9/11 where were you?

All things Rugby
Fangle

Re: 9/11 where were you?

Post by Fangle »

At work on the 22nd floor of a 33 storey building, and Sammy posted it here. After the second plane, our building was closed and all sent home.
DraadkarD

Post by DraadkarD »

Beaver_Shark wrote:Grade 10 at school. It was towards the end of the school day and some kid shouted that WW3 had started.

None of us had any idea what it was about until we got to hostel and everybody was watching CNN.
Was also in Grade 10. Was at extra math class at school, when one of the guys in class he heard on radio that a plane flew into a building in New York. Saw the second tower tumble live on CNN when I got home. :((
backrow

Post by backrow »

what do we think the next Islamic terrorist act will be ?
planes haven't been tried again, cars and lorries seems to have tailed off, so have guns - all I hear now of are stabby stabby stuff like in Paris earlier this week. Are Isis running out of money and resources ?

I think the next attack will be in a shopping centre, probably around 4pm on a Friday when the kids are out from school - most centres that I know it would be very easy to walk in with a backpack full of evil and do a suicide bomb.
Caley_Red

Post by Caley_Red »

Winnie wrote:Hard to think this was 17 years ago

I’d just gone on lunch was working out at the Gyle in Edinburgh
Everyone was in reception watching the tv
The gasp as the second plane hit was incredible
Not a lot of work was done that day
Good God, you must have been hoping it was coming for the Gyle: Most depressing place I've ever worked. 5 aside pitches were awesome though :thumbup:

I was at secondary school, watched it on the library computers . I actually remember Dunblane a lot more vividly as that wasn't far away and we were all sent home early. Only time I remember the TV news being permitted at the dinner table by my parents.
sewa

Post by sewa »

backrow wrote:what do we think the next Islamic terrorist act will be ?
planes haven't been tried again, cars and lorries seems to have tailed off, so have guns - all I hear now of are stabby stabby stuff like in Paris earlier this week. Are Isis running out of money and resources ?

I think the next attack will be in a shopping centre, probably around 4pm on a Friday when the kids are out from school - most centres that I know it would be very easy to walk in with a backpack full of evil and do a suicide bomb.
Thats some pretty unpleasant threadjacking
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Sandstorm wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:In a car at Washington Square having just finished a breakfast meeting and about to make my way back to the office in the South tower......
Holy moly - a fortunate stroke of serendipity.
The drama was only beginning......2 of my kids were in junior school on Vesey Street, 2 blocks from ground zero.
Globus? If Die Hard 3 has taught us anything, there are no schools in the Financial District.
You know Die Hard 3 was a movie, right !
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

I was in the C&B on Masons Ave EC2V

We were having a long lunch and celebrating a deal closing.

We sat stunned and silent, except for the gasps of horror and some people crying, before heading home.

Never Forget.
boringperson12

Post by boringperson12 »

Working in Belfast, some girls came in to the office and said about planes flying into buildings. Didn't really listen to them as they were usually full of crap. It was only on the way home listening to the radio that I realised how big it actually was.
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

sewa wrote:

"Pretty unpleasant" is a flattering summary of the swivel eyed racist persona that Yeeb likes to tout as edgy.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Last year?

On a thread just like this. Same as the year before and the year before that, having given up and resigned myself to the inevitable distortion of 11/9 again.
Old Man by the Sea

Post by Old Man by the Sea »

I was thirty minutes outside of DC at home. We went and got our son from kindergarten and wondered what in the hell was going on.
We knew tons of people at the pentagon and were quite concerned. I still can't watch those planes hitting the tower. It was a f**ked up time.
DOB

Post by DOB »

I was in the Woolshed in Cairns, trying to stretch my meager backpacking budget to enough to get drunk off of, when someone came to our group and said “some Yugoslavs have flown a fighter jet into the Empire State Building.”

When we got back to our hostel the night manager wouldn’t let us turn on the tv that late at night, so it took a while in the pre-smartphone days to get news about what had happened.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

DOB wrote:I was in the Woolshed in Cairns, trying to stretch my meager backpacking budget to enough to get drunk off of, when someone came to our group and said “some Yugoslavs have flown a fighter jet into the Empire State Building.”

When we got back to our hostel the night manager wouldn’t let us turn on the tv that late at night, so it took a while in the pre-smartphone days to get news about what had happened.
I won a goldfish race in the Woolshed :thumbup:

One of my proudest moments.
Bloutoria

Post by Bloutoria »

LOL We have a World Trade Centre in Kempton Park South Africa, that was stormed by the right wing during Kodesa. When I heard the news, I thought they were making a come-back.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Old Man by the Sea wrote: I still can't watch those planes hitting the tower.
At the risk of joining Yeeb in the doghouse and baiting Conspiracy DAC out of retirement, you have to give Al Queda props for pulling off the whole damn thing.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Sandstorm wrote:
Old Man by the Sea wrote: I still can't watch those planes hitting the tower.
At the risk of joining Yeeb in the doghouse and baiting Conspiracy DAC out of retirement, you have to give Al Queda props for pulling off the whole damn thing.
Kind of puts the Iriah terrorists to shame dont they.

