RC: All Blacks vs Springboks: MATCH THREAD: Sept 15

All things Rugby
sorCrer

Re: RC: All Blacks vs Springboks: MATCH THREAD: Sept 15

Post by sorCrer »

Peteray wrote:We live by the sword, we die by the sword. Goalkicks, quick taps, quick throws, and in your face passes have all won us tests in the past, just not today (Saturday). Mostly it was a shit attitude against the Saffas. Take anyone too easy, and they will bite you in the arse.

The good news................ someone early in the thread put $500 at 9/1 didn't they? What a roller-coaster that was.
Was me! 8)

Except it was ZAR. Happy nonetheless.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

sorCrer wrote:
Peteray wrote:We live by the sword, we die by the sword. Goalkicks, quick taps, quick throws, and in your face passes have all won us tests in the past, just not today (Saturday). Mostly it was a shit attitude against the Saffas. Take anyone too easy, and they will bite you in the arse.

The good news................ someone early in the thread put $500 at 9/1 didn't they? What a roller-coaster that was.
Was me! 8)

Except it was ZAR. Happy nonetheless.
Zimbabwean Rupees?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

obelixtim wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
Cartman wrote:Pollard only practised kicking last week
He's gotten quite good at it in such a short time. Maybe Beauden should think about practicing it too.
You'd think Grant Fox would sort out BBs kicking.
That’s not his role. He’s a selector, not a coach. I have heard him discuss this. If he notes some deficiency or room for improvement or scope for tweaking he’ll have a quiet word and relay it through the coaching staff. He is very conscious of the role he has and not overstepping.

After this weekend Shag might ask him to take a more direct interest.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Thomas wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
Monk Zombie wrote:Random thoughts:

Crotty should not have played and needs a few months away from the game

Cannot remember when last I saw scrumming like that. The packs made it easy for Nigel Owens.

Great to see a game played with that intensity and no handbags whatsoever
Yep, no niggle. But then again, Australia weren't playing so not unexpected.

Just a great test match all round.
:roll:
Compulsory Australian niggle, it’s a thing :nod:
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

mr bungle wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
He's gotten quite good at it in such a short time. Maybe Beauden should think about practicing it too.
That’s not his role. He’s a selector, not a coach. I have heard him discuss this. If he notes some deficiency or room for improvement or scope for tweaking he’ll have a quiet word and relay it through the coaching staff. He is very conscious of the role he has and not overstepping.

So, after selection is done and dusted, one of the best AB goalkickers ever stands around with his finger up his arse?

I bet he'd be more on to it than any kicking coach the ABs have. And if they do have a kicking coach, WTF has he been doing?
brat

Post by brat »

Wilderbeast wrote:
brat wrote:That certainly won't be a one off unless Barrett learns to control the game better and kick well

I suspect we could end up with another loss in the NH

Will be interesting to see if Hansen plays Jodie again..he's well off smith at fb and doesn't deserve a place in the 23
Jordie isn’t competing against Smith. He’s competing against Naholo (and other wingers). We dont lose much moving Smith to wing. It’s been done many times in the past.
Didn’t say he was competing with smith- whose a dead cert back 3 player every game

The point is we do actually lose a lot moving him to wing when an inferior fb is messing up the whole dynamic of the back 3
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

obelixtim wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

So, after selection is done and dusted, one of the best AB goalkickers ever stands around with his finger up his arse?

I bet he'd be more on to it than any kicking coach the ABs have. And if they do have a kicking coach, WTF has he been doing?
There's no guarantee a good player makes a good coach. It's usually the reverse. Tana, for example.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

brat wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
brat wrote:That certainly won't be a one off unless Barrett learns to control the game better and kick well

Will be interesting to see if Hansen plays Jodie again..he's well off smith at fb and doesn't deserve a place in the 23
Jordie isn’t competing against Smith. He’s competing against Naholo (and other wingers). We dont lose much moving Smith to wing. It’s been done many times in the past.
Didn’t say he was competing with smith- whose a dead cert back 3 player every game

The point is we do actually lose a lot moving him to wing when an inferior fb is messing up the whole dynamic of the back 3
Which is why it makes sense to put BB @ 15 and RM @ 10. Is there a tier 1 test fullback slower than JB?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Mick Byrne was kicking coach for the ABs for a long time and now he's with the Wallabies.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Kahu wrote:
brat wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

Which is why it makes sense to put BB @ 15 and RM @ 10. Is there a tier 1 test fullback slower than JB?
DHP
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Agreed.
The ABs play a game that's pushing the limits of skills and athleticism. But most of the time they have the ability to match.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

As a neutral, it was an absolute cracking match.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

guy smiley wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
mr bungle wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:

There's no guarantee a good player makes a good coach. It's usually the reverse. Tana, for example.
True, but.....

