2017 - good riddance

All things Rugby
User avatar
Yourmother
Posts: 12257
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

2017 - good riddance

Post by Yourmother »

To those who've also had a shite year.

My lowlights being id fraud with severe anxiety, a really drawn out shite time with rebuilding work, and the worst - a new CEO who doesn’t drink!

What are your “Flush it down the dunny” moments ?
User avatar
Jeff the Bear
Posts: 19126
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Jeff the Bear »

- Having to spend 6 grinding months remortgaging my UK property while living on the other side of the planet
- Applying for residence, only to be told that it wouldn't come back in time and so I had to spend another $1000 to get interim work visa
- Because of the delay in the residence visa, having to talk to every cunt under the sun to try and get a mortgage out here (which we eventually did, by some miracle, but not before talking to the aforementioned cunts)

I've basically spent the last 6 months doing nothing more than fill out form after form and produce endless pages of required documentation.
User avatar
easyray
Posts: 3951
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Still at the end of the world

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by easyray »

Jeff the Bear wrote:- Having to spend 6 grinding months remortgaging my UK property while living on the other side of the planet
- Applying for residence, only to be told that it wouldn't come back in time and so I had to spend another $1000 to get interim work visa
- Because of the delay in the residence visa, having to talk to every cunt under the sun to try and get a mortgage out here (which we eventually did, by some miracle, but not before talking to the aforementioned cunts)

I've basically spent the last 6 months doing nothing more than fill out form after form and produce endless pages of required documentation.
Welcome to the 21st century.
jolindien
Posts: 6775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jolindien »

Yourmother wrote:To those who've also had a shite year.

My lowlights being id fraud with severe anxiety, a really drawn out shite time with rebuilding work, and the worst - a new CEO who doesn’t drink!

What are your “Flush it down the dunny” moments ?
id fraud :shock:

like what, very wrong stuff ?
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20205
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Enzedder »

What are your “Flush it down the dunny” moments ?
just about all health

1) Buggered my back for the 8754th time changing a tyre on 19th January.
2) battling ACC for 4 months to provide coverage
3) Spinal fusion surgery #3 in late June
4) Surgery takes 4.5 hours instead of 90 minutes and I wake with a frozen shoulder
5) Young phlebotomist comes in to take blood and decides he will use the left wrist instead of walking around the bed to free right arm. 5 attempts later I tell him to piss off but not before he rams a needle thru the nerve controlling my left thumb.
6) ACC reckon the frozen shoulder is due to age and not a treatment injury (that was 3 days ago; they're quick)

7) Daughter's marriage fails so guess who has paid for new furniture and car. :x :x (I should get that back when settlements made)

Cunting fecking year. Piss off ya bastard.
jolindien
Posts: 6775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jolindien »

ah shit Enz, sorry for the health and daughter problems.

you have to see the good points of 2018 and progress : euthanasia is becoming more and more liberal, so you might be able to solve all your health problems as well as your daughters money problems, all at once :thumbup:










:P
jolindien
Posts: 6775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jolindien »

on our side we got that macron shit as president for 5 years, and that thatcher-clone is not the kind of turd you can flush easily... will definitly leave a crappy mark in the shitter for ages. So 2018 ain't gonne solve this, unless someone takes care of him, jfk-like.
User avatar
The Native
Posts: 12753
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by The Native »

Relationship break and my ex and daughter moving to Hamilton was my low light*, so not as bad as others. But 2017 can still suck my dick because no one else is.

*to attend Waikato University so not at all bitter about it.
User avatar
feckwanker
Posts: 7161
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by feckwanker »

Graduated with a PhD

Got a job in my niche field after 11 years of trying

Got engaged

All in all, a pretty decent year for me after a shitty start.
jolindien
Posts: 6775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jolindien »

The Native wrote:Relationship break and my ex and daughter moving to Hamilton was my low light*, so not as bad as others. But 2017 can still suck my dick because no one else is.

*to attend Waikato University so not at all bitter about it.
i think you are pretty much in the top bad. sorry.
jezzer
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jezzer »

Any year that kills Chuck Berry, Tom Petty, Chris Cornell and Fats Domino can fudge off.
Last edited by jezzer on Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
SecretAgentMan
Posts: 8737
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Yep, happy to see the arse end of a difficult year.

