Re: Le Tour 2018: Official Thread

Post by nuffsaid »

P in VG wrote:General classification after S6

1. Greg van Avermaet 22h 25' 46"

2. Geraint Thomas +3 secs

3. Tejay van Garderen +5secs

4. Julian Alaphilippe +6 secs

5. Philippe Gilbert +12 secs

Dumoulin drops down to 1'03 - similar to most of the other GC contenders - so not disasterous for him because he had that time in the bank. Still unlucky though.
Is there a 20s penalty to add to that?
DOB

Post by DOB »

1.03 appears to be his official deficit. Edit, nope, it’s 1:23. He’s in 19th place.

Martin is now 25s behind Froome, basically equal with Dumoulin, and 45 behind Uran, who’s the top placed of the “serious contenders” (ie, not G, not TJ). If he stays in that range after Sunday, he’ll be delighted with himself.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

Segment on Dan Martin's win on last night's BBC Midlands Today local news made me laugh - "Dan Martin, born in Birmingham, won today's stage of the Tour de France." :lol:
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

DMs win got a good deal of coverage over here which is good to see. I was just reading a short interview with him after the race, that's UAEs first ever stage win at TDF. I know earlier in the season he, and a couple of other UAE cyclists, spoke about the pressure they were under to get some results. Aru dropping out of the Giro heaped further pressure on the team. But last night DM said that with a stage win the Tour is a success from a team perspective, and everything else is a bonus. Can only be good for having a crack going forward (not that he's likely to do anything else).

Fairly flat stage today, albeit quite long. Sagan or Gaviria again today I reckon.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Flat stage today and likely a sprint finish so probably Gaviria to win again.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Gospel wrote:Hell of a last km by Dan Martin. What a tremendous effort. Good ride by G to steal a couple of seconds back.
Agreed. He definitely used the experience from his second place last time to great effect. Went full gas early on the steeper section and used the easing of gradient with 400m to go for the briefest of recoveries and then went again. Great tactics and an incredible effort. Pleased for him. It was nice to see one his old eammates from Quickstep congratulating him afterwards.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

not much happening today
Groenewegen wins the sprint, gaviria went too early
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

that's a decent sized cathedral
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Akkerman wrote:that's a decent sized cathedral
Chartres? Yup, it's spectacular
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Akkerman wrote:not much happening today
It was a bit boring alright. Missed the end of it but good to see (hear?) Groenewegen get a stage.
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

happyhooker wrote:
Akkerman wrote:that's a decent sized cathedral
Chartres? Yup, it's spectacular
The cathedral and the ancient walls around the city gets beautifully lit up by coloured lights in the evenings each summer ...
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Bullettyme wrote:
It was a bit boring alright. Missed the end of it but good to see (hear?) Groenewegen get a stage.
Whoever thought that stage a good idea needs to be .... (insert punishment of choice).

Tbh, without the unplanned stuff like accidents and mechanicals, this has been the dullest first week I can remember.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

nuffsaid wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
Whoever thought that stage a good idea needs to be .... (insert punishment of choice).

Tbh, without the unplanned stuff like accidents and mechanicals, this has been the dullest first week I can remember.
Ah they said that last year as well.

Anyway, you're in for a treat again today. Sagan or Gaviria.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

I haven't watched much of this first week. Looking forward to the steeper stuff and when the race starts to get selective.
Frog Flair

Post by Frog Flair »

Bonjour everybody and Happy Bastille Day !!

I haven't been watching much of the first week but it seems that i didn't miss a lot. Tomorrow should be interesting with the cobbles stage and then the WC final :o
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

I love the mountain stages but for the life of me can't be bothered with anything else apart the time trials
DOB

Post by DOB »

I love a good sprint train. Seeing the ins and outs of a tight sprint finish with 5 guys launching at different points of the last 500m is a lot more fun than watching Sky shell out all the contenders until there’s only Froome and AN Other left to slog the remaining 5km.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Nasty crash involving Dan Martin. Currently about 50' behind the peloton. Disaster.

Edit: although it looks like he might regain contact. Really good work from UAE.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Groenewegen wins again.

Bad losses for Martin though, 1min15 or something. Shite :((
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Bullettyme wrote:Groenewegen wins again.

Never a genuine GC contender, better off shelling time and stage hunting IMO

Also Cav for the second day in a row nearly losing his back wheel when trying to put the power down when in a good position
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

I didn't see Martin's crash. Was it a bad one?
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

blindcider wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Groenewegen wins again.

Never a genuine GC contender, better off shelling time and stage hunting IMO
Disagree. He placed 6th last year and had he not fractured two vertebrae he may very well have been on the podium. No reason why he shouldn't attempt to improve on that this year, considering his form.
Last edited by Bullettyme on Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Gospel wrote:I didn't see Martin's crash. Was it a bad one?
Just saw the aftermath of it as I had the cycling on in the background but he looked fairly torn up afterwards.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Martin had blood on his elbow and tears in his shorts. Nothing major, but enough to hurt.

