Florida tips

All things Rugby
Sandstorm

Re: Florida tips

Post by Sandstorm »

It's a big place, you can find great and terrible places all over.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Gulf coast Florida is superb for holidays amazing beaches and wildlife.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Man In Black wrote:At the risk of offending, what’s Florida like for a holiday? Is it worth a trip or is it bogan central?

Depends.

Got kids? Orlando is the best holiday ever.

Planning on setting up a cocaine-importing operation? Miami will seem unwelcoming.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Worth paying a visit to St Augustine.
Miami is interesting only for the art deco buildings.
Key West is a bit meh...
Naples is very nice.
Orlando for the kiddies
Daytona is rammed with rednecks.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Fly into Tampa and kick around that area. Google Ybor City, Crystal River, Siesta Key.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Man In Black wrote:
Duff Paddy wrote:Gulf coast Florida is superb for holidays amazing beaches and wildlife.
Anywhere specific? I’m planning on mostly lying on a beach drinking but wouldn’t mind the opportunity to see an alligator or go wakeboarding or whatever.
Naples and Saint Pete’s/Clearwater both great. Fly into Tampa. Depends what you want - the beaches from Reddington down to Fort De Soto national park are great
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Haven't you just been to Canada??

All I know about Florida is that cigar city and funky Buddha are excellent breweries
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Cigar City is excellent. The brewery is in Tampa. Maduro Brown Ale. :thumbup:
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Man In Black wrote:Thanks chaps. I've got no kids, but I'll be bringing the missus along so having loads of hot birds about isn't a requirement. Some good tips here, keep them coming! :thumbup:
You move quickly
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Man In Black wrote:
happyhooker wrote:Haven't you just been to Canada??

All I know about Florida is that cigar city and funky Buddha are excellent breweries
Yeah but headed back there in a few weeks and want somewhere to go after for a holiday.

By the way, I swung via Seattle and Portland on my way back. The brewery scene is pretty astonishing in both. Basically on every corner there seems to be a different brewery. Cracking stuff.
It's the Mecca really. Lucky bastard
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Leinsterman wrote:Worth paying a visit to St Augustine.
Key West is a bit meh...
Naples is very nice.
Orlando for the kiddies
They know how to drink and have a tailgate party at Nascar though.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

danny_fitz wrote:
Leinsterman wrote:Worth paying a visit to St Augustine.
Key West is a bit meh...
Naples is very nice.
Orlando for the kiddies
They know how to drink and have a tailgate party at Nascar though.
Bring your own Bud Light.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Bowens wrote:Fly into Tampa and kick around that area. Google Ybor City, Crystal River, Siesta Key.
This

It really depends what you want from your trip
Florida has everything
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Miami Beach etc are nice but crowded, lots of traffic, overpriced. Plus you won't see any gators or manatees.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Man In Black wrote:
Bowens wrote:Fly into Tampa and kick around that area. Google Ybor City, Crystal River, Siesta Key.
So Tampa is better than Miami?
There is probably more on the Gulf coast to see or do
There is nothing on that side that compares with Miami, but do you want to see Miami/big city life?
Do you want to do the theme park?
Do you want to just lie on the beach?
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Man In Black wrote:Thanks chaps. I've got no kids, but I'll be bringing the missus along so having loads of hot birds about isn't a requirement. Some good tips here, keep them coming! :thumbup:
No rule 1? :x
houtkabouter

Post by houtkabouter »

Tampa is like the San Francisco of Florida, much preferred it to Miami.

I go to Orlando every year to run in a charity event, I've grown quite fond of the place. Getting to the coast is relatively easy, Tampa is only a couple of hours away. You can also get to Kennedy.

St Augustine is very nice.

Jacksonville always has some Music stuff happening if you're a blues/Jazz fan.

If you're lucky you can co-incide with a launch from Kennedy, and the space centre is pretty cool, specially for kids (or big kids)

Don't waste you tim on a trip to Crystal Springs, the chances of seeing manatees is very slim, they are in protected spaces which you cannot go in. You can however watch other fat people in wetsuits and pretend they're manatees if you must :)
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

Jacksonville sucks and so does Orlando without kids. I'm here to help.
Prolate Spheroid Exile

Post by Prolate Spheroid Exile »

When you go will dictate where you should go.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Not been to Tampa so can't speak much about it. On another FL thread, soebody mentioned Ybor City, the hip part of Tampa, and it looks neat. https://yborcityonline.com/

We recently moved to north of Miami, around the Boca Raton-Delray Beach-Boynton Beach area. We are hotelling it until we find a 'hood we like. Really nice here. The beachfront, partcularly at Delray is a happening place.

Yesterday went to Boca Raton's Kids Science Explorium. A little small but still good and free. However, the attached park was epic for kids. http://www.scienceexplorium.org/

Naples is fancy, but not much for kids except beach.

Atlantic side better for boarding than Gulf. Too flat. Also found that SE (Miami and north where we are) is hotter but breezier than NW (Tampa down to Naples - 3 hour drive with kids).

