Hard to think this was 17 years ago

I’d just gone on lunch was working out at the Gyle in Edinburgh
Everyone was in reception watching the tv
The gasp as the second plane hit was incredible
Not a lot of work was done that day
CM11

Re: 9/11 where were you?

Post by CM11 »

On holidays. Going out for dinner that evening was surreal. Most muted I've ever heard a restaurant. The Americans in attendance getting plenty of sympathy.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Winnie wrote:Hard to think this was 17 years ago

I’d just gone on lunch was working out at the Gyle in Edinburgh
Everyone was in reception watching the tv
The gasp as the second plane hit was incredible
Not a lot of work was done that day
Sat at work, in a ceramics factory, when it was on the radio, first plane, second plane, at that point I remember thinking to myself next up will be the whitehouse or the pentagon.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

In an office in farringdon.

Watched it all unfold for about an hour, then everyone, without any authorisation or discussion, left the office.
slick

Post by slick »

Mossel Bay, at my aunts house.

Was horrific to watch but it did manage to move her away from calling blacks plum to Muslims for a couple of days, so swings and roundabouts.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

Golf course with clients. One of whom had a fiancé in lower Manhattan that day.
sewa

Post by sewa »

At work, my new boss starting getting phone calls during the meeting. He and his wife were not long after moving and one of them had worked in the trade centre. Some confusing mess of a weekend
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

sewa wrote:At work, my new boss starting getting phone calls during the meeting. He and his wife were not long after moving and one of them had worked in the trade centre. Some confusing mess of a weekend
Huh? It was a Tuesday?
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Sitting at home after dinner, glanced at BBC and tried to call a former colleague from Tokyo days who had since transferred to NY and was working a couple of blocks away, to I had chatted the previous day about his next trip to Japan and perhaps meeting for dinner.
sewa

Post by sewa »

happyhooker wrote:
sewa wrote:At work, my new boss starting getting phone calls during the meeting. He and his wife were not long after moving and one of them had worked in the trade centre. Some confusing mess of a weekend
Huh? It was a Tuesday?
I meant to say week
slick

Post by slick »

sewa wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Huh? It was a Tuesday?
I meant to say week
You are no better than Globus
Poshprop

Post by Poshprop »

I was off work with a cold. Was dozing on the sofa with the tv on and then went to make some soup. Came back as the 2nd plane crashed and actually thought it was some daytime disaster movie. Just couldnt belive it when I realised it was the news. Knew things were going to be getting a lot worse there and then.
anonymous_joe

Post by anonymous_joe »

English class after PE.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

slick wrote:
sewa wrote:
happyhooker wrote:
Huh? It was a Tuesday?
I meant to say week
You are no better than Globus
Ha!!!!
Dryden

Post by Dryden »

ladder to heaven
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

:shock:
Why do you want to know where I was? I had nothing to do with it, honest.
(In work)
backrow

Post by backrow »

I must have been one of the last in the western world to know about this. I worked on floor 48 of 1 Canada sq at the time, so normally would have been very on the ball on this, especially as we had brokers in the towers - however on that date I was in Magaluf partying to about 5am, quite off my tits.

we roused ourselves around 2-3pm to go for our usual Hair of the dog, pint of Coke and a fry up whilst watching Football or Only fools and horses - and encountered this surreal situation of crowds round TV's with titles saying "100k feared dead."

was so hungover, it took me several minutes to sink in to be honest, remarkable that was only 3-4k deaths in the end in the attacks. kind of put a dampner on my hols, and my brother got upset later on that night when in the nightclub they started playing Sinatra's New York, New York over and over, he went and had words, and we all ended up being asked to leave :|
slick

Post by slick »

my brother
There's two of you FFS?
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

In the office, same company as where I still work.
fishfoodie

Post by fishfoodie »

happyhooker wrote:In an office in farringdon.