Almost lost the old man. He lost a leg and spent months in hospital, but got out a couple of months ago and is sort of on the mend. The big worries now are trying to make sure he keeps the other leg and coping with his rapidly worsening dementia. I chucked in my job to look after him, and I also wanted to have a crack at becoming a penniless artist (I'm halfway there already - no prizes for guessing which half LOL).

On the bright side: after 7 long years, no more horrendous school fees to pay. The sprog scored a $20k scholarship to study science in Auckland, and what with the gummint's new fees-free policy and extra student allowance she shouldn't have to rely on me for any more financial assistance (famous last words probably).
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20205
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Enzedder »

jolindien wrote:ah shit Enz, sorry for the health and daughter problems.

you have to see the good points of 2018 and progress : euthanasia is becoming more and more liberal, so you might be able to solve all your health problems as well as your daughters money problems, all at once :thumbup:





:P

You cunt















:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
User avatar
naki
Posts: 14209
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by naki »

Sorry to hear about your issues Enz, hope this year is brighter.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 13670
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by LandOTurk »

easyray wrote:
Jeff the Bear wrote:- Having to spend 6 grinding months remortgaging my UK property while living on the other side of the planet
- Applying for residence, only to be told that it wouldn't come back in time and so I had to spend another $1000 to get interim work visa
- Because of the delay in the residence visa, having to talk to every cunt under the sun to try and get a mortgage out here (which we eventually did, by some miracle, but not before talking to the aforementioned cunts)

I've basically spent the last 6 months doing nothing more than fill out form after form and produce endless pages of required documentation.
Welcome to the 21st century.
Yep. Not too bad then.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 13670
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by LandOTurk »

Best year financially for me by 50%
Boys started playing rugby
Scarlets won the Pro12

Miss my family in Wales terribly
Realise I need to build a social network - not so easy for a very busy 50 something year old Welsh guy in the US
Father was pretty ill for 12 months (but now almost mended)
Getting fatter

Can't complain really - wish all those of you who have had it much worse all the best. I know I have a few shitty years ahead of me at some point. Just have to take the good with the bad.

HNY
User avatar
Ghost-Of-Nepia
Posts: 4249
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Not a bad year, all told:

Ups:
- was unemployed at the start of the year (my choice) other than some contract work which I was able to do from anywhere.
- moved to Wellington, got a Monday-Friday 8-5pm job - which was what I was after following 15-odd years of working weekends - and what's more, it was in a completely different field/industry to what I'd been working in previously.
- able to keep doing the contract work outside my main job, and at busy times of the year, I'm invoicing for $2000-$3000 a month for that (usually involves 10-15 hours a week).
- paid off my student loan in mid-November, which was a 14-year, $55,000 odyssey.
- the tenants in my house in Dunedin signed on for another year, and some anticipated costs with the rental haven't eventuated.
- some good catch-up with mates over the year in various locations - Wellington, Auckland, Dunedin, Gold Coast.
- retained a job after my first contract ended, and this one is more interesting.
- asked to write a column for a publication in my former industry, which was a nice ego stroke.
- had my first legitimate summer holiday for more than a decade.

Downs:
- dating life is still pretty poor - partially due to being hung up on my ex - but I think I've finally moved on from that. We'll see...
- attempts to get fit not helped by shin issues and occasional back problems. I have some plans in place though.
- grandmother died, although that was a relief more than anything, due to her health problems over the last 7-8 years.
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5856
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Shit of a year for me.

In no particular order:

Got shafted out of a $20K payrise after delivering two huge projects.

Ankle still hasn't healed from last year

Still fat from Ankle surgery

Depressed about that.

But:

Resigning from work tomorrow when I return after a great 10 days off which means they are screwed for their PCI compliance in March :D

Came 3rd in my Martial arts international competition in October after a year out.
User avatar
naki
Posts: 14209
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by naki »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: - dating life is still pretty poor - partially due to being hung.
Hopefully 2017 will be the last year we’ll see this kind of blatant humblebragging
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 33218
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by guy smiley »

Every year is a mixed bag.

Enzo, sorry to read of your troubles, that's seriously trying and must be an ongoing strain. Good luck with it all.

