All Blacks Head Coach post-2019 - It's Foster!

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

All Blacks Head Coach post-2019 - It's Foster!

Post by Ali's Choice »

Steve Hansen has committed to lead the All Blacks to the 2019 RWC. By that stage he will have been coaching the team for 16 years, 8 years as Head Coach and 8 years as an Assistant. But what's going to happen post-RWC? NZR engineered a seamless succession from Graham Henry to Steve Hansen, and the team barely missed a beat. But what happens next doesn't appear to be as straight-forward.

There are three options;

1. Steve Hansen stays; This would only happen, IMO, if we win the 2019 RWC. The All Blacks will be on top of the world and Steve Hansen would be completely justified in wanting to hang around for another four year term. He'd be the first coach to win back-to-back RWC titles, and at just 60 years of age he'd be able to comfortably target the 2023 RWC tournament. After coaching the All Blacks for 16 years, coaching any other team would be a massive demotion. And given he's on reportedly over $1 million a year from NZR, I doubt he'll get more money elsewhere, especially given that he only coaches for 12-15 games per season.

Upside: Continuity and consistency. If Steve Hansen wins the next RWC then he arguably goes down as our best ever Head Coach. By retaining Hansen, NZR would ensure that the successful culture that Hansen has presided over would continue into 2023.

Downside: Can Steve Hansen continue to reinvent himself and embrace fresh ideas? He'd have been in the All Black team environment for nearly two decades, and the worry would be that he may have become insulated and cut-off from the rest of the world. Rugby, and sport more generally, is constantly evolving and innovating and it's important that our Head Coach keeps abreast of new ideas and technology.

2. Ian Foster succeeds Hansen:
This is also probably only likely if we win the RWC next year. Foster would have been an Assistant Coach for two RWC victories, and despite many people having misgivings about his abilities as a head coach, he'd be able to make a compelling case for the Head Coach's job. He'd have certainly served a decent apprenticeship. Whilst Ian Foster was a dud with the Chiefs, he's been a successful Assistant Coach for many years now and with the right team around him I'm sure he could do a decent job. I think that NZR would favour this option because it would allow some new blood and ideas whilst still maintaining a very orderly and well-planned succession process.

Upside: Continuity of team systems and culture. Much of the All Blacks' success is built around the culture, and appointing Ian Foster would ensure that this culture is maintained moving into the next RWC cycle.

Downside: There are lots of questions around Ian Foster's ability as a coach. He was not successful at SR level and he may struggle to demand the respect of players and others.

3. A new coach is appointed from outside the current All Blacks setup; This only happens if we don't win the RWC in Japan. There are plenty of highly skilled and respected Kiwi coaches operating globally, and NZR would have no shortage highly credentialed applicants. Individuals such as Joe Schmidt, Warren Gatland, Dave Rennie, Scott Robertson, Rob Penney and Mark Hammett would all be in the running.

Upside: New blood and ideas are brought into the All Black environment. We'll be hurting after a RWC loss and some fresh faces could be just what the Dr ordered. It would also encourage NZ coaches that the All Black coaching pathway is not the 'closed shop' that it has been since 2003.

Downside:
A lack of continuity and potentially decline in the team culture. This era has been one of the most successful in All Black history, and the coaches have played a big part of this. A new coach would have to quickly learn about the culture of the All Black environment. One of the downsides to this option is that the current Assistants/selectors would all probably leave, meaning a huge loss of cultural capital.
obelixtim

Re: All Blacks Head Coach post-2019

Post by obelixtim »

Gatland and Hammett? That's a pisstake, however you view it.
odd144

Post by odd144 »

Hmmm whose been the worst coach in world over the past 12 years, give it to him...he will get the same results as Hansen...CATTLE CATTLE CATTLE.
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

interesting post, despite the obvious hammett bait

why would they go outside the setup if they don't win ? it didn't happen in 2007
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

I haven't checked the odds, but even a strong favourite like the ABS would likely be less than a 50:50 prospect.

