Chat Forum
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 7:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:50 pm 

Seems like a strange move. At just 25 years of age, he's a baby for tight forward. His professional Rugby career is only just getting started in NZ, and now it's over - he's only just starting his 3rd season of Super Rugby and he missed most of last year through injury. So he's really played just one full season!

I guess the money was too good to refuse, and he has decided that an All Black jersey won't add much more to hus value. It's a shame because I think he could have been a test player, as a blindside flanker, a small lock or a bench player who could cover backrow and lock. He'll be an absolute God in easy rugby.

Quote:
Hurricanes lock Michael Fatialofa signs two-year deal with Worcester Warriors

Michael Fatialofa is leaving the Hurricanes for England later this year.

Hurricanes lock Michael Fatialofa has joined the exodus of Kiwi rugby players heading overseas.

Fatialofa has signed a two-year deal with English club side Worcester Warriors, the Hurricanes confirmed on Thursday.

The 25-year-old joined the Hurricanes in 2016, the year the Wellington-based franchise won their maiden Super Rugby title, but will leave for England when their 2018 season comes to an end.

Worcester are struggling in the English Premiership, sitting just one place and 10 points above the bottom of the table, but they should avoid relegation and Fatialofa is the club's ninth signing for the 2018-19 season.

Hurricanes coach Chris Boyd, who will later this year be joining Fatialofa in England as Northampton's Director of Rugby, said the former New Zealand Schools representative would still play a leading role for the rest of this season.

Fatialofa suffered a serious knee injury last year but has recently returned to the Hurricanes side.

"Michael has been an integral part of the squad during his time at the club, especially in 2016 when we won the title," he said in a statement.

"His form that season played a big part in our title win and we know he would like to be part of another memorable season and have a big hand in it.

"In saying that, we will wish him all the best for his future at Worcester when the time comes."

Fatialofa played his provincial rugby for Southland from 2011-14 before returning to Auckland, where was he born and educated, in 2015.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:53 pm 

Could be a handy replacement for Itoje in the England team.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:56 pm 

Has he got a strong clapping game?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:57 pm 

He probably wanted to see the world.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:59 pm 

DragsterDriver wrote:
Has he got a strong clapping game?

The next coach will be weeding that out I suspect.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:59 pm 

Let's hope he hasn't called Chris Jack for tips.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:00 pm 

Flametop wrote:

Worcester could fry his brains.

Flametop wrote:

In his current job he travels the world. He wants more money, and there is nothing wrong with that. Who wouldn't take an easier job for more pay? It's a no-brainer.

fatcat wrote:

An oldie but a shitty.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 pm 

fatcat wrote:

Like Chris Jack, Fatialofa will be earning lots and lots of money for doing very little. That's why it's called 'easy rugby'.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:02 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
Flametop wrote:

In his current job he travels the world. He wants more money, and there is nothing wrong with that. Who wouldn't take an easier job for more pay? It's a no-brainer.

It’s about the calthya.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:12 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
fatcat wrote:

Like Chris Jack, Fatialofa will be earning lots and lots of money for doing very little. That's why it's called 'easy rugby'.

You've got that right about Chris - he did f*ck all. I have a feeling Fati will have a lot more self respect, but we shall have to wait and see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:19 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
I think he could have been a test player, as a blindside flanker, a small lock or a bench player who could cover backrow and lock

Sounds about the right standard for the 10th best team in England and perennial relegation battlers. Let's hope he's able to transfer those skills :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:29 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
fatcat wrote:

Well, to be fair, they apparently beat the snot out of each other at training so it's not all that easy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:38 pm 

How's old beaten up Geoff Parling doing playing "hard" rugby ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:52 pm 

Ali's Choice wrote:
fatcat wrote:

I accept that there are all kinds of personal circumstances, motivations, etc etc. But some of us would have given our eye teeth to have had the chance for a gig like this in the UK.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:23 am 

Flametop wrote:

:lol:

He spent 3+ years in Invercargill trying to crack the Stags consistently.

He had many injury problems and also a pretty shit attitude to club rugby. Even when fit his heart was t in it and he struggled. Ego crashed to the ground having been an Auckland high school star.

He’s played top rugby for the Canes when fit. I think the injuries will have played a large part in his decision to cash in.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:36 am 

bimboman wrote:

He's ok to have as some experience on the bench, but he's struggling to get any starts at last years 18th placed Rebels.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:42 am 

Sonny Blount wrote:
bimboman wrote:

He's ok to have as some experience on the bench, but he's struggling to get any starts at last years 18th placed Rebels.

He started last week and got half a game...and looked like he was about to have a heart attack.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:52 am 

mr bungle wrote:
Flametop wrote:

He spent 3+ years in Invercargill trying to crack the Stags consistently.

He had many injury problems and also a pretty shit attitude to club rugby. Even when fit his heart was t in it and he struggled. Ego crashed to the ground having been an Auckland high school star.

He’s played top rugby for the Canes when fit. I think the injuries will have played a large part in his decision to cash in.

I don't know Fatialofa's background, or financial position, and I have no problem with players traveling to maximise their earnings. Their careers are only short. However leaving NZ after only one completed SR season is a bit random. Credit to him, it was a very good season and he did win a comp. He and Vaea Fifita were monsters in the Canes engine room in 2016.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:58 am 

wamberal99 wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
fatcat wrote:

I accept that there are all kinds of personal circumstances, motivations, etc etc. But some of us would have given our eye teeth to have had the chance for a gig like this in the UK.

