This Jordan Peterson bloke

All things Rugby
Post Reply
Brumbieman
Posts: 3484
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Brumbieman »

Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
C69
Posts: 39697
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by C69 »

Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Mick Mannock »

He appears to attract those keen to smear him
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23340
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Mick Mannock »

Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
Had you heard of Cathy Newman either?
C69
Posts: 39697
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by C69 »

Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
Had you heard of Cathy Newman either?
TBH I didn't know her name. But I would.
User avatar
danthefan
Posts: 22729
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by danthefan »

c69 wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
Had you heard of Cathy Newman either?
TBH I didn't know her name. But I would.
She did a very poor interview.

"So you're saying <insert something he didn't say>!?" with a hint of outrage over and over and over and over again.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12048
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by danny_fitz »

He popped up on my radar several months ago while I was reading some article about the erosion of free speech on US uni campuses. Unfortunately for him his stance against more of the batshit nonsense that is going on over there has made him a bit of a poster boy for the 'alt right' so he has probably unfairly been lumped together with the likes of Milo Yiannopoulos.
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by 4071 »

c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Peterson does not like the alt-right either. He regards the extremities on either side of the political spectrum with deep suspicion, but because he offends the left more than the right they have become more established as being in direct opposition to him.

I've seen a few of his lectures, and whilst I don't always agree with him he at least comes across as reasonable, rational and rigorous. Which makes a pleasant change.
User avatar
troglodiet
Posts: 6011
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by troglodiet »

He's great.

Pity he came into the limelight for all the wrong reasons (the first being a spat with some intersex/gender fluid/transgender or something). I must say I endorse the viewpoints he put forth during that debate and others that followed.

He totally schooled that Ch4 interviewer ("So what you're saying is....").

Before he became known to most people, he was already famous, and had over 400 hours of his lectures in psychiatry and philosophy on YouTube. I've been a follower of his since long before his "internet fame".

He has absolutely nothing to do with the alt-right, alt-light or any political group. He is in fact a liberal, but speaks out about extremists on all sides.

His only real political involvement is with Canada's Bill C-16.


I suggest, before criticising him for what you think he might be based on the more controversial and sensationalist Youtube videos, you have a look at his channel first and watch some of his lectures, which spans back a couple of years. It's helluva interesting, especially if you're interested in psychology and philosophy (and religion even).
Last edited by troglodiet on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
4071
Posts: 5108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by 4071 »

troglodiet wrote:He's great.

Pity he came into the limelight for all the wrong reasons (the first being a spat with some intersex/gender fluid/transgender or something). I must say I endorse the viewpoints he put forth during that debate and others that followed.

He totally schooled that Ch4 interviewer ("So what you're saying is....").

Before he became known to most people, he was already famous, and had over 400 hours of his lectures in psychiatry and philosophy. I've been a follower of his since long before his "internet fame".

He has absolutely nothing to do with the alt-right, alt-light or any political group. He is in fact a liberal, but speaks out about extremists on all sides.

His only real political involvement is with Canada's Bill C-16.


I suggest, before criticising him for what you think he might be based on the more controversial and sensationalist Youtube videos, you have a look at his channel first and watch some of his lectures, which spans back a couple of years. It's helluva interesting, especially if you're interested in psychology and philosophy (and religion even).

Quite. He can be outspoken, which rubs some people up the wrong way, but when it comes to gender his argument is simply that men and women are equal, but not the same. The same argument was rather uncontroversially the basis for 'Men from Mars; Women are from Venus'. It's a pretty mainstream position.

It comes down to the Nature v Nurture debate, which is a tricky one. Partly because the majority of people probably hold that nature plays a major role, yet the totality of left-wing academia is predicated on the idea that Nurture is everything - it is social conditioning and social power structures that drive differences in outcome, rather than differences between groups of people. It is this disconnect in fundamental philosophies which causes many to see academia as being at a distance from reality.
Last edited by 4071 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16944
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Zakar »

Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
Had you heard of Cathy Newman either?
I hadn't before people here started frothing about that video. Who is she, and should I care?
User avatar
naki
Posts: 14209
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by naki »

Know nothing of him other than the now uberviral “interview”, which may have set back feminism a generation or two. All he had to do there was softly bat back Newman’s ridiculously aggressive and nonsensical attacks and he did that well enough.