He has every right to go for GC, but I think the move to UAE was the wrong one. They didn’t have the horsepower in the TTT, and then the same trying to get him back on today.

Apparently Vaughters was saying the other day that a problem they had when Martin was at Garmin was he would sit too far back in the pack on road stages. And when you look at his results in sprint stages he’s always in 60th or 70th place, compared to Froome who’s never outside top 30, or Valverde who’s always top 20.
So on Thursday and Friday he got caught behind splits in the bunch and had to chase, and then today he got caught up in a back-50 crash. With 20km to go, he really ought to have been in the front 50. Also, who knows how much the chases of the past couple of days affected his team’s freshness and ability to bring him back in.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Bullettyme wrote:
Gospel wrote:I didn't see Martin's crash. Was it a bad one?
Just saw the aftermath of it as I had the cycling on in the background but he looked fairly torn up afterwards.
He will be fine.

Birmingham does not breed prima-dona softies.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Just saw that Griepel and Gaviria were sanctioned for some rough stuff in the sprint meaning Sagan moves up to second in the stage. Stretches ahead for green.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

DOB wrote:Martin had blood on his elbow and tears in his shorts. Nothing major, but enough to hurt.

He has every right to go for GC, but I think the move to UAE was the wrong one. They didn’t have the horsepower in the TTT, and then the same trying to get him back on today.

Apparently Vaughters was saying the other day that a problem they had when Martin was at Garmin was he would sit too far back in the pack on road stages. And when you look at his results in sprint stages he’s always in 60th or 70th place, compared to Froome who’s never outside top 30, or Valverde who’s always top 20.
So on Thursday and Friday he got caught behind splits in the bunch and had to chase, and then today he got caught up in a back-50 crash. With 20km to go, he really ought to have been in the front 50. Also, who knows how much the chases of the past couple of days affected his team’s freshness and ability to bring him back in.
His positioning has always looked fairly ropey. There's been numerous stages or one day races he could have won if only he'd hadn't had to come from so far back.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Bullettyme wrote:
nuffsaid wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:

Ah they said that last year as well.

Anyway, you're in for a treat again today. Sagan or Gaviria.
Different winner but correct analysis. Shame about Dan Martin.

Tomorrow should be a very different animal but at least it should be dry. I hope it doesn’t screw up the GC battle too much in advance of the mountains.

I guess there was a fair expectation of wind but, without it, the first week has looked a bit silly imo.
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Bullettyme wrote:Just saw that Griepel and Gaviria were sanctioned for some rough stuff in the sprint meaning Sagan moves up to second in the stage. Stretches ahead for green.
Sombody gave Gaviria the “Dylan Hartley Book of Cycling” last Christmas! :uhoh:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Gospel wrote:
DOB wrote:Martin had blood on his elbow and tears in his shorts. Nothing major, but enough to hurt.

His positioning has always looked fairly ropey. There's been numerous stages or one day races he could have won if only he'd hadn't had to come from so far back.
The 2 probably aren’t unconnected, but I would think there’s a slight difference between leaving your move too late in the final km, and just being badly positioned 20/50/100km out.

I thought Greipel was hard done by with the relegation. He’s not obliged to give up his line to anyone and all he was doing was defend his own space.
terryfinch

Post by terryfinch »

These sprint stages are so dull, apart from the last 200m. Far too many of them imho.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Tony Martin out of the Tour with fractured vertebrae. Dan Martin (no relation) fortunate enough to escape without any serious injuries.
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

terryfinch wrote:These sprint stages are so dull, apart from the last 200m. Far too many of them imho.
Agreed - although the organisers budgeted on the wind mixing things up a bit, but it never arrived.

Looking forward to some drama on the cobbles tomorrow & Alps next week :thumbup:
Seez

Post by Seez »

I rode 20 odd sectors of cobbles yesterday and am ruined today. How they race over them in a bunch is beyond me.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

porte crashes and out of the tour in tears
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Richie Porte falls off and out of the Tour again. Horrible for the guy
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

and bardet punctures on the first cobbles, it's going to be a long day
P in VG

Post by P in VG »

Oh man - gutted for Porte :(
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Pavé can be such a lottery. Exciting for spectators but inordinately costly for GC contenders. It's not a particularly fair way to make the selection.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Gospel wrote:Pavé can be such a lottery. Exciting for spectators but inordinately costly for GC contenders. It's not a particularly fair way to make the selection.

Agreed, the tour could be lost on a mechanical at the wrong time. Always a possibility but more so on the cobbles