Le Tour 2018: Official Thread

All things Rugby
nardol

Re: Le Tour 2018: Official Thread

Post by nardol »

Sky remind me of Discovery back in the day.

Just complete dominance of the race from start to finish.

edit. I get why people hate them
Last edited by nardol on Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Epic stage, smart riding by G at the end.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Bullettyme wrote:My stream was slow, boo TG4. Boo Sky too, but fair play to Thomas, looked very strong there.

Dumoulin looks really good as well, really strong. Pity Nibali got taken out (the fans didn't allow a fair contest :roll: ), serious ride to even get back in touch.
Nibali must have been raging which always helps a bit when you're knackered.
Womack

Post by Womack »

Froome couldn't blow the field apart today, you get the impression that's what he's going to have to do to wrest the MJ off G's shoulders. But long way to go yet, Bernal's great ride meant the team order issue could be deferred, but at some stage it may not be quite so comfortable for Sky on a big mountain stage - what happens then will be fascinating. Dumoulin or even Nibali may still have something to say, both looked strong today. Very nicely poised.

Edit: it is also still reasonably likely that Thomas will blow up in week 3!
nuffsaid

Post by nuffsaid »

Womack wrote:Froome couldn't blow the field apart today, you get the impression that's what he's going to have to do to wrest the MJ off G's shoulders. But long way to go yet, Bernal's great ride meant the team order issue could be deferred, but at some stage it may not be quite so comfortable for Sky on a big mountain stage - what happens then will be fascinating. Dumoulin or even Nibali may still have something to say, both looked strong today. Very nicely poised.

Edit: it is also still reasonably likely that Thomas will blow up in week 3!
GT’s comments post race were interesting in regard to his still working for Froome and Froome’s singular abilities over a 3 week race. He is very likeable, is Geraint.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Yeah just saw the comments from Thomas there. Still riding for "da man" Froome. Good luck to him whatever, would be good to see him still in contention towards the end.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

That stage had it all. Incredibly well paced ride by Sky. It was great to see the main protagonists fighting it out over the last few kms. I rather suspect Bardet could have won the stage if he'd not been quite so active.

Geraint looked great bringing it home with the maillot jaune on his back. This edition has been specifically designed for Dumoulin but it's playing right into G's hands. I hope he can survive until Paris but we know what usually happens in the final week for him.

The Dawg doesn't yet have his zip back.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

nardol wrote:Sky remind me of Discovery back in the day.

Just complete dominance of the race from start to finish.

edit. I get why people hate them
How were they dominating given the groups down the road? :lol:

What we saw was a really well paced ride which allowed the main protagonists to shoot it out. Any of six riders could have won the stage.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Sky can make all the noise about backing Froome they want, but he’s only 11s up on Dumoulin with a TT to come. So right now the only reason not to back G as team leader is because they’re worried he might go all Last week of the Giro Simon Yates in the Pyrenees.
sewa

Post by sewa »

DOB wrote:Sky can make all the noise about backing Froome they want, but he’s only 11s up on Dumoulin with a TT to come. So right now the only reason not to back G as team leader is because they’re worried he might go all Last week of the Giro Simon Yates in the Pyrenees.
Surely its a decision you postpone and see how it goes
frillage

Post by frillage »

DOB wrote:Sky can make all the noise about backing Froome they want, but he’s only 11s up on Dumoulin with a TT to come. So right now the only reason not to back G as team leader is because they’re worried he might go all Last week of the Giro Simon Yates in the Pyrenees.
Is it double bluff by sky. G plays up he is only there for Froome, just happens to be in yellow currently.
Other teams keep focusing on Froome and G keeps stealing the seconds at itermediate and on the line.

Don’t know if was luck, judgement or good planning, but Froome riding tempo to mark Bardet and G using acceleration to mark TD’s tempo increases was perfect.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

frillage wrote:Don’t know if was luck, judgement or good planning, but Froome riding tempo to mark Bardet and G using acceleration to mark TD’s tempo increases was perfect.
Not sure I follow as Bardet was the most active over the last 5km and put in several strong attacks which Froome had to spin up to cover. They both looked to have taken the legs from each other by the finish.
DOB

Post by DOB »