Therefore a brand new coach is the highest probability.
I think we should do an experiment, and appoint a total failure (any of the last X Blues coaches) and settle the argument about the relative importance of coaches vs cattle once and for all.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

obelixtim wrote:Gatland and Hammett? That's a pisstake, however you view it.
Gatland has generally been successful everywhere he has coached. What's more he has almost always coached in difficult circumstances, having few resources then rivals, having to take a team at rock bottom or put together a team from nothing. He kicked started the Irish improvement for the 2000's, made Wasps a European giant with few resources and took Wales from a bad joke to multiple 6 Nation wins and making many players world class. He also leaves teams in better places from where he finds them and is adaptable to new ideas and tactics. Just think, he has a better CV then when Henry and Hansen entered the All Blacks camp.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

eldanielfire wrote:
Gatland has generally been successful everywhere he has coached. What's more he has almost always coached in difficult circumstances, having few resources then rivals, having to take a team at rock bottom or put together a team from nothing. He kicked started the Irish improvement for the 2000's, made Wasps a European giant with few resources and took Wales from a bad joke to multiple 6 Nation wins and making many players world class. He also leaves teams in better places from where he finds them and is adaptable to new ideas and tactics. Just think, he has a better CV then when Henry and Hansen entered the All Blacks camp.
Whilst I'd prefer someone else, there is no denying that Warren Gatland would be a genuine candidate if the AB's head coaching job were to come up to an open-merit application process.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

eldanielfire wrote:
Thats all good, but he might have put a few noses at NZRU out of joint.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

obelixtim wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

On that, I have no doubt. I doubt he'll get picked. I doubt anyone outside New Zealand will be picked for it.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

eldanielfire wrote:
He did a lot more with the Chiefs than Foster managed too
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

Not sure where Robbie Deans is at the moment, last I read he was in Japan, but he'd certainly have a pretty useful CV. I wouldn't be upset at all if his name was thrown in as a possibility if there was a genuine interview process.

I'm not sure Fozzie deserves the barbs he gets, his chiefs tenure was a long long way away now and he's had involvement with what are our better coaches locally for a long time, so must have grown hugely.

I still think it best anyone going into the role has some involvement coaching locally, within the last few years anyway. Just for the continuity of the NZ Rugby system which works and is proven to work.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The thing is, if Hansen does step down, and Ian Foster isn't promoted from within, we're effectively starting from scratch in terms of our coaching. We'd go into the 2020 season with a brand new coaching team with potentially zero international experience. That would be worrying. Unless we went for an experienced candidate like Schmidt or Gatland. International Rugby is a different beast to Super Rugby, and as talented as coaches like Rennie and Robertson are, I would be worried about throwing them into the test arena without any experience around them.

Steve Hansen is the master at creating an maintaining empires, and he's arranged things very nicely for Foster. The spanner in the works would be a poor showing that the 2019 RWC. If that happens, then all bets are off.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

eldanielfire wrote:
obelixtim wrote:
eldanielfire wrote:

On that, I have no doubt. I doubt he'll get picked. I doubt anyone outside New Zealand will be picked for it.
And that's really concerning. The All Blacks head coaching job has been a closed shop for 16 years. If you weren't part of the "inner-circle" back in 2003 then you haven't had a look in. It's a bit rich for NZR to effectively block the All Black coaching pathway for NZ coaches for nearly two decades and then demand that they stay in NZ and wait for an opportunity that will never arise.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

The pathway is via assistant coach. So the question is really who will be fozzies assistants?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilderbeast wrote:The pathway is via assistant coach. So the question is really who will be fozzies assistants?
Not if Hansen stays on or if we have a terrible RWC next year.

It's unlikely, but if we bow out in the QF in Japan, like we did back in 2007, then I suspect Foster's appointment to the Head Coach's job will be a very hard sell for NZR.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Wilderbeast wrote:The pathway is via assistant coach. So the question is really who will be fozzies assistants?
It hasn't always been that way and it's a relatively recent trend.

Trends were made to be broken.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote:

The problem with the policy of demanding All Black Assistants do at least an 8 year term as an apprentice before being in the running for the All Black Head Coach is that it is extremely unresponsive and means that the best performing coaches will invariably not be in the system. It's a great way to build an empire and keep the best jobs for the chosen few, but a terrible way to ensure that promotion is based on merit.

In saying that, as long as the All Blacks keep winning then the status quo will remain.
Toro

Post by Toro »

While Hansen took over the job after being assistant he had also been the head coach of an international team, Foster has no such experience and poor results as a head coach.

Given rugby works in cycles I think this would be the perfect chance for NZR to show a capacity to recognise how things can stagnate and look at the option of bringing in some fresh ideas. Foster doesn't have to be out of the picture, Hansen neither but I would like to see Schmidt or Rennie (personally) at the helm with Robertson as a potential assistant coach and future head coach.

I wouldn't like to see Gatland as the coach of NZ personally.

