2017 - good riddance

All things Rugby
jolindien

Re: 2017 - good riddance

Post by jolindien »

ovalball, I am ready for retirement according to what you say !

I have no career, no identity/achievement link to any role, no colleague, just plenty of stress (work has turned crazy those days).
I am also already living a relatively modest lifestyle.
I am the perfect candidate for retirement, but unlike you, i would sure retire early and not work anymore to live if i could. :nod:
Salanya

Post by Salanya »

The bugger that is 2017 and all it's lurgies is following me into 2018. It can bloody well piss off alright :x
bobbity

Post by bobbity »

The Native wrote:Relationship break and my ex and daughter moving to Hamilton was my low light*, so not as bad as others. But 2017 can still suck my dick because no one else is.

*to attend Waikato University so not at all bitter about it.

I'd not picked up on that news, sorry to hear it.

Sad start to the year when the other half's much loved dog died. Taken her a long time to get over it, he was a friend during some very dark times (and better times before she met me). Couple of days later my team and the management tier above were called into one of those meetings, we were gone by April. 2018 has started fairly poorly with my parents looking like they're going to have to temporarily relocate to Cornwall for the last few months of my grandmother's cancer.

Still, I've started my own business and am making a bit of money. Financially we're righting the ship slowly.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

5) relationship ends. Kinda. She wants to have another go. Not sure I'm arsed.

4) Friends married off are rarely to be seen these days. Though the year ended nicely with lots of the unmarried group all experiencing the same when we met up.

3) Ankle injury. Twice, led to tons of weight gain and a bit of a lack of confidence.

2) Anxiety issues.

1) Bell's Palsy. Bloody scary. i thought I was having a stroke. Resolved in weeks with medication though.

Still a better year than 2016. 2018 is about time things got on the up swing.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

jolindien wrote:ovalball, I am ready for retirement according to what you say !

I have no career, no identity/achievement link to any role, no colleague, just plenty of stress (work has turned crazy those days).
I am the perfect candidate for retirement, but unlike you, i would sure retire early and not work anymore to live if i could. :nod:

I did, actually, retire early @ 61 - I'd lost my hunger, so jacked it in about 4 years ago - which is why my main pensions don't kick in for a couple of months more (when I'm 65) - been living off savings mostly. Mrs Oval took early retirement a year ago, she's still a couple of year of getting her state pension.
aitch@wasps

Post by aitch@wasps »

Doog & I gave up smoking on 4th & 6th Feb respectively, vaping instead. Far easier than anticipated.

Started getting hip pain in March, and now can’t walk very far without having to sit awhile. Weight has piled on, viscous circle.

Discovered that our flat only has a remaining lease of 55 years (mortgage lenders won’t touch anything under 80 years), cost of extending is £38k! :shock:

Mother in law snapped an ankle walking over (purposefully to prevent people walking on it :roll: ) uneven cobbles without using her walking stick. Plated, pinned, plastered & housebound for six weeks. Now booted and fairly mobile but still can’t leave the house...
Last edited by aitch@wasps on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

aitch@wasps wrote:Doog & I gave up smoking on 4th & 6th Feb respectively, vaping instead. Far easier than anticipated.

Started getting hip pain in March, and now can’t walk very far without having to sit awhile. Weight has piled on, viscous circle.

Discovered that our flat only has a remaining lease of 55 years (mortgage lenders won’t touch anything under 80 years), cost of extending is £38k! :shock:
Wow - that's expensive. My son had the same problem when he came to sell his flat in 2017 - It's costing him £15K. I guess your flat must be worth twice (plus) what his is. The Landlords are also a complete pain to deal with.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

ovalball wrote:
jolindien wrote:ovalball, I am ready for retirement according to what you say !

I did, actually, retire early @ 61 - I'd lost my hunger, so jacked it in about 4 years ago - which is why my main pensions don't kick in for a couple of months more (when I'm 65) - been living off savings mostly. Mrs Oval took early retirement a year ago, she's still a couple of year of getting her state pension.
So, in a way you do confirm what i am feeling : you and your wife did quit your job early and prefer retirement, even if you need to use the savings until the pension. I know quite some people in similar situations.
This quite confirm my views on jobs (rather than work), thanks, and happy retirement.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

I had man-flu to see in the New Year.