I've flown Perth to Christchurch and back three times this year, my mother has battled cancer and I first went over before she started radiotherapy, just for a few days on a quick break to see her before treatment. I returned in September, after the treatment and following the cancer's spread to her lymph nodes and jaw. I was with her to see the oncologist and discuss a plan for palliative care as the cancers were inoperable. In the 6 months between visits, she had lost her nose, her sight and the tumours on her jaw had changed the shape of her face. She was almost unrecognisable. I had to return to Perth to see a surgeon regarding my ongoing shoulder issues and book an op on the left AC joint having had the right done in June. I was back in Chch 10 days later and stayed from early October until mid December caring for Mum, until we finally had to give in and put her into care. I've spent Christmas in Perth in a lot of pain after the second op, wondering when I'll be flying back yet again for Mum's funeral.

It's been insane and intense and beyond words. Not many of us will get the chance to spend that sort of time with a dying parent and it has made me a better person. She is amazing and I'm very proud of her joking in the face of it all and her simple humility and pursuit of the right thing to do. It's been enlightening.

I will most probably move back to NZ this year once I get some resolution over my shoulder issues. I can't see being able to return to my regular job, something I really liked. I expect to sue for some sort of payout and will seek legal advice when business returns to normal.

I've spent more time at home, in NZ this year than I had in 27 years and I've realised that for me at this stage of life, it is by far the better choice for living standards, quality of life, social attitude and political direction than Australia. My perception has been changed for the better.

Huge year. Good to put it away but it really means little... each day brings things along the same as the last. I do feel optimistic though and the promise of big changes coming up is exciting.
User avatar
Ghost-Of-Nepia
Posts: 4249
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

naki wrote:
Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: - dating life is still pretty poor - partially due to being hung.
Hopefully 2017 will be the last year we’ll see this kind of blatant humblebragging
Might give Grindr a nudge this year. :shock:
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 41478
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Kiwias »

2017 was a mixed year, as most of them seem to be.

GOOD
I spent two good holidays in NZ visiting my son and his family and having lots of time with my 3 grandchildren.

BAD
My daughter in law has a tumour on the lower spine that is not malign but will gradually worm its way into her spinal cord unless she has surgery (the first bout only managed to removed 50% of the tumour). She is looking at further surgery in 2018. My son is dealing with it extremely well, which makes me proud of him.

GOOD
My Dad died late in the year, basically of old age, and we had a really good funeral service to see him off. I realised the degree to which he was my genuine role model and still miss him, but am happy that he died without pain and having seen his great-granddaughter, something he never dreamed he would do. I made a real effort to have FaceTime with him once a week for as long as we could, so glad now that we did that.

GOOD
And of course I completed another full calendar year without touching a drop of alcohol, which actually makes me feel good about myself. A very old friend, from 1969 or so, asked me over dinner at her place after my Dad's funeral if I like myself now. When I answered yes, she grinned, hugged me, and said, "it took you a long time, didn't it?"
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 40368
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Enzedder wrote:
What are your “Flush it down the dunny” moments ?
just about all health

1) Buggered my back for the 8754th time changing a tyre on 19th January.
2) battling ACC for 4 months to provide coverage
3) Spinal fusion surgery #3 in late June
4) Surgery takes 4.5 hours instead of 90 minutes and I wake with a frozen shoulder
5) Young phlebotomist comes in to take blood and decides he will use the left wrist instead of walking around the bed to free right arm. 5 attempts later I tell him to piss off but not before he rams a needle thru the nerve controlling my left thumb.
6) ACC reckon the frozen shoulder is due to age and not a treatment injury (that was 3 days ago; they're quick)

7) Daughter's marriage fails so guess who has paid for new furniture and car. :x :x (I should get that back when settlements made)

Cunting fecking year. Piss off ya bastard.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best this year. At least you are still here to feel the pain
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 6292
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Dark »

I want yesterday back

A pack of 25 cigs from this morning now costs $36.50
SecretAgentMan
Posts: 8737
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by SecretAgentMan »

Dark wrote:I want yesterday back

A pack of 25 cigs from this morning now costs $36.50
:shock:

Glad I kicked the habit, seven years ago tomorrow.
User avatar
Enzedder
Posts: 20205
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Enzedder »

Hey guys, I am not really complaining. My clients have got problems to complain about, mine are just irritations.

