoots Coypu with.

I usually have one mornings shoot at a froggy Marine military range when I visit.
The guys who run the shoot regale everyone with how joke house the local French cops are at shooting.

At school we used to shoot old 303 and 22 rifles. That was so long ago that I think they still had a couple of Sten guns in the school armoury.
hard to be accurate when their hands are in the air
TrailApe

Post by TrailApe »

There is a seductiveness about holding a firearm, they are a lot heavier than you would think and in most cases are a well engineered, well made bit of kit.

I only own a .22 BSA Super Meteor (it’s about 30 years old) air rifle and use it to pot rats in our back garden – a bad winter has them desperate enough to come out in daylight nicking the bird seed.

I was in the TA for a few years and fired 5.56. 7.62, 9mm 84mm 105mm 155mm 227mm and – and a good old 'imperial' calibre 5.5”.

The thing about humping around or serving on that kit makes you realise what a phekkin arse on it is to clean the bloody things, and after all of that there’s no way I’d own a proper firearm, just too much twatting on – and in the UK, very little to expend your ammo on – at least legally.

So I’ll polish up the wood on my Meteor, give it the occasional pull through with a lightly oiled rag and wait for the first frosts…
Backwoodsman1

Post by Backwoodsman1 »

Own a .17HMR for bunnies, a 25-06 for deer and a 12 bore, using solid projectile for wild boar.
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

backrow wrote:honestly don't know the rounds I used in the rifles then, think 308 Winchester looking at that, and .22 hornet for the smaller pest rifle with the nightsight (as it had noticeably non pointy end)

Loved the cadets. Got to fire loads, .22 rifle, 303 rifle, sterling sub machine gun, SLR, Bren gun (cant remember if I actually got to fire that one or just carried it around for 3 days), GPMG, SA80 (on full auto the Lieutenant got a huge bollocking for that) Cadet SA80 and Browning 9mm pistol. All between the ages of 14 and 16 and not fired anything since and no real desire too either
Last edited by Poshprop on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Poshprop wrote:

Loved the cadets. Got to fire loads, .22 rifle, 303 rifle, sterling sub machine gun, Bren gun (cant remember if I actually got to fire that one or just carried it around for 3 days), GPMG, SA80 (on full auto the Lieutenant got a huge bollocking for that) Cadet SA80 and Browning 9mm pistol. All between the ages of 14 and 16 and not fired anything since and no real desire too either
Jesus, that's a lot of guns, where did you go to school - Thurrock ?
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

backrow wrote:
Poshprop wrote:

Loved the cadets. Got to fire loads, .22 rifle, 303 rifle, sterling sub machine gun, Bren gun (cant remember if I actually got to fire that one or just carried it around for 3 days), GPMG, SA80 (on full auto the Lieutenant got a huge bollocking for that) Cadet SA80 and Browning 9mm pistol. All between the ages of 14 and 16 and not fired anything since and no real desire too either
Jesus, that's a lot of guns, where did you go to school - Thurrock ?
Hereford ;)
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Grew up in a rural area, most of my school mates were kids of farmers and it was perfectly normal to see half a dozen shotguns and kitchen draw full of shells when visiting them. Mucked about with air rifles and 4/10s and .22 guns as a teenager but all that stopped when I moved to London. Still go shooting when visiting family in Ireland and I work not far from the Bisley National Shooting Centre and have popped in their a few times. Fired off an AK-47, MP9, Uzi, M4 Assault rifle, M240 GPM and a P226 when in vegas, that was fun.
nardol

Post by nardol »

I have a serious weapon

in my pants
backrow

Post by backrow »

nardol wrote:I have a serious weapon

in my pants
careful, you might get the internet Jape & Funny Police claiming you are a bit crude
julian

Post by julian »

I used to own some guns, an S&W Mod 65 in 357 mag, a Colt 1911 45 acp, a Beretta 9mm, two .308 Winchester Mod 70, a Remington in 12/70 an Aguirre and Aranzabal side by side shotgun in 16/70.

Never for self defense but for the fun of shooting them at shooting ranges or farms. Nowadays just own two shotguns from my grandfather in Spain the AYA before named and a side by side english Purdey in 12/75.

In Argentina guns are common mostly because of the large land, protection and hunting. You can drive for hours without crossing another car or in the middle of nowhere.
julian

Post by julian »

Zakar wrote:
Pole wrote:
backrow wrote:
Those are all 7mm cases. .303 is known as .303 british and is a military round for the old venerable Lee Enfield, the 7,52 NATO and .308 although similar are not exactly the same, some differences in the cases. It is not advisable to use military ammo on civilian rifles as the cases might have some differences.

The 45-70 is the 45-70 Government as it was a US gov issue cartridge.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

No. I don't hunt and don't need one for protection.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

Used to have a couple. A .22 bolt action for the rabbits. A .308 SLR. Used to use the .22 all the time. Was shooting a lot as a youngster. Barely used the .308. Was also in the local pistol club and had a crack with everything from a black powder pistol through to a magnum .44 and even an old Thompson.

Was great fun. The joys of growing up in the country side.