Le Tour 2018: Official Thread

All things Rugby
Gospel

Re: Le Tour 2018: Official Thread

Post by Gospel »

P in VG wrote:Even if they did abuse the TUE system - it's not really comparable to the systemic doping of the early 90's & 00's
Allegations of abuse were completely unfounded but protected by parliamentary privilege. All TUEs have to be officially sanctioned. You can't just take what you want when you want and simply fill in some paperwork.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

guy smiley wrote:We should spare some time for the awesome achievement of Lawson Craddock, who made it to the finish line as Lantern Rouge after his heavy crash on the first stage left him with a cracked shoulder blade...

he rode 3500km with a cracked shoulder blade

and after pledging $100 for every day he managed to finish towards a fund to repair his home velodrome damaged in a cyclone, that pledge drew matching support from fans resulting in about $200 000 being promised.

This is the heroic story from this Tour. An amazing achievement and the stuff legends are made of.
Really heroic stuff from Craddock, and another great story from the Tour. I saw some videos of him after the TT stage and he couldn't hold back the tears, chapeau to him.

Very enjoyable Tour this year anyway, had a bit of everything and some great moments. Craddock and his crash, Thomas's win, Gilbert finishing a stage and two Cols with a cracked kneecap, Sagan's dominance, Martin getting some rewards for his attacks, the emergence of Bernal. Good stuff.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Bullettyme wrote:
blindcider wrote:
Miguel Indurain wrote:
Gospel wrote:You've got nothing other than innuendo. We're seeing the closest grand tour racing in years because it's a level playing field.
Except it isn't innuendo. The test result was clear.

UCI and the ASO chose instead to ignore the test result.
2 weeks

The warnings were farking clear and you keep on
It was a ban until the end of the Tour surely? Or is it because it's Sky that it's an issue? You seem happy to accuse other riders of cheating.
I specifically said I wasn't accusing Demarre of cheating just maybe pushing the grey areas of sticky bottles/drafting team cars/pushes from spectators. That was also based on the same dodgy timing data I had seen that Greipel also used to call out the organisers. I was wrong there based on Demarres power data.

I am also no team SKY fan although I do like some riders on SKY.

Direct doping accusations are a no-no always and Von Duggan continued after an extra warning FFS
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Good old Gaspel...
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Laurent wrote:Good old Gaspel...
Spitting at me will just cover your screen with gob fella.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

no need for that I am a proper cyclist.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Laurent wrote:no need for that I am a proper cyclist.
I knew it was you all along Marc Madiot.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Bindcider the tour is over. Wind your neck in.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

iarmhiman wrote:Bindcider the tour is over. Wind your neck in.
It's a fair cop. He was warned.

There is a discussion to be had but just spouting crap based on nothing more than personal emotion and inaccurate information is a shit way to behave.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Best cycling blog around. Good write up on this year's edition.

http://inrng.com/2018/07/the-moment-the ... more-34229
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Be interesting if we see a similar approach to crap accusations on rugby... warnings and then bannings.

I mean things that aren’t factually true ...

Take your pick:
- Eddie Jones is a plant
- Aussies can’t scrum
- All Blacks cheat, or poach

KG
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

kiwigreg369 wrote:Be interesting if we see a similar approach to crap accusations on rugby... warnings and then bannings.

Take your pick:
- Eddie Jones is a plant
- Aussies can’t scrum

KG
Direct doping accusations get bans there too.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

kiwigreg369 wrote:Be interesting if we see a similar approach to crap accusations on rugby... warnings and then bannings.

Take your pick:
- Eddie Jones is a plant
- Aussies can’t scrum

KG
This thread is moderated because if we talk doping it quickly turns into a shitfest and the race gets forgotten and posters just stop contributing. I am sure you knew that already.
nardol

Post by nardol »

That link mentions jiffy bags

BANHAMMER!
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

Gospel wrote:Best cycling blog around. Good write up on this year's edition.

http://inrng.com/2018/07/the-moment-the ... more-34229
Not seen him before, thanks for the link
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Bullettyme wrote:
guy smiley wrote:We should spare some time for the awesome achievement of Lawson Craddock, who made it to the finish line as Lantern Rouge after his heavy crash on the first stage left him with a cracked shoulder blade...

he rode 3500km with a cracked shoulder blade

and after pledging $100 for every day he managed to finish towards a fund to repair his home velodrome damaged in a cyclone, that pledge drew matching support from fans resulting in about $200 000 being promised.

This is the heroic story from this Tour. An amazing achievement and the stuff legends are made of.
Really heroic stuff from Craddock, and another great story from the Tour. I saw some videos of him after the TT stage and he couldn't hold back the tears, chapeau to him.

Very enjoyable Tour this year anyway, had a bit of everything and some great moments. Craddock and his crash, Thomas's win, Gilbert finishing a stage and two Cols with a cracked kneecap, Sagan's dominance, Martin getting some rewards for his attacks, the emergence of Bernal. Good stuff.
Yep, agree with all of that. Craddock is rightly getting some some really good coverage on local TV, which is unusual for this cycling unfriendly city. All the local cyclists are rightly puffing their chests out with pride, looking forward to the long overdue refurbishment of the Alkek velodrome :thumbup:

The mountain stages made for compelling viewing with I think only on relatively dud/quiet stage. Can't make my mind up about the cobbles, yes great viewing and certainly mixed things up, but not sure I agree with the high possibility of unavoidable accidents or mechanicals potentially having such a large impact on the outcome of the race. Yes I know that's just racing, but it seems exaggerated on the cobbles. The viewing public seems to like them, so I guess they're here to stay.