Sleep was a problem for most of the year but that has improved heaps over the last month as I get the better of this bloody shoulder. I drove the whole way home from Wellington last week.
User avatar
SilverGrin
Posts: 5544
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Otago, Utopian paradise

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by SilverGrin »

Was possibly my worst year ever.


Downs:

Lost both our much loved cat and dog.

Lost a major part of business contract and now balls deep in debt.

A young bloke I hired took the work vehicle without permission and crashed it, writing it off and insurance company shat on me.

Back, shoulder and now wrist injuries preventing me from getting on the tools and earning money.

More issues that won't interest any good readers here.

Ups:

2017 was finally over last night.


Head down, arse up and hoping for a break this year.
User avatar
kiwinoz
Posts: 6917
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by kiwinoz »

Half empty half full year.

12 months ago less than a week after Christmas in NZ with my mum and family I was heading back as she had a stroke and was on DNR. To see her last 10 days on that before she finally passed away was truly gut wrenching and a shitty way to start the year.
I started a new job based in Sydney looking after Qld and NZ that meant for the first 3 months I lived between Brisbane and Sydney with bit of Auckland thrown in and in the meantime my 17 year old went off the rails to where he got given an ultimatum and had to kick him out the day I moved back to Brisbane.
The fitness has suffered to where I am peering over my gut into the abyss of middle age mediocrity (54)
Job financially has been very good and have managed to help son get off drugs and booze, pass Yr 12 get offers to university (in Oct he was nearly kicked out of school and was asked to leave) and he is now willing to come him and abide by our rules.
Now just need to sort me out!

Happy New Year plums!
ovalball
Posts: 11991
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by ovalball »

Not all bad

Had to give my Daughter lots of support as she went through her Cancer Treatment - but she's got the all clear and has only a few more months of injections to go.

Managed another year of playing cricket and got runs and wickets.

Did 3 Concerts with the Guitar Club I founded and still run - and which goes from strength to strength

1st Year of both Myself and Mrs Oval being fully retired - get my pension in 2018 :)

Bought Mrs Oval a shiny new Range Rover Evoque

My Mum moved into her Retirement Flat and is still going strong at 94

Grand Kids are all doing brilliantly

I'm a 8 kg lighter

Had a couple of nice holidays

Found out I had a half brother 9 years older than myself :shock:

Son in Law's business has really taken off - big load off my mind

I'm pretty happy with life.

All in all, not too shabby.
User avatar
Ted.
Posts: 17602
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Ted. »

Jesus, Enz and GS, I knew you'd had your trials and tribulations, but that's a trying load you've both had. I sincerely hope your 2018 is on the up, and for all those other's who have had the shitty end of the stick.

As for me, it's been a very busy year workwise and personally. My first birthday without me dear old mum (we shared a birth date, as does our son with my wife) and that was the big 60, so I''m officially an old fart... an old fatter fart.... Some people I hadn't seen in a very long time attended the birthday bash. The evening before, I attended an old mates 60th birthday in Auckland, then we all flew down to Welly the next day to attend mine. All in all a bitter, bitter sweet, sweet couple of days.

The main highlight is we got rid of a son and gained a lovely daughter in law.

A kind of highlight, after a year in gestation and towards the end of the year, we finally received our seismic assessment for this place. 300 odd pages of justification, guff and calculations with the bottom line being we're below 34% of code but not dead in the water, yet. An exciting 2018 of concept design and costing and, hopefully, we'll be getting on strengthening, dividing and remodelling work. Or if it transpires that the work will be too costly for us, we're f**ked. :thumbup:

Have a great 2018 everybody.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 37459
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Duff Paddy »

PR is a fascinating place at times. Thought I had stuff to complain about until I read Guy Smiley’s post. Is life shit? Yeah, it probably is.
User avatar
assfly
Posts: 10312
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Kenya

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by assfly »

Moved countries twice with my family which financially crippled me.

But glad to be back in Kenya and looking forward to a great 2018 8)
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 41478
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Kiwias »

kiwinoz wrote:Half empty half full year.