And it was a moto that knocked Nibali off, not a spectator. He’s gone for x-rays, potential broken vertebrae. Which would take a lot of the fun out of the last week, when Nibbles is usually strongest and most willing to have a go.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Gospel wrote:
frillage wrote:Don’t know if was luck, judgement or good planning, but Froome riding tempo to mark Bardet and G using acceleration to mark TD’s tempo increases was perfect.
Not sure I follow as Bardet was the most active over the last 5km and put in several strong attacks which Froome had to spin up to cover. They both looked to have taken the legs from each other by the finish.
There was almost a truce in the last 2km when they realised nobody would put any time on anybody. At one stage they even rode four abreast. So it wasn't actually suprising that Landa rejoined, and that Nibali and Roglic almost did.
Also when Quintana and Fuglsang cracked, I expected them to lose minutes, but in the end they limited their losses pretty well.
Womack

Post by Womack »

For all the talk of Sky dominance I wouldn't say a win by either Froome or Thomas is by any means assured. Thomas has to survive three more big mountain stages and not lose too much time to Dumoulin in the TT - if he does so it would be a GT performance that far exceeds anything he's done to date, albeit in different circumstances. Meanwhile, as DOB points out, Froome has a very slender lead over TD and on today's evidence at least, may not be able to gain much time on him in the mountains, if any. They're in an enviable position for sure but there are obvious fragilities there and their resources will be stretched to the limit.
DOB

Post by DOB »

It wasn’t a truce, more a 4-way Mexican standoff. Think the last scene of the Good the Bad and the Ugly or Reservoir Dogs, and everyone waiting for someone to shoot.

Then Landa came back and attacked first, and G reacted best.

Ultimately what that said was “we’re the guys who matter in this race, we don’t need to put time into anybody behind us.”

In previous years it would have been the job of the last Sky dom to keep the pace high there. But G is in yellow.
Womack

Post by Womack »

With both G and Froome both in the hunt for the GC, it does give Sky options in terms of how they respond on the road (or at least - as things stand - a very good fallback option in Froome), but it may blunt their ability to work together properly to put pressure on TD. I can't imagine either rider will be too enthused about sacrificing his chance for the other. But maybe they are more disciplined than that. Or maybe it won't matter. Going to be a really interesting last week!
Openside

Post by Openside »

God fanatic cycling supporters are such twats either getting in the way or just being divks. As for the plums letting off smoke when they are climbing and neededing every bit of oxygen they can gulp down, some dickwad thinks let them suck in
Multicoloured smoke :frown:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Nibali out with a broken vertebrae. Won’t start tomorrow. Bollocks.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

DOB wrote:Nibali out with a broken vertebrae. Won’t start tomorrow. Bollocks.
Ah that's absolutely shite :frown: really hope that fan gets some sort of karma.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Bullettyme wrote:
Ah that's absolutely shite :frown: really hope that fan gets some sort of karma.
It was a motorbike
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

Griepel, Gaviria and Groenewegen all missed the cut off today. Serious attrition of sprinters.

Laurent, didn't see the incident but heard it was a fan. Load of bollocks either way.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Laurent wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:
It was a motorbike
Think it was a fan, then the motorbike hit him in the smoke when he was already on the deck
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Cycling News comments are swivel-eyed over todays stage.
TokenSarriesFan

Post by TokenSarriesFan »

Alp D'Huez times are over 41 minutes plus not even in the top 150 all time.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

TokenSarriesFan wrote:Alp D'Huez times are over 41 minutes plus not even in the top 150 all time.
Actually was looking at a list earlier. Lot of people on the receiving end of bans at some point there.
1 37′ 35″ Marco Pantani 1997 Italy
2* 37′ 36″ Lance Armstrong 2004 United States
3 38′ 00″ Marco Pantani 1994 Italy
4 38′ 01″ Lance Armstrong 2001 United States
5 38′ 04″ Marco Pantani 1995 Italy
6 38′ 23″ Jan Ullrich 1997 Germany
7 38′ 34″ Floyd Landis 2006 United States
8 38′ 35″ Andreas Klöden 2006 Germany
9* 38′ 37″ Jan Ullrich 2004 Germany
10 39′ 02″ Richard Virenque 1997 France
11 39′ 06″ Iban Mayo 2003 Spain
12* 39′ 17″ Andreas Klöden 2004 Germany
13* 39′ 21″ Jose Azevedo 2004 Portugal
14 39′ 22″ Nairo Quintana 2015 Colombia
15 39′ 28″ Miguel Induráin 1995 Spain
16 39′ 28″ Alex Zülle 1995 Switzerland
17 39′ 30″ Bjarne Riis 1995 Denmark
18 39′ 31″ Carlos Sastre 2008 Spain
19 39′ 44″ Gianni Bugno 1991 Italy
20 39′ 45″ Miguel Induráin 1991 Spain
21 39′ 50″ Nairo Quintana 2013 Colombia
22 40′ 00″ Jan Ullrich 2001 Germany
23 40′ 46″ Fränk Schleck 2006 Luxembourg
24 40′ 51″ Alexander Vinokourov 2003 Kazakhstan
25 41′ 18″ Lance Armstrong 2003 United States
26 41′ 21″ Samuel Sánchez 2011 Spain
27 41′ 30″ Alberto Contador 2011 Spain
28 41′ 46″ Cadel Evans 2008 Australia
29 41′ 50″ Laurent Fignon 1989 France
30 41′ 50″ Luis Herrera 1987 Colombia
31 41′ 57″ Pierre Rolland 2011 France
32 42′ 15″ Pedro Delgado 1989 Spain*
33 42′ 18″ Thibaut Pinot 2015 France
34 43′ 12″ Ryder Hesjedal 2011 Canada
35 43′ 12″ Thomas Danielson 2011 United States
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

