All Blacks Vs France - Second test match thread

Post by The Native »

Where:

Venue:

Kick 0ff
7.35 PM NZ time

Teams:
New Zealand

All Blacks: 15. Jordie Barrett, 14. Ben Smith, 13. Anton-Lienert Brown, 12. Ryan Crotty, 11. Rieko Ioane, 10. Beauden Barrett, 9. Aaron Smith, 8. Luke Whitelock, 7. Sam Cane, 6. Liam Squire, 5. Scott Barrett, 4. Sam Whitelock (c), 3. Owen Franks, 2. Codie Taylor, 1. Joe Moody. Reserves: 16. Nathan Harris, 17. Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18. Ofa Tuungafasi, 19. Vaea Fifita, 20. Ardie Savea, 21. TJ Perenara, 22. Damian McKenzie, 23. Ngani Laumape.

France

France: 15. Ben Fall, 14. Teddy Thomas, 13. Mathieu Bastareaud (capt.) ,12. Geoffrey Doumayrou, 11. Gael Fickou, 10. Anthony Belleau, 9. Morgan Parra, 8. Kelian Galletier, 7. Kevin Gourdon, 6. Mathieu Babillot, 5. Yoann Maestri, 4. Bernard Le Roux, 3. Uini Atonio, 2. Camille Chat, 1. Dany Priso.

16. Pierre Bougarit, 17. Cyril Baille, 18. Cedate Gomes Sa, 19. Paul Gabrillagues, 20. Alexandre Lapandry, 21. Baptiste Serin, 22. Jules Plisson, 23. Maxime Medard

Officials

Referee - Angus Gardner
AR 1 - John Lacey
AR 2 - Luke Pearce
TMO - George Ayoub
Last edited by The Native on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Native

Re: All Blacks Vs France - Second test match thread

Post by The Native »

A bit of news on the injury front, unfortunately Jordan Taufua looks to be out for the entire series but Sonny Bill Williams might be back for the third test - http://www.allblacks.com/News/32544/tau ... third-test
The Native

Post by The Native »

Some thoughts and predictions to get the ball rolling.

Codie Taylor is now our first choice hooker, even when Dane Coles is fit and available. He's gone from strength to strength ticks every box. Coles is ideal as a closer. Hansen has talked about how they want to up the temp of a game in the last 30 minutes and Coles is ideal for that.

The All Black bench was outstanding and did exactly what was required. McKenzie and Laumape were probably our best backs even in their limited time on the park.

Crotty was so good last night and probably the most underrated midfielder in World Rugby. Not bad for a placeholder.

Karl Tu'inukuafe's first scrum gave me a chubby. As good a first act for a prop on debut as you could get.

I'm about to watch the game again but how many times did the All Blacks steal the French lineout ball? Three or four?

Luke Whitelock was surprisingly good with ball in hand.

Rieko Ioane is slow.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Rieko Ioane is slow.
Or, Thomas is fecking quick
The Native

Post by The Native »

Enzedder wrote:
Rieko Ioane is slow.
Or, Thomas is fecking quick
No. Everyone on the internet says he's slow so he's slow.
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

ABs will only get better. Can't see the French giving another effort like the first 50 minutes.
They have one eye on a summer break
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

this is about to be cancelled as we are protesting against what happened in the first one, and we will cut our diplomatic relations with NZ in the next days.
BBB

Post by BBB »

jolindien wrote:this is about to be cancelled as we are protesting against what happened in the first one, and we will cut our diplomatic relations with NZ in the next days.
Mururoa Atoll
Rainbow Warrior
Aurelien Rougerie
The Native

Post by The Native »

jolindien wrote:this is about to be cancelled as we are protesting against what happened in the first one, and we will cut our diplomatic relations with NZ in the next days.
Wouldn't be the first time the French were eager to wave the white flag.
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

Referee: Angus Gardner (Australia)

Assistant 1: John Lacey (Ireland)

Assistant 2: Luke Pearce (England)

TMO: George Ayoub (Australia)
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

Maniototo Man

Post by Maniototo Man »

BBB wrote:
Mururoa Atoll**
Rainbow Warrior
Aurelien Rougerie
**Not to mention the Renault Clio. The worst French bomb of them all.

