Post by Auckman »

In the planning according to the Daily Telegraph in Sydney:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11942383

AUD $50 million

:lol:
naki

Re: All Blacks v Kangaroos Hybrid Rugby/League match

Post by naki »

Nice, the 2019 and 2017 winners duking it out for the ultimate Rugby World Cup title :thumbup:
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

x(
Stu Wilsons gloves

Post by Stu Wilsons gloves »

Doesn't this try and get up every other year. :lol:
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

I was reading it before and thought it sounded like quite a fun and unique one-off encounter. I don't think it's a horse for anyone to flog but as a one-off thing I could get behind it.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I've heard this so many times. We'll get high speed rail in Australia before that game happens.
naki

Post by naki »

They are confidently stating that this game will be as big as the RWC final. Ridiculous claim, it will obviously be even bigger.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Any recent examples of hybrid games? What are the rules/laws?
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

I am interested in the idea of Josh Dugan being a global superstar

Who is he?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Margin_Walker wrote:Any recent examples of hybrid games? What are the rules/laws?
Yeah there have been a couple played in Australia under these rules. It's basically league in your own half and union in the opposition.

I know there have been three low level matches recently - the league champion high school Vs an above average union school (union won), a subbies RU side Newport Vs league club Avalon (called off due to a freak storm) and a shute shield club Vs a league team (league won).
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
deadduck wrote:I am interested in the idea of Josh Dugan being a global superstar

Who is he?
I have never heard of him. There are some seriously deluded people in Sydney.
It's the league media. They are as insular as water is wet.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Zakar wrote:
Margin_Walker wrote:Any recent examples of hybrid games? What are the rules/laws?
Yeah there have been a couple played in Australia under these rules. It's basically league in your own half and union in the opposition.

I know there have been three low level matches recently - the league champion high school Vs an above average union school (union won), a subbies RU side Newport Vs league club Avalon (called off due to a freak storm) and a shute shield club Vs a league team (league won).
Cheers. I'd certainly watch it if it ever got off the ground purely out of curiosity. Big if though and will believe it when I see it
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

deadduck wrote:I am interested in the idea of Josh Dugan being a global superstar

Who is he?
He's the bogan knacker with a body chocker with shit scare stickers.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

You would expect it to be fairly simple, and probably leaning more to league than Union. I'd expect the All Blacks could probably make a decent game of League without too much thought put into it. They're all good enough footballers, even against the Kangaroos or Kiwis I reckon they'd be a pretty decent side and throw up a solid contest. They may not win but I'd expect them to score some points and hold on for a while.

I don't know if there ever has been a first class type hybrid game, possibly something in the lower tiers of Australian sport but as far as I know nothing of a first class level that might involve something like NRL or super rugby type quality.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Margin_Walker wrote:
Zakar wrote:

Cheers. I'd certainly watch it if it ever got off the ground purely out of curiosity. Big if though and will believe it when I see it
https://youtu.be/xjyJvvmPPw8?t=129
J Man

Post by J Man »

1 Matt Duffie
2 Rieko Ioane
3 Ryan Crotty
4 Ngani Laumape
5 Waisake Naholo
6 Damian McKenzie
7 Beauden Barrett
8 Vaea Fifita
9 Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10 Liam Squire
11 Sam Cane
12 Kieran Read
13 Sonny Bill Williams

14 Anton Lienert-Brown
15 Matt Todd
16 Patrick Tuipulotu
17 Asafo Aumua
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Will proper scrums be allowed ?

If not, it's a farce, and if so let the first half be to Union rules and see how quickly the league broken bodies mount up.
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_ ... es_(rugby)
kiap

Post by kiap »

camroc1 wrote:Will proper scrums be allowed ?

If not, it's a farce, and if so let the first half be to Union rules and see how quickly the league broken bodies mount up.
You like a good scrum, don't you...

Rugby union scrums (no flankers obviously) when the team in possession is in their attacking half.

However, there is also a 60 second "shot clock", which tends to limit the fucking around in scrums.

