Official Match Thread - Wales vs. All Blacks

All things Rugby
MrDominator

Re: Official Match Thread - Wales vs. All Blacks

Post by MrDominator »

Why do Wales always get so many injuries in big matches?

It can't just be bad luck.

I suspect they have a surfeit of fake gym strength and a profound deficit of natural yeoman strength.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

Toro wrote:Another disappointing game, they're just doing enough but not much more. Some average handling but also some spectacular plays.

What they have been all season is clinical and when they get near the line they have been ruthless at crossing the chalk. They can win games with 25% possession.

The goal line defence was superb and Cane was a beast all day. I think Whitelock was unlucky but any ref seems to be itching to yellow card an AB when defending their line. He was on his feet and contesting the ball, hardly cynical to be a yellow card after a warning for scrum indiscretions.

Don't know why we don't run more of those deep moves to let our big fast fullas move in some space out wide, seems the logical thing to do against a rush D but we keep attacking flat.

Good game Wales, kept the ball away from us for long periods and pressured well with your kicking game. I quite liked the look of your reserve scrum half, played very well and looked dangerous.
How players many are NZ missing? Smith, Retallick and ?
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Comedy gold with the Barnes hate.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

Good test.
Welsh had most of the ball and territory but struggled to create.

AB looked so much more fluid when they had the ball.

Sam Cane man of the match. Unbelievable performance. Crushing and damaging
Toro

Post by Toro »

Lacrobat wrote:Well played Sam Cane. He and Squire were ruthless on defence. My only issue with the AB performance was some breakdown issues at the rucks - some turnover ball. Questions also perhaps about BB's generalship. All said, for an end of a very long season match, very pleased to see the big hits still going in, right to the final whistle.
They were good for about 5-6 more turnovers in the second once they upped the tempo, but Barnes refused to give any. Cane had about 3 in one facet of play.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

That New Zealand team, by the way, is bang average.

They'll get better when their proper players return, but England would have dished them by at least 15 points.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Rugby2023 wrote:
Toro wrote:Another disappointing game, they're just doing enough but not much more. Some average handling but also some spectacular plays.

What they have been all season is clinical and when they get near the line they have been ruthless at crossing the chalk. They can win games with 25% possession.

The goal line defence was superb and Cane was a beast all day. I think Whitelock was unlucky but any ref seems to be itching to yellow card an AB when defending their line. He was on his feet and contesting the ball, hardly cynical to be a yellow card after a warning for scrum indiscretions.

Don't know why we don't run more of those deep moves to let our big fast fullas move in some space out wide, seems the logical thing to do against a rush D but we keep attacking flat.

Good game Wales, kept the ball away from us for long periods and pressured well with your kicking game. I quite liked the look of your reserve scrum half, played very well and looked dangerous.
Read, Franks, Coles, Moody . . .
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Very good test match to watch :thumbup:

Ultimately NZ relied on their structure and their structure came out on top.
Massive game from Sam Cane and thought Barrett added a lot of physicality when he came on.

Two trys each for both wingers, not a bad effort.
Toro

Post by Toro »

Rugby2023 wrote:

Read, Kaino*, Coles, Moody, Franks, Ben Smith, Dagg and Jordie Barrett of the most important.
Clog50Percent

Post by Clog50Percent »

MrDominator wrote:That New Zealand team, by the way, is bang average.

They'll get better when their proper players return, but England would have dished them by at least 15 points.
Would England beat Scotland
Waka Nathan

Post by Waka Nathan »

Toro wrote:Don't know why we don't run more of those deep moves to let our big fast fullas move in some space out wide, seems the logical thing to do against a rush D but we keep attacking flat.
Foster.

Barnes refereeing the breakdown: Wales get as long as they like to hold onto the ball; ABs get one nanosecond. He is clueless. Fcking clueless.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Glaston wrote:Comedy gold with the Barnes hate.
"Hate" or "constructive criticism"?
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Makes you wonder why England avoided them this tour.
brat

Post by brat »

Toro wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Read, Kaino*, Coles, Moody, Franks, Ben Smith, Dagg and Jordie Barrett of the most important.
Doubt that Jordie Barrett would get a look in now that Mackenzie has been playing so well, and smith will be back
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Rugby2023 wrote:

Moody, Coles, Franks, Romano,Read, Dagg, Barrett, Crotty after 15mins
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

The stats don’t lie. There is a strong statistical bias with him. The guy also openly admitted to admiring Aus for making the most of what they have, and who has coincidentally been the only ref who they have lost to against the Aussies in every one of the last 3 times.

Doesn’t look great.
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

Rugby2023 wrote:

Franks Coles Moody Retallick Kaino Read Smith and Dagg from the starting 15. Although Kaino is questionable
Toro

Post by Toro »

I think England might be in for a shock come six nations. Ireland's looking very settled and Scotland at Murrayfield...

