Hurricane Florence

All things Rugby
Old Man by the Sea

Hurricane Florence

Post by Old Man by the Sea »

Will this forecast hold and be the mother of all hurricanes ?
Our county issued mandatory evacuations tomorrow. Seems kind of over the top, not much rain in forecast till Thursday, then Friday it hits.
Most folks we know are not going anywhere.
kiwinoz

Re: Hurricane Florence

Post by kiwinoz »

Old Man [b]in [/b]the Sea wrote:Will this forecast hold and be the mother of all hurricanes ?
Our county issued mandatory evacuations tomorrow. Seems kind of over the top, not much rain in forecast till Thursday, then Friday it hits.
Stay safe.
Old Man by the Sea

kiwinoz wrote:
Old Man [b]in [/b]the Sea wrote:Will this forecast hold and be the mother of all hurricanes ?
Stay safe.
Thanks.

The Virginia Governor has given mandatory evacuation for 250,000 people. I have no idea how you evacuate 250,000 people.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Commercial tv weather report here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7xas5iKF-A

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-11/m ... 4/10229874
Hurricane Florence has exploded into a potentially catastrophic category 4 storm as it zeroes in on North and South Carolina, carrying winds of up to 209kph and water that could wreak havoc over a wide stretch of the eastern United States later this week.

The hurricane continues to grow in size and strength as it barrels towards the coast.

The National Hurricane Centre said the monster storm was continuing to intensify and would be close to category 5 strength by Tuesday (local time).

"The bottom line is that there is high confidence that Florence will be a large and extremely dangerous hurricane, regardless of its exact intensity," a spokesman said.
If Florence slows to a crawl just off the coast, it could bring torrential rains to the Appalachian mountains and as far away as West Virginia, causing flash floods, mudslides and other dangerous conditions.

The storm's potential path also includes half a dozen nuclear power plants, pits holding coal ash and other industrial waste, and numerous eastern pig farms that store animal waste in huge open air lagoons.

National Hurricane Centre director Ken Graham warned Florence was forecast to linger over the Carolinas once it made landfall.

People living well inland should prepare to lose power and endure flooding and other hazards, he warned.

"It's not just the coast," Mr Graham said.

"When you stall a system like this and it moves real slow, some of that rainfall can extend well away from the centre.
If it tracks according to forecast it's going to be a monster then. I'd get out early, myself.
Old Man by the Sea

The coast many times makes out better then inland. Inland areas have rivers and creeks that overflow. I'm maybe 2 miles from ocean and then a mile at the most to the Bay. At this point we are staying. I don't understand locals leaving on Monday when the storm won't hit till Friday. The forecast could easily change. That's life on a sandbar.

Incredible waves today. Surfers paradise. I have a sprained back from a lesser storm but was blown away by the beauty and the waves at the beach tonight.

The County next to ours banned all alcohol sales from tomorrow till the storm passes which will be this weekend. That's interesting ?

I think Hawaii is going to get a storm as well.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Old Man by the Sea wrote:The coast many times makes out better then inland. Inland areas have rivers and creeks that overflow. I'm maybe 2 miles from ocean and then a mile at the most to the Bay. At this point we are staying. I don't understand locals leaving on Monday when the storm won't hit till Friday. The forecast could easily change. That's life on a sandbar.

Incredible waves today. Surfers paradise. I have a sprained back from a lesser storm but was blown away by the beauty and the waves at the beach tonight.

The County next to ours banned all alcohol sales from tomorrow till the storm passes which will be this weekend. That's interesting ?

Yeah, inland rainfall will be a real threat and general flooding could extend across a massive area... which is partly why getting out early could be good. Disruptions to food, water, fuel etc aren't going to be resolved any time soon afterwards.

Banning booze? That's cruel :lol: maybe a worry is people heading out to get that action shot under the influence?
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Old Man by the Sea wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
Stay safe.
Thanks.

The Virginia Governor has given mandatory evacuation for 250,000 people. I have no idea how you evacuate 250,000 people.
Start by changing your user name? ('Old Man in the Mountains' is still free)

Stay safe out there.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

It is always smart to err on the side of safety.