But teams can still try to advance their score via scrum penalties, Northern Hemisphere style, should they wish. :thumbup:
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Wasn't there a match between the Kangaroos and the Wallabies back when Wendell Sailor was playing league - from memory it was a half of each game and I think the wallabies won?
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Poshprop wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clash_of_ ... es_(rugby)
Yep, I remember those. Weren't massively recent though (Bath had only just turned professional) and they just played a game of each, rather than any kind of hybrid
PCPhil

Post by PCPhil »

Great idea. Here some ideas for rules:

Play with 13 a side but allow full contact scrums.
Allowed to play the ball back upto 6 times...whilst allowing full rucks at said contact areas.

Seems fair.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Shrekles wrote:Wasn't there a match between the Kangaroos and the Wallabies back when Wendell Sailor was playing league - from memory it was a half of each game and I think the wallabies won?
Yeah, the Kangaroos did play the Wallabies, but Wendell wasn't involved.

Dell was still developing his game back in 1909.
booze

Post by booze »

Zakar wrote:I've heard this so many times. We'll get high speed rail in Australia before that game happens.

I think for the money being offered the nzru will play them at netball
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Auckman wrote:In the planning according to the Daily Telegraph in Sydney:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/ar ... d=11942383

AUD $50 million

:lol:
:lol: Indeed. I've long since lost track of the versions of this story I've seen over the years. LIke this one, they typically originated in Siddenee.

In reality the optimal time to organise such a game has passed, alas. The optimal time would have been 2007, the 100th anniversary of Straya's first games of professional rugby. And I use 'professional rugby' quite deliberately.

Although the NZ - Oz games were advertised as 'Northern Union', as the professional code was known locally at the time, the actual matchplay was 15-a-side under the rugby laws in force locally at the time.

It had to be. Few if any any the players knew anything else.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

J Man wrote:1 Matt Duffie
2 Rieko Ioane
3 Ryan Crotty
4 Ngani Laumape
5 Waisake Naholo
6 Damian McKenzie
7 Beauden Barrett
8 Vaea Fifita
9 Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10 Liam Squire
11 Sam Cane
12 Kieran Read
13 Sonny Bill Williams

14 Anton Lienert-Brown
15 Matt Todd
16 Patrick Tuipulotu
17 Asafo Aumua
Pretty good team that.
It is. But Barrett and McKenzie should swap jumpers.
Brumby_in_Vic

Post by Brumby_in_Vic »

mr bungle wrote:

Who is he?
He's the bogan knacker with a body chocker with shit scare stickers.
and can't hold his piss.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

You cannot have Union scrums in a hybrid match. There is a safety issue with the league players as they could get seriously injured.

yeah and I've never heard of that Dugan guy either. I don't watch NRL though.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

booze wrote:
Zakar wrote:I've heard this so many times. We'll get high speed rail in Australia before that game happens.

I think for the money being offered the nzru will play them at netball
The 'offer' is from a third party outfit that simply doesn't have anywhere near that much money. It would be based on a hypothetical TV/stadium revenue deal. Who is going to pay that much for a one off match in 2019? Nobody.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Wallabies might be able to put together a decent league team, if only because of our number of converts.

1. Hunt
2. Folou
3. Hodge
4. Rona
5. Korobiete
6. Beale
7. Foley?
8. Naiasarani
9. Lourens
10. Valentini
11. Kurindrani
12. Kerevi
13. Hooper

14. Higgenbotham
15. Dempsey
16. Timu
17. Peni
grievous

Post by grievous »

So RLWC not doing so well then.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

sonic_attack wrote: I'd expect the All Blacks could probably make a decent game of League without too much thought put into it. .
And this is why the mungos will never go for it. Their forwards are incapable of playing real rugby, and too small.

The league half would be a score draw, and the real Rugby half would be 60-nil to the real Rugby team.
Andalu

Post by Andalu »

#coattails
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

Andalu wrote:#coattails
:nod: :thumbup:

This shit comes up every year.
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

Last time this happened in the UK was Sale vs St Helens over a decade ago (totally iirc - I can't even be arsed to google). One half RL, the other half RU (flipped a coin to decide the order). RL scoring throughout, uncontested scrums in RU half.

