UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

All things Rugby
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 5793
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Dark »

Thought this was pretty funny

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... amish/amp/
Millennials so squeamish about handling raw meat it is to be sold in touch-free packs


Supermarket is to introduce touch-free packaging to help squeamish millennials who are afraid to touch raw meat before cooking it.

Sainsburys said it was bringing in the straight-to-pan plastic pouches, which are known in the industry as after a survey showed the prospect of coming into contact with uncooked meat products induced high levels of anxiety among shoppers under the age of 35.

“Customers, particularly younger ones, are quite scared of touching raw meat,"; Katherine Hall, product development manager for meat, fish and poultry at the retailer, told The Sunday Times.

These bags allow people, especially those who are time-poor, to just ‘rip and tip’ the meat straight into the frying pan without touching it.”

The fear of contamination by bacteria such as campylobacter, which is found in some raw poultry and can cause severe food poisoning, was so great that one woman admitted in a focus group to coating her chicken with antibacterial spray before cooking it, Ms Hall recalled.

“A lot of younger people are eating out in restaurants but they are not preparing as much food in their home. If they are not used to it, they may think, ‘Ugh! I’d prefer someone else to do it for me.’”

So-called millennials - those born after 1980 - have been dubbed the "snowflake" generation for their political correctness and apparent inability to become reconciled to some of everyday life’s harsher truths, such as the fact that meat may have come from a dead animal.
User avatar
Raggs
Posts: 18569
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Raggs »

Dark wrote:Thought this was pretty funny
Millennials so squeamish about handling raw meat it is to be sold in touch-free packs


Supermarket is to introduce touch-free packaging to help squeamish millennials who are afraid to touch raw meat before cooking it.

Sainsburys said it was bringing in the straight-to-pan plastic pouches, which are known in the industry as after a survey showed the prospect of coming into contact with uncooked meat products induced high levels of anxiety among shoppers under the age of 35.

“Customers, particularly younger ones, are quite scared of touching raw meat,"; Katherine Hall, product development manager for meat, fish and poultry at the retailer, told The Sunday Times.

These bags allow people, especially those who are time-poor, to just ‘rip and tip’ the meat straight into the frying pan without touching it.”

The fear of contamination by bacteria such as campylobacter, which is found in some raw poultry and can cause severe food poisoning, was so great that one woman admitted in a focus group to coating her chicken with antibacterial spray before cooking it, Ms Hall recalled.

“A lot of younger people are eating out in restaurants but they are not preparing as much food in their home. If they are not used to it, they may think, ‘Ugh! I’d prefer someone else to do it for me.’”

So-called millennials - those born after 1980 - have been dubbed the "snowflake" generation for their political correctness and apparent inability to become reconciled to some of everyday life’s harsher truths, such as the fact that meat may have come from a dead animal.
Article states that it's a fear of contamination and food poisoning, then decides to try and take a swipe by suggesting the issue is it came from a dead animal...

Ridiculous anyway of course, and likely only a minority, but why not take the chance to have a swipe.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 22212
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Mick Mannock »

Dark wrote:Thought this was pretty funny

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... amish/amp/
Millennials so squeamish about handling raw meat it is to be sold in touch-free packs


Supermarket is to introduce touch-free packaging to help squeamish millennials who are afraid to touch raw meat before cooking it.

Sainsburys said it was bringing in the straight-to-pan plastic pouches, which are known in the industry as after a survey showed the prospect of coming into contact with uncooked meat products induced high levels of anxiety among shoppers under the age of 35.

“Customers, particularly younger ones, are quite scared of touching raw meat,"; Katherine Hall, product development manager for meat, fish and poultry at the retailer, told The Sunday Times.

These bags allow people, especially those who are time-poor, to just ‘rip and tip’ the meat straight into the frying pan without touching it.”

The fear of contamination by bacteria such as campylobacter, which is found in some raw poultry and can cause severe food poisoning, was so great that one woman admitted in a focus group to coating her chicken with antibacterial spray before cooking it, Ms Hall recalled.

“A lot of younger people are eating out in restaurants but they are not preparing as much food in their home. If they are not used to it, they may think, ‘Ugh! I’d prefer someone else to do it for me.’”

So-called millennials - those born after 1980 - have been dubbed the "snowflake" generation for their political correctness and apparent inability to become reconciled to some of everyday life’s harsher truths, such as the fact that meat may have come from a dead animal.
They are doing well in that case.

Or do they mean a sit down in Burger King?
obelixtim
Posts: 5978
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by obelixtim »

So their mothers didn't teach them to wash their hands?

I saw one such hero last week call the AA because he couldn't change the wheel on his car when he discovered a flat tyre.

Soft cocks....
User avatar
englishchief
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by englishchief »

Is this really true though? Even my youngest has no problem with handling raw chicken, she's helped out her mother in the kitchen quite a lot growing up. And she is so young she might not even fit in to the millenial age range!
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 11891
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by danny_fitz »

obelixtim wrote:So their mothers didn't teach them to wash their hands?

I saw one such hero last week call the AA because he couldn't change the wheel on his car when he discovered a flat tyre.