All the best.
Old Man by the Sea

guy smiley wrote:
Old Man by the Sea wrote:The coast many times makes out better then inland. Inland areas have rivers and creeks that overflow. I'm maybe 2 miles from ocean and then a mile at the most to the Bay. At this point we are staying. I don't understand locals leaving on Monday when the storm won't hit till Friday. The forecast could easily change. That's life on a sandbar.

Yeah, inland rainfall will be a real threat and general flooding could extend across a massive area... which is partly why getting out early could be good. Disruptions to food, water, fuel etc aren't going to be resolved any time soon afterwards.

Banning booze? That's cruel :lol: maybe a worry is people heading out to get that action shot under the influence?
Not sure why they ban booze. Maybe the authorities have more then enough traffic and don't want drunks on road ?
A good drunk is never going to stand for a ban like that. My wife said people were hauling booze out in cart loads today from the grocery store before ban takes affect tomorrow.
Old Man by the Sea

Kiwias wrote:It is always smart to err on the side of safety.

All the best.
Cheers dude !
I'm sure you Kiwi's get these storms as well. Incredible to experience life on the beach.
I hope you are well.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

All the best.
Cheers dude !
I'm sure you Kiwi's get these storms as well. Incredible to experience life on the beach.
I hope you are well.
We live about 2km from the beach and watching the 6~10m swells when a typhoon hits is pretty spectacular.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Well that looks like a bundle of fun.

Stay safe out in the east.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jebus, they're lining up! :shock:

This enhanced satellite image provided by NOAA shows Hurricane Florence, third from right, in the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018. At right is Tropical Storm Helene, and second from right is Tropical Storm Isaac.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Kiwias wrote:

All the best.
Cheers dude !
I hope you are well.
We live about 2km from the beach and watching the 6~10m swells when a typhoon hits is pretty spectacular.
:lol:

I think there's some misreading going on here.

Kiwias lives in Japan, which does experience a few typhoons.

Kiwis live in NZ which is pretty well out of the cyclone ( SH name for hurricane / typhoon) latitude range.

To add to the confusion, I'm a Kiwi living in Western Australia which usually sees a handful of cyclones threaten the coast to our north every year. I worked in the centre of the state 1000km from the coast so never really saw the full fury of a strom close up, but we did have a monster hit a few years back which totally screwed things 1000km inland, for weeks.

I do hope this helps you decide to be an Old Man Far Away From the Sea when this thing hits :thumbup:
Old Man by the Sea

guy smiley wrote:
Kiwias wrote:

All the best.
Cheers dude !
I hope you are well.

I think there's some misreading going on here.

Kiwias lives in Japan, which does experience a few typhoons.

Kiwis live in NZ which is pretty well out of the cyclone ( SH name for hurricane / typhoon) latitude range.

To add to the confusion, I'm a Kiwi living in Western Australia which usually sees a handful of cyclones threaten the coast to our north every year. I worked in the centre of the state 1000km from the coast so never really saw the full fury of a strom close up, but we did have a monster hit a few years back which totally screwed things 1000km inland, for weeks.

I do hope this helps you decide to be an Old Man Far Away From the Sea when this thing hits :thumbup:
Kiwias is from NZ if I remember right ?
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

kiwinoz wrote:
Stay safe.
Thanks.

Put laxatives in the water supply?
Farva

Post by Farva »

Ted. wrote:Jebus, they're lining up! :shock:

This enhanced satellite image provided by NOAA shows Hurricane Florence, third from right, in the Atlantic Ocean on Sunday, Sept. 9, 2018. At right is Tropical Storm Helene, and second from right is Tropical Storm Isaac.
Couple this side of the pacific too. Japan just got smashed, another is just floating through between japan and the Philippjnes, and a super typhoon is due here on Thursday.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Farva wrote:

Couple this side of the pacific too. Japan just got smashed, another is just floating through between japan and the Philippjnes, and a super typhoon is due here on Thursday.
I was in the Phillipines when a whopper of a typhoon hit in 2006*. Manila was a truly frightening place in the following days.

*just looked it up and apparently it was called Typhoon Xangsane :thumbup:
Farva

Post by Farva »

ZappaMan wrote:
Farva wrote:

I was in the Phillipines when a whopper of a typhoon hit in 2006*. Manila was a truly frightening place in the following days.

