Sushi

All things Rugby
alliswell

Re: Sushi

Post by alliswell »

You don't eat stuff because it's fashionable, you eat it because it tastes nice. It may just be that some people have different tastes. I once worked with a chap who insisted that people only ate fish to seem fashionable. That's all fish. Totally mental.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

feckwanker wrote:Whether it kills them or not is irrelevant. The length of some of the worms I've seen in fillets is pretty shocking. It's the idea of eating those x(
You see, this is why I only eat peas.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Ah, forgot to mention I caught guardia in SA, I suspect from sushi - which basically means I ate some shit as it’s transmitted from poo and bad hygiene into food.

Bugs and worms in food don’t really bother me tbh, just get some pills to sort yourself out , and all that shitting will help shift a few kilos.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

I don't know why. Someone like DeadDuck could probably explain it.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Sandstorm wrote:
Flametop wrote:
fatcat wrote:It's over-rated for sure.
Meh, it’s not over rated, but it is over priced.
You pay for the labour, not the parts
If you want a decent bit of Tuna, you definitely pay tot he parts as well. Toro costs money.

There's a good Japanese supermarket near me and I get sushi there occasionally. They don't skimp on the fish and make it fresh.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

dinsdale wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Flametop wrote:
If you want a decent bit of Tuna, you definitely pay tot he parts as well. Toro costs money.

There's a good Japanese supermarket near me and I get sushi there occasionally. They don't skimp on the fish and make it fresh.
Unless they are getting the fish off day boats, the fish they are making that sushi with is anything from frozen to 'fresh' (i.e. not frozen but up to two weeks sitting on ice). Always buy fish off day boats (those that go out in the morning, back in the evening) if you can - better quality of fish and supporting local, small scale fisheries :thumbup:
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

I absolutely love me some sushi. It's the tangy vinegar rice and umami soy with the fish. Luckily, I've moved to a place where there are 5/6 sushi places within a 1 mile radius of my work. They also have a similar density of Thai restaurants, and I hate Thai...but you can't have everything.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

It's okay.

Much prefer Dim Sum.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Winnie wrote:
Bullettyme wrote:Some of it is very tasty. Others I can take or leave it. Salmon roses are my favourite, and I can't find anywhere where they serve them here in Dublin.

Poke is another fad thing I've noticed. My mate was raving about it and I went for a bowl, it's basically unwrapped sushi salad and rice. It's nice, but it's not fantastic.
Properly made Poke is delicious
We had Poke from a local fish market in Hilo. I was like the food inspector in the Ratatouille movie.

It was fantastic. Very fresh fish, but with long enough in the marinade to have infused all the flavors.

Hungry now.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

ZappaMan wrote:
feckwanker wrote:Whether it kills them or not is irrelevant. The length of some of the worms I've seen in fillets is pretty shocking. It's the idea of eating those x(
You see, this is why I only eat peas.
I have some bad news for you about where the protein content of your peas comes from.
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

Chilli wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:What's wrong with some smoked salmon and a nice buttery piece of brown bread?
This, with a bit of horseradish.
Agreed. I'd take smoked fish over sushi any day. British Columbia opened my eyes to this and many flavours of.
happyhooker

Post by happyhooker »

Nieghorn wrote:
Chilli wrote:
CarrotGawks wrote:What's wrong with some smoked salmon and a nice buttery piece of brown bread?
This, with a bit of horseradish.
Agreed. I'd take smoked fish over sushi any day. British Columbia opened my eyes to this and many flavours of.
Ah yes, that old adage

You haven't eaten until you've been to British Columbia
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

Seneca of the Night wrote:Sashimi for me.
I prefer, carpaccio. Some good tuna, olive oil, a squeeze of lemon, some sea salt and a few dried chilli flakes - bliss

But good sushi is wonderful - made to order in front of you from the best fish of the day :thumbup: , the pre made heavily refrigerated junk is just horrible
_fatprop

Post by _fatprop »

feckwanker wrote: Unless they are getting the fish off day boats, the fish they are making that sushi with is anything from frozen to 'fresh' (i.e. not frozen but up to two weeks sitting on ice). Always buy fish off day boats (those that go out in the morning, back in the evening) if you can - better quality of fish and supporting local, small scale fisheries :thumbup:
Many sushi fish are actually aged in the better Japanese restaurants, they believe it enhances the flavour and texture

Korean sushi is always fresh
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Flametop wrote:
Sandstorm wrote:
Flametop wrote:
I get the whole over priced coffee thing if it’s made by a barrister, but what’s the reasoning behind sushi?
I prefer mine made by a solicitor. They are much more solicitous.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

_fatprop wrote:
feckwanker wrote: Unless they are getting the fish off day boats, the fish they are making that sushi with is anything from frozen to 'fresh' (i.e. not frozen but up to two weeks sitting on ice). Always buy fish off day boats (those that go out in the morning, back in the evening) if you can - better quality of fish and supporting local, small scale fisheries :thumbup:
Many sushi fish are actually aged in the better Japanese restaurants, they believe it enhances the flavour and texture

Korean sushi is always 'fresh'
Fixed.

'Fresh' fish is a bit of a scam - In the vast majority of cases, it's rarely fresh (i.e. caught that day).
Womack

Post by Womack »

You're all dickheads
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

I live on the coast in a city with a fishing port. The sushi restaurants we go to both serve only fish that they bought at the fish market that morning straight off the boats, which leave port in the evening and return in the morning.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Womack wrote:You're all dickheads
You should have a macro for that. Cannot recall a thread where it would not be apropos. :thumbup:
Vuaka

Post by Vuaka »

Mass produced sushi as sold in supermarkets and convenience stores will never have the same taste as sushi purchased in proper Japanese restaurants.

But then again, maybe it's you and your taste buds that are deficient.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Raw salmon sushi for me please.