With Schmidt's management and assistants in Robertson and Rennie I think the All Blacks would be pretty f'n scary. Hansen and Foster can still be employed to help with the transition.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Toro wrote:While Hansen took over the job after being assistant he had also been the head coach of an international team, Foster has no such experience and poor results as a head coach.

Given rugby works in cycles I think this would be the perfect chance for NZR to show a capacity to recognise how things can stagnate and look at the option of bringing in some fresh ideas. Foster doesn't have to be out of the picture, Hansen neither but I would like to see Schmidt or Rennie (personally) at the helm with Robertson as a potential assistant coach and future head coach.

With Schmidt's management and assistants in Robertson and Rennie I think the All Blacks would be pretty f'n scary. Hansen and Foster can still be employed to help with the transition.
So you're suggesting that Hansen and Foster would be demoted by NZR, but would be prepared to hang around and train their replacements so they could get up to speed? Has such a scenario ever happened before in any organisation, sporting, business or otherwise?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

The problem with the policy of demanding All Black Assistants do at least an 8 year term as an apprentice before being in the running for the All Black Head Coach is that it is extremely unresponsive and means that the best performing coaches will invariably not be in the system. It's a great way to build an empire and keep the best jobs for the chosen few, but a terrible way to ensure that promotion is based on merit.

In saying that, as long as the All Blacks keep winning then the status quo will remain.
Show me this policy you refer to...

I suggest it's not a thing. An imagined article spawned by your distrust of Tew and all he stands for.

Graham Henry set up a structure of coaching that the then NZRU board were brave and happy enough to stick with after the disaster of 2007. We all know how it turned out with ultimate success in 2011 capping an incredible winning run.

Continuity was maintained through the appointment of both assistants after Henry left. It was a no brainer at the time with the successes of the team and the development of players feeding off each other inside an obvious culture of success.

I suggest that rather than being a policy, the appointment of Hansen with Wayne Smith assisting was a logical extension of the development within the All Blacks environment. This whole policy agenda you've been running in here for years isn't based in fact, it's a product of your desire to inflame the outrage glands of lesser posters, those vulnerable to influence and strange night time imaginings of sacked captains and domestic beer markets.

I don't know where the board might decide to go next time, anymore than anyone else in here. I don't even know who's on the board. I hope they're switched on though, to the rugby being played, the selections being made and the steady erosion of that culture of excellence that Henry established...

because this current set up, despite managing to get the wins on the board, don't present as polished and invincible as under Henry or the Wayne Smith years.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
guy smiley wrote:

Show me this policy you refer to...

I suggest it's not a thing. An imagined article spawned by your distrust of Tew and all he stands for.

Graham Henry set up a structure of coaching that the then NZRU board were brave and happy enough to stick with after the disaster of 2007. We all know how it turned out with ultimate success in 2011 capping an incredible winning run.

Continuity was maintained through the appointment of both assistants after Henry left. It was a no brainer at the time with the successes of the team and the development of players feeding off each other inside an obvious culture of success.

I suggest that rather than being a policy, the appointment of Hansen with Wayne Smith assisting was a logical extension of the development within the All Blacks environment. This whole policy agenda you've been running in here for years isn't based in fact, it's a product of your desire to inflame the outrage glands of lesser posters, those vulnerable to influence and strange night time imaginings of sacked captains and domestic beer markets.

I don't know where the board might decide to go next time, anymore than anyone else in here. I don't even know who's on the board. I hope they're switched on though, to the rugby being played, the selections being made and the steady erosion of that culture of excellence that Henry established...

because this current set up, despite managing to get the wins on the board, don't present as polished and invincible as under Henry or the Wayne Smith years.
It's an informal arrangement rather than a policy. It's worked since 2011 so NZR is justified in not changing things too much. For all the Kiwi chicken lickens running around declaring that the sky is falling down after our loss in Wellington, we're still back-to-back RWC winners.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

As an aside, if we win the next RWC I think that the most likely outcome is Hansen staying on. He's got a best job in the world, why would he retire? He's still a relatively young man and if we do win in Japan I am certain he'll want too try for a RWC coaching three-peat.
xhooker

Post by xhooker »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Toro wrote:While Hansen took over the job after being assistant he had also been the head coach of an international team, Foster has no such experience and poor results as a head coach.

So you're suggesting that Hansen and Foster would be demoted by NZR, but would be prepared to hang around and train their replacements so they could get up to speed? Has such a scenario ever happened before in any organisation, sporting, business or otherwise?

Yes
NZ Labour party Little for Ardern
Toro

Post by Toro »

Ali's Choice wrote:

No, I'm not suggesting that at all, it's obvious what the logical progression will be.