South Beach (Miami) is a meca for a night out, get lots of bars/restaurants and was very well behaved when we went. It was fine to take kids there - we left around 9:30PM. Just good to see the bars/restaurants all playing latin music and each has lights (white or coloured) shining up onto front of buildings.
shanky

Post by shanky »

houtkabouter wrote: If you're lucky you can co-incide with a launch from Kennedy, and the space centre is pretty cool, specially for kids (or big kids)
This (minus even the launch thing)
Kennedy Space Centre is a must-see for anyone. It’s the sort of place that is truly magical.

I’ll usually say something like ‘Just go. If you don’t like it, I’ll refund your tickets’. It’s that fricken magical.

Such is my love and admiration of the place, and it’s personification of the ingenuity of mankind and the wonder of the American spirit, I’ll extend that offer to MiB, a bloke who dislikes me, merely because he thinks I’m another bloke

;)

Go, enjoy. You won’t regret :thumbup:

Enjoy
Last edited by shanky on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

If you are gonna be around until the end of the month look up Guavaween in Tampa.
Prolate Spheroid Exile

Post by Prolate Spheroid Exile »

Man In Black wrote:
Prolate Spheroid Exile wrote:When you go will dictate where you should go.
Mid October.
Tampa area tends be cooling off by then and has lower sea temperatures, anywhere south of there on the west coast is kind of boring and more for "snow birds" who have winter homes than tourists.

Fort Lauderdale would be my advice, tropical climate, much warmer water, a night in Miami Beach is only a $35/40 Uber ride, easy access to big airports, tons of beach front hotels, decent nighlife/ beachlife/ fishing charters.

A slower paced alternative I would also recommend is Marathon in the middle Keys.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

The difference in water temperatures between Tampa and Lauderdale will be like one degree. There's better fishing on the Atlantic side, though.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Prolate Spheroid Exile wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Prolate Spheroid Exile wrote:When you go will dictate where you should go.
Mid October.
Tampa area tends be cooling off by then and has lower sea temperatures, anywhere south of there on the west coast is kind of boring and more for "snow birds" who have winter homes than tourists.

Fort Lauderdale would be my advice, tropical climate, much warmer water, a night in Miami Beach is only a $35/40 Uber ride, easy access to big airports, tons of beach front hotels, decent nighlife/ beachlife/ fishing charters.

A slower paced alternative I would also recommend is Marathon in the middle Keys.
We moved from VA to SE FL because of the winter weather. When you look at a map of the US during the winter months, the only spot that is consisitently warm 70F+ is this area.
globus

Post by globus »

My best man has a property in Naples. You go down "Alligator Alley" unless you fly via Jet Blue into Fort Myers.

Not much to do there except shop and eat. (There are some very decent restaurants.)

The beach is a bit spartan.

Probably not an option but you can go from there to the Florida Keys and see the 'gators.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

globus wrote:My best man has a property in Naples. You go down "Alligator Alley" unless you fly via Jet Blue into Fort Myers.

Not much to do there except shop and eat. (There are some very decent restaurants.)

The beach is a bit spartan.

Probably not an option but you can go from there to the Florida Keys and see the 'gators.
Very few gators in the Keys as they're fresh water species, however there are some saltwater some crocodiles there. If you want to see gators go to the Gulf coast side of the mainland, particularly the Everglades.
Bowens

Post by Bowens »

There are some crocs in the Keys. Generally they are hard to spot (like panthers) but they’re there.
dpedin

Post by dpedin »

Bowens wrote:Jacksonville sucks and so does Orlando without kids. I'm here to help.
Never been to Jacksonville but had a golfing trip to Orlando in April/May. Courses were great but the Orlando nightlife was fantastic. Avoid Disney etc like the plague but remember all those park employees have nights off and go out partying. We asked around and ended up in some great districts with great parties going on. Cinco de Mayo was just wild! We had a fantastic time.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Man In Black wrote:
It’s you who doesn’t like me, bro. I like everyone. Thanks for the tip, I’m sure I’ll love it.
Well then, I’m glad of the opportunity to clear that up, because nothing could be further from the truth. I have a great deal of respect for your views and humour.

Play hard on the pitch, drink beer and talk shit together afterwards.
:thumbup:

Hope you have a great time. :)
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Man In Black wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:Mar-a-lago. [/endofthread]
Can you get me invited?
Depends. Are you a racist?
How racist do I need to be? I’m probably somewhere on a spectrum between you and Farva.
That's one hell of a spectrum tbf.

Surely the correct answer is " how racist do I need to be?" and nail that
shanky

Post by shanky »

happyhooker wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:
Man In Black wrote:
Seneca of the Night wrote:Mar-a-lago. [/endofthread]
Can you get me invited?
Depends. Are you a racist?
How racist do I need to be? I’m probably somewhere on a spectrum between you and Farva.
That's one hell of a spectrum tbf.

Surely the correct answer is " how racist do I need to be?" and nail that
In practice, it’s not really a racism spectrum, but more of a ethno-apologist spectrum. I’ll concede though, that this term is not as catchy.