Le Tour 2018: Official Thread

All things Rugby
Beaver_Shark

Re: Le Tour 2018: Official Thread

Post by Beaver_Shark »

I expect the TTT to be a straight shootout between BMC and Sky. Probably with BMC as slight favourites.

Also, Thomas and Van Avermaet are one second apart in the GC and one of them should be getting yellow today.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Beaver_Shark wrote:I expect the TTT to be a straight shootout between BMC and Sky. Probably with BMC as slight favourites.

Also, Thomas and Van Avermaet are one second apart in the GC and one of them should be getting yellow today.
Don't count out Mitchelton Scott. They are normally one of the better TTT squads too.

TheDoc - Eurosport for me through Virgin Media
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

TheDocForgotHisLogon wrote:Where are you folk getting your coverage (other than Sky?). Don't mind a subscription service. Flobikes worked for the Giro but isn't carrying the tour.
SBS Australia have the rights here

https://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/

and I watch their coverage on FTA tv. I missed most of the first stage because they also cover the World Cup and I didn't notice they had it on one of their secondary channels that uses a slightly different logo in program guides :blush: :x

but they have a pretty guide online presence with streaming available for some shows, they may have the race available there, I've no idea what they provide for overseas services. Worth a look.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Re: Coverage (in the UK)

Just a heads up that for some bizzaro reason S4C (the free to air Welsh language channel) are showing the latter stages of the TDF every day - so this might be an option if you don't want to pay £30 for Eurosport. Pretty sure they do an English audio option on the red button like they do for rugby as well (although no idea what the commentary is like)
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Today's stage is a team time trial. Chance for Sky to get some time back.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

guy smiley wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
frillage wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:I doubt GS is wrong (he'd be gutted if he was :P ) I'd say the commentators are. Although maybe they said he was the first man in rainbow to win a stage, which might be an old stat from 2016 but may well be true.
No, as I said, 80 years since rainbow has won stage finishing there (which was last time the stage finished there iirc)
Ah ok that makes sense.
Yeah, that's what it was but the commentators on my feed got a little excited and I missed correcting my post. Mea Culpa.
I see your compatriot Dion Smith made a bit of history yesterday. First Kiwi to wear a jersey (in this case polkadot) at Le Tour.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Bullettyme wrote:
guy smiley wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
frillage wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:I doubt GS is wrong (he'd be gutted if he was :P ) I'd say the commentators are. Although maybe they said he was the first man in rainbow to win a stage, which might be an old stat from 2016 but may well be true.
No, as I said, 80 years since rainbow has won stage finishing there (which was last time the stage finished there iirc)
Ah ok that makes sense.
Yeah, that's what it was but the commentators on my feed got a little excited and I missed correcting my post. Mea Culpa.
I see your compatriot Dion Smith made a bit of history yesterday. First Kiwi to wear a jersey (in this case polkadot) at Le Tour.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Quite an achievement. Many pride.

I reckon we'll see Porte and Froome somewhere top two after today's stage, both teams are strong in the TTT and they have a similar gap back to make up, they'll want that later when the climbing starts.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I thought Sagan was stronger than that.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Beaver_Shark wrote:I expect the TTT to be a straight shootout between BMC and Sky. Probably with BMC as slight favourites.

Good call :thumbup:
frillage

Post by frillage »

Mick Mannock wrote:I thought Sagan was stronger than that.
He is, just knew by then he wasn’t kepping yellow so save it for another day. If his DS had wanted him to ride for Majka he would have carried on.
DOB

Post by DOB »

frillage wrote:
He is, just knew by then he wasn’t kepping yellow so save it for another day. If his DS had wanted him to ride for Majka he would have carried on.
I would’ve thought the DS would want that extra engine driving as long as possible.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

DOB wrote:
frillage wrote:
I would’ve thought the DS would want that extra engine driving as long as possible.
I don't think he could. He seemed to be struggling fairly early
frillage

Post by frillage »

DOB wrote:
frillage wrote:
Not at the expense of stage wins. Majka is only an outsider for GC, let Sagan do what Sagan does.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

UAE 1min38 down or something. Dan Martin's loses today tempered by that crash on Stage 1. He won't be too disappointed.

BMC are a very well oiled machine.