12 months ago less than a week after Christmas in NZ with my mum and family I was heading back as she had a stroke and was on DNR. To see her last 10 days on that before she finally passed away was truly gut wrenching and a shitty way to start the year.
I started a new job based in Sydney looking after Qld and NZ that meant for the first 3 months I lived between Brisbane and Sydney with bit of Auckland thrown in and in the meantime my 17 year old went off the rails to where he got given an ultimatum and had to kick him out the day I moved back to Brisbane.
The fitness has suffered to where I am peering over my gut into the abyss of middle age mediocrity (54)
Job financially has been very good and have managed to help son get off drugs and booze, pass Yr 12 get offers to university (in Oct he was nearly kicked out of school and was asked to leave) and he is now willing to come him and abide by our rules.
Now just need to sort me out!

Happy New Year plums!
Well done.
User avatar
croyals
Posts: 7886
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by croyals »

- ended up having to report my manager to HR for sending daily abusive texts overnight and over weekends. Fun few months that.

- buggered my knee so have put on weight as a result of struggling to manage any run over a couple of miles and haven't played rugby all season

Otherwise gone pretty well
Gwenno
Posts: 7848
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by Gwenno »

Positives
Scarlets won pro 12
1 year closer to retirement
New dog

Negatives
Youngest son in mental hospital for 7 weeks in Jan/Feb
Had to put down old dog while he was in there.
User avatar
kiwinoz
Posts: 6917
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by kiwinoz »

Kiwias wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:Half empty half full year.

12 months ago less than a week after Christmas in NZ with my mum and family I was heading back as she had a stroke and was on DNR. To see her last 10 days on that before she finally passed away was truly gut wrenching and a shitty way to start the year.
I started a new job based in Sydney looking after Qld and NZ that meant for the first 3 months I lived between Brisbane and Sydney with bit of Auckland thrown in and in the meantime my 17 year old went off the rails to where he got given an ultimatum and had to kick him out the day I moved back to Brisbane.
The fitness has suffered to where I am peering over my gut into the abyss of middle age mediocrity (54)
Job financially has been very good and have managed to help son get off drugs and booze, pass Yr 12 get offers to university (in Oct he was nearly kicked out of school and was asked to leave) and he is now willing to come him and abide by our rules.
Now just need to sort me out!

Happy New Year plums!
Well done.
Thanks. It wasn't easy as he wasn't living with us and had easy access to noth at the house he was staying.I wouldn't say he was deep into it but it was easy to say yes and hard to say no. Luckily he realised the choices he had werent all bad. Still a work in progress but he knows I have always had his back.
jolindien
Posts: 6775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jolindien »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Shit of a year for me.

In no particular order:

Got shafted out of a $20K payrise after delivering two huge projects.

Ankle still hasn't healed from last year

Still fat from Ankle surgery

Depressed about that.

But:

Resigning from work tomorrow when I return after a great 10 days off which means they are screwed for their PCI compliance in March :D

Came 3rd in my Martial arts international competition in October after a year out.
:thumbup:

Hope you'll tell us about their faces :nod:
jolindien
Posts: 6775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jolindien »

guy smiley wrote:Every year is a mixed bag.

Enzo, sorry to read of your troubles, that's seriously trying and must be an ongoing strain. Good luck with it all.

I've flown Perth to Christchurch and back three times this year, my mother has battled cancer and I first went over before she started radiotherapy, just for a few days on a quick break to see her before treatment. I returned in September, after the treatment and following the cancer's spread to her lymph nodes and jaw. I was with her to see the oncologist and discuss a plan for palliative care as the cancers were inoperable. In the 6 months between visits, she had lost her nose, her sight and the tumours on her jaw had changed the shape of her face. She was almost unrecognisable. I had to return to Perth to see a surgeon regarding my ongoing shoulder issues and book an op on the left AC joint having had the right done in June. I was back in Chch 10 days later and stayed from early October until mid December caring for Mum, until we finally had to give in and put her into care. I've spent Christmas in Perth in a lot of pain after the second op, wondering when I'll be flying back yet again for Mum's funeral.

It's been insane and intense and beyond words. Not many of us will get the chance to spend that sort of time with a dying parent and it has made me a better person. She is amazing and I'm very proud of her joking in the face of it all and her simple humility and pursuit of the right thing to do. It's been enlightening.