I'm stating what I would like to see happen to get some fresh ideas in and keep us ahead of the game while still involving those who have gotten us this far. I'd be quite happy to see Hansen stay on otherwise rather than hand everything over to Foster. NZ has produced some incredible coaches over the last decade and Foster isn't near the best of them as far as the position of head coach is concerned.

It doesn't really make sense that the best coaches go overseas and gain priceless experience as head coaches only see themselves at the back of the line behind lesser coaches who have stayed in NZ and gained assistant roles. Hansen didn't get the top job with only assistant experience under his belt remember, no bar has been set on that one. I don't think Foster is as automatic a choice as it would seem for the top job.

Win or lose the next RWC NZ needs to innovate and refresh.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

xhooker wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:

Yes
NZ Labour party Little for Ardern
Go f**k your own face!
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Long term I'd still like to see Dave Rennie in the set up. He did wonders for the Chiefs, very positive team culture, confidence among the team, versatility, on field leadership, and a team much greater than the sum of it's parts.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Turbogoat wrote:Long term I'd still like to see Dave Rennie in the set up. He did wonders for the Chiefs, very positive team culture, confidence among the team, versatility, on field leadership, and a team much greater than the sum of it's parts.
Yeah he'd potentially be a great option. I certainly rate him as a coach.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Turbogoat wrote:Long term I'd still like to see Dave Rennie in the set up. He did wonders for the Chiefs, very positive team culture, confidence among the team, versatility, on field leadership, and a team much greater than the sum of it's parts.
2019 will mark Scott Robertson's third year as Crusader coach -- too soon for a move into assistant coach of the ABs?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Kiwias wrote:
2019 will mark Scott Robertson's third year as Crusader coach -- too soon for a move into assistant coach of the ABs?
To assistant? Maybe, but I wouldn’t complain one bit.
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Ali's Choice wrote:As an aside, if we win the next RWC I think that the most likely outcome is Hansen staying on. He's got a best job in the world, why would he retire? He's still a relatively young man and if we do win in Japan I am certain he'll want too try for a RWC coaching three-peat.
He’d be tempted for sure. I think he might wait to see what way public opinion is swinging. He won’t stay if the country is against the idea.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:As an aside, if we win the next RWC I think that the most likely outcome is Hansen staying on. He's got a best job in the world, why would he retire? He's still a relatively young man and if we do win in Japan I am certain he'll want too try for a RWC coaching three-peat.
He’d be tempted for sure. I think he might wait to see what way public opinion is swinging. He won’t stay if the country is against the idea.
If we win the next RWC why would anyone think it's a bad idea for him to stay?
Wilderbeast

Post by Wilderbeast »

Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
General performance is poor and we scrape a win? Some are already not particularly happy with the coaching and his record has been outstanding. Seems unlikely. I know.
Grizz Wyllie

Post by Grizz Wyllie »

Foster’s assistants are McLeod (pre-ordained by NZR) and Jamie Joseph, who Ian has shoulder-tapped for the forwards role
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilderbeast wrote:
Ali's Choice wrote:
Wilderbeast wrote:
General performance is poor and we scrape a win? Some are already not particularly happy with the coaching and his record has been outstanding. Seems unlikely. I know.
I think any win would be celebrated effusively and Hansen would be afforded almost universal support across the NZ rugby community.
Turbogoat

Post by Turbogoat »

Grizz Wyllie wrote:Foster’s assistants are McLeod (pre-ordained by NZR) and Jamie Joseph, who Ian has shoulder-tapped for the forwards role
That's not filling me with confidence tbh.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Grizz Wyllie wrote:Foster’s assistants are McLeod (pre-ordained by NZR) and Jamie Joseph, who Ian has shoulder-tapped for the forwards role
I imagine a world with them in charge and I see an Exodus unlike any seens since Moses led the tribes to the promised land...

a steady stream of talent going for Easy Rugby up north that would become an Unstoppable Flood that would take years... nay, generations to repair.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

No problem with JJ, despite some of his famous cock-ups with Wellington (starting Jacob Ellison at lock, anyone?). But how the hell has McLeod emerged as one of NZ's elite coaches?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

A former AB captain told me, in his own words, that JJ is 'an absolute cunt of a bloke'.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mr bungle wrote:A former AB captain told me, in his own words, that JJ is 'an absolute cunt of a bloke'.
So he's Steve Hansen 2.0?
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Schmidt
Gatland
Rennie
Cotter
Foster

That's the contender list ranked from most to least likely by yours truly.