Still not happy with last weeks game but the way Scotland dismantled and 14 man Oz today shows that the ABs did pretty bloody well last week.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

We don't hate him but he is very ordinary and we don't get the English adoration.
decado

Post by decado »

brat wrote:
Toro wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Doubt that Jordie Barrett would get a look in now that Mackenzie has been playing so well, and smith will be back
I'd like to see B.Smith back on wing with Rieko and J.Barrett at fb if he comes back from injury in form.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Enzedder wrote:

We don't hate him but he is very ordinary and we don't get the English adoration.
He doesn't ref them.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Yourmother wrote:
The stats don’t lie. There is a strong statistical bias with him. The guy also openly admitted to admiring Aus for making the most of what they have, and who has coincidentally been the only ref who they have lost to against the Aussies in every one of the last 3 times.

Doesn’t look great.

Mog in a dress.
Toro

Post by Toro »

brat wrote:
Toro wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

I wouldn't say Dmac has been playing that well. Jordie reads the game better, has a bigger kick, stronger tackler and safe under the high ball. I like them both but I'd take Jordie.
bessantj

Post by bessantj »

New Zealand are a very calm team, they do well in defence and strangled a lot of the Welsh attack and then converted their own chances.
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

brat wrote:
Toro wrote:
Rugby2023 wrote:

Happy that McKenzie got game time and have seen improvement but still think he is 4th in line. Next years super rugby will be interesting to see where he plays as well as Jordie Barretts form
JM2K6

Post by JM2K6 »

Magpie26 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

He doesn't ref them.
You're both wrong :|
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Toro wrote:

I think England might be in for a shock come six nations. Ireland's looking very settled and Scotland at Murrayfield...

Still not happy with last weeks game but the way Scotland dismantled and 14 man Oz today shows that the ABs did pretty bloody well last week.
Even last year England won a few ugly ones. The next six nations should be a cracker.
brat

Post by brat »

@decado.. I wouldn’t -still think smith is more crucial to our team at fb -especially in big games

Then there’s dagg -who is more a wing these days

Smith
dagg / naholo
Ioane

Mackenzie or j Barrett on the bench - will be interesting though
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Toro wrote:

Still not happy with last weeks game but the way Scotland dismantled a 14 man Oz today shows that the ABs did pretty bloody well last week.
This is the key point though.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

bimboman wrote:
Yourmother wrote:

Doesn’t look great.
Mog in a dress.
I’m sure mog in a dress is not the best eye candy. But I’d take it over that egotistical biased cvnt Barnes reffing my team.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

JB1981 wrote:
Toro wrote:

Even last year England won a few ugly ones. The next six nations should be a cracker.

It won't be a shock for England to lose any games this 6 nations.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I'd take Jordie over DMac as well. It's close though. DMac might get the nudge from the AB coaches in future though, given he's had a chance to accumulate test match experience with three better fullbacks ahead of him being injured.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

JM2K6 wrote:
Magpie26 wrote:
Enzedder wrote:

He doesn't ref them.
You're both wrong :|
You reckon we do hate him JM? :lol: :lol: Nah, life's too short.
Nabberuk

Post by Nabberuk »

Tehui wrote:I'd take Jordie over DMac as well. It's close though. DMac might get the nudge from the AB coaches in future though, given he's had a chance to accumulate test match experience with three better fullbacks ahead of him being injured.
He'll be on his way to the Tigers next season anyway
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

Did the NH/6N teams getting any cards?
Toro

Post by Toro »

Yourmother wrote:

Doesn’t look great.
Used scrum repeated infringements to give Whitelock a yellow for being on his feet and contesting the ball.

Not even a second glance at a no-arms tackle on Naholo, yellow. Then blatant offside from a quick tap 5m from the line....which he had to be told about by the lineman. :lol: :(
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Toro wrote:
Yourmother wrote:

Doesn’t look great.
Used scrum repeated infringements to give Whitelock a yellow for being on his feet and contesting the ball.

Not even a second glance at a no-arms tackle on Naholo, yellow. Then blatant offside from a quick tap 5m from the line....which he had to be told about by the lineman. :lol: :(

Whitlock came in "from the side" and was called as such.
Toro

Post by Toro »

Tehui wrote:
Toro wrote:

Still not happy with last weeks game but the way Scotland dismantled a 14 man Oz today shows that the ABs did pretty bloody well last week.
This is the key point though.
My point was that we played for a decent chunk with 14 as well. :)
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Just read the final score.....onya abs. What happened with wales 65% of the ball? Was it lack of penetration or ab defence? Off to the beach after 12-1-2 season. Well done.
blackblackblack

Post by blackblackblack »

BBB wrote:
"Hate" or "constructive criticism"?
To be fair it isn't hate, but constructive is a bit of a stretch.