Other than that it was a pretty good year. Spent ten months of it travelling, visited 20 new countries, worked less hours with virtually no stress and still came out ahead. :thumbup:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

jolindien wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Shit of a year for me.

In no particular order:

Got shafted out of a $20K payrise after delivering two huge projects.

Ankle still hasn't healed from last year

Still fat from Ankle surgery

Depressed about that.

But:

Resigning from work tomorrow when I return after a great 10 days off which means they are screwed for their PCI compliance in March :D

Came 3rd in my Martial arts international competition in October after a year out.
:thumbup:

Hope you'll tell us about their faces :nod:

As with all C-Level Execs, Bafflement that I would dare to leave the company :lol: :lol:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

eldanielfire wrote:5) relationship ends. Kinda. She wants to have another go. Not sure I'm arsed.

4) Friends married off are rarely to be seen these days. Though the year ended nicely with lots of the unmarried group all experiencing the same when we met up.

3) Ankle injury. Twice, led to tons of weight gain and a bit of a lack of confidence.

2) Anxiety issues.

1) Bell's Palsy. Bloody scary. i thought I was having a stroke. Resolved in weeks with medication though.

Still a better year than 2016. 2018 is about time things got on the up swing.
You'll get used to the Friends with Kids thing - very common.

The Ankle thing is a bitch - I'm on Isowhey shakes to help drop weight as it's still pretty painful and can't exercise as much as I want to. It helps.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Came 3rd in my Martial arts international competition in October after a year out.
Must be happy with that. :thumbup:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

kiwinoz wrote:
Pat the Ex Mat wrote:Came 3rd in my Martial arts international competition in October after a year out.
Must be happy with that. :thumbup:
I very much was - it was in the open division out of 165.

Knockout comp and had to go 4 times to decide 1-3 places.

In the end they couldn't decide so it came down to Rock > Paper > Scissors (Roshambo) as no more time was allocated. :lol:
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Mine was grand and then I get the call on Christmas Eve that the brother has sepsis and is on his way out. I get on a plane a few days later and the fúcker is still alive after ruining Christmas. Tbf he looks like he might lose a few bits but he deserves that for causing a scene. He ain't out of the woods yet and is still on life support but my online medical cert indicates he will make it.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

2017 was a benchmark fúcking lowlight year from beginning to end. Not quite as ghastly as enzedder's in terms of personal health, but utterly sterculent nonetheless.

- Broke leg on New Year's day, operated on two days after; holiday ruined, weeks off work on top of that.

- Discover I have have hernia while off work; get it operated on later.

- Catch vomit / shits bug that loses me many more days at work, clings on for ages and makes me miss going to a few games.

[And then shit gets seriously nasty].

- Son writes off car and gets hurt (upside: decent payout, injury minor).

- Daughter breaks up messily with longtime live-in BF and moves home with silly dog in tow (upside: nice to have her back and Benny is a nice mutt really).

- Mum dies.

- Rather muted holiday in NZ ends with me catching chest bug that seems to have rooted my ears. Probably looking at grommets or somesuch.

- Op. to remove large screw from knee.

- No christmas holiday away for first time in two decades.

I will neither miss nor pine for 2017.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I suppose on balance I didn't really have any horror stories in 2017.

Bad:
Previous job shafted me out of a pay rise.
Previous job was a bit shit really.
Got eviction notice from previous apartment, was being sold. Loved the area.
Housing hunting twice in one year.

Good:
Left that job and got a new one, more responsibilities, better role, more freedom.
Moved in with partner.
Hit some personal milestones and goals.
Did a lot of traveling.
Friends got married, some friends got pregnant, and all of the associated festivities around those.
Family all in good health and happy.

I'll take it.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

MungoMan wrote:
I will neither miss nor pine for 2017.
Ouch mate. Here's to having another crack this year.
maherro

Post by maherro »

Good:
Finished my Fy1 year now an Fy2/SHO in old money

Offered interview for my preferred training stream

Living with GF has been a success - now saving to buy a ring for next year

Bad:
Effectively haven't played rugby in a year

Weight has piled on a bit

Working on psych at the moment which is soul crushing

GF under a lot of pressure from her family, has resulted in a lot of tears + discussion
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

An awful year.

Bad:

Colon cancer. Sorted via colorectal surgery.