*just looked it up and apparently it was called Typhoon Xangsane :thumbup:
We had a bunch of people down in Tacloban when Yolanda hit in 2013. 300kph plus winds and 10000s dead. Country manager managed to get most out before it hit by helicopter but a few didnt. They were OK but we didnt know until after. And when they called on the satellite phone apparently there were bodies everywhere.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

You're afraid of a storm called Florence? Pussies. :lol:
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

Sandstorm wrote:You're afraid of a storm called Florence? Pussies. :lol:
Depends if it's referencing Nightingale or the Medicis :thumbup:
Old Man by the Sea

happyhooker wrote:
kiwinoz wrote:
Stay safe.
Thanks.

Put laxatives in the water supply?
Wouldn't that make people stay and be stuck close to bathroom ?
Nothing worse then being in a traffic jam and nature calls.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... ,29.20,452

Starting to enter very warm water and not an ounce of wind sheer.

Perfect conditions for tropical explosive development.

This will be a cat 5 by landfall and models have it stalling over North Carolina.

Never mind the storm surge which will be very bad, the flooding inland will be catastrophic.

Had that High pressure not strengthened 2 days ago, this would have spunned back out to sea around Bermuda.
Smee

Post by Smee »

Best of luck to you OMBTS.... wifes cousin is in Wilmington so hoping for the best.
tabascoboy

Post by tabascoboy »

Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

Good luck OMBTS - the alcohol ban is not such a bad idea, these are very changeable situations, keep you wits about you, monitor developments, have a plan and stick to it. Things can change or go wrong very quickly. You can do plenty of drinking when it's over. :nod:
backrow

Post by backrow »

looks like a big pink Snail heading NE :lol:
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

backrow wrote:looks like a big pink Snail heading NE :lol:
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Surely it's heading NW?
Last edited by Nolanator on Tue Sep 11, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tabascoboy

Post by tabascoboy »

Brian?!

Snooze

Post by Snooze »

Except it's heading NW. :P :lol: :lol:

Oops, too late. :blush:
Biffer29

Post by Biffer29 »

ZappaMan wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:You're afraid of a storm called Florence? Pussies. :lol:
Depends if it's referencing Nightingale or the Medicis :thumbup:
Magic Roundabout.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Went through Irma in Orlando last year and hardly as a Cat 1-2 I think when it finally got to us and that was pretty impressive...can't imagine what a Cat 4/5 would be and do.

Pretty safe from these in South Georgia now.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

saffer13 wrote:Went through Irma in Orlando last year and hardly as a Cat 1-2 I think when it finally got to us and that was pretty impressive...can't imagine what a Cat 4/5 would be and do.

Once it hits land it degrades rapidly as it loses its source of energy.

The winds will drop but then the real problems begin where the system slows down and drops an incredible amount of rain.

I'm thinking of another Houston in this scenario.
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

iarmhiman wrote:
saffer13 wrote:Went through Irma in Orlando last year and hardly as a Cat 1-2 I think when it finally got to us and that was pretty impressive...can't imagine what a Cat 4/5 would be and do.

Once it hits land it degrades rapidly as it loses its source of energy.

The winds will drop but then the real problems begin where the system slows down and drops an incredible amount of rain.

Yes. They were initially saying it would arrive still as a Cat 3 in Orlando...glad that didn't happen.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

iarmhiman wrote:
That's a very real threat, yeah?
Olo

Post by Olo »

Its going to pass to the north of us tonight/tomorrow AM. Has been epic surf for the last few days and will continue for the next 4-5.
Looks pretty ugly for the Carolinas.

Be safe Old Man. A storm this strength is nothing to take lightly, particularly in a heavily populated area. If you are in the evac area then batten down and get out. The water is particularly warm for this time of the year and it could easily strengthen a lot more before landfall.
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Guess where my mums gone on holiday!!!
saffer13

Post by saffer13 »

Old Man, if you end up leaving a need a place, I don't have a no alcohol policy in place at my house so you're welcome to join. We can watch the Boks get reamed by the ABs.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Paris?