Heineken European Champions Cup R1: Leinster v Wasps

All things Rugby
Jeff the Bear

Re: Heineken European Champions Cup R1: Leinster v Wasps

Post by Jeff the Bear »

camroc1 wrote:
Liathroidigloine wrote:Dallaglio is a little biased on commentary.
No more so than BOD, in fairness.
I had to laugh when BOD called.thrm Bath. So leftfield and ultimately suggested he didn't give a shit who was playing Leinster.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Jeff the Bear wrote:
camroc1 wrote:
I had to laugh when BOD called.thrm Bath. So leftfield and ultimately suggested he didn't give a shit who was playing Leinster.
Sure it makes no difference these days anyway.
sockwithaticket

Post by sockwithaticket »

camroc1 wrote:
It's a total nonsense giving ex-players their own club to comment on. It's one of the few things I dislike about BTs coverage and it reaches it's nadir when you have both Kay and Healy on a Leicester game when they're not playing so well.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Just watching the game now. 14-3 at 1/2 time. Luke McGrath outdid two props (πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ). Sopoanga YC was correct (and stupid by him). Wasps were well and truly spanked
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

Just watched Poite being smashed to shite 😱😱

Hopefully no long term damage
danthefan

Post by danthefan »

Hong Kong wrote:Just watched Poite being smashed to shite 😱😱

Hopefully no long term damage
Ah I think he was ok. I wouldn't fancy running into Rhys Ruddock myself mind.
Gauss

Post by Gauss »

Hong Kong wrote:Just watching the game now. 14-3 at 1/2 time. Luke McGrath outdid two props (πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ). Sopoanga YC was correct (and stupid by him). Wasps were well and truly spanked
Had a feeling the yellow was the correct call. What do the laws say about this?

Post by 4071 »

Hong Kong wrote:Just watching the game now. 14-3 at 1/2 time. Luke McGrath outdid two props (πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈπŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ). Sopoanga YC was correct (and stupid by him). Wasps were well and truly spanked
Is it still correct if the pass that he deliberately knocked on was itself forwards?

Surely the correct call is scrum to Wasps, not penalty and yellow card against Wasps?
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

4071 wrote:
Is it still correct if the pass that he deliberately knocked on was itself forwards?

Surely the correct call is scrum to Wasps, not penalty and yellow card against Wasps?
Nope. No realistic chance to catch the ball and a line break situation. Yellow all day
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

It is tricky

My understanding was that foul play trumped a knock on advantage wise but that isn’t foul play
lorcanoworms

Post by lorcanoworms »

Just before Cronin's try ref called white 3 in at the side, I presume if he over ruled the try he would have awarded that penalty.

Post by 4071 »

Hong Kong wrote:
4071 wrote:

Nope. No realistic chance to catch the ball and a line break situation. Yellow all day
Except it's not a line-break situation if the Leinster pass is forward, right? Had Leinster scored from that, then the try would have been disallowed for the forward pass (if it had been reviewed).

Like Mullet said, foul play is one thing but deliberately knocking on a pass that was forward... a yellow seems harsh.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

One of those things that could be reviewed while the game goes on. Is it better to right a wrong as soon as possible rather than pretend you got the call right?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Hong Kong wrote:
4071 wrote:

Line break from a forwards pass...

Forward pass, advantage Wasps, knock on by Lima, advantage over, scrum Wasps.
Crash_12

Post by Crash_12 »

The sooner you Emerald fairies admit Henshaw is just a poundshop Jamie Roberts the better.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Crash_12 wrote:The sooner you Emerald fairies admit Henshaw is just a poundshop Jamie Roberts the better.
Didn't watch the game or even highlights, then, no?
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

Crash_12 wrote:The sooner you Emerald fairies admit Henshaw is just a poundshop Jamie Roberts the better.
We have Eurosaver here, sonny. None of that UK nomenclature thank you very much 8)
Nieghorn

Post by Nieghorn »

I found a 20 min extended hightlight vid on youtube and, Christ, Wasps’ defence was periodically amateurish. Missing posts, lazy re-alignment, ruck inspecting, hands on thighs, poor pressure, players clearly unsure who they should take / not trusting each other.

Without watching the full match, I did wonder if some were after 20 phases of one-out runners and Wasps simply were lulled to sleep. ;)
Plato'sCave

Post by Plato'sCave »

This was Calzaghe V Lacy.
Nolanator

Post by Nolanator »

Someone post that gif of Roberts trying a skip pass for Quin's(?) and then of Henshaw's skip last night before McGrath's try.
comets

Post by comets »

one farking irishman tried to kill the ref in this game, he should be banned for life.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Nieghorn wrote:I found a 20 min extended hightlight vid on youtube and, Christ, Wasps’ defence was periodically amateurish. Missing posts, lazy re-alignment, ruck inspecting, hands on thighs, poor pressure, players clearly unsure who they should take / not trusting each other.

Without watching the full match, I did wonder if some were after 20 phases of one-out runners and Wasps simply were lulled to sleep. ;)
It was 7-3 just before halftime and Wasps had defended well enough. The yellow and subsequent try killed them. Tackling was optional in the second half.
DOB

Post by DOB »

comets wrote:one farking irishman tried to kill the ref in this game, he should be banned for life.
When he's winning European Cups he's a poached Welshman, but he bumps into one ref...

Oh, and if the pass had been backwards, Sopoanga would've had even less chance of catching it. He shouldn't have been sticking his hand out for it anyway.

I do think refs are quick to jump for the yellow card on a genuine intercept effort generally, though.
Hong Kong

Post by Hong Kong »

hmm - shall go back and watch again to see if it was a forward pass