Watched it all unfold for about an hour, then everyone, without any authorisation or discussion, left the office.
I was the same. Just left the office numb, & thanking the almighty that my brother had changed jobs & wasn't working in his old place, a couple of hundred yards from ground zero. It was a couple of days later I found out we'd lost a 2nd cousin who was in tower 1.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

backrow wrote:I must have been one of the last in the western world to know about this. I worked on floor 48 of 1 Canada sq at the time, so normally would have been very on the ball on this, especially as we had brokers in the towers - however on that date I was in Magaluf partying to about 5am, quite off my tits.

we roused ourselves around 2-3pm to go for our usual Hair of the dog, pint of Coke and a fry up whilst watching Football or Only fools and horses - and encountered this surreal situation of crowds round TV's with titles saying "100k feared dead."

was so hungover, it took me several minutes to sink in to be honest, remarkable that was only 3-4k deaths in the end in the attacks. kind of put a dampner on my hols, and my brother got upset later on that night when in the nightclub they started playing Sinatra's New York, New York over and over, he went and had words, and we all ended up being asked to leave :|
Can't think why Brits have a bad rep on holiday in Europe....
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Just started work in a gym in the old Esporta in Finchley Road, early afternoon I think. There was a giant TV screen in the bar and lounge area, it had a bulilding on fire. At first I just thought one of the WTC towers had caught fire and wondered what had happened. Then the 2nd plane hit. We had a fair few rich American members, they were horrified and in tears, a few had friends, no one knew what was happening and how far reaching it was. And then the buildings collapsed. I don't think I experienced a day like it outside of family illness news.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

slick wrote:
my brother
There's two of you FFS?
:lol:
backrow

Post by backrow »

Sandstorm wrote:
backrow wrote:I must have been one of the last in the western world to know about this. I worked on floor 48 of 1 Canada sq at the time, so normally would have been very on the ball on this, especially as we had brokers in the towers - however on that date I was in Magaluf partying to about 5am, quite off my tits.

Can't think why Brits have a bad rep on holiday in Europe....

none of us were drunk that night, my bro was just a bit verbal at the DJ's choice of music. we got binned, but not forcefully, some Geordie behemoth bouncer just said "ok lads, time to go" and off we went. Brits in magaluf for the rest of those hols were pretty well behaved actually, most people had a slight curb to their boisterous enthusiasm for a few days at least.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

In a car at Washington Square having just finished a breakfast meeting and about to make my way back to the office in the South tower......
C69

Post by C69 »

I vividly remember it as I was working on Intensive Care at the time.
Utterly surreal watching it unfold live.
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

Sleeping in bed, alone unfortunately.
TB63

Post by TB63 »

Changing a fuseboard for a friend, as I turned the power back on he turned tv on, then said "a planes just hit the Trade Towers", I asked him for the punchline as thought it was a joke, just sat and watched it unfold, pub was very subdued that night..
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

I had just returned from a summer in Chicago and was out fishing in west Kerry. Only found out many hours later when we went to a pub for a pint.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Donald's tweet on the matter!!

17 years since September 11th!
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

The Sun God wrote:In a car at Washington Square having just finished a breakfast meeting and about to make my way back to the office in the South tower......
Holy moly - a fortunate stroke of serendipity.
Beaver_Shark

Post by Beaver_Shark »

Grade 10 at school. It was towards the end of the school day and some kid shouted that WW3 had started.

None of us had any idea what it was about until we got to hostel and everybody was watching CNN.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

At home recovering from a spinal operation. Saw the TV, buildings burning, thought it was a modern movie in bad taste.
(Used to play FS2, some of the scenes were "familiar")
Last edited by Wilson's Toffee on Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GWO2

Post by GWO2 »

GWO2 wrote::shock:
Why do you want to know where I was? I had nothing to do with it, honest.
(In work)
I was in work with the radio on when it was announced that a plane had crashed into one of the towers, as soon as they announced the second crash a little later, it was obviously a terrorist attack
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

In the Middle East, had an international flight to catch the next day. The airport/ security/flight was utterly surreal.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

At home. A friend phoned me up and said it seemed like a plane had been flown into one of the towers so I turned the TV on and not long after saw the second plane hit. I watched the news for around 48 hours non-stop but for a few hours kip on the sofa.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

ZappaMan wrote:
The Sun God wrote:In a car at Washington Square having just finished a breakfast meeting and about to make my way back to the office in the South tower......
The drama was only beginning......2 of my kids were in junior school on Vesey Street, 2 blocks from ground zero.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

ZappaMan wrote:
Luckier than the bloke who told his wife he was going into the South Tower early for a meeting, then went to his girlfriend's flat in Midtown for a shag instead. About 4 hours later he picked up his phone to see about 50 frantic voice messages from his wife who though he was dead......
Uncle Fester

Post by Uncle Fester »

Computer lab in college.
A classmate was in NY that day and did first aid.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

The Sun God wrote:
ZappaMan wrote:
The drama was only beginning......2 of my kids were in junior school on Vesey Street, 2 blocks from ground zero.
Globus? If Die Hard 3 has taught us anything, there are no schools in the Financial District.