Its goal kicking, and having listened to Foxy in his days as a TV commentator, he is obviously a good analyst of technique and strategy, he puts some thought into the game, which is prolly why he's part of the Zoo. I'm sure he can give BB some good advice as to his technique.

Whether BB listens is another matter.
brat

Post by brat »

Kahu wrote:
brat wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:

I would love to see that as I think it’s potentially our best combination.. naholo would be gone though
Toro

Post by Toro »

Ted. wrote:
Toro wrote:
Mr Fedora wrote:
Peteray wrote:I guess we could go down the road of who did and didn't do well, but at the end of the day maybe it was attitude. Strong wins to date in the RC, and getting 12 points in the first 10 minutes, I think the AB's loosened up, let the Boks back in, and struggled to get their heads in the right place afterwards.
Pretty much how I saw it. On the plus side, doubt we’ll see Barrett, B. play so badly again.

Credit to the Boks though. Played like Boks of old - like they were ready to die for the cause. Great to see. Keep it up Bokke. World rugby needs two strong teams in green.
Not sure he played that badly to be honest, we dominated everything and made metres and line breaks at will. Neither of the two brain farts were his (JB and nugget) He just had a horrible day off the tee, and did some sh.t cross kicks.
What did Nugget do, or do you mean ALB?

We scored 34 points last night, so not all was bad. It's just that the Boks scored more points they exploited our defence better than we did theirs. Also we made too many errors as critical times, possibly a manifestation of the pressure we were put under.

I'm annoyed by the poor place kicking, and the up and unders, but if we had one based on better kicking I think it would have papered over the cracks to some extent.

At the end if tha e day, the Boks were up for it more than the ABs and that was reflected in their dogged attitude and better finishing of limited chances.
Nugget took the quick tap that should've been drilled into the corner and let to gifting them a try. The major turning point of the match for mine, if we'd kicked to the corner I think we'd have had a comfortable victory.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

obelixtim wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
I remember when he was talking about Carlos and he said that there's some players who you just can't make any better than what they are (not because they wont learn but because of how they kick) - maybe BB is like that?
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

UncleFB wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
I remember when he was talking about Carlos and he said that there's some players who you just can't make any better than what they are (not because they wont learn but because of how they kick) - maybe BB is like that?
If you have played golf you will know what I'm talking about but hitting the ball millimeters off, means meters off in the end - not hitting the "sweet spot", the angle of the foot (club face), the arc and plane. And when you aren't hitting it sweet you try to steer the ball in the right direction, pushing, pulling the shot, not hitting (kicking) through.

Weirdly, BB had no problem with the kicks from the sideline, it was those virtually in front that troubled him
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Jensrsa wrote:
UncleFB wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
Jay Cee Gee wrote:
If you have played golf you will know what I'm talking about but hitting the ball millimeters off, means meters off in the end - not hitting the "sweet spot", the angle of the foot (club face), the arc and plane. And when you aren't hitting it sweet you try to steer the ball in the right direction, pushing, pulling the shot, not hitting (kicking) through.

Weirdly, BB had no problem with the kicks from the sideline, it was those virtually in front that troubled him
Actually having taken a fair few place kicks myself in my time, it is ones at about 1/3 to half way along to the sideline if you're having a bad day that are the bitch. They're supposed to be easy... and they're not... you're just not seeing the angle correctly.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

I think he’s been feeling a lot of pressure on his goal kicking. The ones he should get are where it’s worst. He probably felt a bit less pressure on the touch line.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

BB slotted the tough kicks and missed two easy ones in front? Choke
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Sandstorm wrote:BB slotted the tough kicks and missed two easy ones in front? Choke

:shock:

Uhoh. Someone dropped the C-Bomb!!!
Puma

Post by Puma »

Hong Kong wrote:As a neutral, it was an absolute cracking match.
+1

Worth getting up at 4:30 AM to watch it.
J Man

Post by J Man »

Yeah, it's obviously not a coaching issue with BB (who needs a coach to kick a ball ffs).