He’s an alt-righty? Didn’t seem like it, came across as holding fairly moderate and logical views if that admittedly small snippet was anything to go by.

But as I said, don’t know the rest of his work (and he may be some kind of closeted Nazi for all I know) but if he’s being held up as some kind of fascist boogeyman then liberals are really straining now.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12048
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by danny_fitz »

Zakar wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
Had you heard of Cathy Newman either?
I hadn't before people here started frothing about that video. Who is she, and should I care?
She is actually not a bad news anchor / journalist but over recent years her interview style has become more belligerent and hectoring (along with most other TV journalists) to the point where any nuance or even context has been thrown out the window in the pursuit of cheap point scoring rather then challenging or dismantling the views of the subject they are interviewing. You can get away with that approach while conducting a 3 min interview with some evasive politician but for anything longer you can be badly exposed when dealing with someone who is unflappable, calm and armed to the teeth with peer reviewed facts and figures.
Last edited by danny_fitz on Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
harvey wilson
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by harvey wilson »

c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 14949
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by anonymous_joe »

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
They're his main support base, are they not?
User avatar
crash 669
Posts: 3694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by crash 669 »

4071 wrote:Quite. He can be outspoken, which rubs some people up the wrong way, but when it comes to gender his argument is simply that men and women are equal, but not the same. The same argument was rather uncontroversially the basis for 'Men from Mars; Women are from Venus'. It's a pretty mainstream position.

It comes down to the Nature v Nurture debate, which is a tricky one. Partly because the majority of people probably hold that nature plays a major role, yet the totality of left-wing academia is predicated on the idea that Nurture is everything - it is social conditioning and social power structures that drive differences in outcome, rather than differences between groups of people. It is this disconnect in fundamental philosophies which causes many to see academia as being at a distance from reality.
That's where I diverge with JP because I think he overplays the "Marxist academics" angle far too much, both in the number of academics who are marxists and the actual threat of the marxism they're espousing. It starts to smack of someone who's not very savvy when it comes to political science.

That said I do agree with him on many matters of free speech, and that equality of outcome is not the same as equality of opportunity and he's not as right wing as he's been portrayed.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14488
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by fatcat »

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
C69 is thick as mince when it comes to the alt right.
harvey wilson
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by harvey wilson »

anonymous_joe wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
They're his main support base, are they not?
No.
penguin
Posts: 8028
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by penguin »

crash 669 wrote:
4071 wrote:Quite. He can be outspoken, which rubs some people up the wrong way, but when it comes to gender his argument is simply that men and women are equal, but not the same. The same argument was rather uncontroversially the basis for 'Men from Mars; Women are from Venus'. It's a pretty mainstream position.

It comes down to the Nature v Nurture debate, which is a tricky one. Partly because the majority of people probably hold that nature plays a major role, yet the totality of left-wing academia is predicated on the idea that Nurture is everything - it is social conditioning and social power structures that drive differences in outcome, rather than differences between groups of people. It is this disconnect in fundamental philosophies which causes many to see academia as being at a distance from reality.
That's where I diverge with JP because I think he overplays the "Marxist academics" angle far too much, both in the number of academics who are marxists and the actual threat of the marxism they're espousing. It starts to smack of someone who's not very savvy when it comes to political science.

That said I do agree with him on many matters of free speech, and that equality of outcome is not the same as equality of opportunity and he's not as right wing as he's been portrayed.
I agree - he was pretty reasonable up to that point. Drawing a parallel was fine, in terms of control of language and 'group thinking', but saying they were the same was strangely heavy handed when he'd been quite careful with most other answers.
User avatar
troglodiet
Posts: 6011
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by troglodiet »

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .

In his own words:
https://youtu.be/0oJBJc9Ou2A

And to those who think he's a wannabe intellectual, he's been a professor in psychology at the university of Toronto for the last 20 years. Before that he was an associate professor at Harvard. He is actually Dr. Jordan Peterson, with a Ph.D in clinical psychology. He also has a BA degree in political science.
User avatar
Wilson's Toffee
Posts: 24454
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

troglodiet wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .

In his own words:
https://youtu.be/0oJBJc9Ou2A

And to those who think he's a wannabe intellectual, he's been a professor in psychology at the university of Toronto for the last 20 years. Before that he was an associate professor at Harvard. He is actually Dr. Jordan Peterson, with a Ph.D in clinical psychology. He also has a BA degree in political science.