How dare you unleash such a travesty on the world?
Last edited by Maniototo Man on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clive Simms

Post by Clive Simms »

Everything is pointless

The match
This thread

Just let France go home ffs
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

The Native wrote:Crotty was so good last night and probably the most underrated midfielder in World Rugby. Not bad for a placeholder.
I'm a fan but I thought apart from his one outstanding fend a lot of his play was sub-par in that game. Wrong options or poor timing on his pass several times during the game which was unlike him.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Cullen wrote:ABs will only get better. Can't see the French giving another effort like the first 50 minutes.
I think they've got at least one good game in them. That was a tough lead up to the first test with jet lag and short prep time. They'll be up for a battle yet.
naki

Post by naki »

Flockwitt wrote:
The Native wrote:Crotty was so good last night and probably the most underrated midfielder in World Rugby. Not bad for a placeholder.
I'm a fan but I thought apart from his one outstanding fend a lot of his play was sub-par in that game. Wrong options or poor timing on his pass several times during the game which was unlike him.
He also utterly failed to draw the last man before the disallowed try due to Snecky Smith's obstruction. One of the most bizarre potential bombed tries I've ever seen, he basically passed it to a player to allow him to get tackled, but his blushes were spared by ALB bumping off the defender anyway.
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

Flockwitt wrote:
Cullen wrote:ABs will only get better. Can't see the French giving another effort like the first 50 minutes.
I think they've got at least one good game in them. That was a tough lead up to the first test with jet lag and short prep time. They'll be up for a battle yet.
not a chance, for real, CS is right, we should just go home, summer in post-season is not time for rugby
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Given that there isn't anything "testing" at all for the ABs, can this still be called a "test match".
jolindien

Post by jolindien »

TheFrog wrote:Given that there isn't anything "testing" at all for the ABs, can this still be called a "test match".
yeap, WR is testing their referees after all
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Going to be another half century I won't watch
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

TheFrog wrote:Given that there isn't anything "testing" at all for the ABs, can this still be called a "test match".
Testy fans and neutrals?
booze

Post by booze »

Laurent wrote:Going to be another half century I won't watch
That’s the spirit
usermame

Post by usermame »

Seems to be making the odd person testy.

edit...damn, behind the fair again.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Jesus, are the French really that morbid or are they appealing to the mockers en masse?
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

The Native wrote:Jesus, are the French really that morbid or are they appealing to the mockers en masse?
:lol:

That team is shite

The coaching is poor

It's hey Theo backwards
kiwidutchie

Post by kiwidutchie »

The French are the most schizophrenic team in international footy.

One should never write them off. We saw 2 French sides last Saturday, and if we get the one that played the first half, who knows what sort of game we will get.

With the controversy over the non citing of Cane and Tuungafasi over a tour ending injury, this is reminiscent of the '05 lions tour, except the visiting fans are not as fun on the piss......
Toro

Post by Toro »

NZ were very rusty in that first half on saturday, shovelling the ball and looking uncertain. France will have to up their game immensely to stay with the ABs this week, and be a lot more creative in attack, which they can be given the off-loading game they brought to the last few games in France.

I'm very interested to see who gets a run, Goodhue certainly deserves a shot, ALB was poor by his own standards.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Toro wrote: I'm very interested to see who gets a run, Goodhue certainly deserves a shot, ALB was poor by his own standards.
I think you need to watch a bit more French rugby.
Basta has been running riot at times in the T14 and he's not in the team because he's the best looking guy in France.
ALB did very well to contain him.
Toro

Post by Toro »

Magpie26 wrote:
Toro wrote: I'm very interested to see who gets a run, Goodhue certainly deserves a shot, ALB was poor by his own standards.
Basta has been running riot at times in the T14 and he's not in the team because he's the best looking guy in France.
It was more in attack where I thought he wasn't great, again, by his own standards. He not the flashiest player around but his strength in test rugby for me has always been doing the basics well. But all that apart I'd like to see Goodhue. :)
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Toro wrote:
Magpie26 wrote:
It was more in attack where I thought he wasn't great, again, by his own standards. He not the flashiest player around but his strength in test rugby for me has always been doing the basics well. But all that apart I'd like to see Goodhue. :)
I would like to see him too but I think he will have to wait a while yet.
Cullen

Post by Cullen »

Magpie26 wrote:
Toro wrote:
Magpie26 wrote:
I would like to see him too but I think he will have to wait a while yet.
No one will get dropped from that's team and we aren't going back to rotations. So unless there is injury or suspension it will be unchanged.