It is obviously all in his head. He has the worst case of goal kicking yips in history.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

It's not just the goal kicking with BB though.

I know I'll get shot down for this on party lines but I reckon he had a poor game. I commented early in the 1st half about his passing being 'ropey'. I was being kind and didn't want to inflame a shitfight while the game was live.

I don't know of another international back who performs a two handed netball pass to an outside player as often as he does. His game more often than not seems to be one of shuffling sideways before passing it a metre to a player almost in contact. For a player lauded as being so fast he very rarely seems to try and use his speed to bust through the line himself. I know he does that at times but it seems to me to be when he pops up out wide in the line and there's space.

Then there's the kickpass. It's a great weapon to have in your arsenal but it needs to work more than it fails to be worth trying too often and again, just an impression I've got but it's like it's become his party trick and he pulls it out a couple of times every game.

To be fair he did distribute at times during the game and he's not a dud player but my feeling is we should get a bit brutal here and accept that apart from one game against the Wallabies, who are struggling badly, BB hasn't really set the world on fire as a 1st 5/8 for a couple of seasons.

That article I posted about the ABs looking to use 2nd 5 as the attacking position poses a question... if that is what the coaches are trying to do is it having a negative effect on BB's game in subduing his own natural attacking style?
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

It just dawned on me that this game, and the Aus V Argentina game straight after it, ended in almost identical fashion. The fullback spilling the ball before making the last pass in the last play of overtime.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

guy smiley wrote:It's not just the goal kicking with BB though.

I know I'll get shot down for this on party lines but I reckon he had a poor game. I commented early in the 1st half about his passing being 'ropey'. I was being kind and didn't want to inflame a shitfight while the game was live.

I don't know of another international back who performs a two handed netball pass to an outside player as often as he does. His game more often than not seems to be one of shuffling sideways before passing it a metre to a player almost in contact. For a player lauded as being so fast he very rarely seems to try and use his speed to bust through the line himself. I know he does that at times but it seems to me to be when he pops up out wide in the line and there's space.

Then there's the kickpass. It's a great weapon to have in your arsenal but it needs to work more than it fails to be worth trying too often and again, just an impression I've got but it's like it's become his party trick and he pulls it out a couple of times every game.

To be fair he did distribute at times during the game and he's not a dud player but my feeling is we should get a bit brutal here and accept that apart from one game against the Wallabies, who are struggling badly, BB hasn't really set the world on fire as a 1st 5/8 for a couple of seasons.

That article I posted about the ABs looking to use 2nd 5 as the attacking position poses a question... if that is what the coaches are trying to do is it having a negative effect on BB's game in subduing his own natural attacking style?
Nah, you've hit it on the head.
The Boks, much like the Lions didn't give him any space at all, they were pushing up on defence and the ABs couldn't adjust.
9 times out of 10, they'll be able to break the line or make a <spit> box-kick behind them to keep them honest, but not his time.
And you're right about the kickpass. Yeah, it's been an effective novelty but he's overplaying it like Yeeb with a joke.
eugenius

Post by eugenius »

Sandstorm wrote:BB slotted the tough kicks and missed two easy ones in front? Choke

:roll:
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

You thieving plum, I said all of that on another thread.
Piss-flaps at dawn! :)

As for where it's gone wrong for Barrett, I'm not sure this lot of coaches can take any of the blame.
Crabbing was his favourite modus operandi for the Canes most of this year.
Running straight (and I don't mean straight towards the sideline) before passing would do the rest of the backline a world of good.

As for the attacking kicks, the ones that seem to have worked for him over the years are the chip and regather (himself), and not much else.
He has a poor success ratio with cross kicks, bombs and grubbers.

I know you need variety to keep the opposition guessing making them hesitate, but I really don't think the ABs need him to try it so often, turning over so much ball.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

sonic_attack wrote:It just dawned on me that this game, and the Aus V Argentina game straight after it, ended in almost identical fashion. The fullback spilling the ball before making the last pass in the last play of overtime.
Except DMac didn't do anything stupid like God Squad did. He held the pass because it would have been intercepted but then had the ball knocked out of his hands - so I guess you could say his stupidness was not holding the ball tight enough.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

merlin the happy pig wrote:

You thieving plum, I said all of that on another thread.
Piss-flaps at dawn! :)

As for where it's gone wrong for Barrett, I'm not sure this lot of coaches can take any of the blame.
Crabbing was his favourite modus operandi for the Canes most of this year.
Running straight (and I don't mean straight towards the sideline) before passing would do the rest of the backline a world of good.