Peterson has been around awhile. He managed to avoid pissing of the lunatic left, till recently.

Now he is in for the hard yards - they NEVER forget, they NEVER forgive.
User avatar
troglodiet
Posts: 6011
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by troglodiet »

Wilson's Toffee wrote: Peterson has been around awhile. He managed to avoid pissing of the lunatic left, till recently.

Now he is in for the hard yards - they NEVER forget, they NEVER forgive.


Jip, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I've been a follower of him long before he became a "celebrity" for all the wrong reasons.

As for the never forget, never forgive.....that's Anonymous (the hacktivist group). They're not entirely left-wing either. Or right-wing for that matter.
User avatar
anonymous_joe
Posts: 14949
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by anonymous_joe »

harvey wilson wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
They're his main support base, are they not?
No.
:lol:

Little bit too close to home?
harvey wilson
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by harvey wilson »

anonymous_joe wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
anonymous_joe wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote: I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
They're his main support base, are they not?
No.
:lol:

Little bit too close to home?
Christ thats weak. Here, have some pity.
User avatar
crash 669
Posts: 3694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by crash 669 »

troglodiet wrote: In his own words:
https://youtu.be/0oJBJc9Ou2A

And to those who think he's a wannabe intellectual, he's been a professor in psychology at the university of Toronto for the last 20 years. Before that he was an associate professor at Harvard. He is actually Dr. Jordan Peterson, with a Ph.D in clinical psychology. He also has a BA degree in political science.
IN that video at the 3:50 mark he claims that the Humanities are dominated by radical leftists and while that may be more true to some extent in the states it is categorically not true of this country or Europe.

In my field of research, which is in the humanities, and at the universities I've been employed by, the political spectrum is broadly represented from the right (I wouldn't say far right because I think it's very difficult to be an intelligent and decent person and a fascist) to the extreme left - but the extreme left isn't represented in the faculty members at all, only amongst students and usually graduate students. The majority of faculty boards in the UK are dominated by centrists, who are socially left wing and economically centre-right, much as you'd expect given the social make up of people who become professors.

When he starts calling people radical leftists, he's either heavily misguided about how far left they are, or he's promoting an agenda that makes him popular with the far right.
User avatar
Wilson's Toffee
Posts: 24454
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Those are power drunk hackers (the group Anonymous).

But the filthy lot, the Antifa and One World staters, the Soros suckers, the Clinton Clan and Obama Okes, and the like, they cannot STAND a man who thinks for himself. And hates him for it.

Especially not if he expresses his thoughts and ideas and principles in public.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14488
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by fatcat »

crash 669 wrote:
troglodiet wrote: In his own words:
https://youtu.be/0oJBJc9Ou2A

And to those who think he's a wannabe intellectual, he's been a professor in psychology at the university of Toronto for the last 20 years. Before that he was an associate professor at Harvard. He is actually Dr. Jordan Peterson, with a Ph.D in clinical psychology. He also has a BA degree in political science.
IN that video at the 3:50 mark he claims that the Humanities are dominated by radical leftists and while that may be more true to some extent in the states it is categorically not true of this country or Europe.

In my field of research, which is in the humanities, and at the universities I've been employed by, the political spectrum is broadly represented from the right (I wouldn't say far right because I think it's very difficult to be an intelligent and decent person and a fascist) to the extreme left - but the extreme left isn't represented in the faculty members at all, only amongst students and usually graduate students. The majority of faculty boards in the UK are dominated by centrists, who are socially left wing and economically centre-right, much as you'd expect given the social make up of people who become professors.

When he starts calling people radical leftists, he's either heavily misguided about how far left they are, or he's promoting an agenda that makes him popular with the far right.
Or, as you suggest, he's talking about North America. And is possibly using the term dominating in place of shouting the loudest.
harvey wilson
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by harvey wilson »

He's done an interview with Dutch tv about it and mentions the Guardian trying to smear him with the alt right tag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK2-xYyNpYk
C69
Posts: 39697
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by C69 »

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
I had already stated I had never heard of him and it seems he has had to defend himself against alt right accussations in the past. I doubt he would take offence at such a label, there are others on here to do that for him.
A quick google tells me there are loads who associate him with the altright and a quite a few of that demographic support his views on certain subjects.
As I said all this publicity and outrage will help him sell books and seminar tickets. I've even said he has interesting and provocative ideas. Certainly the alt right fan bois on here have jumped into defend him.
Oh yeah, sorry none of them have the honesty to call themselves that. But hey it's just a label not a pronoun though :)
User avatar
troglodiet
Posts: 6011
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by troglodiet »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:Those are power drunk hackers (the group Anonymous).