Anyway, at home and sae it on TV when I got up in the morning. And then heard more about it at uni that day.
etherman

Post by etherman »

In a house in the university area of Belfast, watched the second plane crash as we were still trying to work out waht had happened with the first. Had to go into the politics department of queens for lunchtime, and the first lecturer I met I said "awful about new york" and he hadn't a clue what I was talking about, nor did anyone in the department. Within a few minutes there were 20 staff and students gathered around a tv in one of the lecturers offices just in time for the collapse. Insane altogether.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

On a container ship going into Hong Kong Harbour - found out via Telex.

No shore leave, saw it on TV for the first time when we got to Shanghai a few days later.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Azlan Roar wrote:
sewa wrote:

"Pretty unpleasant" is a flattering summary of the swivel eyed racist persona that Yeeb likes to tout as edgy.
wtf
hey petals, the whole event was fairly unpleasant, didn't realise a question about what attack could be next would upset you so. nothing I've written there is racist ffs - unless you are denying these attacks were from isis or that some of the attacks have targeted children ?

anyways, stay safe, snowflakes :thumbup:
Bullettyme

Post by Bullettyme »

I was in school, don't think we heard anything about it until I got home and my sister and mother were both in tears in front of the TV. Don't think we turned off the TV for days after that.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

TSG - fcuk me... dodged a bullet there..

I was on a project call with US - in the city calling with our office in TimesSq. The told us when the first plane hit - we continued the meeting until plane 2 hit. One of the ladies in UK teams brother worked in the Towers - he was fine but it took 36 hours to hear from him or so.

Watched it all on beeb - they cleared or shut down carnary wharf at one point - i think we went home after that...
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

In my office, with the management team, hacking through some budget/forecasting shite, and a do not disturb in place so none of the staff told us about the first plane.

Our place was essentially a national distribution centre. Big warehouse. Warehouse Mgr shoves his head around the door, looking grim and I was about to ate him for disturbing us when he says "the second tower is after collapsing, God knows how many dead".

Knowing SFA about the first, I immediately thought he meant a tower in our own warehouse. I nearly shat myself.

Cue huddling around the small TV our IT Manager had set up in his office. We actually sent everyone home just after lunch if I recall. Edict from global HO.

Budgets. Fcuk 'em...
Brazil

Post by Brazil »

Traveling back from a holiday in Crete with my girlfriend. I set off the metal detector at Iraklion airport and expected the rubber glove treatment, but the security guard was too busy trying to touch up a female tourist to bother.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

I'd just started as an intern at a very large commercial aircraft company.

That was a very sombre afternoon in the industry
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

Closing on the end of the workday at the lab. Then the news started popping, like "airplane crashes into WTC" and my friend and I laugh it off as an idiot that tried and failed to do what all of us used to do in Flight Simulator on the PC: flying a Cessna between the two towers. Then suddenly the updates come up, and wow... We went home not long after and sat at another friend's home, unable to stop staring at the telly for a few hours.
backrow

Post by backrow »

blindcider wrote:I'd just started as an intern at a very large commercial aircraft company.

you've posted about Bristol before, so presume you were Filton way ?
backrow

Post by backrow »

Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:Closing on the end of the workday at the lab. Then the news started popping, like "airplane crashes into WTC" and my friend and I laugh it off as an idiot that tried and failed to do what all of us used to do in Flight Simulator on the PC: flying a Cessna between the two towers. Then suddenly the updates come up, and wow... We went home not long after and sat at another friend's home, unable to stop staring at the telly for a few hours.
there was / is a PC Games magazine called 'PC Format' - a year or so before the attacks they reviewed the latest flight sim, and the full page picture (maybe even their cover, I can't recall exactly) was of a large commercial jet heading into the twin towers... with hindsight its very :uhoh:

can't find the exact pic, but was like a closer version of the first main pic on this link

http://www.proaerobusiness.com/flight_simulations.htm

old game advert

Last edited by backrow on Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rossco

Post by Rossco »

BokJock wrote:On a container ship going into Hong Kong Harbour - found out via Telex.