TokenSarriesFan wrote:Alp D'Huez times are over 41 minutes plus not even in the top 150 all time.
Yes, but Sky

Boos for Thomas :thumbdown:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Mick Mannock wrote:Cycling News comments are swivel-eyed over todays stage.
When aren’t they, though.
Saint

Post by Saint »

Mick Mannock wrote:Cycling News comments are swivel-eyed over todays stage.
I just read that disaster zone.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Team sky kept the gap at 6 mins give or take with ease. Then had 2 riders in the final front group. When TD attacked right after reeling in froome Thomas attacked.

They were in complete control and never at risk of being outplayed.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

I am so proud of G!
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

I was reading the previous comments and just was thinking about the impact on the competition for the maillot jaune in the last week when ... Bollocks ... I read this ...

:( :( :(
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Botha Boy wrote:
I was reading the previous comments and just was thinking about the impact on the competition for the maillot jaune in the last week when ... Bollocks ... I read this ...

:( :( :(
I had been really hopeful when he appeared to finish so strongly ... :((
GDBFC99

Post by GDBFC99 »

Can't follow the stages here, in holiday mode and I can't catch a TV signal but I just read about Nibali and Froome being on the receiving end of some dumbcnuts. Fooking shame, throw these people above a cliff. :thumbdown:
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Mick Mannock wrote:
Yes, but Sky

So let's speculate, Anon, do you think their wattage is higher or lower than previous Winners ... interesting isn't it when you can compare, I mean speculate ... ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think some of them were worried about even taking a puff of their inhalers this year ... and so be it ! :nod: :nod: :nod:
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Botha Boy wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Yes, but Sky

So let's speculate, Anon, do you think their wattage is higher or lower than previous Winners ... interesting isn't it when you can compare, I mean speculate ... ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think some of them were worried about even taking a puff of their inhalers this year ... and so be it ! :nod: :nod: :nod:
No need to speculate. The watts are much lower. But why do you keep bringing this stuff up on this thread?
Botha Boy

Post by Botha Boy »

Gospel wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Yes, but Sky

No need to speculate. The watts are much lower. But why do you keep bringing this stuff up on this thread?
Because it potentially underlines a return to more normal and respectful performance. I think harsh application of drug monitoring techniques ultimately leads to folks being less able to dope. And I am very familiar personally with the vagaries of biological analytical testing, its difficulties in terms of validation, its limitations and the challenge of ever developing drug modalities that make this field very challenging to stay competitive with the dopers.

So let's acknowledge a great race, folks folding early, slower times, and rejoice ... is this a cleaner race than the last two decades ... let's hope so ...

Geddit ?

Now let's bring on clean racing because we all love it !!!
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Botha Boy wrote:
Gospel wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Yes, but Sky

Because it potentially underlines a return to more normal and respectful performance. I think harsh application of drug monitoring techniques ultimately leads to folks being less able to dope. And I am very familiar personally with the vagaries of biological analytical testing, its difficulties in terms of validation, its limitations and the challenge of ever developing drug modalities that make this field very challenging to stay competitive with the dopers.

So let's acknowledge a great race, folks folding early, slower times, and rejoice ... is this a cleaner race than the last two decades ... let's hope so ...

Geddit ?

Now let's bring on clean racing because we all love it !!!
Well fūck that conversation off to the cycling thread.

Just caught up with today, if g doesn't break soon sky are going to have a dilemma on their hands, especially with td looking so strong
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

happyhooker wrote:Just caught up with today, if g doesn't break soon sky are going to have a dilemma on their hands, especially with td looking so strong
Nice dilemma to have.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Gospel wrote:
Botha Boy wrote:
Mick Mannock wrote:
Yes, but Sky

And I see BB has decided to join the select group of special people who think Anon and I am the same