Soft cocks....
He probably could not wire a plug, grill a steak, shine his shoes, kill and injured animal or fell a tree either.
User avatar
P in VG
Posts: 2580
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:22 pm
Location: Gogledd Cymru

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by P in VG »

obelixtim wrote:So their mothers didn't teach them to wash their hands?

I saw one such hero last week call the AA because he couldn't change the wheel on his car when he discovered a flat tyre.

Soft cocks....
I saw an old codger call a nurse because he'd shat his pants.

Snowflake....
Brazil
Posts: 8108
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Brazil »

Image
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 13053
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by MungoMan »

Brazil wrote:Image
We all have our foibles, our idiosyncrasies, our little peculiarities.

Me, I used to shit in bakeries.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16550
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Zakar »

I made a lamb roast last night, then used the bones to make stock. Got to massage the rosemarylive oil and garlic into the flesh for the best flavour.

So, therefore this article is wrong.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 16930
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Farva »

Zakar wrote:I made a lamb roast last night, then used the bones to make stock. Got to massage the rosemarylive oil and garlic into the flesh for the best flavour.

So, therefore this article is wrong.
It was pre-cooked lamb though wasn't it? If not, thats really dirty mate.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16550
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Zakar »

Farva wrote:
Zakar wrote:I made a lamb roast last night, then used the bones to make stock. Got to massage the rosemarylive oil and garlic into the flesh for the best flavour.

So, therefore this article is wrong.
It was pre-cooked lamb though wasn't it? If not, thats really dirty mate.
I cooked it.
User avatar
Wilson's Toffee
Posts: 24441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

englishchief wrote:Is this really true though? Even my youngest has no problem with handling raw chicken, she's helped out her mother in the kitchen quite a lot growing up. And she is so young she might not even fit in to the millenial age range!

They are fokken lazy. Most of these fiemies we see and hear about are young (and old) people being too lazy to do basic stuff for themselves.

Too lazy to realise that other people can see through their ruse, too.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 16930
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Farva »

Zakar wrote:
Farva wrote:
Zakar wrote:I made a lamb roast last night, then used the bones to make stock. Got to massage the rosemarylive oil and garlic into the flesh for the best flavour.

So, therefore this article is wrong.
It was pre-cooked lamb though wasn't it? If not, thats really dirty mate.
I cooked it.
As long as you didnt touch it when it was raw.
User avatar
Turbogoat
Posts: 21769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle East

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Turbogoat »

Farva wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Farva wrote:
Zakar wrote:I made a lamb roast last night, then used the bones to make stock. Got to massage the rosemarylive oil and garlic into the flesh for the best flavour.

So, therefore this article is wrong.
It was pre-cooked lamb though wasn't it? If not, thats really dirty mate.
I cooked it.
As long as you didnt touch it when it was raw.
In certain areas of Wales (New Zealand, if you must) they're waiting with bated breath to find out if the lamb was still alive when he was massaging it with olive oil.
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 16930
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Farva »

Turbogoat wrote:
Farva wrote:
Zakar wrote:
Farva wrote:
Zakar wrote:I made a lamb roast last night, then used the bones to make stock. Got to massage the rosemarylive oil and garlic into the flesh for the best flavour.

So, therefore this article is wrong.
It was pre-cooked lamb though wasn't it? If not, thats really dirty mate.
I cooked it.
As long as you didnt touch it when it was raw.
In certain areas of Wales (New Zealand, if you must) they're waiting with bated breath to find out if the lamb was still alive when he was massaging it with olive oil.
A lamb roast has taken on a whole new meaning.
User avatar
Raggs
Posts: 18569
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Raggs »

See what a fukced up education and upbringing all these people must have received.
User avatar
MungoMan
Posts: 13053
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Coalfalls

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by MungoMan »

So I'm guessing Liver a la Portnoy is off the menu for the younger folk nowadays?
User avatar
Turbogoat
Posts: 21769
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle East

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Turbogoat »

Raggs wrote:See what a fukced up education and upbringing all these people must have received.
That they're buying into these manufactured outrage clickbait articles?
User avatar
Farva
Posts: 16930
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA PLUM

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Farva »

Millennials also being the ones who bought you this:

Image

Millennials, simultaneously not touching raw meat while not cooking meat properly.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 5793
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Dark »

Turbogoat wrote:
Raggs wrote:See what a fukced up education and upbringing all these people must have received.
That they're buying into these manufactured o9utrage clickbait articles?
Except for the quote from the actual supermarket saying they are doing it and why
frillage
Posts: 6663
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by frillage »

Farva wrote:Millennials also being the ones who bought you this:

Image

Millennials, simultaneously not touching raw meat while not cooking meat properly.