As for the attacking kicks, the ones that seem to have worked for him over the years are the chip and regather (himself), and not much else.
He has a poor success ratio with cross kicks, bombs and grubbers.

I know you need variety to keep the opposition guessing making them hesitate, but I really don't think the ABs need him to try it so often, turning over so much ball.
Sorry, I didn't see your post but the whiteouts have made reading this joint hopeless over the last couple of days. Piss flaps it is :lol:

There's a bit of a 'sacred cow' syndrome that flares up when you criticise BB. I probably didn't help by enjoying some trolling that towards the end of the Soup season, after the French series when we started the whole #RichieMo thing. The argument, if it is that, has been churning along for months. A simple and pragmatic view is that we need more than DMac for cover in case of injury and Mo'unga is the only other candidate and he needs exposure in the role.

Some have argued that BB needs time to regain form. I argue that Mo'unga needs time to adapt and be assessed... and if that puts pressure on BB then so be it. I think he needs it because what we've seen from him in the way of form is more that of a random attack weapon in the backline than genuine distributor and general.

This loss has been coming a while. On it's own it's no reason to panic of course... but if we don't see a tidying up in general backline play then I think we're in a bit of bother and only a couple of injuries to key forwards away from being seriously challenged.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

I heard on the radio that only 12% of attempted match winning snap drop goals are successful in test rugby history. In which case the ABs, with a 3 on 2 situation, made statistically the right call in going for the try. Arrogance had nothing to do with it.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

I don't think it's a matter of Barrett finding form. When he is pressured (e.g like the Boks, Lions and teams like the Crusaders do) he is neutralised at best and at worst pushes things too far. You know what you are going to get but expanding in-game options is a different matter than form. Give him space and the form is there sadly versatility is harder.
Couch

Post by Couch »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trust the Cuntab Richie slowunga brigade to bitch and moan about Beauden Barrett, you fuckers should be grateful he's not playing for England ffs!

Unbelievable... the whole team played shit, you can't pin it on one person. Sure mathematically we could have won, but we should never have gifted 5 tries to this Bok side, you're just asking to get spanked. Give credit to the massive defensive effort of the Springboks and notch this loss to experience.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Couch wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Trust the Cuntab Richie slowunga brigade to bitch and moan about Beauden Barrett, you fuckers should be grateful he's not playing for England ffs!

Unbelievable... the whole team played shit, you can't pin it on one person. Sure mathematically we could have won, but we should never have gifted 5 tries to this Bok side, you're just asking to get spanked. Give credit to the massive defensive effort of the Springboks and notch this loss to experience.

Welp, the couch is broken.

edit: And he's doubled down with this post on the Jordie Barrett thread:
Couch wrote:Where's the ALB thread????

Did people actually watch the game???

And let's not forget Reiko Ioane waited for the ball to bounce instead of going after it like he should of, Willie was anticipating him to grab it but he bitched out at the last moment and Willie snatched it off his grasp

This is why the ABs can't afford to lose... ever. Some of the more fragile supporters just can't cope.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Well, that's Couch.

No ticker. Just a one man air raid siren... whhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Turbogoat wrote:
Couch wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Welp, the couch is broken.

edit: And he's doubled down with this post on the Jordie Barrett thread:
Couch wrote:Where's the ALB thread????

Did people actually watch the game???

And let's not forget Reiko Ioane waited for the ball to bounce instead of going after it like he should of, Willie was anticipating him to grab it but he bitched out at the last moment and Willie snatched it off his grasp

This is why the ABs can't afford to lose... ever. Some of the more fragile supporters just can't cope.
I'm going to take a shot at Scott too - Couch's melt down might cause the white out of all white outs!
Uthikoloshe

Post by Uthikoloshe »

Turbogoat wrote:
They just need practise. Did you notice how zen the saffers where before the game?
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Couch displays all of the behaviors he claims to dislike.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Couch :lol: at least he's consistent.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Chilli wrote:
maxbox wrote:A rugby genius you say?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
To the WP / Stomps supporters he is <Sards>
8)