Good:

It was caught in early stage. CT scan has cleared me. No spreading which is a major relief.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Some tough times spoken about here. Hope all of you find 2018 to be a happier and more peaceful year. For my part, 2017 had both the biggest ups and the biggest downs of any year in my life. Absurd number of life changes for a 12 month period, although predominately positive, thankfully.

EverReady; all the best to your brother.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

Good:
(As far as I`m concerned) I`m still around
Bad!
Watching the wife`s health deteriorate
Ospreys form

Oh and Llanelli winning Pro 12. (They will be like England`s Wendyball supporters and still be talking and singing about it in 30 years time. Just like when they beat the ABs.) :roll:

:twisted:
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Apparently in 2017 there were no commercial jet airliner fatal crashes. First in 60 years?
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Man In Black wrote:
Turbogoat wrote:Apparently in 2017 there were no commercial jet airliner fatal crashes. First in 60 years?
Did you see who claimed responsibility for that?
Got it second hand, think it was on Fox news?
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Got the all clear after a positive bowel cancer test....tick.

Sold a block of land I've owned since the 80s for a vast profit, still have another block to flick off later...my original pension plan....tick. So........

Pulled the pin on work a couple of years early, just had enough of dealing with dickheads day in day out. Pension in 2019, live off savings till then.

At a loose end right now but enjoying spending mornings at the beach every day with the dog, and on a mission to clean it completely of plastic, junk and cigarette butts. Have removed over 300 kg of plastic and more than 2000 ciggie butts over the last 3 months....people are such pigs, but it gives me a sense of satisfaction each day that I never got from working. Having a swim each morning is nice as well.

Just going to wait and see what come up in 2018, but I need something to occupy my time.

Really want the ABs to stick it to England later in the year.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

ZappaMan wrote:Some tough times spoken about here. Hope all of you find 2018 to be a happier and more peaceful year. For my part, 2017 had both the biggest ups and the biggest downs of any year in my life. Absurd number of life changes for a 12 month period, although predominately positive, thankfully.

EverReady; all the best to your brother.
Thanks Zappa :thumbup:
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

pheww, there is some serious shits going on in there... sorry for you lot.

how we can still have shitfights over a forward pass (which never happened by the way) is really some marvel of the human mind... the kind of stuff that keeps you alive in that shity journey that life is.
Yourmother

Post by Yourmother »

jolindien wrote:
Yourmother wrote:To those who've also had a shite year.

My lowlights being id fraud with severe anxiety, a really drawn out shite time with rebuilding work, and the worst - a new CEO who doesn’t drink!

What are your “Flush it down the dunny” moments ?
id fraud :shock:

like what, very wrong stuff ?
So it started as I received a letter from Currys saying my first direct debit would be in a weeks time to pay off about £2.5k credit agreement.

Called them, they then directed me to the company that handles store credit - Creation Finance. I had to call action fraud also - who did nothing - except give a reference number. Creation said don’t worry and they’d send a declaration form through for me to sign. Nothing arrived. They said to wait. Becoming paranoid about intercepted post now. Then when called next they said, they hadn’t sent it. Meanwhile, I’m wondering the level of id fraud and what else what be being set up under my name, and with what kind of clever Id. Can I prove it wasn’t me? They had managed to set up a credit account as well as the direct debit to my bank. I also could not locate a load of my id documents. Then received a text message from Mercedes finance, who when called confirmed my number was linked to an account. Mass paranoia ensued. Became convinced the finance company was delaying in order to sell the debt to collectors. Was waking at 2am each morning. Could not sleep. Could not eat. The uncertainty and lack of control.

So, it planned out the Finance agreement had been set up with no id. Just a printed bank statement. And likewise a direct debit was set up. I was relieved but appalled by it. The finance company wrote it off as fraud. Pretty sure they did nothing despite them having cctv, as it was set up in store. From what I have heard since then. They just write it off always, and have budgeted for it.

The prick tried it again online, but application was rejected, as have more credit protection now.

The mercedes thing was fortunately just a clerical error on the phone number. But bloody bad timing. Id docs were located and safe thankfully.

Anyway, it was a shit time. And whilst the half year of living in rubble building work was going on. Obviously could not rule out the builders, for the above, but can’t prove anything.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

obelixtim wrote:Got the all clear after a positive bowel cancer test....tick.

Sold a block of land I've owned since the 80s for a vast profit, still have another block to flick off later...my original pension plan....tick. So........