Edit: not looking great for Quintana, probably will have to start helping out the other two. Although anything could happen.
DOB

Post by DOB »

It’s less than ideal for Quintana, but it could be worse. He’s in a stronger position tactically with the 2 other lads being in the team than he would be if he was the sole GC rider in the squad. Same with Froome having Thomas, and Porte having vans Avermaet and Garderen.
frillage

Post by frillage »

DOB wrote:It’s less than ideal for Quintana, but it could be worse. He’s in a stronger position tactically with the 2 other lads being in the team than he would be if he was the sole GC rider in the squad. Same with Froome having Thomas, and Porte having vans Avermaet and Garderen.
What time is he at now though? Two stages in and he isn’t far off just going for stage wins.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Odd tactic by Sky. They seemed to give Poels and Rowe big turns early on and then allow them to drop away quickly. Commentators seemed to think it was deliberate as 6 is an easier TTT to control.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

BlackMac wrote:Odd tactic by Sky. They seemed to give Poels and Rowe big turns early on and then allow them to drop away quickly. Commentators seemed to think it was deliberate as 6 is an easier TTT to control.
The thing is that in a TTT you can only go as quickly as the slowest rider if you want to stay together. Team sky had something like 3 current TT national champs in their squad Thomas, Castroviejo and one other (can't remember who - Kwiat?) plus Froome, Poels and Rowe would have been there to set the early pace with the intention that the big guys can then up the pace in the second half of the stage which those guys couldnt live with so you burn their matches in the first half to protect the legs of the faster guys, also makes it more likely that by preserving the legs of 6 riders any slightly weaker ones can hang on for the full distance (thinking riders like Yates, Bardet, Quintana). Key is to ensure that any riders that are dropped don't get timed out which has happened in the past.

If you saw it yesterday Quickstep should have won the stage but one of their riders went too hard and blew their group to pieces and they finished 7 seconds down after having to slow to reassemble enough of a squad
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

frillage wrote:
DOB wrote:It’s less than ideal for Quintana, but it could be worse. He’s in a stronger position tactically with the 2 other lads being in the team than he would be if he was the sole GC rider in the squad. Same with Froome having Thomas, and Porte having vans Avermaet and Garderen.
What time is he at now though? Two stages in and he isn’t far off just going for stage wins.
Could be an excellent foil for Landa and Valverde though if the Movistar DS plays his cards right. They could really make the other GC contenders work hard in chasing down Quintana if he gets a gap early on and then Landa/Valverde counter attack later
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

guy smiley wrote:
I reckon we'll see Porte and Froome somewhere top two.
:lol: I know nothing abut this sport.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Yeah Kwaitkowski won the Polish TT last year but not this year (won the road event though), still he's a pretty strong TT rider. One of my favourite cyclists at the moment.

Today I'm gonna go with Gaviria again if Quick Step keep together which they should be able to, or Sagan as he kept his bolt dry yesterday.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Bullettyme wrote:Yeah Kwaitkowski won the Polish TT last year but not this year (won the road event though), still he's a pretty strong TT rider. One of my favourite cyclists at the moment.

Today I'm gonna go with Gaviria again if Quick Step keep together which they should be able to, or Sagan as he kept his bolt dry yesterday.
Just checked - Bernal is the 3rd one that is current National TT champion.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Yeah Kwaitkowski won the Polish TT last year but not this year (won the road event though), still he's a pretty strong TT rider. One of my favourite cyclists at the moment.

I was wondering why there were so many different coloured bikes on the sky team
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

happyhooker wrote:
blindcider wrote:

I was wondering why there were so many different coloured bikes on the sky team
Although TT standards in Colombia are a little lower than elsewhere. Bernal is good, but a level below some of the other guys.
TokenSarriesFan

Post by TokenSarriesFan »

guy smiley wrote:The replay of the heli shot looked pretty hard. Someone went up and over, nasty way to crash.

First time in 80 years the Rainbow jersey has won a stage apparently
I know there's been discussion about this and corrections have been made but I thought this might be interesting for people to know

Stages won in the last decade by the World Champion.