Only things I remember were:

1) Sale won.
2) Mark Cueto got a hat-trick (maybe more).
3) It was a bit retarded as a sporting event.

Sale won the RU half something like 40-0, St H won the RL half like 38-0. From the reports Sale just mauled and pick-and-goed until there was a simple run in for their wings. Totally and utterly sucked at sets of six in RL; totally clueless according to the reports floating around at the time. St. H tore Sale apart from long range in the RL half but the match "turned" on a 10 minute period where Sale defended multiple sets on their try line. Basically, having to retreat totally confused the Sale defensive alignment but defending on the try line is nearly the same in both sports, and St H really struggled to break Sale down from close range.

4) RL fans on the internet were very surprised - they basically assumed that the RU half would be something like 15-10 to Sale and the RL half would be 60-0 to St H.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Hardcore RL fans on the internet tend to be quite strange.
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

Ellafan wrote:
sonic_attack wrote: I'd expect the All Blacks could probably make a decent game of League without too much thought put into it. .
And this is why the mungos will never go for it. Their forwards are incapable of playing real rugby, and too small.

The league half would be a score draw, and the real Rugby half would be 60-nil to the real Rugby team.
Don't underestimate how different having a set of six is and having to retreat, its really counterintuitive to Rugby players. The ABs would need to train hard for this not to embarrass themselves (and what really would be the point of that?).

Also, NZ thrive on quick ball and so much of their game is about making sure they get it. The ball seems to take ages to become available at the PTB these days (compared to 10 years ago), RL refs seem to have become really lenient on holding the tackled player (hence the angry grass humping). NZ would be running at set defences all half, and have to have a totally different kicking strategy.

I don't think a team of RL players can do anything in a game of RU, they'd get blown off the ball at every ruck, and concede metres at every close range carry. The RU half would be massacre.

Post by 9497 »

London_Lurker wrote:Last time this happened in the UK was Sale vs St Helens over a decade ago (totally iirc - I can't even be arsed to google). One half RL, the other half RU (flipped a coin to decide the order). RL scoring throughout, uncontested scrums in RU half.

1) Sale won.

Sale won the RU half something like 40-0, St H won the RL half like 38-0. From the reports Sale just mauled and pick-and-goed until there was a simple run in for their wings. Totally and utterly sucked at sets of six in RL; totally clueless according to the reports floating around at the time. St. H tore Sale apart from long range in the RL half but the match "turned" on a 10 minute period where Sale defended multiple sets on their try line. Basically, having to retreat totally confused the Sale defensive alignment but defending on the try line is nearly the same in both sports, and St H really struggled to break Sale down from close range.

4) RL fans on the internet were very surprised - they basically assumed that the RU half would be something like 15-10 to Sale and the RL half would be 60-0 to St H.
When union turned professional over here Bath played either Widnes or Wigan, but I can't remember who won. I think that they played a game each in each others code.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

London_Lurker wrote:Last time this happened in the UK was Sale vs St Helens over a decade ago (totally iirc - I can't even be arsed to google). One half RL, the other half RU (flipped a coin to decide the order). RL scoring throughout, uncontested scrums in RU half.

1) Sale won.

:thumbup:
London_Lurker

Post by London_Lurker »

9497 wrote:

1) Sale won.

When union turned professional over here Bath played either Widnes or Wigan, but I can't remember who won. I think that they played a game each in each others code.
It was Wigan. Bath had dominated english RU, Wigan were totally dominant in RL so it was seen as an obvious match-up. As you say, one game in each code

Very different times though. Scrums were much less powerful in RU, and I think that RL still had (or had had within a playing generation?) contested scrums so I think that competitive scrummaging was allowed in the RU game. That would be unbelievably dangerous now.

Wigan absolutely annihilated Bath at RL 80-6, and the Bath try only happened because when Wigan subbed players off they didn't bother subbing new players on.

Bath won the first half of the RU game, then wigan adjusted a bit and the second half was a draw. End score was like 34-19 or something to Bath. There has been a quantum leap in RU skills and fitness since then though.