Pulled the pin on work a couple of years early, just had enough of dealing with dickheads day in day out. Pension in 2019, live off savings till then.

At a loose end right now but enjoying spending mornings at the beach every day with the dog, and on a mission to clean it completely of plastic, junk and cigarette butts. Have removed over 300 kg of plastic and more than 2000 ciggie butts over the last 3 months....people are such pigs, but it gives me a sense of satisfaction each day that I never got from working. Having a swim each morning is nice as well.

Just going to wait and see what come up in 2018, but I need something to occupy my time.

Really want the ABs to stick it to England later in the year.
That's a great plan mate!
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

EverReady wrote:Mine was grand and then I get the call on Christmas Eve that the brother has sepsis and is on his way out. I get on a plane a few days later and the fúcker is still alive after ruining Christmas. Tbf he looks like he might lose a few bits but he deserves that for causing a scene. He ain't out of the woods yet and is still on life support but my online medical cert indicates he will make it.
How did he get sepsis
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

Yourmother wrote:
jolindien wrote:
Yourmother wrote:To those who've also had a shite year.

My lowlights being id fraud with severe anxiety, a really drawn out shite time with rebuilding work, and the worst - a new CEO who doesn’t drink!

What are your “Flush it down the dunny” moments ?
id fraud :shock:

like what, very wrong stuff ?
So it started as I received a letter from Currys saying my first direct debit would be in a weeks time to pay off about £2.5k credit agreement.

Called them, they then directed me to the company that handles store credit - Creation Finance. I had to call action fraud also - who did nothing - except give a reference number. Creation said don’t worry and they’d send a declaration form through for me to sign. Nothing arrived. They said to wait. Becoming paranoid about intercepted post now. Then when called next they said, they hadn’t sent it. Meanwhile, I’m wondering the level of id fraud and what else what be being set up under my name, and with what kind of clever Id. Can I prove it wasn’t me? They had managed to set up a credit account as well as the direct debit to my bank. I also could not locate a load of my id documents. Then received a text message from Mercedes finance, who when called confirmed my number was linked to an account. Mass paranoia ensued. Became convinced the finance company was delaying in order to sell the debt to collectors. Was waking at 2am each morning. Could not sleep. Could not eat. The uncertainty and lack of control.

So, it planned out the Finance agreement had been set up with no id. Just a printed bank statement. And likewise a direct debit was set up. I was relieved but appalled by it. The finance company wrote it off as fraud. Pretty sure they did nothing despite them having cctv, as it was set up in store. From what I have heard since then. They just write it off always, and have budgeted for it.

The prick tried it again online, but application was rejected, as have more credit protection now.

The mercedes thing was fortunately just a clerical error on the phone number. But bloody bad timing. Id docs were located and safe thankfully.

Anyway, it was a shit time. And whilst the half year of living in rubble building work was going on. Obviously could not rule out the builders, for the above, but can’t prove anything.
damn, fùck that shit.

there is fùcking no control at all in compnaies and banks and co... you could basically put anybody to the sword without fudge all documents, and then the poor guy have to manage that shit and prove he is not the damn fùcker.

Is it so easy to register stuff for someone, you can regsiter or cut a phone line so easily, and no control at all will be made ... etc.

Main stuff, and first one if i may say, is to put a complaint at the police... just in case and for future crap, cause you never know what shit will come back, and if a fùcker is after you, you have to have a shield since the first second you know there is a fraud.
Like you declare and put a complaint since the 1st second you know some shit is going on, so that anything that comes next will be voided or at least easily disputed when confronted to that complaint.

really sorry for you mate, horrible stuff, and this world makes it so easy, they make everything possible with no control. Basically like leaving the key on your car and house at anytime.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Duff Paddy wrote:
EverReady wrote:Mine was grand and then I get the call on Christmas Eve that the brother has sepsis and is on his way out. I get on a plane a few days later and the fúcker is still alive after ruining Christmas. Tbf he looks like he might lose a few bits but he deserves that for causing a scene. He ain't out of the woods yet and is still on life support but my online medical cert indicates he will make it.
How did he get sepsis
They think it might have been a bite off his own dog. Not sure though as that was just over a week before. He also has a small cut on his hand so it might have been that. When it all settles down I will find out what they treated him for but I think it was the dog bite bacteria.