Overall great race and very pleased for G, deserving winner.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

blindcider wrote:

Take your pick:
- Eddie Jones is a plant
- Aussies can’t scrum

KG
Direct doping accusations get bans there too.
I'm sure you'd be consistent BC - but maybe other mods aren't
http://forum.planetrugby.com/viewtopic. ... lack+drugs

To be far there were no warnings so could be no bans

KG
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

guy smiley wrote:

There is a discussion to be had but just spouting crap based on nothing more than personal emotion and inaccurate information is a shit way to behave.
There is a point in that this thread has just been become a group of Sky fans who can say anything without anyone being able to present arguments on the other side. It has made for a pretty poor read generally.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Denirostaxidriver wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

There is a point in that this thread has just been become a group of Sky fans who can say anything without anyone being able to present arguments on the other side. It has made for a pretty poor read generally.
That's a slightly different issue though. Just tell them how good Tom Doumulin is and that he was the strongest rider in thisyear's tour. They love that.
Denirostaxidriver

Post by Denirostaxidriver »

guy smiley wrote:
Denirostaxidriver wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

That's a slightly different issue though. Just tell them how good Tom Doumulin is and that he was the strongest rider in thisyear's tour. They love that.
:lol: Point taken.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Denirostaxidriver wrote:There is a point in that this thread has just been become a group of Sky fans who can say anything without anyone being able to present arguments on the other side. It has made for a pretty poor read generally.
What is the other side? Are you a Movistar, Lotto-Jumbo or Sunweb fan? If you want to just accuse people of doping then go make a thread about it. This one is about the racing. Cyclingnews do this the same way - you have the race thread and then you have the clinic.
Armchair_Superstar

Post by Armchair_Superstar »

Denirostaxidriver wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

The point was that this thread is about the racing and if people want to have the same old doping debate where nobody ever changes their mind about anything anyway, they can do it elsewhere.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

guy smiley wrote:

Can someone translate this to French please?
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

DOB wrote:
Sundy wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned on this thread already but how gracious has Chris Froome been in defeat, even riding for Thomas. No one can accuse the guy of having an over inflated ego. I really can't imagine some of the other big names in the peloton reacting the same way to being beaten by their 2IC.
Probably easier when it's a good friend who you've known and ridden with for a decade, and who's been there and done everything he could for your success.

Unlike this guy, for example.
That's actually quite entertaining. :blush:
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

BlackMac wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Can someone translate this to French please?
Les rosbiffs sentent le moisi
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Laurent spotted in the crowd:

Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Poor gaspel.
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I think constant moaning about French and UCI conspiracies, French cheating and perceived fan behavior against "your" team is probably just as distracting as doping chat.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

The Astana Giro 2015 squad were openly called a disgrace in the Procycling thread, and I don't remember anyone getting banned over it. What's since changed?
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Bullettyme wrote:I think constant moaning about French and UCI conspiracies, French cheating and perceived fan behavior against "your" team is probably just as distracting as doping chat.
The behaviour of the French media aided and abetted by the French UCI President together with ASO created a huge PR disaster. The race is hard enough to police as it is - whipping the locals up into a lynch mob mentality that saw Sky riders physically assaulted was hugely irresponsible and it's entirely reasonable to call them out on it.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Beaver_Shark wrote:The Astana Giro 2015 squad were openly called a disgrace in the Procycling thread, and I don't remember anyone getting banned over it. What's since changed?
Astana (and their Conti level team, part of the broader organization) had literally had 3 riders test positive in the space of a few months before that. It seems to have generally been just the Kazakh riders in the squad, there to make up numbers, but the team was close to being chucked off the World Tour.

Plus Vino.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Beaver_Shark wrote:The Astana Giro 2015 squad were openly called a disgrace in the Procycling thread, and I don't remember anyone getting banned over it. What's since changed?
We try to keep this thread for discussion of the actual race, otherwise it descends into a shit show. Go for your life in the other threads.
nardol

Post by nardol »

Gospel wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:I think constant moaning about French and UCI conspiracies, French cheating and perceived fan behavior against "your" team is probably just as distracting as doping chat.
The behaviour of the French media aided and abetted by the French UCI President together with ASO created a huge PR disaster. The race is hard enough to police as it is - whipping the locals up into a lynch mob mentality that saw Sky riders physically assaulted was hugely irresponsible and it's entirely reasonable to call them out on it.
yes, yes we get it. You dont need to bother to post Gospel. Anyone that dares paint sky in any negative picture is the devil as they can do no wrong... we get it
DOB

Post by DOB »

nardol wrote:
Gospel wrote:
yes, yes we get it. You dont need to bother to post Gospel. Anyone that dares paint sky in any negative picture is the devil as they can do no wrong... we get it
Well Sky are the Spiritual Guardians of our sport.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Gospel wrote:
Exhibit A.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

Irish, French and a very confused Kiwi pouring scorn on a British sporting success - fancy that.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I've been quite clear with my praise for Thomas. Perhaps you've confused me with someone else. A voice in your head, for instance.
frillage

Post by frillage »

Gospel wrote:Irish, French and a very confused Kiwi pouring scorn on a British sporting success - fancy that.
No, no they are definitely pouring scorn on you.
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

frillage wrote:
Gospel wrote:Irish, French and a very confused Kiwi pouring scorn on a British sporting success - fancy that.
No, no they are definitely pouring scorn on you.
Who the fudge asked you blow in? :lol:
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

guy smiley wrote:I've been quite clear with my praise for Thomas. Perhaps you've confused me with someone else. A voice in your head, for instance.
Same. But again I think we're part of the global conspiracy against Sky.