I will most probably move back to NZ this year once I get some resolution over my shoulder issues. I can't see being able to return to my regular job, something I really liked. I expect to sue for some sort of payout and will seek legal advice when business returns to normal.

I've spent more time at home, in NZ this year than I had in 27 years and I've realised that for me at this stage of life, it is by far the better choice for living standards, quality of life, social attitude and political direction than Australia. My perception has been changed for the better.

Huge year. Good to put it away but it really means little... each day brings things along the same as the last. I do feel optimistic though and the promise of big changes coming up is exciting.
sorry for you mum guy, and happy you seem to find the right way for job and life :thumbup:
jolindien
Posts: 6775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jolindien »

Phewwww, have read other posts too, and life isn't that funny (which i knew) :(

But i feel there is some pattern of what makes life a bag of shit :

- health :
Here you can't do much, at least once shits happen, that's being human :(

- job :
This is a load of crap and source of many many shits in our lives. One has to wonder what are the consequences of the stress we are living at work... i personaly know it can cause big big health troubles, and we have had some examples in here i reckon if we read between lines :| :(

As confirmed by the too many old farts we are having on PR, retirement seems to be seen as a great relief... and a time of happiness. Being 41, i've heard the same from all around me in the family, and friends of parents/uncles etc.

Was all that shit about work and jobs the same before (30 or 40 years ago), dunno ? But fact is, work is mainly providing you with shits and troubles, only to have some money to pay the fecking bills as a marginal advantage...
I'll personaly soon be looking for a new job, being 40+, losing a lot of money... but hoping to get something with much less stress and trouble. I just hope i can find such a thing with enough money for our family to live properly.

But really, reading you lot, i think i get the confirmation that a much proper life might exist if you get to see jobs and money differently... i just have to find the right deal and correct mind "positioning" about it.

That would be nice to have a dedicated thread about how we see work/job/retirement and about personal experience. I find it really enlightening reading your thoughts.
Isn't it crazy we waste our sole life earning it, all in a big big stress ?!
There must be some better way to do it. 2018 should tell me that.
ovalball
Posts: 11991
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by ovalball »

jolindien wrote:Phewwww, have read other posts too, and life isn't that funny (which i knew) :(

But i feel there is some pattern of what makes life a bag of shit :

- health :
Here you can't do much, at least once shits happen, that's being human :(

- job :
This is a load of crap and source of many many shits in our lives. One has to wonder what are the consequences of the stress we are living at work... i personaly know it can cause big big health troubles, and we have had some examples in here i reckon if we read between lines :| :(

As confirmed by the too many old farts we are having on PR, retirement seems to be seen as a great relief... and a time of happiness. Being 41, i've heard the same from all around me in the family, and friends of parents/uncles etc.

Was all that shit about work and jobs the same before (30 or 40 years ago), dunno ? But fact is, work is mainly providing you with shits and troubles, only to have some money to pay the fecking bills as a marginal advantage...
I'll personaly soon be looking for a new job, being 40+, losing a lot of money... but hoping to get something with much less stress and trouble. I just hope i can find such a thing with enough money for our family to live properly.

But really, reading you lot, i think i get the confirmation that a much proper life might exist if you get to see jobs and money differently... i just have to find the right deal and correct mind "positioning" about it.

That would be nice to have a dedicated thread about how we see work/job/retirement and about personal experience. I find it really enlightening reading your thoughts.
Isn't it crazy we waste our sole life earning it, all in a big big stress ?!
There must be some better way to do it. 2018 should tell me that.

Yeah, retirement is great, if you are ready for it. I wouldn't have wanted to retire any earlier - and I do miss the buzz and companionship of the workplace - and the other stuff that goes with it. You definitely need some new, important, goals to replace the work/career driven ones - and the sense of identity/achievement that goes with some roles. Luckily I have plenty of interests and, whilst work/career was important to me, I always worked to live, rather than the other way around.

And, retirement is only a relief if you have enough resources to enjoy it. You don't need a fortune, as long as you are prepared to live a relatively modest lifestyle - but you certainly don't want to be worrying about money.
Post Reply