Thor Hushovd: 2011 1st Stages 2 (TTT), 13 & 16
Mark Cavendish 2012 Stages Stages 2, 18 & 20
Rui Costa: 2013 1st Stages 16 & 19
Peter Sagan: 2016: 2, 11 & 16 and 2017: Stage 3
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Cav looks like a shadow of his former self.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Gaviria
Sagan
Griepel

Must be like a dream for Gaviria.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Gavria and the Quickstep train are reminiscent of the Cavendish/Highroad machine of old.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Should be an interesting stage today, it's a bit like an Ardenne classic really. With Quick Step's strength I wouldn't be surprised to see Alaphilippe take the stage today. Wouldn't count out Jungels either, or Valverde to light things up a little.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Bullettyme wrote:Should be an interesting stage today, it's a bit like an Ardenne classic really. With Quick Step's strength I wouldn't be surprised to see Alaphilippe take the stage today. Wouldn't count out Jungels either, or Valverde to light things up a little.
Yeah I agree. Watch out for Gilbert as well, as he's only 5 seconds off yellow (Alaphilippe 7sec). So it will be interesting who Quickstep decide to work for today.

I think it might be Alaphilippe.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Forgot about Gilbert actually. Could be a Quick Step 1-2-3 :o
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Our feed just had a quick interview with Lawson Craddock over the coverage.. one of the riders caught up in the crash on the first day. He's continuing on with a broken scapula...

uhhh... yeah, he's continuing from day one with a broken scapula. Mentalist :thumbup: He was talking about just trying to survive these early days with the short, nasty climbs and the surges beforehand as he can't get out of the saddle to push with the rest. So the mountains will be easier for him. Mentalist.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Big respect to Craddock. He's apparently donating $100 to his local cycling club/velodrome for every day he continues the tour with that injury. Tough bastard.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Beaver_Shark wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Should be an interesting stage today, it's a bit like an Ardenne classic really. With Quick Step's strength I wouldn't be surprised to see Alaphilippe take the stage today. Wouldn't count out Jungels either, or Valverde to light things up a little.
Yeah I agree. Watch out for Gilbert as well, as he's only 5 seconds off yellow (Alaphilippe 7sec). So it will be interesting who Quickstep decide to work for today.

I think it might be Alaphilippe.
Quick Step riders are actually good at working for each other, and they will use their 3 best ranked men as 3 different options, each of them ready to support the one who gets an opportunity to win.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Bullettyme wrote:Big respect to Craddock. He's apparently donating $100 to his local cycling club/velodrome for every day he continues the tour with that injury. Tough bastard.
:thumbup: Comes across as a Grade 'A' bloke.

Michael Matthews withdrew before today started too... fever and vomiting early this morning. Shame for him.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

guy smiley wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Big respect to Craddock. He's apparently donating $100 to his local cycling club/velodrome for every day he continues the tour with that injury. Tough bastard.

Michael Matthews withdrew before today started too... fever and vomiting early this morning. Shame for him.
In my view this is wrong. Proper medical care would require the rider to withdraw. But here, guys continue with painkillers against their health interest.

This type of attitude leads to doping. This is where the boundaries get blurred, when medical support is no longer about healing.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

He's a bit of a legend in the Houston cycling community, he used to ride for North West Cycling Club (NWCC) both on the road and at the Alkek Velodrome. I haven't met him (I ride for SWCC), apparently he's a great guy and occasionally rides with with his old club, gives clinics, etc.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

TheFrog wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

In my view this is wrong. Proper medical care would require the rider to withdraw. But here, guys continue with painkillers against their health interest.

This type of attitude leads to doping. This is where the boundaries get blurred, when medical support is no longer about healing.
Bloke I know who rode Le Tour was telling me how (on another tour, no idea which one but think it was fairly minor) he had a fall and picked up an injury. A team member shot him up with "painkillers" and the next day he had the best strength recovery he'd ever had and absolutely blitzed it. He was 100% sure they had doped him up with PEDs under the pretense of painkillers.

Disclaimer: * this would have been 20 odd years ago in the worst of the doping days and is not intended as a suggestion that that is what happens now. Just intended as a topical anecdote.
DOB

Post by DOB »

guy smiley wrote:

Tiesj Benoot out too, due to injuries picked up in a crash yesterday. Shame as they would both have been Serious contenders for the stage today and tomorrow.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Cavendish and Kittel are struggling today.