But the filthy lot, the Antifa and One World staters, the Soros suckers, the Clinton Clan and Obama Okes, and the like, they cannot STAND a man who thinks for himself. And hates him for it.

Especially not if he expresses his thoughts and ideas and principles in public.


Nah, Anonymous is all but dead. And even in their glory days, they weren't really a bunch of hackers. I'd guess they probably had less than 10 real hackers behind the scenes. The rest were script kiddies who used pre-written software to help with DDOS attacks, and 4Chan users who just associated themselves with Anonymous for the lulz.

Peterson would appreciate a decent debate with anybody who disagrees with him. But I would recommend that person to be VERY well prepared for the interview.

But yeah, I've been a follower of him long before this debacle, since his lectures helps me a lot with dealing with my own mental health.

And his lectures in which he uses Biblical references is especially great. He seems to have the same outlook as me in this regard, in that the Holy Scriptures were all allegorical. In fact, his lectures can be used verbatim in a Masonic Lodge. I've had no indication that he is a Mason, but his philosophical interpretations of Biblical stories are just about what Masonry is all about.
Last edited by troglodiet on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
harvey wilson
Posts: 539
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:46 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by harvey wilson »

c69 wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
I had already stated I had never heard of him and it seems he has had to defend himself against alt right accussations in the past. I doubt he would take offence at such a label, there are others on here to do that for him.
A quick google tells me there are loads who associate him with the altright and a quite a few of that demographic support his views on certain subjects.
As I said all this publicity and outrage will help him sell books and seminar tickets. I've even said he has interesting and provocative ideas. Certainly the alt right fan bois on here have jumped into defend him.
Oh yeah, sorry none of them have the honesty to call themselves that. But hey it's just a label not a pronoun though :)
Being associated with the alt right and having to defend yourself against allegations don't necessarily mean you are part of it , plenty of people want to label him that so they can dismiss him.
I'm not sure if you think I'm alt right but the things I watch of his are more about relationships and motivating yourself which are things I've struggled with and his lectures have been a big help there.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12320
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Mog The Almighty »

c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
God this grates me.

Science and reason doesn't pick political sides. It's true or it's not. Global warming is not "left". What Peterson says is not "right".

Anything that is not mainstream PC nonsense is not by default "alt right". He is in fact not "alt right" at all and he's not whoring himself for anything, he's been well known for f-cking ages.

Saying something like, "all the research and evidence suggests that in modern, secular western societies, sexism in the workplace is not a major contributor to the wage gap between men and women" - and then backing that up with solid facts and reason is NOT "alt right". It might not be lefty-PC-feminist-SJW-whatever. But it's not alt-right.

For the record, I'm not Peterson's biggest fan ever. But I am forced to broadly agree with him on most of his major points, just because it's so evidently true.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
C69
Posts: 39697
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by C69 »

harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .
I had already stated I had never heard of him and it seems he has had to defend himself against alt right accussations in the past. I doubt he would take offence at such a label, there are others on here to do that for him.
A quick google tells me there are loads who associate him with the altright and a quite a few of that demographic support his views on certain subjects.
As I said all this publicity and outrage will help him sell books and seminar tickets. I've even said he has interesting and provocative ideas. Certainly the alt right fan bois on here have jumped into defend him.
Oh yeah, sorry none of them have the honesty to call themselves that. But hey it's just a label not a pronoun though :)
Being associated with the alt right and having to defend yourself against allegations don't necessarily mean you are part of it , plenty of people want to label him that so they can dismiss him.
I'm not sure if you think I'm alt rightbut the things I watch of his are more about relationships and motivating yourself which are things I've struggled with and his lectures have been a big help there.
I've not noticed you before and no idea about your flavour.
As I said he has interesting and provocative thoughts.
C69
Posts: 39697
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by C69 »

Man In Black wrote:
I've not noticed you before and no idea about your flavour.
As I said he has interesting and provocative thoughts.
You say it best, when you say nothing at all.
The smile on your face let's me know that you need me
User avatar
troglodiet
Posts: 6011
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by troglodiet »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
troglodiet wrote:
Wilson's Toffee wrote: Peterson has been around awhile. He managed to avoid pissing of the lunatic left, till recently.