My point is that NZ Rugby players only move to easy rugby for the money. They don't move to the UK for lifestyle reasons, or to improve their game, they move to maximise their earning potential. The same way many top Aussie cricketers live in India for a period of time every year - to play IPL. It's for the money. You're not suggesting that Shane Watson lives in Chennai for the 'lifestyle' are you? Or because he wants to see the world?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 am 

bimboman wrote:

done nothing so far

He gets to play the Hurricanes tonight, that will be character building for the guy.

I doubt he will be able to keep up

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:59 am 

What did you want him to do? Wait around in case Retalick/Whitelock/Romano/Tuipulotu/Bird get injured and no one else comes through in the next 5 yrs?
He'd be 30 then and hope he's still in good shape/form to try and get an overseas contract.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:03 am 

_fatprop wrote:
bimboman wrote:

done nothing so far

He gets to play the Hurricanes tonight, that will be character building for the guy.

I doubt he will be able to keep up

I’m a bit disappointed in Parling. I was expecting to see some magic. He looks lime he’s enjoying the sun and cafe lifestyle a bit too much to knuckle down.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:05 am 

Another NZ rugby player leaves in their prime.

What's the monetary difference between what he earns in NZ and what he is going to earn playing easy rugby?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:07 am 

CrazyIslander wrote:
What did you want him to do? Wait around in case Retalick/Whitelock/Romano/Tuipulotu/Bird get injured and no one else comes through in the next 5 yrs?
He'd be 30 then and hope he's still in good shape/form to try and get an overseas contract.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't take the easy rugby money. I'm simply suggesting that most top NZ players play more than one full SR season before heading North. Obviously the money offered by the desperate NH club was too good to refuse. Good on Michael Fatialofa, he is young enough to play for England in five years, when he'll still only be 30 and just reaching his prime as a lock forward :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:13 am 

Tehui wrote:

What's the monetary difference between what he earns in NZ and what he is going to earn playing easy rugby?

Well he'd be earning around $180,000 in NZ right now. And he'd be on at least $500K NZD playing easy rugby. That gap would be too good to refuse for any of us.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:28 am 

In SR you’re touring Shinto temples in Tokyo, then you’re riding the plains with gauchos in BA, the next week you’re swimming on the beaches next to Table Mountain, then you’re jumping off the Sydney Harbour Bridge, finally home to relax in the sophisticated cafe culture of Wellington. Even if you don’t make the ABs you’re bound to play for some rep team and run out for the Baabaas at Twickenham, or swanning around North America with the Maori ABs. ‘See the world’ my arse.

Basically if you’re not a starting AB you’re never going to earn enough in NZ to feel you’re being paid what you’re worth. Can’t really blame anyone for maximising a brief and tenuous career.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:34 am 

naki wrote:
In SR you’re touring Shinto temples in Tokyo, then you’re riding the plains with gauchos in BA, the next week you’re swimming on the beaches next to Table Mountain, then you’re jumping off the Sydney Harbour Bridge, finally home to relax in the sophisticated cafe culture of Wellington. Even if you don’t make the ABs you’re bound to play for some rep team and run out for the Baabaas at Twickenham, or swanning around North America with the Maori ABs. ‘See the world’ my arse.

Basically if you’re not a starting AB you’re never going to earn enough in NZ to feel you’re being paid what you’re worth. Can’t really blame anyone for maximising a brief and tenuous career.

The problem is that Michael Fatialofa hasn't given himself the opportunity to be an AB. It's like he played one full season of SR and decided that he'd never be an All Black, so he'd better chasing easy rugby money. I'm just glad Ryan Crotty didn't give up on his All Black dream at twenty five. If this is the new normal than NZ Rugby will be in significant trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:36 am 

Can I please get $1 for every time the old queen says ‘easy rugby’?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:43 am 

shanky wrote:

Old? He's not bloody old. :?

shanky wrote:

No need to be insulting.

Ali's Choice wrote:
Tehui wrote:

Well he'd be earning around $180,000 in NZ right now. And he'd be on at least $500K NZD playing easy rugby. That gap would be too good to refuse for any of us.

The thing is he won't be paid in NZD, he'll be paid in GBP.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:50 am 

fatcat wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Tehui wrote:

No shit. I took the exchange rate into account when I guessed what he'd earn. He won't be on 500KGBP - not after just one completed season of SR. I figured he'd be on around 250K GBP, which equates to around $500K NZD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:34 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
fatcat wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Tehui wrote:

No shit. I took the exchange rate into account when I guessed what he'd earn. He won't be on 500KGBP - not after just one completed season of SR. I figured he'd be on around 250K GBP, which equates to around $500K NZD

That's at least 2.5 times what he earns in NZ. I can't blame him for cashing in when you're one injury away from receiving the unemployment benefit. I'd like to see NZ's second tier players receive more money. I'm sure the NZRFU thinks about this problem every single day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:55 am 

Ali's Choice wrote:
shanky wrote:

No need to be insulting.

Hey, sometimes, when you are trolling, it is just best to read your posts in the voice of Alan Jones to put them in context

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:59 am 

Flametop wrote:

Fair enough. No doubt he'll get a nice flat close to Worcester International Airport.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:41 am 

See the world :lol:

He'll be seeing a lot less now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:14 am 

naki wrote:

I'd suggest the reality is that other than brief promotional visits, a SR player see very little that is not on the bus route between the airport, hotel and stadium, and have to put up with a great deal of tedious long haul flying, not to mention jetlag.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:20 am 

naki wrote:
finally home to relax in the sophisticated cafe culture of Wellington.

The cultural cringe just oozes from some of these Kiwis.