No shore leave, saw it on TV for the first time when we got to Shanghai a few days later.
I was on a tanker in the North Sea, remember being with the rest of the bridge team staring dumbfounded at the fax containing the image of the smoking tower that the company had sent out.
blindcider

Post by blindcider »

backrow wrote:
blindcider wrote:I'd just started as an intern at a very large commercial aircraft company.

you've posted about Bristol before, so presume you were Filton way ?
indeed, several friends got laid off from their placements at airlines so I was lucky really.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

EverReady wrote:I was on this college course and we were on a break in the pub when the second plane hit. Trying to impress all the new birds I had met I announced with total authority 'that is a Cesna' and then proceeded to explain what a Cesna was to their small feeble minds. I found the break the next day mildly uncomfortable as they laughed in my face
My colleagues girlfriend was in Manhatten and texted him in London after the first place hit: "Check out CNN, a Cessna has just flown into World Trade Centre"

We turned on the TV in the boardroom and about 60 seconds later second plane hit the Tower. Also not a Cessna.... :)
backrow

Post by backrow »

:lol:

also not a Cessna :thumbup:
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

The Sun God wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:In a car at Washington Square having just finished a breakfast meeting and about to make my way back to the office in the South tower......
The drama was only beginning......2 of my kids were in junior school on Vesey Street, 2 blocks from ground zero.
Jesus TSG that must have been a dreadful morning
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

EverReady wrote:God I looked like a thick. I am not saying my predicament was as bad as the people on those planes but it was certainly as bad as say MH370
:lol:
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

I was browsing in a sports store before my uni class. They had the radio on and the voice sounded vaguely like Howard Stern. I thought to myself that his 'edgy' humour had gone too far this time. I took in a bit more info - and seem to recall it was around the time the second plane hit - and realised this wasn't some radio drama, shock jock or, as the initial assumption was, an accident.

I went to class, and I think everyone was there as we were in a attendance-mandatory teacher training program. Some thought we should be let go, but I was with the prof who thought it best to get some work done. She let anyone go who wanted to, and fair enough if someone had a loved one(s) they were worried about, but being in Canada, and with the news being incredibly foggy at the time, what would be the point?
Toulon's Not Toulouse

Post by Toulon's Not Toulouse »

backrow wrote:
Toulon's Not Toulouse wrote:Closing on the end of the workday at the lab. Then the news started popping, like "airplane crashes into WTC" and my friend and I laugh it off as an idiot that tried and failed to do what all of us used to do in Flight Simulator on the PC: flying a Cessna between the two towers. Then suddenly the updates come up, and wow... We went home not long after and sat at another friend's home, unable to stop staring at the telly for a few hours.
there was / is a PC Games magazine called 'PC Format' - a year or so before the attacks they reviewed the latest flight sim, and the full page picture (maybe even their cover, I can't recall exactly) was of a large commercial jet heading into the twin towers... with hindsight its very :uhoh:

can't find the exact pic, but was like a closer version of the first main pic on this link

http://www.proaerobusiness.com/flight_simulations.htm

old game advert

Yup. Thing is, flight simulators used to be very bare bones scenery wise. If I go back to Flight Simulator 2 on my Apple //c, there was barely anything apart from the runways. So the little that was in was even more noticeable, and it was a few landmarks such as Big Ben, the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, the WTC and a few others. With the twin towers in such close proximity, they were the one obstacle everyone played with at some point, becoming a kind of tradition that stuck through all the later versions of the game (well, until 2001). It's not surprising they made an ad out of it then.
mikerob

Post by mikerob »

I was giving a presentation at work. Someone got a text and walked out, then another person, and another person. I was getting increasingly hacked off as I'd put a lot of work into preparing it... Then one of the people came back into the room again and said "you aren't going to believe what's happening..." That was that for the rest of the day - the entire office watched the TVs in reception.
slick

Post by slick »

One of my best mates was living in NYC at the time but we soon found out he was OK and out of the area in a meeting.

5 years later, in a pub,, he mentioned that his apartment had been destroyed when the towers came down. Just didn't want to talk about it previously.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Winnie wrote:
The Sun God wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
Jesus TSG that must have been a dreadful morning
It's funny how Adrenalin and fight or flight kicks in........ Had the kids not been in school, I would have stayed were I was at the first impact but the natural reaction is to get to them no matter what.... I got a ride with a cop as far as Warren street and ran the last few blocks just as flight 175 hit the South tower....So yes sir, pretty dreadful morning.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

I was on my way into start the late shift at the tobacco factory in Mullingar on holiday work.

2fm was on and Gareth O'Callaghan cut from a piece of music and said a plane had crashed into one of the towers of the world trade centre.

I go to work, then come back for 10 minute tea break, to find the other one was hit as well, and that terrorists were behind it.

Didn't see the towers coming down until later when I got home.

A surreal day and one I'll never forget and will always remember where I was when Gareth mentioned that 1st plane hitting the tower.
Spyglass

Post by Spyglass »

In the Houston office watching it on TV in utter disbelief.

That afternoon I was supposed to be going to the airport to collect my parents who were coming out from the UK for a visit. US airspace was immediately shutdown, so their flight, together with several dozen other transatlantic flights were diverted to Halifax, NS., which is a pretty small airport/town and not geared up for that kind of influx of planes or people. They were literally pushing planes off the runway onto any hard standing to make room for more planes to land. The people of Halifax were fantastic and opened up their homes to all of the stranded passengers. It was three days before US airspace was re-opened and people could continue their journey. When I went to Houston airport to collect my parents it was empty and the security was unreal with troops and cops everywhere.