Any word on Canes head?
S Whitelock and Franks are closing in on 100 tests. I hope one lines up with the first Bledisloe for that extra motivation
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Cullen wrote:Any word on Canes head?
He passed the HIA during the test.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Flockwitt wrote:

This is what I saw as well, he also looked a bit slower on break than he usually does.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I don’t think Hansen will mess with what he sees as his best available XV. We may see opportunities for players like Goodhue, Mo’unga, or Frizell in a dead rubber third test, but not yet. Let the combinations gel a little bit more and seal the series, then you can experiment a bit.
Vahian

Post by Vahian »

Hopefully the French offer more than a bit of defence otherwise we'll be going into the rest of the season a little under cooked.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

naki wrote:
Flockwitt wrote:
He also utterly failed to draw the last man before the disallowed try due to Snecky Smith's obstruction. One of the most bizarre potential bombed tries I've ever seen, he basically passed it to a player to allow him to get tackled, but his blushes were spared by ALB bumping off the defender anyway.

Agree with those summations. Mind you, neither did ALB have a stellar beginning to the test, in fact he was pretty bloody awful, but he redeemed himself in spades later.

It could be a worrying sign, I wonder if Crotty is still suffering the after affects of the head knocks.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

The Native wrote:Some thoughts and predictions to get the ball rolling.

Codie Taylor is now our first choice hooker, even when Dane Coles is fit and available. He's gone from strength to strength ticks every box. Coles is ideal as a closer. Hansen has talked about how they want to up the temp of a game in the last 30 minutes and Coles is ideal for that.

The All Black bench was outstanding and did exactly what was required. McKenzie and Laumape were probably our best backs even in their limited time on the park.

Crotty was so good last night and probably the most underrated midfielder in World Rugby. Not bad for a placeholder.

Karl Tu'inukuafe's first scrum gave me a chubby. As good a first act for a prop on debut as you could get.

I'm about to watch the game again but how many times did the All Blacks steal the French lineout ball? Three or four?

Rieko Ioane is slow.
Don't agree with your assessment of Coles as a finisher. As good as Cody Taylor was, my MotM, a fit and firing Coles would not be the ideal finisher. If anything, Taylor's extra explosiveness lends itself to that role, whereas I feel that Coles' leadership has been missed at times.

It's a nice thought though, having two very good hookers available. That's if Coles ever recovers.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Did you mean to say 30-40 minutes? The French were already on the slide. The AB's came out in the second with pick n goes and generally more route 1 play, which put the French on the back foot.
Toro

Post by Toro »

Ted. wrote:
Did you mean to say 30-40 minutes? The French were already on the slide. The AB's came out in the second with pick n goes and generally more route 1 play, which put the French on the back foot.
In all fairness we only took the lead around the 52nd minute mark, but I agree they were hanging by a thread by then.
The Native

Post by The Native »

Ted. wrote:
The Native wrote:Some thoughts and predictions to get the ball rolling.

Rieko Ioane is slow.
Don't agree with your assessment of Coles as a finisher. As good as Cody Taylor was, my MotM, a fit and firing Coles would not be the ideal finisher. If anything, Taylor's extra explosiveness lends itself to that role, whereas I feel that Coles' leadership has been missed at times.

It's a nice thought though, having two very good hookers available. That's if Coles ever recovers.
I see it as much as the same as when Coles took over from Mealamu. Coles was seen as the more dyanmic of the two and Mealamu the wise head when he came on to close out games. Coles is also 31 and has been injury prone in the last couple of years.