Now he is in for the hard yards - they NEVER forget, they NEVER forgive.


Jip, I mentioned earlier in this thread that I've been a follower of him long before he became a "celebrity" for all the wrong reasons.

As for the never forget, never forgive.....that's Anonymous (the hacktivist group). They're not entirely left-wing either. Or right-wing for that matter.
Anonymous is amorphous is it not?

I'd not be surprised at all though if there is not a number of people who are both antifa and Anonymous.

That is the major reason they're actually a non-entity.

According to their own "rules", everybody is, or can be, Anonymous.

With no hierarchy, no broad set of goals or an indication what they really stand for, it's a recipe for disaster.

Anonymous have been part of Antifa, against Antifa, part of the Occupy-movement, opposed to the Occupy-movement, part of the alt-right, alt-left, SJW.....you name a cause and they (or a certain part of them) are there.

The real Anonymous, whose main attack was against the Church of Scientology, and who fought for freedom of the internet, is all but gone.

I think even /pol/ on 4chan (one of their main feeds of followers) are a shadow of their former self.
C69
Posts: 39697
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by C69 »

Image
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 12320
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
Mog The Almighty wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
God this grates me.

Science and reason doesn't pick political sides. It's true or it's not. Global warming is not "left". What Peterson says is not "right".

Anything that is not mainstream PC nonsense is not by default "alt right". He is in fact not "alt right" at all and he's not whoring himself for anything, he's been well known for f-cking ages.

Saying something like, "all the research and evidence suggests that in modern, secular western societies, sexism in the workplace is not a major contributor to the wage gap between men and women" - and then backing that up with solid facts and reason is NOT "alt right". It might not be lefty-PC-feminist-SJW-whatever. But it's not alt-right.

For the record, I'm not Peterson's biggest fan ever. But I am forced to broadly agree with him on most of his major points, just because it's so evidently true.
And so says the man on the Midsommarkransen light-rail tram.
Firstly, it's called the tunnelbana, not the "light-rail tram".

Secondly, I live in the forest like a motherf-cking wild man. I have to dig my house out of the snow every morning. And I live surrounded by moose and wolves and bears and shit. I'm not an inner-city hipster.
User avatar
troglodiet
Posts: 6011
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by troglodiet »

Seneca of the Night wrote:
troglodiet wrote:
harvey wilson wrote:
c69 wrote:
Brumbieman wrote:Never heard of him until a week ago. Just watched that interview with Kathy Newman.

What's everyone's thoughts on the guy other than that?
I'd never heard of him either. Seems to be whoring himself as some sort of intellectual giant for the alt right. Good gig for himself I suppose. Has some interesting and provocative ideas and I'm sure his seminars and book sales will be massively benefited from the interview.
Thats a pretty cheap shot, he's not part of the alt right .

In his own words:
https://youtu.be/0oJBJc9Ou2A

And to those who think he's a wannabe intellectual, he's been a professor in psychology at the university of Toronto for the last 20 years. Before that he was an associate professor at Harvard. He is actually Dr. Jordan Peterson, with a Ph.D in clinical psychology. He also has a BA degree in political science.
I think that's the thing isn't it: he's a praticising boots on the ground pyschologist with an academic pedigree who is also politically aware. He doesn't need to be an intellect of Einstein proportions: he's just the lucky guy with the right venn diagram of skills for these crazy times.

Exactly. He's almost more of a philosopher than a psychologist; his teachings in psychology are all related to politics and religion. Him having degrees in both psychology and politics, suffering from depression, and being religious, sets himself up perfectly for debating current issues.
C69
Posts: 39697
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by C69 »

I prefered good old Stephen Covey myself
User avatar
Uthikoloshe
Posts: 5490
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The void

Re: This Jordan Peterson bloke

Post by Uthikoloshe »

That was a crushingly one sided debate.

Image
Post Reply