You can eat some chicken rare or even raw.
User avatar
crash 669
Posts: 3694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by crash 669 »

Brazil wrote:Image
Unsurprisingly that was my first thought too.
User avatar
Average Joe
Posts: 5529
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 pm

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Average Joe »

For fear of accidentally touching their own shit they wrap bog paper at the end of a long stick to wipe their arse with.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 16550
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Zakar »

Don't they do raw chicken in Japan?
User avatar
crash 669
Posts: 3694
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by crash 669 »

Zakar wrote:Don't they do raw chicken in Japan?
They do but I thought it was safe because it's super fresh. The only person I know who's eaten it said the chicken was wandering around outside an hour before it was on the plate.
User avatar
Dark
Posts: 5793
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 2:38 am
Location: NZ

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Dark »

As long as you trust the process went through to get the chicken to you, you're chances of getting sick from under cooked chicken is piss all.

Ie you don't want to do it with supermarket chicken


A mate who has them No worries
frillage
Posts: 6663
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by frillage »

crash 669 wrote:
Zakar wrote:Don't they do raw chicken in Japan?
They do but I thought it was safe because it's super fresh. The only person I know who's eaten it said the chicken was wandering around outside an hour before it was on the plate.
More important is the slaughter and butchery, though fresh is always best for anything raw (aged beef being an exception)
User avatar
deadduck
Posts: 6118
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Vandean Coast

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by deadduck »

When will people cotton on to the fact that it's not the millennials, it's their shit parents that are the problem.
User avatar
Wilson's Toffee
Posts: 24441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

crash 669 wrote:
Brazil wrote:Image
Unsurprisingly that was my first thought too.
Ja. Meat can be prohibitively expensive.
Invicta
Posts: 155
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Invicta »

deadduck wrote:When will people cotton on to the fact that it's not the millennials, it's their shit parents that are the problem.
:nod:

If you're brought up on a diet of pre-chopped vegetables and still think broccoli is "baby trees" when you're double figures-years old then you'll have a skewed view of food.

There're also the Fearnley-Whittingstall acolytes at the other end of the spectrum, though. Those that wouldn't dream of eating any animal unless they were wearing a scarf made from it's alimentary canal.
User avatar
fatcat
Posts: 14333
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by fatcat »

crash 669 wrote:
Zakar wrote:Don't they do raw chicken in Japan?
They do but I thought it was safe because it's super fresh. The only person I know who's eaten it said the chicken was wandering around outside an hour before it was on the plate.

They probably told you that, but in reality they'd seen the chef spray it with Dettol.
Flyin Ryan
Posts: 9994
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Indiana

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Flyin Ryan »

So we're going to increase waste product from packaging so...people's hands don't touch dead pig and cow?
User avatar
Raggs
Posts: 18569
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Raggs »

Flyin Ryan wrote:So we're going to increase waste product from packaging so...people's hands don't touch dead pig and cow?
Don't know about extra packaging, just different design. And if it works it'll save water as no need to wash hands beforer handling anything else.
bimboman
Posts: 65090
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by bimboman »

deadduck wrote:When will people cotton on to the fact that it's not the millennials, it's their shit parents that are the problem.

I pass this one then, both my boys have gutted, plucked and eaten small ducks.
User avatar
Wendigo7
Posts: 12123
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Wendigo7 »

Raggs wrote:
Dark wrote:Thought this was pretty funny
Millennials so squeamish about handling raw meat it is to be sold in touch-free packs


Supermarket is to introduce touch-free packaging to help squeamish millennials who are afraid to touch raw meat before cooking it.

Sainsburys said it was bringing in the straight-to-pan plastic pouches, which are known in the industry as after a survey showed the prospect of coming into contact with uncooked meat products induced high levels of anxiety among shoppers under the age of 35.

“Customers, particularly younger ones, are quite scared of touching raw meat,"; Katherine Hall, product development manager for meat, fish and poultry at the retailer, told The Sunday Times.

These bags allow people, especially those who are time-poor, to just ‘rip and tip’ the meat straight into the frying pan without touching it.”

The fear of contamination by bacteria such as campylobacter, which is found in some raw poultry and can cause severe food poisoning, was so great that one woman admitted in a focus group to coating her chicken with antibacterial spray before cooking it, Ms Hall recalled.

“A lot of younger people are eating out in restaurants but they are not preparing as much food in their home. If they are not used to it, they may think, ‘Ugh! I’d prefer someone else to do it for me.’”

So-called millennials - those born after 1980 - have been dubbed the "snowflake" generation for their political correctness and apparent inability to become reconciled to some of everyday life’s harsher truths, such as the fact that meat may have come from a dead animal.
Article states that it's a fear of contamination and food poisoning, then decides to try and take a swipe by suggesting the issue is it came from a dead animal...

Ridiculous anyway of course, and likely only a minority, but why not take the chance to have a swipe.
Yep. :thumbup: :thumbup:
User avatar
Wilson's Toffee
Posts: 24441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

What do millenials do for sex ?
User avatar
pjm1
Posts: 3570
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by pjm1 »

Wilson's Toffee wrote:What do millenials do for sex ?
Wear gloves?
User avatar
Wilson's Toffee
Posts: 24441
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

x(


Probably.
User avatar
englishchief
Posts: 2497
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 9:18 pm

Re: UK millennials are too scared to touch raw meat

Post by englishchief »

They also sell apple slices in plastic packets now. Imagine that! I'm not joking, Tesco's and Sainsbury's both sell them.
Post Reply